Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Game! Coming Soon!

+3
Frogger5
Bigkahuna
Rulyon
7 posters

Go down

New Game! Coming Soon! Empty New Game! Coming Soon!

Post  Rulyon Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I've been moving towards completing my system and submitting and application for GM relatively soon. When I realized it was nearing the point that it's ready to submit, I occured to me that I've seen several games get locked the past few weeks. We have more games that are locked than we do that are running. Aeryn and Crunchtime have already expressed interest in playing , but I'd like to ask... who'd be interested in playing a game run by Yours Truly? Cool
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

New Game! Coming Soon! Empty Re: New Game! Coming Soon!

Post  Bigkahuna Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Ew.

Joking, of course Wink

But on a more serious note, the games are locking up mostly because the GMs are getting tired of running them. I'd suggest making a game that is fun to write as well as fun to play. If you don't like writing, then you don't stand much of a chance of making it very far.

As for myself playing it, I don't see why not, though it's hard to tell with no information about it.

There's a reason why we have a GM Application subforum instead of random 'would you like to play my game threads' such as this. Please make an application.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Rulyon wrote:I've been moving towards completing my system and submitting an application for GM relatively soon. When I realized it was nearing the point that it's ready to submit, I occured to me that I've seen several games get locked the past few weeks. We have more games that are locked than we do that are running. Aeryn and Crunchtime have already expressed interest in playing , but I'd like to ask... who'd be interested in playing a game run by Yours Truly? Cool

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't intending this to be my application. My intention was to gauge interest in new games altogether so I could ascertain whether spending time finalizing this was doing any good, or if I was wasting time that I could better spend working on my D&D campaign. GM application will come when I feel the game is ready enough for outside consultation.
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:09 am

Sorry -- I'm just trying to limit spam Smile

Yeah, I'd probably play your game if it was any good. Updates are few and far between on most games so I'd have plenty of time.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Frogger5 Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:19 am

Yeah, I think I would play. Smile
Frogger5
Frogger5
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Talkal Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:38 am

I would be happy to play it, one of the reasons is that I am now only in two games.

I am also thinking about making a game. Now it's only an idea in head, but soon I'll start to write it.
Talkal
Talkal
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:46 am

I would gladly join your game, if you'll have me.
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Saima Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I would join for sure. Please save a spot for me if you can Smile

Any spoilers about the genre or other aspects of the game?
Saima
Saima
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 pm

It's Fantasy genre, with a custom leveling magic system. I tried to make my magic system unique from others. It's not as free-form as the system in other games... No magic fire-farts or mind-controlling pastry dances. *wink*

You have the choice of several races in the game, not your standard Elves-Dwarves-Orcs selection, either. Each race has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages, so the players will have to work together to create a balanced group that can handle multiple situations. Where some games focus predominately on the strategy or all-out attrition combat, the primary focus of this game will be character and plot development.

The setting is that in the novel I'm writing, Wakening Call, and the adventure in the game we play will be "past events" that have shaped the future of the characters in the novel. That being said, certain events will certainly come to pass in the game; we will be creating the means by which these events came to pass.

Anything more detailed... you'll have to wait until I finish preparing it and submit my application. Smile
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Saima Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm slightly brokenhearted at the fact I won't be able to control minds while dancing in more than 1 game. Sounds very interesting, and I have a feeling that this could be a great game.

Good luck with the application!
Saima
Saima
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:43 pm

A few more questions if you don't mind...

How focused on numbers will it be (stats, damage, xp, etc.)?

What is one thing that your game has that makes it stand out from the others?

Just curious... how far along into your novel are you (and do you plan on publishing it)?
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:16 am

bigkahuna wrote:A few more questions if you don't mind...

How focused on numbers will it be (stats, damage, xp, etc.)?

What is one thing that your game has that makes it stand out from the others?

Just curious... how far along into your novel are you (and do you plan on publishing it)?

Well, being a D&D GM, I more comfortable using numbers and stats to keep track of advancement and combat. As a matter of fact, I plan on using much of the Pathfinder rule system, but modified by me to fit the story and streamlined to operate smoothly in a forum setting. I initially plan on keeping all numbers available to each player via a spoilered Stat Table in the OP. Since the characters are already established adventurers at the start of the game, they will not start out as a tubula rasa. Players will instead have a number of experience points to distribute as they wish to give their characters a (minor) starting edge in a certain actions and to encourage "class" behavior.

All actions will have a Difficulty Check (DC). A character's stat rating determines the Modifier (M) added to the Roll (R) for the action. If M+R=>DC, then the action was a success. The degree of success is determined by the difference between numbers.

HOWEVER, should it prove a hinderance to the enjoyment of the game for the players, I'll willingly reduce reliance on them.

One thing this game will have that the others don't is full disclosure. Players will ALWAYS know how close they are to advancing, unlike most of the others in which the information is kept private and only the occasional "Archery Skills Level Up!" message to notify them. They will have full control of their character development.

The other difference between this game and others is the story detail. Rather than being presented in the "you rolled X, you succeeded" methodology, rolls will instead be written in narrative form. As such, the actual roll numbers may, in certain circumstances, be hidden entirely. Rolls may be botched in a glorious fashion, while the players (and thus characters) proceed on their merry way, blisfully unaware of the problem until it jumps up and bites them 3, 10, or 20 turns in the future. Perhaps an interrogation or charm roll will fail. Rather than be stubborn and not talk, perhaps the NPC gives them (however maliciously or accidently) incorrect information. A stated weakness in a foe is actually a boon, a wrong cardinal direction is given, a vital portion of an incantation is left out of instructions.

BUT, On the OTHER HAND!!!....

A hidden boon may lay in their possession. Perhaps a failed appraisal check revealed a looted weapon to be a beat-up, rusted old sword. But the first time it draws blood in combat its true nature reveals itself. It's a weapon of great power, wielded far in the history by a Hero of Legend, enchanted with runes and dweamors that render it a true force to be reckoned with in the field. A marvelous persuasion roll, instead of granting permission to take martial action in a city, instead results in the characters being assisted in their search by the town guard, and information finds itself into their hands seemingly of it's own accord.

I have roughly 7 chapters completed, along with copious notes about future events I've yet to incorporate. I anticipate the final product will have between 28 and 32 chapters. Publication, I've yet to work towards. Once I have a more complete product I will pursue publication. HOWEVER, I do have feelers and samples out and one individual has expressed interest in helping me find a publisher once the time comes. Smile

As it is, the players of this game have an opportunity on having a part in the shaping of the course of history for the characters in the novel. I would LOVE to provide acknowledgements for anyone who contributes, however long into the future this will occur. (hopefully within the next year or so! ) All I will need is their permission. Smile
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:15 am

Sounds good! You will, I hope, have a list of house rules/how your system isn't exactly Pathfinder?

Rulyon wrote:... tubula rasa ...
What's that, blank potato? Razz
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:10 am

8680 wrote:What's that, blank potato?

More like a vanilla character Smile . He's saying that we'll not start out with a blank slate.

Sounds interesting, Rulyon. A (half-)true D&D game is something we haven't had yet.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:52 pm

bigkahuna wrote:More like a vanilla character Smile . He's saying that we'll not start out with a blank slate.
Yes, I know what tabula rasa means.
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  FoolishBalloon Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:21 am

Sounds GREAT! Count me in!

How many will play at once?

Will you have a waitlist?

How often will characters die?
FoolishBalloon
FoolishBalloon
High Gamemaster
High Gamemaster

http://www.spelochfiske.se

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:24 pm

I just saw this additional set of questions. Sorry for the wait, Foolish. I GM a large group, and can handle it fairly readily. I might fill it 6-8, depending on the number of interested parties. If enough people are interested, rather than have a waitlist, I'll run two games in the same universe.

In other words, (1 game of 6 players) or (2 games of 4 players each). People aren't having fun if they're not playing, right? bounce

How often will characters die? Well, that really depends on the rolls, doesn't it? Wink But to answer your question, the way I GM, once a character is mortally wounded, they will die after three turns of failed saving rolls. The injured individual can only try twice, then they fall unconscious. They are then completely reliant on their allies. One more failed saving roll, and they will die.
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  FoolishBalloon Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:37 am

That sounds great! I am am definetly in.
FoolishBalloon
FoolishBalloon
High Gamemaster
High Gamemaster

http://www.spelochfiske.se

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down