Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus

5 posters

Go down

Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus Empty Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus

Post  Bigkahuna Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey guys! Bigkahuna here. This is the mysterious game that I have been brainstorming/trashing/changing/refining for a while now. It has gone through a couple different phases…

Past Plans:

I still really want to try game #2 in the above “Past Plans” spoiler. We need some more humorous games out there.

…but I have decided to return to my first love of a fantasy-style, plot-heavy game. I know that there are several already out there, so I will try to sell my points here Wink. I wanted to go through proper channels instead of randomly posting my game like most GMs making a new game tend to do.

Invictus:

The Unconquered

Game Overview

Mid-high fantasy level : medieval-type settings, magic use, races other than humans, potential deities or super humans [demigods].

•Setting: Be prepared for a lot of text. I am not going to put my front-page game setting monologue just yet, but here are some basics of the game setting as well as some historical background for context.

Setting:

Plot-based game:
Diplomatic Relations:

Mechanics:

Skills:

Life and Death:

All right! Thanks for reading all that.

If you would like to join my game, please say that you support it.

If you think my game is worthy to join the ranks of the others gracing this forum, please say that you support it.

If you support my game but think it needs some improvement, please post your questions, comments, or concerns and I will do my utmost to address them.

If you think my game is crappy, unoriginal or dull in some way, please do not troll – give me some constructive criticism on how I can improve it.

Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus Empty Re: Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus

Post  8680 Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:01 pm

I endorse.
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:09 pm

I endorse
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Talkal Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:14 pm

I endorse
Talkal
Talkal
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:37 pm

What, no real constructive feedback whatsoever?

I'd like some comments, or if you think it's that perfect, a re-assurance that the game is blemish-free.

I'm sure that my application and game has flaws in places... I'd like to know where they are an actual issue. If anything comes to mind, please tell me about it.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:51 pm

How does equipment work? And how does currency work?
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 pm

1. Equipment? As in what?

2. Currency.

In its early days, Trinnea had established a national currency throughout its empire. Up to this point, people had traded hard goods to trade, or bits and pieces of gold and silver. Instead of attempting to invalidate the valuables the natives of the conquered territories already owned, the government enacted a unit of measurement, a trine, consisting of approximately one-half ounces. All monetary transactions were weighed on a scale relative to this measurement.

Often, remote villages would own a single government-authorized trine weight, and all trade interactions would involve using that trine and weighing it against any silver or gold they had available.

Without a mint, this was the utmost the Trinnean government could do without resorting to beating out each coin individually. When some enterprising citizen requested a patent for an experimental coin mold he had invented, the trine system was too ingrained to be replaced.

However, when Allebe and the nations in the R.A.N. seceded, one of their predictable first actions as sovereign nations was to change the currency. Each created their own separate national currency using the new minting system, but the exchange rate grew to be so clunky (1:0.27:0.18; trine:secerra:rayn) that finally international trade stagnated.

Thus, soon after the secession of Allebe, an agreement was reached to create a global currency. National pride required to include a portion of each of the nations' names inside of the name of the currency, but an argument started over which portion of the name of each nation was to take the honor of being the first syllable, so independent names were chosen.

Main unit of currency: Unica
Metal: a Bronze alloy
NOTE: coins worth multiple unicae (5, 8, 20, 50, 80) are commonly larger and made of gold and/or silver

10 fragmai = 1 unica
10 unicae = 1 nirva
10 nirvae = 1 satchel

NOTE: the highest unit of measurement, a 'satchel', was so called because people with this large armount of hard currency often carried it in much smaller units (and thus required a larger container) so as not to be mugged with an easily taken coin or bank receipt.

Last edited by bigkahuna on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:01 pm

By equipment I mean weapons and armor.
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Okay.

Weapons and Armour I like to divide in three sections, because there are three basic Combat branches: Magic, Melee, and Ranged.

The Combat Triangle is as so:

Magic > Melee
Melee > Ranged
Ranged > Magic

This is mostly because of the armor and weapons used.

Melee Armor and Weapons:

Ranged Armor and Weapons:
Magical Armor and Weapons:

Does these posts answer your questions? They're kind of long, but I thought it would clarify some things and incite interest in those who are legitimately curious in the game.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Saima Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:39 pm

To be honest, I can't seem to get a handle on how the game is going to roll.

Nothing is blatantly wrong with the mechanics, but I'm really not sure how it will play out.

Perhaps a mock roll would help?

Saima
Saima
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Sure. It's hard out of context, but I'll try. Not that the whole bit is not how I'm going to be rolling and interpreting actions -- it's just filler.

Example Roll:

Does that help you any? What you can take from this is that I'll generally do a couple of mid-term rolls to determine the outcome of a certain attack. Normally, environmental factors, player/enemy items/powers, and other things would also play a part.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Saima Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Alright. Thank you very much, as that does help me evaluate the game more thoroughly.

The thing I would watch out for is over-rolling. It seemed to me that the end of the encounter was just decided by the last roll (with the first one semi-irrelevant).

I'd still love to play the game, if I can find time.

I endorse this, with the power of 0.8 gods
Saima
Saima
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Saima wrote:The thing I would watch out for is over-rolling. It seemed to me that the end of the encounter was just decided by the last roll (with the first one semi-irrelevant).

Yeah, I've had this problem in the past. I agree with many other D&D GMs in the facts that the game should not entirely be based on luck, and the players/enemies should be able to react according to their natural intelligence outside of the narrow box that is their action.

I'm attempting to limit the scope of the players' rolls to end when their action is either completed, or they're in a position where it's either not possible to complete their action, or something happens which causes them to not be able to react (a wound, an unexpected occurrence, ducking for cover, trying to recover from something, etc.)

Otherwise, I'm going to roll for pretty much everything that is rollable. The systems are tailor-made to ensure that I'm not working my head off to write a page-per-action, though.

Well, I have my four endorsements. When my internet for my computer with the game main page file is working, or I get a USB stick to transfer it, I will put it up. Any other comments until then would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: That example roll is not my style... so don't be looking for quirky humor and Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Can I reserve a place?
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Of course. I very much doubt the game will start within 10 days anyway. I have to get into the college routine, first Wink
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down