Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Archive]Prismpunk

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[Archive]Prismpunk Empty [Archive]Prismpunk

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 am

Title: Prismpunk
Author: Zerovirus

Overview:

World Lore:

Gameplay:

How to Acquire Abilities:

Concept Magic Seminar:

Material Magic Seminar:

How to Join:

Current Known NPC:

Last edited by mnewton1 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 11 times in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25274

Back to top Go down

[Archive]Prismpunk Empty Re: [Archive]Prismpunk

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 am

GAME STARTS

All of you sit in a covered wagon, following a military caravan on its way to the front-lines.

The four of you weren’t actually accessories to this operation, as the fact was. You were traveling blades, looking for a battle, a lord, or maybe even a war to try out your weapons with. The small nation of Raitala was, after all, never peaceful- the nation had only survived out a hundred years by mastering bargains and politics, hinging on its powerful neighbors to protect it from its other powerful neighbors, flipping from one side to another on the turn of a clip. That, of course, meant that Raitala wasn’t all that prosperous, as a constant warzone on the political and physical battlefield. Heck, you probably aren’t even full-blood Raitalans. Native Raitalans only compose, what, a fifth of the nation’s population anyways? Everybody else just came from another nation- Raitala’s too transient to impose any real border customs, anyways.

And a bump in the road shakes the four of you out of a shared conversation, as the creaky wheels bounce past yet another pocked hole in the poorly-maintained dirt road. And as the canvas sides of your vehicle stop shaking, you return to your original topic of discussion.
A Sixfold Splitter. Can you believe it? Legends, they said. Ancient myths, born of the ramblings of a fireside storyteller or town lunatic. And not just a normal splitter- a Chromatic, Overlimit one! The sheer utility of it, capable of splitting a single beam into six equally powerful, differently-colored beams- it’d make a legendary weapon, or failing that it’d be an incredible hold for any wealthy collector’s glass cabinets.
And you’ve heard that the army’s got hold of it. What? It’s not like you guys were going to try and steal it or something. That’d be, well… Absolutely foolish!

Besides, you don’t want to challenge the Army now. After all, you guys are hitching a ride, hoping to become mercenaries in the front-lines of the new war. Who was it this time- did the Arsene Commonwealth invade again, perhaps, or maybe the Hethasila Democratic Republic Which Is Not A Dictatorship At All?

Meh. You don’t care. Fighting will make you some money- and perhaps, at some point, you can sneak past enemy lines and finally get out of the hellhole known as Raitala. You’ve heard there’s all sorts of wonders of light out there, and all four of you have agreed to try and sneak your way through one of the front-lines. That’s another reason why Raitala doesn’t have customs- every mile of their borders is at war practically all of the time, which really saves the effort needed to patrol said borders, in a twisty way.

‘Course, you can’t tell anyone else about this. Treason doesn’t go well with hitching a ride on an army caravan. So you just relax and listen to Sergeant Sanja snap her whip in the front, driving the mules and oxen forward.

As the four of you relax, watching the countryside roll past, you hear a snap, and the covered wagon that carries the four of you along with some food lurches violently. All of you are thrown off your seats as another snap comes from the back wheel, firmly grounding the wagon with a crunch.

“What? What was that?” You distinctly hear Sanja yell from the front of the caravan. From your great vantage point to this whole mess, you think the wheels probably croaked or something. They were old and creaky, after all.

As you four hurriedly untangle your limbs and climb out of the crashed wagon, you find a gathering of guards and Sanja herself dismounting to inspect the two broken wheels. Sanja, taking note of you, rolls her eyes. “What did you guys do this time? Actually, don’t answer that, if it was you I’m tired of dealing with you and if it wasn’t I don’t want to hear anything.”

What do you do?
>How do you respond to Sanja's sarcasm?
>What do you do about the broken wheels?

DISCUSSION MODE

Player Status:

Last edited by mnewton1 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 am

Roll #1

Bigkahuna (Jonathan Kmetz):
7 >Sarcasm Response - Just blow it off. Sanja's a jerk anyway.

As you dismissingly wave a hand at her while turning away, Sanja's frown deepens- and she strides towards you. "What do you think you are doing? I swear, every time you try to do something..."

18 >>Wheel Response - Attempt to fix the wheels.

You continue to ignore her as you grab the wheel, which as you could see had only been slightly buckled- and accidentally snap it in half. Whoops. A small bit of smoke wafts into the air as you drop the two wheel halves, Sanja's frown growing into a full-blown snarl. Well, that certainly didn't get you any bonuses.

Wait. Where'd the smoke come from?

You drop to the ground and grab a half of the wheel, turning it around and analyzing it-

SEARCH CHECK ROLLS: 13, 9 SUCCESS

...The wood smells of flame and fire- and it's not the normal type of fire either. No, this is the cleaner burn that results from a tactical laser. You've seen this kind of cut before, on battlefields- snipers have always been an unfortunate issue to deal with in combat.

But who would snipe a wagon instead of the people on the wagon? And for that matter, if they wanted to kill people why didn't they start shooting already?

XxOriginxX (Oranen Ispil):
7 > Tell Sanja: "It does not matter what the cause, it just matters how we would fix it. Exactly how bad is the damage to the wheels?".

But before you can speak, Jonathan turns around and hand the half of the wooden wheel to Sanja, almost shoving it into her to her surprise, so close had she advanced. She drops her weapons to clutch the broken circle, and one sniff from the wood is all.

"Even you guys wouldn't blunder this badly. I mean, snapping the wood in half so bad you light it on fire? Now that's a feat." She cocks an eyebrow at you as Jonathan says, "Someone sniped this wheel in half with a laser. I've seen the type."

Sanja makes no acknowledgement but a frown, even as her soldiers suddenly start sweating quite a bit more.

At this point, you feel that you have to ask. "Exactly how bad is the damage to the wheels?"

Sanja sighs. "It's... Well, you can tell. The wheels are pretty much ruined."

Wesfreak (Steven Zrael):

13 Ignore Sanja's sarcasm. "I don't suppose the anyone had the foresight to pack any spare wheels?"

Sanja frowns at you, once more (it's like she can't do anything but frown) as she replies. "We... considered such a possibility, but we only have one spare wheel. We can't do anything for the other burnt wheel. I suppose the economy of our mighty nation has its... downsides."

6 If there are spares, help change the wheels. Otherwise "I guess we're walking from here, aren't we?".

"What? No. That's absolutely moronic. Do you see how many supplies and soldiers we have here? There's no way we can carry all this stuff, and all the other caravans are practically loaded to the max since we had to make space in the back for you bumblers. And if I can't get this to the Laserwalk, the generals will have... Well, not my head but certainly my chevrons."

Then, Sanja grins.

"You know what? Since you guys have been freeloading in the back, and you haven't been doing anything at all this entire trip- why don't you go and find me some wheels?"

Oh. Oh what. That is completely unreasonable! It's at least three hours' walk to the nearest village, and even though it's just morning you still don't want to spend six hours of the day walking around.

>What do you say about Sanja's request?
>What do you do about the fact that the wheels seemed to have been sabotaged?
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:43 am

Roll #2

XxOriginxX (Oranen Ispil):
19: Respond to Sanja: "I think I have an even better idea for our wheel dilemma..."

"Really? Let's see what you have in mind, then, Ispil." She takes a step back to watch you as you...

16: Major: Cut off a section of the wagon canvas, and attempt to use it to wrap the two broken ends of the wheel back together..

Sanja sighs as you begin cutting off large strips of the canvas, but subsequent attempts at wrapping up the wheel prove quite ineffective, due to a lack of anything to stably hold the wheel in place. It's obvious that the wheel couldn't even support the weight of a housecat when repaired like this, even less the weight of an entire military supply wagon.

Averting Sanja's critical glare, you sheepishly pocket the canvas, an action that she sniffs at but otherwise ignores. Well, it was worth a try!

Bigkanuna (Jonathan Kmetz):
11: Reply to All:"I don't why you guys haven't thought of this yet, but as our wagon was shot from under us the culprits are likely still here. Anyone want to come with me to search?"

"Way ahead of you. My soldiers have already started systematically scanning the area."

And as you look, indeed, the troops under Sanja's command begin to wave outwards in a fan pattern, determined to scour the zone for all evidence.

Sanja grins at you, reminding you of a shark's smile right before the assault. "Aren't they well-trained, mister Kmetz?"

12: >>Look around for evidence of the shooters, or even better, the shooters themselves..

Though the soldiers are already on it, you go ahead and take a look around anyways. While the others are busy talking to Sanja, you stride around in the general direction of the sabotage- since both wheels were from the same side of the wagon, only one group of snipers could exist. However, despite your best efforts, your searches yield nothing, and all you found for your efforts were footprints that, after leading away from the trains for a few feet, abruptly vanished. Momentarily confused, you decide to return to the main group.

Wesfreak (Steven Zrael):
13: "Are you expecting us to buy things for the military on our own cash? We're gonna need some clips to buy a wheel."

"Yes, and yes. I'm sure you brought some money."

You stare Sanja off. She commences likewise in your direction; the sparks fly until she sighs and pulls out her personal handbook.

"I can't have the military budget going towards fixing my caravan's mistakes, and I certainly can't have something like this on the record. But I suppose your complaint is valid."

And with that, she flings a handful of clips at your face; you snatch some of them out of the air, but the majority land in the parched dirt. Collecting them all up, you find that she's given you a hundred clips in all.

"Don't bother thanking me. Kmetz, Ispil, and whatever you other two guys' names are, get going. Even on a donkey you'll still take two hours to get to the village we passed a while back."

What a polite dismissal.

Player Status:
>What do you do?
>Do you pursue the only lead found thus far, the footprints?
>Do you head to town to pick up the supplies necessary?

Last edited by mnewton1 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 am

Roll #3

Bigkahuna:

14 Tell Sanja that I will be going to town. Grab some food/basic supplies; some weapons and clips if I can find them, and follow our group. Also suggest [to Sanja] that her soldiers follow the footprints.

"Alright, alright, fine, sergeant girl. We'll be heading to town as soon as we acquire some supplies and whatnot for the hours-long trip."

Sanja simply gestures behind her shoulder, barking out a command- "Ryvin, go grab four sets of traveling rations!" As the soldier runs off, you voice your second request.

"...How about some weapons?"

"What?"

"I mean, this is a military operation, you guys have weapons and we don't know what we may see out there-"

"Denied, for the following reasons: First, the weapons are state property and I can't loan them out. Second, I don't trust that you won't run away with them as soon as you get out of eyeshot. Third, I already gave you a hundred clips and I don't really think enough of you to risk more matériel on you."

Sanja smiles again. She's really getting on your nerve, and practically seeing your face reflected in her pristine teeth isn't helping your temper cool down.

"I'm sure you have your own weapons, don't you?"

Wesfreak:

12 Pack up a decent sized lunch and some spare medical supplies (if anyone asks, say that I'll be gone for five hours at least, and will need food, and that the supplies might be useful in case I get hurt)and a compass/map and get going towards the nearest town. "The rest of you guys coming?"

The soldier jogs back, not panting in the slightest, bearing four packs of food under his shoulder. A cursory examination reveals enough carbohydrates and water to last you two days- much more than you'd anticipated a need for! Perhaps Sanja was actually generous with her allotment, for once. Still, you're missing crucial gear.

"How about a compass, a map, and some medical supplies?"

"What, you didn't come with a map? I thought you were all about preparedness," Sanja quips back, pulling a scroll out of a knapsack held to her side. "Here. Don't lose it."

You pocket the map, figuring that you wouldn't really need it unless something unexpected happened. The village was right back there on the road, after all.

"And medical-"

"Yes, yes, that too. As I've said, I can't spare supplies from the main caravan. I do have a pair of leftover gelpacks, though- you can have them if they're not too expired."

You're starting to get used to this kind of thing.

"Whatever." You turn, beckoning Oranen with you, and approach the donkeys that were pulling your wagon.

XxoriginxX:

9 Go with Wes, and also collect needed supplies.

You receive the same rations as Steven, who you follow as he mounts a donkey and begins trodding forward towards the next town.

Jackbarber:

15 [To Sanja] "Might I remind you, someone took a shot at us, in my mind they are either slowing down the supply line, or stopping this wagon to get a better shot at you, Sergeant. I say you get to cover as quickly as possible, you don't really know how many assassins could even be out there."

"You're probably right on the supply slowing bit. I've heard that supply wagons are getting ambushed all around this area- hence the increased number of guards." Sanja grins smugly. "I doubt any bandit force could overcome my sentries. And if they wanted me dead, with a sniper that good I'd be long dead. They're probably just foreign insurgents trying to slow our war effort without legal accountability of murder outside of a warzone."

12 Pack up anything that I may have forgotten in the wagon and get ready to leave. (Follow the others.) "Would it be alright if we took some supplies? The people who tried to stop this caravan may not want it moving again... and if that's true we don't know what we might run into on the way to town."

Sanja waves you off as you receive your rations pack last, ignoring the other clauses of your sentence. Turning around, she briskly strides around and begins setting up markers for an easily-defensible temporary respite. "Get back here soon. If you don't get back before night, we'll just dump your wagon here and you can walk all the way to the Shikahu Front."

The four of you, having mounted your donkey steeds, begin plodding off into the distance, your shadows long and lanky in front of you, pointing the way down the road.

"You know, I think your donkey looks healthier than mine."

"You always say that.'

"Don't suppose you want to trade? No? Okay."

------

Two and a quarter hours later...

"Well, we're here. Doesn't look like a big place- do you think they have what we need?"

"I guess we can find out, and we can at least buy some other stuff, maybe."

"Say, what's that sign say? Welcome to... I can't read it from here, the sign's too faded."

As you dismount to take a closer look, you step on an errant, fluttering piece of paper.

"Hmm... Guess Sanja was right. This is a really old newspaper, something about outlaws stealing the supplies of the last supply train, on the other road that leads to the Shikahu Front." You drop the paper and wipe off its grime on the pelt of your donkey, who looks at you with something approaching disapproval.

"Anyways, that sign reads 'Welcome to Dovrutt.' From the looks of this place, maybe they should rename it Dogbutt."

With a distinct lack of snickers, the four of you pace around, wondering where to go from here. The main street (and the only street in the town, apparently) is devoid of villagers, and the only building that stands out seems to have actually been painted upon its completion. Needless to be said, the paint is now yellowed and peeling, a sad sight in an even sadder town. Some various shops, boasting 'Fine Weaponry' and 'Components and Comestibles', though just as decrepit as the rest of the village, seem yet to be open. Eighteen buildings line the single road, and in the distance you can see two barns.

Where do you go from here?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am

Roll #4

Jackbarber:
Place a hand on the grip of my Cryspistol, just in case.
You do so, though you don't see any threats anywhere nearby. Feeling slightly foolish, you relax again even though none of your party noticed your tension.

"Sure looks rundown, where do you guys think we should head to?"

“James, I think the answer is obvious,” replies Jonathan. “The components shop generally carries various tools, and they probably know where we could get some if they don’t carry wheels.”

Raise my other hand and point towards the two shops. "So you think we could find any wheels in those places?"

“Probably,” Oranen nods.

XxOriginxX:
"However, it appears that there is a good chance that the people in this town know each other very well. That means that they know we are from the outside, and might treat us strangely. Expect some rudeness."

"If any of them try something unseeming, I'll punch them in the thinkbox."

"..."

"Okay, so I won't do that."

1 > Attempt to fashion my square of canvas into a pouch, to carry my rations, and my clips. After that, enter the fine weaponry store, and examine the merchandise

CRITICAL FAILURE

As you pull out your canvas from your knapsack, a stray hook inside clings onto the canvas, creating a large rip. Disappointed, you put the cloth right back inside after realizing that it was probably no good as a potential container. Instead, you return to the discussion as you mentally consider what new fabulous weapons might be accessible in the store.

Wesfreak:
"Well, if we know what we’re doing, I'm going to go buy the wheel. Maybe a spare, too. Anyone up for some gun shopping afterwards?"

“I’ll skip right to the guns, thank you very much- and I have some intention of melee weapons as well. Variety’s always good, no?” Jonathan says even as he strides off towards the weapon store, tying his donkey to a post.

Find a store that seems likely to sell wheel replacements and buy 2 wheels. Then check to see what the gun store has for sale.

You enter the components store to see a skinny boy, no more than sixteen, snoozing on top of some barrels. A cough wakes him up and he twists his reclining form in shock, bouncing off his makeshift bed with a clatter.

Slightly embarrassed, you step forward to see him standing up behind the clerk’s desk.

“So, uh, my dad’s… Not here. What can ah help ya with, guy? You look like you’re from out of town.”

As you consider your response, James enters the door behind you, looking around at the dimly lit room.

XxOriginxX:
"Well, if we do see anybody, just be careful. The last thing you want to do is aggravate the entire town. Anyway, you guys go find some wheels, I will examine the guns available."

James nods at you as you walk off, following Jonathan towards the weapon store. James, for his part, ties all the donkeys to the same post, muttering about responsibility, before departing towards the general store.

You enter the gun store right behind Jonathan, who seems already engrossed in the analysis of various offerings the burly proprietor of the store holds.

“Hey, man, come look at this- fibe-op whips, and some nicer weapons than what I have…”

“Guy, they’re out of your price range, based on your money pouch.” The shopkeeper seems quite direct and brash, even.

“Uh, yeah, about that, I don’t suppose you, Oranen, could loan me some money? I’ll pay you back the first chance I get.”

XxOriginxX and Bigkahuna are currently in the Weapons Store. Wesfreak and JackBarber are in the Components store.

What are your actions?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 am

Roll #5

XxOriginxX:

"Sorry, Jonathan. I know that you will eventually pay me back, however, now is not the time to be setting up loans. If mass-produced guns are out of the question, maybe the parts for the guns themselves are possibly affordable with our current amount of cash." Leave the store, and enter the component store..

Jonathan sighs at you. "Yeah, I guess I couldn't expect too much from you, we're all kinda strapped for cash right now." He turns to the shopkeeper, who smells vanishing business and reacts with a scowl. "Sorry, weapons man. I don't really have the cash for your wares and, well, you heard him." Turning to you again, Jonathan shrugs. "Meh. Let's go see how the other two are doing."

Without anything better to do, the two of you head down towards the component store, entering just in time to see Steven take ahold of four wheels.

Wesfreak:

"Our caravan lost a wheel. Do you know where we could get one to replace it, as well as a spare?"

The kid looks at you and scratches his head, before turning around to the array of items.

"...Nothing on the walls, but I don't think... The shelves aren't strong enough for wheels, anyways. What's your wheel diameter?"

"Oh, er... uh, two and a half feet."

"Right..." He mumbles something as he walks into what seems to be a back storageroom. When he returns, you see him carrying a stack of four wheels. "So, uh, here's some replacement wheels, eighty clips total. Where're ye guys from, anyways?"

As you hand over the eighty clips, you reply in a conserved tone.

"We're travelers."

Jackbarber:

To the kid at the counter "Hmm, what all have you got for sale here? "
Take a look at the various items on the shelves..

"Well, we carry all sorts of supplies... Yannow, gelpacks and antidotes and things. We have some components anyways, prisms and things, but... uh, we don't have working batteries, so... uh, I don't think we can make custom weapons for you." The poor kid looks somewhat downtrodden after admitting it, and you wonder what component store wouldn't have a stash of fully charged batteries at, well, any time.

"I see."

"Anyways, gelpacks're twenty clips per and antidotes are thirty clips per. So, uh, you want to buy something?" He finishes his sentence with an imploring look. Apparently, the store really doesn't get much business- and you can't fault the guy, really. The road is practically deserted.

The kid picks up the conversation again, in his usual mumbling diction. "...But yeah, you look like the type that's got some experience in just things, and... uh, I was wondering if you could, uh, help us with some..."

He trails off as you look at him impassively. His words seem to have stemed as he finds himself pressed for words- and you detect a hint of reticence in his words, as if he's hiding something that he doesn't want to keep secret.

What do you do?
How do you respond to the shopkeeper's son's words?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

Roll #6

Jackbarber:

Look at Steven and hold out my hand. "Hey, do you still have that old newspaper?"

Once Steven (wesfreak) hands me the Newspaper, look to the boy and hold it out.
"Does this 'thing' have anything to do with this?".

Steven shuffles his pockets before looking up and shaking his head.

"I think I dropped that grimy rag when we arrived. I mean, it was in really sorry condition and my hands were dirty enough as is."

The kid at the counter looks up and immediately ducks under the table, pulling out a fresher copy of the newspaper. "One newspaper's one clip."

"You're kidding." But from the look on the kid's face, he's not kidding. Sighing, you reluctantly hand over the single clip. "Fine. Anyways, does the event on the front page have to do with what you're asking us to help you with?"

The kid looks confused for a second. "Uh, I'm not sure, maybe? Kinda, well, it's... You know we don't have charged batteries, right? Well, it's because our solar plates on the roof got sabotaged. We can't recharge any of our wares!"

"My condolences. What do you expect us to do, though? We're not repairmen or luxchemists."

"Well..."

XxOriginxX:

Ask the kid, "Some sort of conflict you are having to deal with. If so, just tell us. I would gladly help in your plight."

The kid looks at you slightly nervously.

"Don't tell anyone I said this, especially not my Dad!.. But... there were bandits. There have been bandits since right after that newspaper came out, and I think they're the same people."

Now he just looks frightened.

Still, that isn't very much information for you to make a decision on. "And where or who would these bandits of yours be?"

"...Ask the Mayor, he's, uh, in the big manor with paint and stuff." The kid turns away and deliberately ignores you in favor of rearranging things on the shelves. You get the feeling he regrets asking you for help- perhaps out of a fear of backlash?

Concealing your surprise that such a backwater as this possesses a Mayor, you instead turn to discuss this with your party members.

What do you ask the kid about? Is there anything you need to know about him- motivations, family, name, history? What do you intend on doing about this possible bandit menace, or will you simply return with your replacement wheels, and leave this backwater to its eventual fate of becoming a ghost-town?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 am

Roll #7

XxOriginxX:

20 "Any idea where these bandits may be?".

PERSUASION CHECK: CRITICAL SUCCESS

"Uh... I once think I saw a group of them skulking around after dark, when I was out trying to steal something from the shop across the door. The bandits were on his roof cutting up the solar plates- so it's not just me, the whole town has been without steady light for the last week!"

"That's helpful, but not quite what I asked."

"Ah, uh, right, sorry. Anyways, the Bandits skulked up the road, and vanished into an alley. Judging from the direction they went, I'd say they went to the northwest of here... I don't know the concise location, though. You should probably ask... Other people. I bet the Mayor or the other shopkeep knows more."

You barely catch him mutter "...Or my dad, if he were here."

Seems like he's got no more useful info on the location of these bandits to offer.

Jackbarber:

Hum a bit.
"How much more time do we have until we need to be back guys?".

Steven looks at a wall-mounted clock. "It's about ten of the clock, so we still have quite a while; the sun sets at six in the afternoon so budgeting three hours for a return trip means we have five hours, from now to three o'clock. Plenty of time, I suppose."

"The bandits can't be that far away- none of the other towns have reported anything like this. I betcha it's just us they're para... passa... parastiting... Leeching off of!"

Hmm.

Wesfreak:

Head over to the mayor's house to ask him about his bandit problem.

You take your leave with a confident flourish, turning with a last farewell phrase. "Don't worry. We'll have this trouble dealt with before we leave this town."

"Yeah, 'cause if we don't deal with it before we leave, we probably aren't coming back to finish with it," Oranen snarks. "We're on a time crunch, folks. Let's get a move on!"

Jackbarber:

Follow the others to the mayor's place to see what's up.

"...So this is it?"

"It looked a bit bigger from far away."

The manor, standing majestically- wait, no. Make that 'pretending to stand majestically'. Well, whatever the age of this decaying structure was, it was clear that its prime had long passed. Paint peeling from walls, revealing faded brick and rotten wood inside; not to mention the cracked glass windows. Well, at least this house had glass windows- the other houses just had holes in the walls. Gotta get your illumination, after all.

As the four of you approach the door, you notice something.

"...How do we, uh, announce our presence?"

For there was no doorbell, no convenient pressed button, no knocker, and no eyeslit. In fact, the door looked quite crumply, as if a knock would send it to the ground in a rotten heap. None of you wanted to go first, for fear of causing even more property damage. Where would you buy a replacement door from, anyways? Wheels are one thing, but...

The conundrum is solved by the door opening itself on creaky hinges. A woman past her prime, perhaps age fifty or fifty-five, peeks out.

"What's this? Strangers! Come in, come on! The illustrious Manor Luvidda, home to the Mayor of this town! Come on down, Jenkins, and serve our guests!"

As you step in, afraid to break a hole through the floorboards, you notice that no such Jenkins shows up.

"Ah-hem! Excuse my dear. She's been a little confused of late, still doesn't know that we dismissed the butler a few months ago."

A portly man, standing in some worn tuxedo clothes which were, perhaps, once glamorous and enameled with all sorts of reflective trim, but now worn, clears his throat again, descending the spiral staircase to your left and greeting the four of you.

"I see we have visitors, well-armed ones at that! If you're here for loot, I'm afraid we're already taken. If you're here for hospitality, welcome! I am Mayor Luvidda. What can I do for you?"

What do you say? How do you proceed to question him about the bandits? What do you make of the kid's testimony about the Bandits' actions and location

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:35 am

Roll #8

XxOriginxX:

Wait outside the mayor' house, to meet up with the group after they finish questioning the mayor.

Deciding to stand outside instead of entering, you remain stiffly upright, awaiting the others to finish. Unfortunately for you, you seem to have caught the eye of Mrs. Luvidda.

"Oh dear, your friends are all inside! Why don't you come inside and enjoy a spot of tea?"

"...Thank you, but I'm alright."

"Well, that's no way to do! Why, you're just like those youngsters last time, called themselves adventurers or whatnot. Me, I thought they looked like hooligans. I swear, the people of your age- running around with unrestricted prism guns everywhere. In my age, the government kept watches on weapons and dangerous things like prisms, and..."

And thus, you are forced to listen to the old woman's babbling, to growing frustration. You begin to regret your decision to remain outside.

Wesfreak:

"Actually, we were wondering what we could do for you. You seem to have a bandit problem, and we have the means to dispose of said problem. Any information you can give us as to the bandits whereabouts and location, will be much appreciated. As well as any speculation as to why on earth a group of bandits would want with solar panels: I'm almost positive their plotting something."

Mayor Luvidda sighs as he beckons the three of you towards a relatively well-preserved table.

"I'm sure of that too. I mean, I too have heard the most inauspicious news. Bandits, robbing state caravans! Imagine that. What has our proud state fallen to, now? Where is the pride of Raitala, nowadays?"

None of you voice your disagreements as he continues his tirade.

"Bah. These bandits are nothing but scum- but I admit, their actions have plagued my curiosity as well. The solar plates aren't all that valuable, and frankly I'm not sure what they're doing with them. It's like they don't have a power source- being the criminals they are, perhaps they indeed don't. It is a horrendous act to leech the lifelight from a town in such a way, though. Horrendous, I say!"

20 "Yes... Perhaps you know their exact location?"

INFORMATION CHECK: CRITICAL SUCCESS + TWIN CONSECUTIVE CRITICAL ROLL OVERLIMIT SUCCESS!

Special bonus activated!

"Yes... In fact, the single time I caught a bandit encroaching in my mansion, he left behind a convenient map! I would have gone after them myself, but, you know... We're so far out here, and I'm nowhere near the fighter I once was! You should have seen me, though. Melbin Luvidda the Luminant Fist! Yes, oh yes, my fisticuffs were renowned and known through the lands in my prime- AH-HEM!"

"So, you have that map with you?"

"Ah, yes, I do." Luvidda shuffles around in some drawers under the table, eventually extracting a parchment with some rough drawings. "Look closely."

"The bandits... They're to the northwest, just as that shopkeeper boy said."

"Ah, yes. Tiven, poor lad- his father vanished a few weeks ago without warning. Now that I think about it, it was about the same time the bandits started showing up- do you think it's a coincidence?"

"..."

"Eh, silence is a fair response! Anyways, with the foot speed you youngsters have, you should be able to avoid most of the distractions of the forest and reach their lair within an hour's walk! What say you? These rapscallions deserve a good defeat, one they've deserved for weeks!"

Hevidda chortles, his resplendent mirth causing some of your party to grin slightly. This guy's just full of liveliness, isn't he?

What do you do? Will you depart to hunt down these troublemakers now, or will you prepare in other ways? Returning to the caravan is still an option, of course, but given your investment into these issues...

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:38 am

Roll #9

XxOriginxX:

Meet up with the group, and follow them to their destination, whether wagon or bandits..

Jackbarber:

9 "Hmm, I say we go and take care of those bandits... Mayor, do you have anything that might be useful?".

"No, I'm afraid I've made all the resources at my disposal available. It's not like we have all that much in resources, anyways, to be honest." Luvidda shrugs. "If you go and reclaim our solar plates, you should be able to get back just in time for high noon, the optimal time to charge our batteries."

"Well, thank you, er, Mayor Luvidda."

"Best luck to you and your friends! Perhaps today we shall finally see the menace extinguished, oh-ho!" He merrily waves you on the way as you leave through the door.

Following the map, you make a duck down a dark alley- only to see a wall impeding your way.

"That wall's at least twenty feet high. No way we can get over it."

4 "Well, let's at least try!"

You watch in dismay as Jonathan attempts his acrobatic maneuver, only to fail miserably and fall ten feet back to the ground with a crack. Fearing for his spine or something of the like, you rush over to see himself embedded in the ground, somehow.

"...You have the most insane luck, you know that?"

"What?"

"You managed to embed your rear into a trapdoor's entrance, breaking the lock."

"Is this how the bandits have been getting into the town largely unseen?"

"I guess. It's worth investigation, at any rate."

And so, the four of you descend into the trapdoor, carefully using the ambient light of your prism swords to light the way. As you continue, it becomes apparent that the path is no simple cellar, but more of a dungeon or sewer; mold lines the walls, and unspeakable sludges mold themselves around your trooping feet. The place is quite desolate in its disgusting atmosphere.

"So, par for the place then?"

"Well, based on what we've seen, pretty much."

As the four of you continue to drive slurs at the town's condition, suddenly, you stop as Steven gestures at you.

"...There's something up there."

"What?" you whisper back.

"Eyes. Eight of them. Bet you it's a crystal spider."

"Oh no."

"Oh yes! Battle, I say!"

The beastie lurking ahead has...

...lazily noticed your presence, luminescent veins beginning to glow brighter and change colors- the spider has definitely noticed intruders, by now.

What do you do? The tunnel you are in is approximately ten feet wide, ten feet tall, making the spider large enough to block any forward movement, and the distance between you and the spider is approximately twenty feet. How do you prepare to fend off this menace?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 am

Roll #10

COMBAT ENGAGED, MAJOR AND MINOR GAMEPLAY RESTRICTIONS ACTIVATED
All players must make their commands before an update is made. Follow normal R2D Major/Minor action rules as long as the combat continues.

Wesfreak:
11 Draw both my weapons. Keeping my distance from the spider, fire my pistol.

XxOriginxX:
Pull out my pistol, and wield it alongside my blade, being ready if it is to make any advance on us.

Before anyone can react, Steven draws his blades and fires one shot at the darkness. The bolt of energy illuminates the shadows as it travels down the corridor, and the shape of the creature is revealed: Indeed, a grotesque beast.

The spider rears back as the bolt impacts and scars one of its eight legs; it rears back and...

... charges at Steven, fins on its back leaving a brilliant emerald trail, a light-powered dash through the shadows. Steven, for his part, is no laggard as he spins to deflect the enemy without hesitation, leaping into the air and intercepting its many-legged strike with some swordplay of his own.

16 A clash of swirling, the green of the spider challenging the red blade-

And the spider is flung back, screeching at its loss of both its front claws, retreating up the side of the wall as it prepares another leap, the residue light from the clash fading once more as the tunnel returns to its ambient darkness. Steven shakes off scratches on his forearm as he prepares to strike the foe once more...

What do you do? The spider is perched on the left wall and ceiling's corner intersection, unreachable except with leaps.

Player Status:

Last edited by mnewton1 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:52 am

Roll #11

Jackbarber:
Hold out my sword in front of me, pointed upwards and outwards, in case the Spider draws near. (Minor)
Pull out my pistol and fire towards the Spider's eyes. (Major)

As you take aim, the spider's glow immediately vanishes into the darkness, and without any trace of the creature's silhouette your shot goes wide, striking above its head as the spider begins rotating its abdominal spinners, firing a streak of luminescent web right at you. Unprepared for such a surprising method of assault, your sword nevertheless bisects the projectile-

Only to have the two split pieces pin your shoulders down to the ground, sheer kinetic force having pushed you over, leaving you vulnerable in such an anchored position. Your allies move to surround you, knowing that the spider could easily finish you off, in such a situation.

XxOriginxX:
Major: Crouch down, take aim, and shoot at the beast with my gun, aiming directly for the head.
Minor:Keep my blade ready in case of a charge..

CRITICAL SUCCESS

The arachnid charges, smelling blood- and with James down on the ground, the spider anticipates easy prey, its haste making it vulnerable.

And as you crouch, a Battletrance comes over you- and you make real a much better plan, formulated on the instant- and the crouch is converted into a roll on the fly; you allow the spider to airdash over you, as you recognize that underneath it- and behind it- is the ultimate vulnerability for the beast.

As the creature flies through the air right above you, you fire your gun and strike with your blade, impaling it directly in the center of its thorax, sending it flying and converting its predatory movement into a direct crash on the wall. Not one to leave a task undone, you leap after it yourself, nimbly dodging bolt after bolt of projectile web-

And smash, with your bare hands, the head of the creature into the stony wall of the passageway. Various fluids drip out from the crushed head, as the light fades from the crystals- and the struggling legs go limp even as the abdomen discharges its last reservoirs of web, in a deathly fit.

Finally, as a foul smell begins wafting from the creature, you pull out your blade with a squelch. The spider is undoubtably dead.

CRYSTAL SPIDER HAS BEEN SLAIN

Wesfreak:
Major: Shoot the spider, aiming for it's eyes.

Not willing to be left out of the action, you shoot the creature's devastated cranium one last time. Faced with strange looks, you shrug- "Just making sure is all."

Jonathan has already began the arduous process of extracting the gemstones from the fallen spider's dead body; he accompanies his grim process with appraisals of each crystal.

"...Hmm, not bad- five carats, six carats- this ol' spider's been around for at least two years. Tenacious old bugger."

Oranen and you rush to free James, still struggling, from the luminescent web; as you pull off silky strands, you pocket some, figuring it may come in handy later in action or on the market. Steven is apparently thinking the same thing, as he takes handfuls for himself as well.

After a slow clean-up process, the four of you look at the spider.

"You know, from fighting that spider I think I figured something out about swords and bladed fighting..."

"Really? Pray tell."

INFORMATION ACQUIRED:

The spider's preferred fighting tactic is to incapacitate enemies, then rush them before easy response. In prolonged fighting, it engages in attrition combat, striking with its eight bladed legs, distributing the stress of battle equally between all of its limbs to wear down tenacious enemies. The spider's three jointed legs move almost like human limbs with a blade attached.

What can you deduce from this observation of another combat style, and how can you apply it to your own? Now's the time for you to make your first steps into creating your own styles!

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:55 am

New Skill Tree - Disarming Principle

XxOriginxX:

After examining the unique tactic of the spider, of how he assures he cannot be harmed by his target before he attempts to kill, and defends himself when necessary, create the skill tree Disarming Principle, the skill of rendering a target immobile and harmless before actual elimination.

"The spider is unique in that it seeks to overcome and paralyze before it strikes. Though we humans cannot produce webs to entangle foes, why should we neglect the underlying tactic- that of immobilizing the enemy as the primary goal of combat, instead of outright murder?"

"What, you're going soft now, Oranen? Foes must be slain- that is the way of fighting."

"Ah, but with immobilization as a goal one can deliberate, and disarming a foe is much easier to negate than the obliteration of that same foe. In a battle, one who seeks to stop his enemy will naturally be safer himself- and the battle may be ended with less tension than it began with."

"Uh, sure. I don't really think that's the way to do it, but to each his own I suppose."

Skill acquired: Disarming Principle(Ambient)
By understanding that the true purpose of battle is not to bring an end to an enemy, but to bring an end to battle itself, one will naturally recognize useful opportunities for disarmament of foes, when such opportunities arise, and thus gain natural bonuses on any attack with immobilization or disarmament as a purpose.

"Say, what about the rest of you? Any breakthroughs for you guys?"

"Well... No. You were something there, though- with your attack there, I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it!'

"Heh. Thanks."

With the threat dealt with and the obstruction cleared, the four continue down the dungeon path...

Player Status:

Last edited by mnewton1 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 am

Discussion

...And finally, after what seemed like an hour of walking, at last the party comes to the end of the underground passage. The four gathered around a rope-ladder of dubious strength, and at last it was Oranen, still confident from his show of power, who ascended to the surface first.

"We seem to be in the middle of the forest," called Oranen, poking his head back into the surface world. "The sun is still high, and we have time plenty." Oranen's legs followed his body up and out as he pulled himself off the ladder. "Come on, guys- the ladder can hold you one at a time. Just think of the fresh air, up here! No more of the stink of that tunnel!"

------

"Just where are we?"

"...Well, if we followed that tunnel on the map, judging from this long, straight segment on the map we were given, I'd say we're right... There." Jonathan pointed at a point on the map where a straight line and more curved paths intersected. "From there, I'd say we don't have long to go until we reach the supposed bandit outpost."

"You know, I don't think we've formulated an attack plan. I mean, how are we going to do this- just walk to their front door and knock on it, asking for some solar plates and a cup of sugar?"

"Probably not- if the village is any sign, the door will just fall as soon as we put a finger on it if we try that plan."

"Steven, the jokes about the village's shambling condition are getting old."

"Eh, you're right. Now what? I mean, this map tells us practically nothing about the bandit outpost."

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see- and the first thing to do is get close enough to their respite so we can see what's going on."

"Fair idea."

------

"So that's it? It's not too bad for bandits.'

Ahead of the four, who had taken concealing positions of observation under bushes, an imposing wooden palisade stood, topped with the solar plates the town desperately needed. However, two larger wooden posts were mounted with metal structures-

"Bet you those are turrets of some sort."

"What the dark are mere bandits doing with autoprism turrets? Where did they get those?"

"Probably the military caravan they looted a while back. So this proves it was them."

"I guess we know why they were stealing solar plates too now. They probably need the extra light to maintain their stolen, high-powered weapons."

Everyone shushed as they scrutinized the situation- The palisade was built directly into a rocky cliffwall, standing regally in support of the clearing.

The population of the bandit outpost is unknown. The clearing is watched over by the two large autoprisms, which will probably inflict major damage if a simple rush towards the large barred entrance (which is probably locked) is made. However, it is unknown if the autoprisms are active at this time, as the turrets require pilots to operate. The walls are lined with several windows, some of which have simple mechanical crossbows set, as if preparing for defense. No flag flies above the small outpost, and no sentries of any form are seen.

How will the party proceed to infiltrate or conquer the outpost?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 am

Roll #12

Wesfreak:
What if we go around? If we find a way up the cliff, we can find a way down and get onto the roof. There should be a way in from the roof: How else could they have gotten the panels up there?.

XxOriginxX:
Exactly what I was thinking. Around it is!.

With the party's tactic decided, you crawl back, skulking back into the woods, hidden from any observers that may have been in the fort. Turning, you beeline straight for the cliffs, intending to climb them and make a stealthy approach from the most unexpected direction- above.

Your climb is...

...not so difficult; your progress is slow, but no major problems arise, and in an hour you find yourselves perched above the fortress, as yet out of sight.

...The cliff down is quite steep, and descending is an altogether much more difficult problem than the ascent, due to gravity's effect on a person going down being much different. There's no easy path down into the innards of the fort, and if the turrets are manned and you are discovered, you could easily be charred or shot down towards your death. Still, you are confident that you can descend without being noticed.

As you proceed to find footholds and steadily climb down...

...the fearful turrets remain constant and move not; it seems that nothing has been noticed, as no alarms are raised. Carefully, the four of you walk on top of the sun-heated solar plates, looking for an entryway.

"You know, we could just take the plates and run for it."

"What, and climb back up with these huge glassy things in our bags? There's no way we'd be able to get all the way up that cliff."

"Eh. Hey, I think this one's openable- and there's a trapdoor underneath, probably leading into the structure."

"...Any idea what's under there?"

"Can't see anything without opening the trapdoor, and I don't want to risk discovery."

"Hm."

The fortress looks quite different from the inside; dozens of little sheds and lean-tos cover the area, sheltering various weapons that seem to have been stolen- and disassembled? Why would they break apart the valuable, restricted weapons for their components- and who would be able to break the seal on the weapons?

Whatever the case is, it seems that nobody is outside at high noon of the day- but the low activity is becoming slightly suspicious. As you stand atop the largest, fifteen-feet-high central building with a roof covered in stolen solar plates, a structure built into the canyon wall and the only structure that could be called a building in comparison to the shabby shelters scattered around, you wonder-

What do you do?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 am

Roll #13

XxOriginxX:

I personally say let's make sure those turrets are un-manned, or make them so. Then sabotage them, so if we do have to make an escape through the front gates, we actually leave without being filled with millions of holes..

Wesfreak:

Good idea. So: we slip in, pretend we're supposed to be there, make our way to the turrets and sabotage them. We'll think of what to do next when we get there..

At your words, Jonathan raises an objection.

"I don't think that'll work- there's, what, from the looks of this, barely a dozen bandits in this fort- there's really no way we could pass unnoticed unless we had extreme luck or something."

At your frown, he quickly appends, "But the turret thing is a good idea!"

You and your group nimbly leap off the roof, landing on the baked earth below- still with no sign of having been noticed. What are these bandits doing? Then again, perhaps they're not present.

In any case, you and Steven begin mounting the large wooden framework supports that hold up the two autoprisms. Inside of them, you find...

"No occupants here."

"This one's empty too."

"Where the dark are these bandits, anyways? I mean, these autoturrets aren't even manned- this has to be the least well-guarded outpost I've ever seen."

"Yeah, forget the sabotage. We can keep cover for you guys with these heavy turrets while you guys investigate."

From below, Jonathan and James respond. "Yeah, sure thing."

Jackbarber:

"Hey, guys, it seems really empty right now... Ever thought they might be out right now? If so... maybe we could pack up some weapons then head back up to those turrets and crossbows, we might be able to get them from inside their own base."

1 Follow them in, see if anyone is around at all, if not try and open one of the sheds.

CRITICAL FAILURE

As you examine one of the makeshift storage structures, fingering the prisms and components stored inside and wondering at their value, you unfortunately knock one of the supports inside the small shed over. The wooden walls collapse as you hurriedly duck back out.

"Well, these things don't stand up too well."

The materials inside are buried under the fallen structure, and are largely unreachable at this point- but, unfortunately, that seems not to be the worst, for as you turn around, you see the door to the central building open, and a shoddily-dressed man, unshaved, drinking from a bottle of some unknown (but probably alcoholic) beverage steps out, grimacing into the midday sun-

Before he turns his gaze down and meets your eye- and your hands too, which already have wrapped themselves around your weaponry, your body bent and tensed in surprise, ready to attack and render him a fallen corpse.

"Wha- who'z, who're you? Whar..."

Jonathan, for his part, ducked behind a shed- he has not yet been noticed by the drunkard, and Oranen and Steven have taken cover behind the large turrets, concealed thoroughly inside the shell-like piloting areas of the turrets.

How do you respond to this single man?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:12 am

Roll #14

XxOriginxX:

Keep cover on the entrance, in case any more come..

You do so, and the turret swivels around on its axis to accomodate your will, barrel now pointing towards the insides of the fort.

"Bwuh?"

The single target in the area seems confused by this sudden change.

Jackbarber:

"Oh yeah, sorry about that, thought I heard a noise over there... Thought it might be one of those freaky prism rat things, so I came over to get something to fend it off, you wanna help out?"

If he believes me, lead him over near were Johnathan is, in hopes that Johnathan will jump the Bandit.

If he doesn't believe me kick him where it hurts, then attempt to break the Bandit's nose..

CRITICAL SUCCESS

"Ah, uh, righ-gh-uhh. Right."

He seems to have forgotten about the collapsed shed and the commotion, as he stumbles over in your direction, passing the shed Jonathan crouches behind-

And as you and Jonathan leap in unison, you push him to the floor, the sudden move having elicited some surprise from the lethargic man. Muffling his cries, you drag him behind another of the myriad sheds, leaving his half-finished glass bottle in the dirt to spill its contents into the thirsty dust.

You point your pistol directly at his head as Jonathan grabs the poor bandit's shirt. "How many of you are there? What are you doing with the stolen materials?" His voice, compressed to a whisper, sounds almost poisonous. You don't fault the bandit for stopping his vigorous, drunken struggles.

"Thuh. Thuhr's fuh-fifty of us! Naw, wait, ish- letsh make that fifty- thousand! Yeah, that'sh how many-" His slurred phrases are intercepted by you, as you gently poke the back of his head with the barrel of your weapon.

"Let's try this again and this time you can tell us the truth."

"Aw, ye guys ain't no fun. There'sh ten of ush guys in all, we're all in dere-" he gestured towards the open door- "Guh."

As you look at the door, you note moving shapes inside- it seems more of the men are becoming curious about the events outside their building.

What do you do? There are many ways you can approach this turn of events.

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 am

Roll #15

Jackbarber:

"Hmm..."
Examine the area around the door.

Well, there's dust, there's dirt, there's the wooden walls of the fort, and there's the drunk guy's spilled drink. You aren't sure what you expected to see.

"Hey, wanna head over there at the sides of the door and grab 'em one by one as they come out? Er, hey, Oranen, Steven, try and find some rope, if you do come back over here so we can tie these guys up."

"Where do you think we're going to get rope out in the middle of nowhere like this?" the two whisper furiously back at you. "Hush yourself- if you keep talking to us the guys inside will hear, and then we'll all be in deep!"

XxOriginxX:

Continue to monitor the inside of the fort, and stay focused on the doorway. Wait until they start charging before shooting. And since this is a turret, no point using my disarming principle, since it would be easier just to mow them down rather than try to focus on hitting arms and legs. Instead, just aim for the torso or head..

As you observe the area that your turret perches over, you hear a commotion from inside the building.

"What's with the turret?"

"It's pointed at us?"

And then, all of a sudden- abrupt silence. The entire mass of unseen bandits suddenly cease their words in unison, for an unknown reason- and you find yourself slightly disturbed by the new desolate mood that settles over the area.

And then, of all times, the drunk guy...

...manages to break free, as James reacts too late to put a bolt in his prisoner's head. The raving, confused man rolls in the dust before haphazardly leaping to his feet, charging back towards the entrance while screaming inane drunkard babble. And it seems the men inside the room have finally noted the obvious disturbances, gathering to exit through the entrance, cautiously-

Well, you can't have something like that happening.

One well-placed blast from the turret...

...cripples the drunkard, sending one of his feet to the ground removed from its respective leg. The bandits yell, and dodge to the sides as you open up another volley, cutting down two of their number as the rest disperse through the camp. Perhaps recognizing their obvious disadvantage, the criminals flee under your heavy fire, as you almost gleefully track down the enemies one by one and end their existences.

But then, two problems simultaneously arise.

The first is that your turret runs out of energy. You suppose the fact that the turret had any batteries in it in the first place was a great boon of luck. They couldn't possibly have charged that many batteries, after all- and this was a heavy-duty, wartime turret that would absolutely eat through civilian-level batteries. As the turret, its power depleted, sinks its head to a default position, your cognitive functions recognize the other problem.

The second problem is a bandit, wearing leather armor with chromed metal plates riveted on to deflect most forms of light- but more threatening are his dual gauntlets with crystalline knuckles which, even as you watch, emit sizzling purple sparks. He shakes his head as he looks directly at you, nestled in the confines of the turret- and for an instant, fear strikes deep, the first fear you feel in this expedition.

With a slight tapping of his feet, veins of crystal on his greaves flash- his motion blurs- and the next second, you see him right next to your turret, which he grabs-

Is he trying to rip it off its foundations?

...Yes. Yes he is.

And as you leap your way out of the machine in panic, dropping and rolling in the dusty dirt, the strange man slowly heaves the entire three-hundred-pound cannon over the palisade walls, producing a large thunk that reverberates in the elliptical confines of the outpost's walls. Turning, he voices his words slowly, in a rolling accent not of the native Raitali.

"And who may you be, four stragglers?"

Only now, when you look up, do you see the emerald flames left in midair, an energy trail made by the new foe's strange greaves, searing flames that slowly fade out of existence as they consume their own detritus.

...This doesn't look like a very good scenario. Behind you, the two remaining bandits are engaged in combat with James and Jonathan, even as Steven pulls himself out of his own turret due to the depletion of the shared power source. Above you, the bandit that seems to lead this group stands with perfect balance atop a segment of palisade wall, which even now begins to char due to the ambient flames emitted from his greaves.

COMBAT INITIATED
Enemies: 2x BANDIT, 1x STRANGE LEADER

The bandits are equipped with normal metal longswords, which your prism blades can easily burn through in frontal clashes. Knowing this, the two bandits have taken to running around the sheds and playing guerrilla warfare, striking out of strange directions and minimizing prolonged battle. Their armor is nothing special, but then again, your armor probably won't be able to block a direct hit either.

What do you do?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:20 am

Roll #16

BigKahuna:
Major: Cautiously sneak round behind the sheds to the guerrila-fighting bandits. Use my prism sword to attack the bandits' shoulders. 5

As you make another round, trying to chase down the fleeing men, a change comes over you- namely, a shadow. Looking back, you see the huge, looming shape of a shed falling over your form. The fragile things have apparently become the weapons of the bandits, as a mass of corrugated fibrous wood and board collapse over your form.

...No.

This will not stand. Flaring your blade up, you rise to the challenge, inflicting blazing cuts all over the collapsing structure-

And you form a hole just large in the fallen mass for you to dig your way out of, shaking off debris and wooden shrapnel.

But the bandits you were pursuing are nowhere to be seen- and there's not all that many places they could be. Did they retreat back inside the large structure? Are they hiding in sheds, waiting to ambush? Without visual data, you are at a loss for how to proceed- and so you tread the ground carefully, looking this way and that, anticipating renewed action.

JackBarber:
Major: Cover Steven and Oranen, holding my pistol with both hands and crouching, ready to roll in case something comes at me. 13

Seeing the momentary lull in your pursuit, you turn your back on the scene, pointing your weapon at the leader, falling into a crouch. The leader, however, does not seem preoccupied with you for the instant.

Minor: "Hey, listen buddy, all we want are the supplies from that town from a while back, also, did you guys happen to take a hostage who was a shopkeeper with a son back there?" 15

But your words do catch his attention, as he snaps his head in your direction.

"So you too are bandits, of a different order? Then you will simply have to take it by force." He twists his face into a sneer. "You scum have no idea what the true state of things is! Begone lest I slay you with divine fire and lightning."

"What about hostages?"

"..."

He seems unwilling to respond, removing his attention just in time to deflect a blast from Oranen with one of his bracers.

XxOriginxX:
Major: Throw my piece of canvas in the leader's face. Then use my ability to aim at the leader's shoulders, both of them, to prevent him from punching me. From there, aim for the head, crouch, and fire. 17+2=19

Your makeshift projectile intercepts his face quite well- and as it wraps around his head, he pulls an arm forth to rend the cloth from his face, preventing him from reacting to your attack-

But the bracer just happens to be over his shoulder, purely by luck, as he rips the cloth from his face with a snarl, burning the rag up in an instant. Still, it gives him no time to react as you make your second move-

And thus the first shot is blocked by his bracer, which consumes the bolt in a small burst of sparks- and you note that the lightning arcing from the knuckles grew incrementally brighter.

Then you will simply have to avoid his gauntlets, no? You quickly fire three shots, in a triangle formation- and with a slight bit of spin on your grip, the three all hone in towards the same point- his left shoulder. And with the time he took to remove the canvas, he has no time to dodge away, only time to block your attack with his energy-absorbing gauntlet.

But with the distance between the three shots, he can only block one of them with his other gauntlet, and the other two pierce his shoulders, twisting his form around strongly enough to knock him off his regal stand atop the wall. A muffled thump is heard from the other side- and then a yell, born of frustration and pain united.

And he rises up on a wave of emerald fire like the mythical phoenix, soaring far above the walls, features contorted in rage. With a shout (something in an archaic or foreign language?) he directs one hand at you.

"You shall not stop the procedure!"

And a bolt of luminescent lightning is birthed thus, like a ravaging dragon-

Which only manages to miss your form as you roll to the side, behind a shed- which is struck by the lightning to no visible effect but a bit of charring.

Now positively screaming in unfulfilled rage, he dives towards you, leaving an incendiary trail- Making his head the perfect target for you, as he rushes in the most aerodynamic posture, arms at his sides, not even thinking of blocking-

What a considerate man.

Your next shot hits true- and a flare of energy obscures his face from your vision, as the blast knocks the foe out of the sky, causing him, in panic, to twist his vector and crash straight into another of the myriad little sheds. The weak structure falls on his impact, and he is momentarily buried before a burst of green fire sends the debris flying, not even to land before being burnt up in midair to ashes and vapors-

And though his anger is nothing but stoked, you note with satisfaction that one of his eyes is blinded, covered over with burnt, scarred tissue.

Minor: Tell Wes to get out of here and help the others.

"What, when he landed right next to me? You aren't going to get all the glory when we fight, man!" He grins.

Minor: Yell at the leader "Your bandit group has to scour and ravage an already desolate town in order to just get a power source, and you have the luxury of such a technology? How did you get it, and decide not to dismantle it like everything else? 5

Your words go unheeded, as your target is too engrossed in combat to respond. Steven is doing quite well on his own- but you see no issue with rushing over to give your aid. And so you run and fire simultaneously, but from your range none of your shots hit. You begin closing on the strange warrior.

Wesfreak:
Minor: Draw my sword and sneak behind the unknown leader while XxoriginxX is attacking him. 8

As the enraged fighter bursts out of the pile of debris, you yourself burst up right behind him with a whoop, and he turns around just in time for you to-

Major: cut off one of his arms from the shoulder. 6

As you bring down your blade with a bestial grin, you find that your expression is only matched by your enemy's grimace.

...He grabbed the sword. What the dark is in that gauntlet of his, anyways?

Roaring his bloodlust, he swings his other fist forward as he gyrates his arm-

-sending your blade skyward, out of your hand. You barely see it land beyond the edge of the encampment, as his fist, crackling with lightning, impacts you directly in the center of your chest.

And a burst of electricity knocks you backward, topping you off the pile of debris that your enemy stands upon briefly before launching off into the sky once more.

...Well, that didn't go over so swell-

And as Oranen charges, seeking to get one more hit in, he is blocked by the two bandits, who have chosen this time to reappear and ambush him. Fending off the two malevolent bladers is no easy task, but he seems to be handling himself well.

Beside you, James and Jonathan approach and analyze your injury. It doesn't seem to be too threatening, but there's definitely some severe damage done- and the fist-shaped burn on your chest burns every time you pull a pectoral.

Above you, the warrior floats twelve feet above the battlefield, standing on his greaves burning in emerald light, manifesting growing spirals of lightning from one hand to the other, as if in preparation for something. And behind you is Oranen, occupied with fighting two bandits- and as you turn to watch, he adeptly slices one bandit's blade in half with his prism sword even as he ducks the sweeping blow of the other longsword.

How do you approach this much-changed scenario?

What do you do?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Roll #17

Wesfreak:
Minor: use a gelpack.

You hurriedly pull out a gelpack and rip the contents out, slapping the majority haphazardly on your chest. The nutritious material fuses around your wound, and as the regenerating factors fall in place you feel yourself returning to a healthy state once more.

Major: Use my spiderweb almost as a laso, holding on to one end and throwing the other to wrap around the leaders foot. While he's entangled, shoot him in the groin. 17

But you are not finished with your inventory. Pulling out the prodigiously strong strands of spider silk, you are thankful for the slightly sticky qualities of the strings as you quickly compress them together into a ridiculously strong rope for its thickness- and fling the rope, whipping the end through the air...

To catch firmly on the airborne enemy's right greave, even as a burst of propulsive fire, released, begins pushing him into the air, bringing both of you to greater and greater altitudes.

And then he notices the extra weight on his feet, and, with a swing of his foot, swerves sharply to the side even as the changed angle of rotation sends your rope and you with it crashing into the canyon wall-

-to no avail, as you nimbly absorb the impact, rolling the shock through to your ankles and calves- and the tension on the rope is just enough for you to run, nimbly, along the canyon wall thirty feet above the outpost, perfect balance keeping your movements aligned perpendicular to the wall and the ground. Put into such an advantageous position, you aim your gun to fire (perhaps at the family jewels, you ruminate to yourself)-

And as you launch your bolts, they strike true; the enemy reels back in pain, his thrusters going into chaotic spirals as he tries to gain control of his pain and his trajectory. Like any man would do, he brings his arms down to cover his nether regions-

But he quite completely forgot the arcs of lightning he held charged in his gauntlets, and as you watch some strange reaction occurs, the waves of energy going faster and faster the closer the two points get, almost as if locked in some permanent feedback loop. The airborne enemy yells in realization only as a huge explosion of plasma and fire radiates out, a thousand bolts of scintillating fury blazing their paths in all directions-

As you are pulled free from the canyon walls, you dimly see through the nova in front of you that your quarry seems to have completely lost control of his greaves, being pulled this way and that by erratic movement, dragging you away from the solid walls under your feet-

Pulling you straight through the epicenter of the explosion.

You close your eyes, and prepare to endure the heat that would undoubtedly come, as you accelerate faster and faster towards an expanding wall of sparks.

JackBarber: Run over to the room the bandits were in just a moment ago and take cover near the door.
Peek out and fire at any enemy I can see.

As you run, strafing the enemy confrontation with sniping blasts, you take cover behind the door, stepping through the little puddle of alcohol at the entryway.

You take cover behind the door, firing cautiously- and as you execute your simple plan, you manage to hit one bandit's blade, knocking him back and heating the blade up. Surprised, the bandit halts his assault, stepping backwards as Jonathan leaps and delivers a vicious spinning-kick, taking the bandit down. Satisfied, you turn to the other bandit, keeping him off his guard with continued peppering of pistol blasts.

And though your plan is simple and not glamorous, you derive a strange sense of satisfaction at the good your support has been doing in this struggle.

Bigkahuna:
Major: Dive over to the two bandits that are fighting Oranen and swipe their legs out from under them; attempt to get a shot at them with the Pistol when they're down. 10

You make a leaping dive, landing and rising into a sweeping kick, knocking the closest bandit off his feet- luckily, the fully armed one.

You decide to change that fact, and a few blasts from your pistol melts the bandit's blade completely, and as he throws the ruined weapon at you, to delay you from further assault-

-You instead dodge the spinning blade and put a bolt through his back. Turning, you prepare to deal with the other bandit-

...Well.

The melted blade managed to cleanly embed itself in the other bandit's back of the head, sizzling as it cools with bodily fluids.

You suppose that's one way to deal with those two.

XxOriginxX:
Minor: If the issue with the other two bandits is resolved, roll backwards a bit to get a better shot at the leader.

You halt a strike, aimed at the tendons of the enemy bandit's feet as you see the metal point of a broken sword emerge, just slightly, out of your foe's forehead. He drops forward, and you simply step out of the way as the nuisanse collapses into a pile to your side, a bloodless kill as you see the sizzling blade absorbing the moisture of blood and brain.

Waving your thanks to Jonathan, you then extract your pistol, aiming upwards just in time to see Steven running along the canyon wall, thirty feet up in the air-

And then a brilliant burst of light nearly blinds you for a moment, and you duck aside behind a shed just as a barrage of energy hits all around you. The shed absorbed the majority of the blast, but you have taken quite a bit of damage- and you think some of the stuff in your inventory might have gotten slightly burned too.

Luckily, the others seem to be quite fine- James, inside the building, avoided the entire attack, while Jonathan managed to get behind a slightly-stronger shed than yours.

Well, a huge, sky-rending explosion of pure energy never scared anyone, and least of all you! You roll out from behind your collapsing cover and prepare to fire.

Major: If the issue with the other two bandits is resolved, take a shot at the leader with my pistol. 20

CRITICAL SUCCESS- BATTLETRANCE ENGAGED

And as you turn, tracking the erratically flying bandit leader, your mind begins to almost automatically dissect the preceding event.

...That had to be a Recursive Overcharge. You've heard the theory, somewhere- A Recursive Overcharge has to pull two conflicting Concepts out of the Absolute Zone, and tie them together so that a positive feedback loop consistently drains power from the Zone, creating a devastating attack... It's incredibly dangerous to use without a failsafe, built in so that the energy is drained and the feedback loop thus starved, at a certain high-point in the energy cycle- and the energy drained is oftentimes used as a powerful attack. And you can't stop the charge- the loop just perpetuates itself until it gets so strong the failsafe kicks in and all that built-up power kind of leaps out of the loop, like a rampaging racecar that's finally gone too fast and thus burst through the safety fences built into the racetrack.

But doing so burns out the magical circuitry inside the equipment, and even the sturdiest weapons can barely handle overcharging once or twice. Apparently, your enemy really wants you dead (and with so much energy directed your way, you probably would be by now)- but his attack was thankfully disrupted by Steven's risky move.

...You're not sure where all that understanding came from, or how you're going to use it, but your brain's in overdrive and you don't really feel a need to question your new epiphanies. Pity that you can't use it, though- you're no magician and you have no idea how to channel a Concept in the first place.

You suppose the only reason why that guy's still alive in the epicenter of the blast was because his polished breastplace, now burnt and cracked, absorbed the brunt of the attack and deflected off most of the energy that would have reached his face and cranium.

INFORMATION CATALOGUED
Sometimes, information just isn't applicable. This is one of them- but the data, as should be evident, remains highly valuable.

The leader is moving fast, much faster than he was before- perhaps the explosion damaged his greaves, or perhaps triggered some sort of magical overdrive in the greaves as well, by accident...

But somehow, the pure state of focus you are in pulls you through, and you fire consecutive series of shots, arranged in triangular shapes once more, driven by an instinct deep within-

And you are not surprised when all of your blasts, all twelve of them, collide squarely with the enemy's form, piercing straight through the weakened chestplate to impact his damaged form. Well, all but two- and those two shots hit him in the greaves.

Green fire fizzes as the greaves seem to go even further out of control, as the fire suddenly takes on a more virulent, more malicious pattern- the intensity of the flame searing the spider-rope cleanly off.

You watch, dismayed, as Steven collapses, falling twelve feet to skid far in the ground outside the outpost, eventually coming to a rest on the grassy edge that heralds the encroachment of the forest upon the clearing.

And then you watch, half bemused and half surprised, as the greaves send their pilot far, far into the sky, and abruptly sputter out, leaving the fragile human form to crash firmly atop the canyon-wall the four of you descended to reach this place.

And all is silent as you feel the adrenaline of battle receding, as you sheathe your blade and holster your pistol, James emerging from the structure to stand besides you.

"...That was an impressive fight- we have to go help Steven, there's no way he made it out of that without a few cracked ribs."

You give a nod as you survey the area.

The bandits are slain; their gore and bodies litter the area, in need of some form of disposal. The solar panels, and any remaining materials, are now unguarded. Above you, the cliff presents another lead for investigation, as you consider retrieving the remaining equipment worn by the bandit leader. Outside, of course, Steven is in urgent need of ministrations- you're quite sure he can't possibly have gotten out of that without bone fractures or a concussion. And inside the bandits' major building, you're not really sure what you'll find.

There are yet many things to do. From where shall you start?

Player Status:

Last edited by mnewton1 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Roll #18

Jackbarber:
Grab the bottle of alcohol.
Look around and grab whatever supplies, weapons, and/or weapon components I can find.

XxOriginxX:
Attempt to collect either weapons from the bandits (that are of use, of course) or the components for weapons from the surrounding area, inside the base.

The two of you begin checking the sheds (well, those still standing anyways- the blast knocked many of the sheds over) systematically, hoping for some of the remaining spoils of war.

Your search does not go unrewarded, as the two of you collect handfuls of processed components, unrecognized- but surely valuable. After all, they were made for heavy weaponry. If only either of you were able to identify any more than the basic prisms or lens in the pile of materials.

A conservative estimate tells you that you're holding maybe three hundred clips' worth each, totaling half a dozen hundred clips or so for this entire expedition. Not a bad haul- who knew that murder and raze was so profitable? Not to mention the fifty clips or so you found after ravaging each bandit's pockets for their pocket money.

In addition to that, you find some small pouches on the bandits- not quite large enough to hold any of your other items, but definitely big enough to contain the mass of components you've now acquired.

The bandits don't seem to have much in the way of equipment, though- only the leathery clothes, a bit below the quality of your own vestments. You're also leery about dragging a dozen steel longswords as well as all those solar plates through the underground passage, and in the end you decide to forgo the weapons. You have much better equipment, as is obvious, and the blades can't be worth more than eighty clips all together anyways.

As you finish the scavenging operation and return back into the shade of the main building, James grabs the spilled alcohol bottle, now a bit below one-third filled. You suppose it might make a good incendiary in the future.

The inside of the room is quite large, but no human presence exists. A few more bottles of alcohol sit on the table, which James grabs, as well as a few gel-packs. Turning, he rushes out of the room- undoubtedly to administer healing to Jonathan.

Bigkahuna:
Examine the condition of the equipment and take it. Also look for the hostages as well as supplies from the town.

Seeing as Oranen and James have the whole scavenging part firmly down and are now entering the main building in search of hostages, you decide to go after the fallen leader's corpse. As you climb back up the steep rocky wall, much easier this time due to the myriad handholds created by the explosion's blasts pitting the wall with tiny craters, you wonder about the workings of the magic inside the equipment, but quickly dismiss your thoughts-

As you climb atop the cliff, and find no body.

In front of you are the gauntlets, the shattered armor, and the greaves, heavy metal equipment seemingly discarded by a fleeing, injured man...

Except there is no apparent trail, no footprints in the dust, no trails of blood- and from the top of the cliff, you survey the area, finding no traces of the enemy leader's disappearance.

...How obfuscating.

You turn your attention back to the equipment, finding them...

...still intact- the outer shell is pitted and bent, but the internal mechanisms seem relatively intact, or at least nothing a moderately skilled engineer can't repair. Out of curiosity, you remove the outside plates to peer inside-

Well, that explains why the things were so easily driven out of control.

You recognize the rough hand of an amateur trying his hand at modification, and whether it was the leader himself or one of his lackeys, the evidence is clear. Someone modified the greaves' internal workings, took out the failsafes built into them- exchanging the guarantee of safety for increased firepower and effectiveness. Didn't work too well for him, though, you think to yourself. Opening up the gauntlets, you find that the same thing has happened, the internal matrices haphazardly pulled together and welded in place to bypass the fuses and breakers.

You take the equipment anyways. Though it isn't usable in its current condition, you'll have no trouble finding someone to repair them once you get to the Shikahu Front. Climbing back down the cliff wall, you return to the solar-plated roof of the building and begin dismantling them, systematically unbolting them from the surface they rest upon.

Jackbarber:
Once complete head over to Steven "Are you alright man? You seemed to take quite a fall there."

Wesfreak:
Look around for gelpacks. Use one if I can find it. "oww..."

"Oww... Yes, I did take a fall. How- ow- observant of you."

"Relax, you have one more gelpack, you'll be fine."

And as the healing material is administered, James sits back with a frown.

"Internal fractures might take a bit longer- the nutrients have to get through your skins via osmosis. Still, the hardening surface will act as a stabilizing frame, so you can definitely walk- fighting is a different thing, though. I don't expect we'll see any more of it at this point, so we're okay for now." He assists you on one shoulder as you pull yourself upright.

"So, anyways..." You walk over and pick up your prism sword, shaking the dirt off of it and sheathing it. "What'd you find?"

James frowns.

"No weapons of any form. None. I don't really understand why the bandits would possibly disassemble the weapons, or how they did it without triggering the security seal on them. Those weapons're five times as strong as what we have- we'd be dead now if they were each using those military rifles."

"So... No idea why they took them apart? No plans or anything?"

James turns as Oranen approaches your conversation, and continues.

"No, there weren't plans- the inside of the room was rather bare. Not much was in that outpost, but..."

Oranen finishes for him.

"So we have no idea what they were doing or why, and frankly I don't really care. There weren't any prisoners or hostages to be found anywhere, despite our assumptions. The turrets are pretty much out of commission due to that blast, and the walls are practically collapsing. James, go light the place on fire with some of that alcohol you grabbed, once Jonathan finishes getting the solar plates off of the roof. I don't much feel like spending two hours and burying all those bandits."

James mutters something indiscriminate about not being allowed to drink any of the alcohol, as the three of you head back inside to assist with the transportation of the solplates.

-------

And behind you, a fire rages, consuming the outpost bit by bit as the four of you head back into the jungle, pulling a makeshift cart (built with Steven's wheels, no less) behind you, loaded with solar plates.

"Say, what time is it?"

"Hm. From the sun's angle, I'd say it's maybe just after twelve.

"Then let's get these plates back, and fast."

"If only we had our donkeys with us, we wouldn't have to pull this huge load-"

"You know, I can help you pull."

"Steven, get back on that cart. You're in no shape to do physical labor- those fractures will take a day to heal even with the gelpack, and we do not want your ribs mending with flaws."

"Humph."

"Humph away, Steven. It's going to be a long time back to the town, especially since there's no way we could get this cart into the underground tunnel."

"..."

"At least I have one bottle of alcohol left!"

------

And so, the four of you return after two entire hours of travel, emerging from the forest to find your way down the road, emerging in Dovrutt right around two of the sun's angle. The roads, are usual, are deserted- and you see your donkeys tied firmly to the stake as they were when you left-

Wait. Why's there an extra donkey?

"So what have the four of you been doing? From the looks of this, you probably razed a town to the ground, burned it, and stole everything."

Sanja sighs as the four of you look quite alarmed- such a crime is worthy of execution, and if Sanja believed something she definitely wasn't going to change her mind based on your words-

"That was in jest. Would you care to give me an account? I rather expected you back sooner before this, though I suppose it's my own fault that I told you to return before nightfall."

The commotion of her words open doors, as some of the townspeople peer from their doorways, Tiven, the Mayor, and the weapons shopkeeper included in their number.

What do you say to the Sergeant, and how do you proceed?

Player Status:

Last edited by mnewton1 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Roll #19

Wesfreak:
Say "Your jest falls too close to the truth: bandits razed the town. We took a pit stop to take care of that problem, and now we have some solar pannels to return to their rightful owners." loudly enough for the townspeople to hear. Hand her the four wheels.

"...Zrael, you what?"

"Uh, I said bandits razed the town."

"...I don't think the word 'razed' means that, since Dovrutt still stands."

"Erm..."

"But more importantly- you stopped bandits and took care of the problem?" Her eyes narrow. "How did you accomplish this?"

"...Would you believe me if I said we shot them with their own turret? Speaking of the turret..."

Wesfreak:
"They weren't ordinary bandits though: the were planning something. They had prism turrets, and took apart powerful weapons just for the components. We couldn't capture one to figure out why though."

JackBarber:
Look over at Steven and roll my eyes just slightly. "Well, 'couldn't' isn't really the way I would describe it... I guess we just got a bit carried away when their leader joined in."

"...I see. Were there any survivors?"

Both of you shake your heads. Sanja, for her part, seems somewhat surprised, as if she didn't think it possible of your group. Instead of voicing her thoughts, however, she continues to interrogate you.

"And where did bandits acquire these powerful weapons? Who were they?"

"We suspect they raided the other road to the Shikahu front frequently; I'm sure you've heard the news about the previous raids on caravans. Perhaps now there shall be no further raids. As for who they were... Well, their leader had a strange, foreign accent that I couldn't quite place, but I don't think any of us could tell you who they were exactly."

You hand your map back to Sanja. "Didn't need this after all- the Mayor had a map himself." Sanja acknowledges this with a nod.

Bigkahuna:
Hand the solar plates to the mayor. Ask the townspeople to explain to Sanja what's going on.

As you pull the mayor over, handing him a cartful of solar plates and indicating that they were now the town's, the people slowly rejoice, coming out of their doorsteps one by one, like creatures just exiting hibernation- in this case, of an economic sort, you suppose. Having grabbed Sanja's attention, you now prompt the townspeople to explain to Sanja the economic conditions of the town to her satisfactory understanding.

As the townspeople slowly push Sanja away from your group, James looks over to the group so fascinated with the uniform of a real Raitala officer.

Jackbarber:
Look towards the Sergeant. "Ah right, well, it wasn't for nothing, we got the Solar Plates back. Hopefully this place will be able to get some trading going on again. Who knows? Maybe we'll come back here one day, it would be better to be known as a hero than a bandit if we ever do."

"I don't think they even know our names, though. Perhaps it's better this way; I wouldn't want to be remembered as a hero who only did heroic things for rewards." Oranen looks around. "Still, I wouldn't say no to something for all our efforts, right now. Perhaps they'll remember us based on our faces and carriage."

"You think we'll ever come back to here?"

"Well, you never know. Sometimes, the world works in strange ways."

"Hm. By the way where is that Kid from the shop? I'd like to ask him something."

But as far as you can see, the teen shopkeeper isn't among the crowd. You instead decide to break off from the congregation, heading towards the Components Shop to ferret out some answers.

As you see the store, the first thing you notice are the empty shelves before you; when once they held stacks of components and prisms and odds and ends, now they are devoid of all content- and you suspect that the backroom is likewise emptied. Confused, you look around and see the kid- what was his name again- Tiven?

Tiven is sitting on the edge of the barrels he was sleeping on, earlier in the day- and beneath him are a few pouches and bags, and from their spiky shapes you judge that he has most of all the stuff on the shelves contained inside. He only now notices you, standing in the doorway, a distinctively armed silhouette, and he jumps off his barrel seat quickly as you ask your question, not entering the building.

"Hey, Kid. Why... How exactly did your Dad go missing?"

Tiven looks at you almost sadly.

"I don't know. One day, he woke up in the middle of the night- and he woke me up too, clanging around the back storage. I don't think he knew I was awake, but I saw his shadow moving across my room's doorway- and when I woke up the next morning, he was gone. He took his old equipment with him, the stuff he told me never to touch. Only left one note for me, too..."

He pulls out a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket.

"...The call comes, and I must honor my duty to the world."

As you look at it curiously, Tiven meets your eyes again with a sullen determination.

"Did you find anything about him? I always thought the bandits did something- or, I don't know, they kidnapped him..."

"I'm sorry, Tiven. There weren't prisoners in the bandits' outpost, and we didn't find a single thing related to your father."

And with that, you turn away from the lad, returning back to the bright sunlight and the muttering crowd, leaving Tiven to stand, alone, in the shop.

Bigkahuna:
Ask if there is anything we could have that may be useful on our trip back, delicately suggesting that we would be receiving this for our assistance to the town. 18

As you see James return from the shop, you pull aside the mayor once more-

"Uh, we've kind of been through a lot, and we're tired, and, well, I was wondering if you had anything that could help us- we're going to be on the road for another week, and we could use some-"

The mayor holds up one corpulent palm, stopping your stream of words. Turning around, he makes a declaration to the crowd.

"TODAY, IN OUR HEROES' NAME AND HONOR, WE FEAST!"

And the townspeople cheer unilaterally, rushing off to prepare the festivities. With a smile, he turns to you, twiddling his little mustache as he does so.

"Well, mister nameless hero! I don't believe you've really introduced yourself to us. Truth be told, I was rather not expecting such success from your group." He clasps a hand on your shoulders, continuing to speak as he does so. "And, well... I do know some older combat skills. You guys don't seem like the type to have indulged far in Material Magic, have you?"

Your confused look tells the Mayor no.

"Well, no time better to have a bit of a discussion, you and I- And since the feast will take at least an hour, we have plenty of time!"

And thus, the Mayor begins walking, speaking on the tenets of this Material Magic as he strolls through the town, and you find yourself following him, drinking in the information and processing it. You notice that all of your friends are quite occupied, though you're okay with that. You can always teach them in turn about this new... Magic type, upon your return.

------

[Steven Zrael]

Even Sanja stayed for the feast. That was one of the things you didn't expect. The other thing you didn't expect was how amiable she became after a dozen drinks.

You shrug as you focus your ears and listen past the clamoring of the crowd. Yup, she's still singing folk songs with Oranen over there. Who would have thought?

And James is over there, talking to Tiven. You're not sure what they're talking about, but halfway through the feast Tiven banged his fist on the table and abruptly stood up, pulling his backpack over his shoulder, and proceeded to stomp off down the road, away from the village.

Jonathan, for his part, returned after a long stroll with the Mayor, just as the feast began. You're not sure exactly what they were discussing, but Jonathan has this huge expression of enlightenment plastered onto his face- and as soon as he drops next to you, he begins babbling feverishly. Something about Material Magic, how the usage of it tied into the physics of the world and how one could thus engage it in combat...

You're not sure you understand completely, but you turn your undivided attention to him, drinking in the knowledge as best as you can. Not much else you can do, after all, with your mending fractures. No movement, no dangers, no unhealthy things of all forms.

If only they would let you drink some rum.

------

[James Rosenburg]

...And there he goes, the impetuous child.

You had a discussion with Tiven just now, consisting of him repeatedly saying that he wants to go with your group on adventures, in hopes of finding his Dad, and you saying that there's a better chance if he just waits at home, for his father to come back, as you're sure he will. Maybe he just got some patriotic fervor and went to war for Raitala. Personally, you've never been one to catch the patriotism disease, but some people are just strange, you guess.

And then the conversation descended into you saying the same thing while Tiven slowly got mad, and eventually the kid just decided to strike out on his own.

Tiven left right there- no, really- he just stood up and walked down the road. From what you saw of his shop, he probably isn't coming back.

You shrug, and take another sip of your rum, wishing the kid the best of health.

...And you wrinkle your nose as you once more hear Sanja's sharp singing come over the crowd's white noise. For sun's sake, can't that woman handle a drink?

------

[Oranen Ispil]

Though the memory clings, the friends scattered today-
I have no time to wander, but I take a step awaaaaay~

And a shrill voice cuts into the air besides you as Sanja tries to continue with the next line of the song...

But instead she falls off of her seat on the table.

You sigh. She really should learn where her limits are. She should probably also learn to sing, too, while you're thinking about it.

And one more tankard of rum is downed before you continue your boisterous singing.

------

[Jonathan Kmetz]

"MATERIAL MAGIC IS SO AWESOME I HAVE TO TELL EVERYONE SERIOUSLY IT IS THAT AWESOME HEY JAMES DID YOU HEAR ABOUT MATERIAL MAGIC NO YOU DID NOT IT IS SO AWESOME LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GET ORANEN OVER HERE TOO SO HE CAN HEAR MATERIAL MAGIC WHICH IS AWESOME AND IT MANIPULATES THE SYSTEM AS A FLOWING CIRCUIT AND THEN CIRCUIT THEORY EVERYWHERE AND-"

"Yeah, yeah, we get the point- stop blathering on about it, we'll listen to you once you get ahold of yourself."

------

"So you followed us all the way over here because you didn't trust us to get some wheels by ourselves?"

"Yes, I did. As it turns out, my worries were quite misplaced. I apologize."

"Eh. Maybe you'll think of us better in the future, after all of this."

"I believe I already do. You have shown yourselves to be quite valiant at times... Though one question still irks me about your story."

"Yes?"

"Just where did the leader's body go? For that matter... Was it truly a corpse by then?"

"Are you implying something, Sanja?"

"...Just putting the notion forth."

And with that, one of the figures by the cooking fire stands up, the others following her as well; and all of them leave the fires, boarding wagons, preparing to travel onward once more with the dawn of a new day.

The caravan departs Dovrutt with fanfare and celebration, as the town revels in new hope for its future; with the bandit threat firmly quashed, the town may once more expect some economic revival- and with a steady stream of light once more thanks to the solar plates, the town will at least become stable once more.

"It's a week until we reach the Shikahu Front. If something happens along the way, this time, I think I'll actually get you guys to help."

"Gee. Thanks."

------

In the forest, beyond the illumination of the road, beyond the town of Dovrutt, standing at the edge of a clearing, a dark figure skirts the shadows.

"Unforeseen circumstances. Highly unforeseen."

He kicks the ashes.

"We were running low on resources as is. This will not assist the effort in any way."

The figure turns away from the desolate wreck.

"But the principles remain, and they may still be taught. There will be no lack of unscrupulous groups willing to reach towards such a promise of power."

And then the leaves rustle in the forest- but with none present to hear them.

CHAPTER 1 COMPLETE

Achievements:

>Efficient Time-Management: MISSED

>Sane Light: MISSED

>When a Tree Falls in a Forest: MISSED

>Friend of the Spiders: MISSED

>Stealth Approach: COMPLETED

Prequisites: Enter the bandit camp without attracting attention.

Reward: 40 clips/player

>Diplomacy Over War: MISSED

>Slaughter: COMPLETED

Prequisites: Leave no member of the bandit camp alive save their leader.

Reward: 100 clips/player

>For Great Justice: COMPLETED

Prequisites: Successfully complete the scenario and return as heroes of Dovrutt.

Reward: 100 clips and one gelpack per player

(note that some achievements are mutually exclusive)

Player Status:

GM notes:

------<><><><><><>------

Last edited by mnewton1 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Roll #20

Bigkahuna:
Rumble on in the caravan, asking Sanja what has happened since we left.

It's been six days since the incidents at Dovrutt, and you've been generally biding your time inside the wagons, waiting for Steven to heal while teaching the rest of your group about the basics of Material Magic, and having chats with Sanja and her soldiers to pass the time. You've also been playing some gambling games with the soldiers- or at least you were until Sanja figured it out and pretty much ordered everyone to redistribute their ill-gotten earnings and losses to a past state.

And thus you pull back the covering over the entrance to your wagon, seeing another, different town- and from the looks of this one, it's a bit healthier than Dovrutt was. People move through the streets, buying items from vendors, as sails and flags deflect the burning sun from the ground; consumers and producers crowd under the paltry shadows alike, as commerce goes on between the two-storied homes. As your caravan moves in, you look left and right, seeing vendors hawk their wares, all varieties of things being sold for all varieties of prices- and you appreciate your decision not to spend unduly in Dovrutt, noting how much newer and polished the wares here were.

You've heard of this place. The grand trading center of Atelello- lively due to its critical position on the border Laserwalks, those huge transportative tools of unknown workings- a critical stop on the way to the Shikahu Front, as aboard the Laserwalk one can easily travel all the way to the far border-warzone in under a day.

That, you suppose, is exactly what Sanja plans to do, as she pulls her caravan through the street, fully ignoring all the beckoning shopkeepers and their foreign goods.

------

"So we're here."

"Well, do you intend on leaving now, Sanja?" You look over at the accelerator that opens the way to the Laserwalk, and wonder if she still intends on tolerating your presence, despite her newly amicable treatment of you.

Sanja shakes her head.

"No. Perhaps if it were just me and my men, yes- but the caravans, being of a nonclassified nature, must be prepared and filed into the Laserwalk's temporary files of recognization, so that my wares do not burn up mid-transit." She shrugs. "I think it'll take a few hours to finish- and I saw how you four were eyeing the town markets."

"Well, I don't suppose if you let us go-"

"Eh, Dovrutt didn't go down too badly, no?" Sanja turns as you barely see the tiniest curl of a smile on the edge of her mouth. "Quite memorable, that feast." She waves you off. "Be back before nightfall. I think you have, ah, three hours?"

"Ignoring the slightly patronizing tone you're taking, this counts as an official pledge? You aren't just lying so you can ditch us as soon as we vanish?"

"Would I really do something like that now? In the past, perhaps. Still, consider it a promise. We won't leave until you come back."

"Then that's a deal, Sanja. See you in three hours-" And the four of you head out towards what you expect to be a comfortable afternoon of shopping and relaxation, before another day of travel towards war.

------

XxOriginxX:
Fiddle with the components I have, attempting to figure out what each one does.

Jackbarber:
Try and find out what the Components in my bag are.

"Son, where'd you get these?" The shopkeeper looks up at you, and you bite back a slight bit of annoyance. The guy can't possibly be more than five years older than you- "High grade military components, these are- Prisms carved from Ordered Crystal, made with magic. The lattices show it, you know- no natural crystal is this organized and perfect."

You choose not to speak, instead, as the two of you look at each other and form an agreement; explaining the entire series of events at Dovrutt might take more time than it's worth.

"Well, anyways- you guys said you were with that military caravan, right?" He squints at you, peering up from under his hunchbacked posture. "You sure you didn't steal this stuff? Can't take stolen wares, boy."

"We have a signed letter from Sergeant Aseiju. These wares are considered the spoils of war and the deposition forms have been made with the military."

He takes the letter, and looks at for a bit, putting it under some beams of strange light as well. "No magic-signs here, I suppose you didn't forge these."

You hold back your irritance at the vendor's paranoid ways.

"So anyways, see those three big ones, there, there, and there? Those are primary crystals- they've got some electrofluid inside them, can shift patterns based on different charges being run through for variant modes of power output and speed." He takes three larger polyhedrons and sets them aside. "These little round ones, those are the lens- they help build up the charge, direct it, and filter it- yeah, that's necessary for light too, cuts out extraneous wavelengths and makes a better laser." Finally, he gestures to some fan-shaped, silky glass leaves. "Those're splitters. Mostly found in close-range weapons, burst firing and the like."

"The rest are just basic stuff- prisms, mirrors- the normal things you can find in most stores anywhere, albeit of a slightly higher quality. All together... fifty, thirty-five, uh, twenty... I'd say you have 185 clips' worth in there, and your friend has maybe 150 clips' worth in his pouch."

The man is quite blatantly lying about the value- but you're not sure whether to call him on it or go for another vendor. You don't really know the trading paradigm of the place, and in some towns you hear that bartering is considered an offense and a challenge to one's honor and integrity. In the end, you decide to hold on to your inventory for now, sweeping your components back into their pouches abruptly to the man's disappointment.

"We might come back, shopkeep. Pull that look off your face, it's not getting you any more customers."

And you depart the store, with a bit more information to your name on the nature of your items- but no data on what the bandits could possibly have been building with the stuff.

------

Jackbarber:
Try and learn a bit more about Material Magic..

Bigkahuna:
Ruminate on my new knowledge of Material Magic (OMG) and see if I can act on it in any way.

Returning to the town square, you find Jonathan standing among the crowd and greet him.

"Hey, Jonathan. Who's that guy standing on the podium, there?"

Jonathan greets you as well, and points to the sign on the speaker's robes.

"See that symbol? It's the Primary Circle, the circle with a dot in the very middle, foundation of all the runic circles of Material Magic- and that's the sign of the Circle Tower."

"Ooh. That guy's probably some big mage or something, then."

"He just showed up a while ago, set up a podium, and began giving a lecture on Material Magic- not that what he's been talking about I haven't already really covered with Mr. Luvidda back in Dovrutt. He's really going for the propaganda half, there, praising all the good of Material Magic while just giving enough info to make it seem like he's doing a public-good teaching thing or something. Probably just someone trying to recruit more guys for the Circle Tower."

Atop the podium, the man, dressed in simple yet regal robes of black and grey, continues pontificating, with spellbook in hand, not slowing or tiring despite the audience's obvious lack of interest-

When a sudden gust of wind pushes his robes up, revealing his hairy legs and causing him to almost plummet off the podium, to the laughs of the audience.

"Material Magic? Bah! A mere smidgen of power, for those who do not deserve it!"

And out of the crowd, seemingly out of nowhere, a man strides, speaking in an accent, wearing multicolored, patched robes, hundreds of different hues and textures cutting into each other, creating a large robe-poncho-cape garment that flares behind the man as he rises into the air, and, ever so gently, pushes the surprised speaker off his stand, taking the podium instead. The audience's attention is diverted from humor to attention, as the strange man stands and begins waxing lyrical about the wonders of Concept Magic and its obvious superiority over Material Magic in all ways, accompanying his words with demonstrations of fire flicking through his fingers occasionally.

Despite the rumors you've heard about the consequences of Concept Magic, the two of you- no, three; you find Steven has also shown up behind you in silence- the three of you listen with rapt attention, carefully absorbing the knowledge the strange new mage is dispensing with alarming speed of tongue.

And after he is finished, he steps off the podium- the original recruiter has long vanished, mortified, into the crowd, leaving his stand behind- and holds out a book.

"All who wish to join into the great wonders of Concept Magic, sign below- and we shall meet in a secret location within the week, so that you too may begin to become legendary magi yourselves!"

And a whole crowd of people congregate towards the mage, parting around you even as the three of you stand still, considering the ramifications- and reasoning beyond the honey-coated words to find true, albeit amateur, understanding of Concept Magic.

A look tells you it's only a third of all the people in the square, however- most of them twenty years of age, youngly made adult, without knowledge of the restrictingly common dogma against Concept Magic.

Bigkahuna:
Also try to call upon a Concept from the Absolute Zone, possibly merging it into my Prism Sword.

An idea strikes you as you pull out the hilt of your weapon in the deactivated state.

Reaching blindly, you turn to your memories, searching for your previous experience with magic, considering the risks and benefits...

And you come upon the idea of imbuing your blade with a concept, that it may become greater and more efficient-

4 4 9 8 11

And abruptly you find yourself standing before a monumental vision of nothing, perfect emptiness, the color beyond color in a world where sight is not an applicable concept, floating in the nether-space without up and down, so that you find yourself pulled towards all directions at once and thus remaining stable, forces counterbalancing each other out, as a million warring voices, all your voices and yet not your voices, pour their words into your head, filling it up and brimming it over the edges-

And you see before and behind you and above and around you- without a preposition to define such a position, being that position has no meaning there- you find a glowing light, a memory, something that you experienced, though you know not what-

And there before you are a dozen and a hundred and a thousand yous, a number of you simultaneously equal to infinity and one- an infinite range of hands reaching out, your hands as you can recognize them, some scarred, some burnt, some completely removed, but all yours, nonetheless, all reaching to greedily snatch up the light and take it for their own, as if deprived and in some distinct hunger for the radiant energy-

TOTAL SUM OF 5 ROLLS: 36/100 FAILURE

But you know not what to do- and the light flows towards you, and moves through you, entering through your hand and eyes and mouth, returning to you your intended payment...

And you return to your form, holding your weapon, with a distinct knowledge of failure as the last vestiges of a whisper pass over your mind, and you realize- Without a decision made, no concept chosen before the first step was taken, naturally, no good could possibly come...

You're not sure you want to go back to that strange place, like a twisted, dripping womb of multichromaticism, that mindscape of confusion. Perhaps the miracle of magic is not worth such things...?

And it seems only a moment has passed, as Steven looks at you confusedly for another second without word; you replace your sword as you ruminate on the nature of Concept Magic.

Wesfreak:
Practice my magic by drawing on concept of fire from the absolute zone to make a small flame appear on what remains of my spider silk and then making the flame go out again.

As you prepare your own mind, considering Concept Magic, you prepare to delve deep inside and summon a first vestige of fire, perhaps, or some other spark of heat-

When a hand clasps down on your shoulder, an unfamiliar touch- and you spin back, sustained by shock, as you see before you the strangely garbed Concept mage that spoke not long before. Besides you, Jonathan does much the same, surprised- and you note that James stands to the side, observing, while down the road Oranen just now arrives-

"Pardon me, young masters- but I see that one of you has just attempted to cast that prodigious magic of Concepts. 'Tis good to see that my teachings are not unheeded!"

He -what-? He could tell that Jonathan was trying a spell-

Jonathan was trying to cast Concept Magic?

While you are reeling from the statement, the mage continues his introduction. With a fluorish of his cape, the strange mage seems to pull his book out of nowhere, a heavily bound book with a lacreous texture on the edges.

"And despite his failure, it is obvious-"

The book floats into the air, its pages opening itself in an elaborate display of magic.

"-All of you are creative, inventive, intelligent- and I can see the internal tendencies towards magic in you! Yes, with training and guide, I foresee you becoming renowned mages of Concept Magic!" He laughs dryly, pointing a lean hand at the three of you, even as Oranen arrives to join you (probably just having left a bar with plenty of alcohol imbibed, you figure).

"I am the great mage Netiatono Vie, titled Mage of Many Colors-"

Well, that explains his strange cloak, you guess.

"-And I have been recruiting new acolytes for the Guild of Mentia Exalt! Just today have I received an entire fifty new signups for our prestigious organization- and YOU!"

He nods his head, and you note that his nose is quite pointed, his entire face having the sharpened, angled appearance of a hawk.

"You are perfect candidates! What say you? Concept Magic is the greatest gateway to opportunity you'll ever have- and all you must do is sign in this registry to indicate your interest!"

"Uh... We. Um."

The mage smiles genially, his mouth bending into sharp angles as he allows his cape to flap, finally, to the ground-

The passerbys are generally uninterested in this man's magic, apparently, and as the afternoon sun stretches your shadows out you find yourself seriously wondering...

How do you respond to this... Netiatono Vie?

Player Status:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Roll #21

Bigkahuna:
Discuss the matter with my companions and examine the man for signs of insanity (asking how long he has been using Concept Magic).

"Well there- I see that look on your face! I'll have you know your suspicions are completely unfounded, and for that matter, whatever fearsome stories you've heard of the horrible consequences of Concept Magic are all inflated!"

You're not sure you're convinced.

XxOriginxX:
I deny his offer, explaining that me, along with my group, have other plans at the moment. Also mention that we do, however, have an hour or two to spare.

Bigkahuna:
Tell him that we are only temporarily in the city, but if he wants to explain to us some of the deeper wonders of Concept Magic and explain his university in about an hour or let me buy a book on the subject, feel free.

Wesfreak:
"I must agree with my companions: We cannot join your order, for our stay in this city is very limited. I however, would like to practice concept magic indepdantly, until a time when I could take up with a master, and would be happy to buy a book or two on the subject, should you have such resources available."

Jackbarber:
Listen to the man as he continues to speak.
"Yeah, sorry We've only got about two hours to stay here. If you'd like to tell us a little more about it we'd accept with open ears, but at the moment we aren't able to join you."

"That's understandable! I see that you're much better armed than the passerbys around you- perhaps you are traveling mercenaries, or hired guards for one of the many caravans of this city? If so, I can see how you have priorities that supercede your desire to learn the magical arts. Now, you have a few hours left, do you not?"

"Ah, yes, we do. Our caravan departs on the Laserwalk at nightfall," responds Jonathan.

"Excellent! In that case, perhaps I may be able to satisfy your desire for literature on the road after all. The University, though far from here even on the Laserwalks, does have a branch complex in this very town, built to house our illustrious Guild's members when traveling and provide them with a continuation of their education whenever possible!"

"...You mentioned a Guild... the Guild of Mentia Exalt? I'm not sure I've heard of you before. I was under the impression that Concept Mages tended to be independent and thus not serve an official organization, unlike the relationship that all Material Magi have with the Circle Tower."

"Ah! I am glad you asked. Our Guild is not quite new but not quite old either- and we indeed formed it just two years ago to counteract the damaging effects the Circle Tower has had upon our craft for the last half-century. I myself now travel the Raitala Laserwalk Circuit, seeking to bring in new students... And with good cause too, seeing as the practice of Conceptism has rather fallen as of late due to damages."

"Damaging? How so?" Oranen looks quite confused.

"The Circle Tower has been spreading rumors! Propaganda! They've been playing up the negative effects of Concept Magic, making it seem like even daring to tap the power will sunder your soul in half or something. Ridiculous- it's well known that Material Magic is far more flawed! We Conceptists have been around longer than the Materialists and yet few make progress before they depart in fear."

So speaking, Netiatono pulls his multicolored cloak off his shoulders, dropping it to the ground- and the cloth, instead of making contact with the cobblestones, instead floats exactly one foot off the surface, held in place by some unseen force.

"Let me tell you- one mistake with Material Magic, one misread physics equation, one misplaced line- the smallest flaw will cause immense breakdowns in their magic! I've seen Materialists, thinking themselves intellectual, misdraw their runes by a tiny margin- and do you know what happened, then?"

You shake your head.

"Obliteration! Total destruction! All matter in the vicinity was converted into energy, and all energy into matter, and the cycle just perpetuated itself until enough ambient power was released- and do you know what they were doing? They were just trying to change lead into gold- but instead, they caused an overloaded nuclear reaction! The entire town burned!"

"...I've heard of that incident. But isn't that what the yearly entrance exams held at the Circle Tower are for now? The Tower only accepts the brightest and the best, they say- those with skill and restraint so that no more tragedies like such occur."

As Netiatono steps on top of his floating cloak, pieces and parcels of fabric unfold out of the nether, appending themselves to the end of his cloak- attaching themselves until the entire cloth is easily five times its original surface area, larger across than a wagon. As Netiatono idly conjures more patches into being, he retorts with a sneer.

"And that is supposed to be a positive trait? Magic should not be restricted- not be controlled by a bureaucracy! The Circle Tower has its tendrils in every major world government, and only the priviliged are allowed into their ranks nowadays- and what kind of a system is that anyways? The miraculous ability of Magic in all forms should be a boon for the entire world- not for the rich, or influential, or smart- everyone should have the equal right to cast magic, just as everyone has equal right to breathe the air! Both are natural boons, after all-"

"Well, that's debatable, but I'm not an expert in magical philosophy," interjects Steven, looking somewhat worried about the whole scenario. Seeking to change the subject, he quickly asks a question. "Well, so you have a University, do you not? What goes on at the University?"

Netiatono seems somewhat calmed by a subject he apparently finds more pleasure in.

"Well, I'm one of the professors of the University- at the school, I teach Applied Intermediate Concepts, Magical Philosophy, Literature, and Creative Arts." He smiles in pride.

"...Creative Arts and Literature? You mean that there exist courses at the University other than magical practices?"

"Of course! What kind of school would the University be if it could not be a boon to everyone, not just the mages? Many of our students do not even take magical courses, after all!"

The old mage beckons you onboard the slowly billowing cloak as it begins lifting off.

"On this we can get to the branch in just under fifteen minutes- come onboard, you won't fall off! Trust in Magic, I say!" Netiatono smiles and sits down, stroking the surface of his cloak of many colors. Slightly leery, you step atop the cloak to find, thankfully, that the cloth is stable, as if there were some earthy surface beneath it. The four of you sit down as the cloth rises ten feet above the ground and soars off down the street, traveling over people and wagons alike.

"So, in the meantime, I think we can discuss what parts of Concept Magic you're interested in- it'll make my job easier. The library's a large place, after all- nothing compared to the Compendium of the University, but large nonetheless- and maybe we can find a few books you'd be interested in!"

"That would be highly appreciated, Master Vie."

------

As you are deposited inside the fences of a large, austere building's outskirts, Netiatono picks up his cloak and folds it back in on itself, putting his garment back on himself after scuffing dust off of it; you note that the cloak does not increase in thickness, despite his action.

Magic.

Speaking of magic, as you advance forward, you note that the beautiful decorations on the fence and the huge ornamental architectures on the walls of the building seem to change every time you look away.

"Yes, yes, we imbued the walls with the concepts of Change and Beauty, as you can tell. Makes a nice attraction."

So speaking, he pushes apart the morphing metal doors to beckon you inside the Branch.

------

The library stands three stories tall. That, while impressive, isn't so notable-

Except that you're sure that from the outside, the entire building only stands two stories tall. Heavyset mahogany bookcases line every possible bit of surface area in the circular building; though no sunlight shines down through the ceiling's stained glass (also continuously changing like the rest of the decorations), you can imagine the colors that would appear in the chamber if it were midday. A few readers circle the walls, holding large, heavy-bound tomes, but they are quite dwarfed by the somberly quiet atmosphere.

Netiatono once more unfolds his traveling cloak- You suppose his cloak gives a new name to the appelation 'Traveling'. Rising up into the air, he vanishes into the upper levels of the library as you pull some random books from shelves and begin reading them. Naturally, you can't make heads or tails of the complicated words, and it's not long before the mage returns, bearing four smaller textbooks.

"Well, the overseer librarian is letting me loan a book out to you guys on special conditions, and only since I'm a professor." Netiatono seems distinctly dissatisfied as he continues. "You guys aren't official students of the University, so you can only pick one of these four books. I think these books might be the most interesting and useful choices for you, though I don't know what they're thinking, restricting book usage like that. It's not like there's so many people in here most of the time, anyways."

Each of you takes one of the texts from the cloak as Netiatono descends to the ground.

>UTILITARIAN APPLICATIONS OF CONCEPTS: AN INTRODUCTION TO MAGIC IN EVERYDAY LIFE
This book seems to deal with safer applications of Concepts; cooking, direction-finding, communication, travel. It probably contains some nice general tools. A label on the front shows that a board of researchers have concluded that the concepts in this book are all safe for use without major psychological damage.
>A DIAGNOSTIC EXAMINATION OF PSYCHOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS OF CONCEPTUAL MAGIC
This book is a bit more advanced, and much more specific; it focuses on the usage of Concepts in the mind, to remove extraneous thoughts and harmful thoughts together. Flipping through, you note that some of the effects could perhaps be extended to other people or be extended into other psychic techniques... There's a lot of potential in here, but the book tells you very little about weaponizing such a thing.
>BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO SELF-DEFENSE WITH CONCEPT MAGIC
This book is perhaps exactly what you've been looking for. Inside, you find a huge glossary of combat-related concepts and large charts on interactive effects between them all- and half the pages are stamped with warning labels, declarations of being unsafe, notaries of possible damages, all looking quite scary and imposing. Some of the pages are outright covered in black redactions, the sheer volume making them unreadable- probably covering up really dangerous concepts to put in most peoples' hands.
>THE HISTORY OF CHIRAL: THE ARCANUM WAR
This book is a history textbook, and despite the fact that there's little in the way of magic inside, the book addresses magical theory and the events of the Arcanum War. The book details the beginning of the war, the causes that led up to it, the First Great Runic Sphere's creation, and the aftermaths of the war, including drastic changes to magic- including descriptions of forbidden types of magic and lost types of magic. Pity that they don't actually tell you all that much about how they worked.

...Hm. A difficult decision.

Which of the four books do you select to take with you?
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next