Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Really Great Games

5 posters

Go down

Some Really Great Games Empty Some Really Great Games

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Here are a couple of (free) games that I have really enjoyed during my exploration of the indie world and wanted to share with you guys. Some of the best games I've ever played.

Cave Story:
Platforming adventure game with a great story and great gameplay. You'll need to download the game as well as the English translation patch (assuming you don't speak Japanese Wink ). It's a cult favorite, meaning it doesn't get a lot of publicity (mostly word-of-mouth), but it's still one of the most played games ever. I only stumbled across it a while back. It has a 2D retro feel to it.

Treasure Adventure Game:
I think I like this more than Cave Story if only for its emphasis on exploration rather than weaponry. It has amazing gameplay, it has a huge open world, and there are tons of secrets to find. The boss battles are also incredible considering you get precious few attacks. More focus on platforming and such. If you're a fan of platformers, download this game.

EDIT: If there's any graphical issues (I had some), go to the Setup file included in the install.

If the window isn't scaling, turn the resolution down until it does (4X down to 1X if necessary).
If there's graphical tearing (line breaks in the screen), turn V-Sync on.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Some Really Great Games Empty Re: Some Really Great Games

Post  Rulyon Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks BK. Checking them out now.
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinobody Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:17 am

If you like platformers, I strongly suggest Iji. It's action-platformer with RPG elements and good storyline with strong anti-war themes. While the level sequence is linear, the way story progresses changes depending on your, player's, behaviour.
I also heard lot of good things about La-Mulana, but had no occasion to check it out yet.
Shinobody
Shinobody
Roleplayer
Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Frogger5 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am

I loooooooooove cave story! But the secret level is bloody hard.
Frogger5
Frogger5
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am

Frogger5 wrote:I loooooooooove cave story! But the secret level is bloody hard.
Haven't finished the game yet, actually Wink I got to the robotic boss and ragequitted before figuring out how to finish it... I had also played a longer than healthy time on it so I took a break Wink I'll give it another go later.

Shinobody wrote:If you like platformers...
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them out.

EDIT: La-Mulana is too hard for my tastes. You need the wiki just to THINK about even STARTING the game. And from some of the info on it, mistakes can be permanent. Saving requires an item in-game, and you have to go to the first screen to save. You can't heal without leveling up or getting a health crystal (which are fairly rare). I may just be a wimp, though Wink
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinobody Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:30 pm

It's that hard? Nice. Twisted Evil
They plan to release improved new version for WiiWare with toned down difficulty, and apparently this version will also get PC release. But I guess not for free anymore. Rolling Eyes
Shinobody
Shinobody
Roleplayer
Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 pm

And it looks a bit too retro for me Smile

Iji looks pretty cool so far, though. Less of a platformer and more of an adventure shooter type game, though.

Has anyone tried Treasure Adventure yet? I'd like to know their thoughts on it so far.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I can't play it. I've started a new game twice, gone through the prologue... but the game crashes the moment the grandmother walks off the side of the screen.
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Frogger5 Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:25 pm

I have a mac, so i cant play any of these. Sad
Frogger5
Frogger5
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Rulyon wrote:I can't play it. I've started a new game twice, gone through the prologue... but the game crashes the moment the grandmother walks off the side of the screen.

I had some weird issues, mainly graphical. Make sure that your graphic settings are on 32-color (Right-click on Desktop > Properties > Settings > Color Quality [on PC]).

Frogger5 wrote:I have a mac, so i cant play any of these.

Here's a suggestion from a gaming site which reviews PC games. They list a few sites that help with crossovers between PC and Mac.

"Try Boot Camp or Parallels or CrossOver Games"
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Frogger5 Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:58 am

Yeah, i do actually have virtualbox, but its a real elephant to get going. Crossover looks interesting however.
Frogger5
Frogger5
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Frogger5 wrote:Crossover looks interesting however.
Hefty price tag too, I just noticed.

Here are a couple of other neat games I found. Also platformer, exploration, with very ambient atmosphere and music, and some pretty awesome environments. Very lonely games as well. No combat, but some enemies to dodge in there. Mostly made as atmospheric games, and enjoyable to play.

Knytt

Knytt Stories is the same concept, but with a more Metroidvania feel (collect upgrades to reach new areas and such). It also has some cool new features. Each level is its own little game, and there are a couple of expansion packs besides the one that comes with the initial download.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  JackBarber Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:31 pm

OK, I'm having problems with Treasure Adventure Game to... it passes the whole photo intro thing but then it goes to some people on a boat and after advancing the text a bit, the boat still moves around and the music keeps going but the buttons no longer respond...
JackBarber
JackBarber
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down