Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Archive]Within the Light

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Archive]Within the Light Empty [Archive]Within the Light

Post  mnewton1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Title: Within the Light
Author: bigkahuna

Joining the Game and Characters:

Setting:

Mechanics / How to Play:

Gameplay (what you will see in the game):

Abilities (how to learn them and what is allowed):

Last edited by mnewton1 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 am; edited 3 times in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25274

Back to top Go down

[Archive]Within the Light Empty Re: [Archive]Within the Light

Post  mnewton1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Roll #1

Zerovirus:

Look around - where was I sleeping? Sight Check - Inconclusive

There's barely enough light to see your hand in front of your face, but you can tell that you are in some sort of cargo hold. Searching with your hands you can feel other prone forms curled upon the floor.

Stand up and help rouse the others from slumber. [10]

You begin to stand up on your unsteady legs, but as you start to unbend your head hits the ceiling with a loud clunking sound. Cursing, you fall on the floor again, but the pain causes you to stay awake and you manage to rouse a couple the people your subconscious registered as acquaintances.

Athaiel VanGoit [PeterPorty]:

You wake up to a feeble jabbing of your shoulders by a man who you feel as if you should know. You shrug him off, as well as much of the drowsiness you had felt.

Hide in the shadows without being seen by other players or NPCs [stealth] while looking for anything useful, be it weapons, tools or even information and take whatever I found. [14]

Suddenly feeling suspicious of your surroundings, you make your way around the room, keeping in the shadows and making sure to step around the various bodies on the ground. You find a knife on the ground and decide to pocket it. From your observations, the room you are in is about the size of a large barn. There are about 30 people in the storage area you are in. [+3 Stealth Point gained].

Pay attention to any sound I hear outside.

You think you can hear faint moans behind the walls, but however thin the walls may seem, they're definitely made of a strong metal. You aren't getting out that way.

Flamelasher:

Hide in the shadows without being seen by other players or NPCs [stealth] while looking for anything useful, be it weapons, tools or even information and take whatever I found. [13]

You groggily attempt to shake off this unnatural inclination to sleep, and manage to do so to a point. Using all of your scanty willpower, you crawl deeper into the shadows, stumbling over several people as you go. As your holding place was pitch-black anyway and there were no pursuers, you doubt that it was necessary. However, you do find some currency that fell out of some of the pockets of your trampling's victims. [+2 Stealth point gained].

Pay attention to any sound I hear outside.
You hear clanking sounds above your head, and feel the ceiling above to find a panel. Searching it, you see that...

Search Check - UTTER SUCCESS

It has a clear and defined seam. Most likely it's the main entrance to the hold. Excited about your find, you search over the panel further. You manage to outline a lock of some sort. If only you had some sort of pin... You utter a yell of excitement and call to the others, who you're sure are out there somewhere.

Derek Fox [Shadowkiller]:

Look around for an exit via feeling around the room walls, specifically search for keypads, doorknobs, holes or other protuberances [Scouting]. [10]

You clumsily stagger around the room, rubbing the walls in search of some sort of extruding object that may be used to gain an exit. After you are about to collapse of weariness, you feel the outline of what may be a latch. You give it a feeble tug, but it's obvious that you do not have the strength to open it alone. [+1 Scouting Point]

Call out into the darkness in order to make contact with my companions, ask for their names and give my own.

Contact Attempt - UTTER FAILURE
"Hello? Is anyone there? It's me, Derek. Derek Fox. Is anyone else awake? I may have found a way out of here." Perhaps because of the bad acoustics in the room (but probably because of your voice, quite tinny at the moment), no-one hears or responds to your calls.

Talkal:

You feel yourself coming out of deep water, and take a breath to find yourself under two people, one of them gently nudging you awake.

Game Events:
Delighted at his find of a trapdoor, Flameslasher calls to the rest of you. Perhaps it could be a way out of here.

Player Status:

Points of Interest:

•Talkal, Zerovirus, and Peterporty are known to be in the same hold, and there appears to be another.
•Derek Fox may have found something important, but unfortunately, no-one was close enough to Derek to hear what he had found...
•Flameslasher discovered a locked trapdoor; perhaps it could be a way out?
•Perhaps attempting to remember some of the details of the capture would help in discerning a plan of escape.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Roll #2

Flamelasher:

You yell, "DOES ANYONE HAVE A FREAKIN' KNIFE IN HERE!?!?"

Your voice reverberates across the walls of the room, and you hope that you didn't bring attention to any of your captors. Aethail answers faintly, "Yeah, but we're separated by some sort of wall."

Loot the unconscious bodies [Stealth]. - [5]

Excited about your former success, you begin to search other peoples' pockets. However, you don't manage to find anything, and while you're fumbling around you manage to lose a few of your... "hard-earned" silver coins. Hearing the clattering, Zerovirus and Talkal notice you. You look back at them rather sheepishly and start looking for your coins.

You find all of your coins, and notice three gold ones nearby!

Trying to loot one more person, you reach into his pockets and... he grabs ahold of your arm!

"Just what do you think you're doing?" the man growls angrily. It actually sounds quite pathetic considering he's swaying like a drunkard. You pull your arm out of his grip with ease, and ask, "Oh, nothing... but who are you? and do you know where we are?" He replies, "Buck's the name. Buck... yeah, just call me Buck for now. As for you're second question, no I don't have any idea in the least where I am."

New NPC: Buck

Athaiel VanGoit [PeterPorty]:

Flamelasher calls for a knife, and you tell him that you have one but you can't get to him. Maybe you'll worry about it later.

Search the unconscious people on the ground for tools, weapons, information, clothing, etc. without their knowledge, making sure first that they are still unconscious [Stealth]. - [19]

Carefully, you begin to rummage through some of your countrymens' things without waking them up. Not exactly a stellar thing to be doing all circumstances considered, but then again you were not always a noble person. You work silently, but watching eyes accustomed to the dark could perhaps shrewdly guess your ignoble pastime. It doesn't really require skill or even stealth to pick the pocket of unconscious person, though. Heck, if the people weren't half catatonic you'd have woken them up by now. You get some practice in, though [+1 Stealth Point].

Search Check - UTTER SUCCESS (lucky Peter Shocked )

"This guy must be utterly rich," you mumble to yourself. You take a handful of golden coins, a large key, and an umbrella of all things. Also you take his decorated vest, which has three brass medals and is richly adorned with gold thread and bright colors. You also take his manacle, but it cracks when putting it into your pocket and you curse your bad luck. You begin taking his pants but think better of it.

The next person you decide to relieve of their burdens seems to be some sort of officer. You check his pockets and find a piece of paper...

Examine Check - SUCCESS

As you look at it, memories begin to flood back. Unfortunately, it happens to be a WANTED! paper with your name and face on it and a hefty reward to boot. Reading your charges with relish, you remember of your escapades with armed robberies, con jobs, and pickpocketing galore. You can even feel some of your old skills coming back. Suddenly you remember what happened to you. You were walking through an alley at midnight (another proof of your stature) when you heard a slight humming sound come from around a corner, reminding you of a sword being pulled out of its sheath. When you looked around the corner, you saw a dark figure holding some sort of weapon, and then remembered no more.

Zerovirus:

You see Aethail standing over some of the barely breathing victims but decide not to worry about it.

"Can't even remember my name... Where am I?"

I go through my pockets. Maybe something in there will bring back memories.
Search Check - MINOR SUCCESS

You rummage through your dirt-coated pockets and manage to find a slightly sharp pocket-knife as well as a shiny metallic object. You think carefully...

Think Check - INCONCLUSIVE

...but the only thing you seem to remember is that someone gave you the metallic object about a week ago with instructions to keep it on you. You look at the pocketknife and see an inscription saying, "C. Reun". You hope it's your name.

I then walk over to the trapdoor, banging on it with as much strength as I can muster. - [13]

You start to walk over to where you heard Flamelasher yell from, when you realize that the ceiling is too low to walk; you begin to crawl over to where you heard Flamelasher yell from. About a minute later, you abruptly stop - narrowly missing the wall which you barely saw even though you were now accustomed to the darkness. It seems that Flamelasher is in the other hold. About to give up, you slump down when you hear...

Derek Fox [Shadowkiller]:

Bang on the wall to draw attention to me and say: "HEY! I found a way out, come here and help me break it open!"

Flamelasher, PeterPorty, and Talkal are nowhere to be seen, but Zerovirus just happens to be on the other side of the wall.
"I'm over here!" he yells. "Where are you?"

"Here!", you reply, "Right on the other side from you. I'll try to break it open from where I am - you pull the latch from the other side."

Major> Attempt to break it open [Brute Strength].

Door Strength - 25

Zerovirus Pull - 10
Shadowkiller Push - 17 - 2 = 15
Total Roll - 25 (that was close... I was sure you weren't going to make it)

Under your combined strength, the door breaks open! Zerovirus noticed the trapdoor and called to PeterPorty and Talkal. "Come over here! We found an exit!"

Talkal:

"D***, where are we?"
Zerovirus is crawling over to the corner, but he calls over his shoulder to you, saying, "In some sort of cargo hold. I'm going to find out."

Look around for a weapon. - [10]

You look around for a weapon, but all you manage to find is a piece of rope. "Anything can be used as a weapon," you think.

Minor - Try to rememember what happened.

Thought Check - SUCCESS

Your name is Jason Mornay. Through a haze in your mind you can see yourself growing up, being apprenticed to a blacksmith, and deserting after five years. You were sixteen at the time of your apprenticeship and you didn't want to be old (in your mind) by the time you graduated. However, your skills haven't quite left you. Sequences of events flash past, faster and faster, until you see them. Though it is just a memory, you cringe in remembrance of what you saw. You were the one to warn the town. When the dissapearances began, you knew what was happening. When the Visitors arrived, you submitted of your own free will. However, you had no idea that it would be like this.

Game Events:
Without warning, you can all hear the clank, clank sound of footsteps walking over a hard floor. Those who had heard Flamelasher yell all looked pointedly at him. "Sorry..." he mutters.
Two turns until whatever is making those footsteps arrives...

Player Status:

Points of Interest:

•The door in the wall is open, and now players have access to each other.
•Several of you found items or received information that could be important. What will you do with them, and is anything left best untold?
•What will you do about the quickly approaching footsteps?
•What will you do about the rest of the prisoners?
•Zerovirus - what will you do about your name? Will you accept it? if so, will you go by "C.", try to remember your first name, or make up something to fit the "C."?

NOTE: An NPC, Buck, is available for play! Those on the waiting list simply need request him by the next roll. If multiple people request him, he will be given to the one highest on the waiting list. If none request him, a generic action will be performed for him until one does.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Roll #3

Athaiel VanGoit (PeterPorty):

You grumble at the people starting to move around. You never were a social bug. "Ugh, I guess I can as well talk to you people... Should we awaken these people? They might prove useful... The last thing I remember involved some sword-fighting at midnight."

Zerovirus turns around to respond.

"And they may just hinder our escape. If our captors were able to knock out fifty people and wipe their memories, I doubt that a handful of half-awake civilians with little to no weapons will do much good. We'll have to make a decision quickly."

Search for where the sound is coming from and crouch giving my back to the side of whatever door/entrance I can find nearby, make sure I am not viewable immediately when someone comes in. - 11

Listen Check - INCONCLUSIVE

The footsteps are obviously coming from above your head, but you're not sure exactly from where.

Prepare my knife in my left hand and my umbrella on my right hand. Read the pamphlet to see under what charges I am being searched for specifically. Also kick as many people as I can in my way, gently, but enough to wake them up.

You ready your trusty knife and umbrella, then begin to pull out your flyer. You have a morbid curiosity to see what you're being hunted down for. However, you're hands are too full to read, so you put the knife in your mouth and start to read the paper. It seems that you're wanted for various muggings, an armed robbery, and the theft of the golden incense burners (through the impersonation of a high priest). You smile to yourself.

"Excellent."

On your way to the others, you decide to wake some people up. However, you're so engrossed in your criminal misdeeds that you barely notice that the first one you kick happens to be the same one who you nearly stole the clothes off of. After blinking several times, he realizes what's going on.

"Th-thief! That's my vest!"

Turning red in his portly rage, he dives at you, but only manages to trip you up. You send him into yet another sleep as a response. You go flying, and your back hits the wall next to the entrance to the other hold. Well, you certainly are concealed now.

Flamelasher:

Listen to the footsteps and make a guess on numbers.

Listen Check - UTTER FAILURE

You listen closely, but concentration is not your forte. You're quickly distracted by an unconscious woman on the ground and you fail to discern the number of people coming towards you.

THROW BUCK AT TRAPDOOR.

Smiling evilly but yet feeling a bit penitent for what you are about to do, you walk towards Buck.

"I'm sorry, but this has to be done. No hard feelings, right?"

Ignoring his protests, you fling him over your shoulder and...

Buck (Ruylon) -

Resist Flamelasher's attempt to THROW me with all my weight and strength.

You scream in frustration. "...what the HELL are you thinkin'? Get'cher han's offa me, you lummox!"

Flamelasher Suppress = 4
Buck's Resistance = 7 -2 = 5

With a sudden (rare?) moment of intellegence, you become a deadweight in Flamelasher's arms. Struggling with the effort, he tries to throw you into the trapdoor, but the effort is too much and he lets you go. You hit the floor with a thump.

You glare menacingly at Flamelasher. "Best we try to get outta here TOGETHER, hm?"

Derek Fox (Shadowkiller):

Wake up the people who are still unconscious. - 17
Moving through the hold, you begin to urge awake the deep sleepers. Several begin to rouse, and after looking around for a few moments start to panic. You find yourself barraged with a myriad of questions.

"Who are you?"
"Where am I?"
"Who am I?"
"Have you seen my umbrella?"

In frustration, you yell as loud as you can. "SHUT UP ALREADY!"

The room goes quiet. You can hear the currently disembodied footsteps quicken.

Check my pockets for my trusty serrated knife.
Search Check - FAIL...?

You search your pockets for the knife that you somehow knew that you owned. Thrusting your hands into your pockets, you find a hole the size of your fist.

"Dang."

Maybe it fell out somewhere nearby?

Talkal:

Go to the doors where Athaiel is , and while going there try to wake up people. - 10

You hurriedly crawl over to the door, kicking people indifferently as you go. A few of them groan and start moving, but the rest of them you may have accidentally sent into a real coma. You feel slightly apologetic afterwards. "My bad..."

If someone don't wake up, loot his body.

Search Check - SUCCESS

The people who, thanks to you, are now certainly catatonic you search for items. You manage to find a paper with a familiar visage on it as well as a quill from an inkpot and a small, delicately wrapped package. Looking around on the ground, you also find a serrated knife that is quite sharp. Excellent.

Shadowkiller, done nudging people awake, happens to look your way. His eyes widen when he sees your knife, and you hurriedly put it back in your pocket.

Zerovirus:

You think about this new revelation about your name, and shake your head. "I know better than to make assumptions, and provided I escape I will find my name by more reliable methods than a trinket," you mutter to yourself. Out loud, you say, "But if you guys want you can call me Darth Shadow Time King Godlord for now."

Talkal bursts out laughing. "...that's the utterly most idiotic name I've ever heard. My vote is that we just call you something generic like 'John Smith' or something similar. What about you guys?"

You ignore him and move on to deeper, more important matters.

I look at myself. How long have I been out, judging from environmental factors?

Thought Check - SUCCESS

Judging by the amount of stubble currently on your chin, you'd say about a week.

Player Status:

Game Events:
About a dozen or so people are awake, half-awake, or stirring at the least. They look fairly worn out, though. The footsteps are moving faster now. Game Event at the conclusion of the Next Roll.

Points of Interest:
•Including you 6, there are 19 people awake.
•What can and will you do to prepare for whatever comes through those doors?
•How will you escape and with who? Could more people help or hinder your escape?
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Roll #4

Flamelasher:

You lash out at Buck, who's lounging on the floor nursing his aching back. "That was pointless, now all the pain was for nothing!"

"Well then how 'bout you let me throw ye inter a d*** wall you idjit!"

Cursing under your breath, you decide to calm yourself down and prepare for whatever comes through that aperture.

Hide [Stealth]. - 17

Unlike your previously atrocious attempt at stealth, this time you manage to crawl somewhat silently behind the wall of the other hold. You may just be getting the hang of it. [+3 Stealth Points]

Continuing a bit behind the door of the hold, you hear a small "Oomph" from below you. Moving a leg out of the way, you find yourself on top of Athaiel. Suddenly you have a bright idea. Since Athaiel is now rather stiff, you prop him up on the wall and hide behind him for added protection.

He seems grateful enough. "Yeah, thanks a lot."

You answer back cheerfully. "No problem!"

PeterPorty:

You stiffly get up, leaving Flamelasher to desperately find people to hide behind. You see him end up with about three willing but unconscious people obscuring him from view.

Poke people around with my umbrella to wake them up. - 2
Flourishing your umbrella like a baton, you majestically crawl around the room, if such a thing is possible. You find a suitably pokeable person, and begin to fence with your umbrella, jabbing him with practiced ease. He responds in kind. You find yourself being relieved of your umbrella and prodded in the eye.

Barely holding back a prodigious quantity of obscenities, you stagger around with one hand over your non-umbrella-stabbed eye. With the other hand, you point to the trapdoor. Gritting your teeth, you quietly tell the people that are awake that "the door's over there."

Zerovirus:

Sneak over to the door, conceal myself in preparation for people to enter. Remain in the dark, waiting. [Stealth] - 13

Trying not to make a sound to warn the makers of the footsteps, you crouch down behind the area which you predict the trapdoor will come down. You take a deep breath in expectation and hope that your legs aren't sticking out. [+2 Stealth Points]

Derek Fox (Shadowkiller):

Discern which container will be checked first, and hide in the other. - 13
Obviously the first hold to be searched will be the one your captors will come into. You hide on the floor next to the others behind the door.

Request my knife from the kleptoman.
Calling behind your shoulder, you start a whispered conversation with Talkal, who was... borrowing some useful objects last time you saw him.

"Hey, Talkal."

"Yeah?"

"You know that knife you found?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well it's mine and I would really like to have it back. See, it even has my initials on it: D. F."

"Those could stand for my name..."

"Oh really? Well what's your name?"

"Err... Dwight... Ferguson?"

Obviously he's rather attached to the knife. Perhaps if you try again another time [A.K.A. within posts in the thread, not inside your actions]. You mutter to yourself. "So many *****ed kleptomaniacs... keep your fingers off my stuff!"

Rulyon:

Take stock of own inventory.
Search Check - MINOR SUCCESS

You find a comb and a pair of gloves. Not much, but who knows when they'll be useful?

Search for a suitable weapon, actual or improvised.

Search Check - MINOR SUCCESS...?

Searching around on the floor, you find... a baby rattle. Looks like it's improvisation for you.

Talkal:

Hide somewhere close to the door [Stealth]. - 3

You hurry over to the door with everyone else, but by now there are already four people crouched down next to it. They shush you and gesture in a different direction. You're reminded of when you were a kid and your friends are telling you that you can't hide with them. Rolling away, you manage with the utmost skill to...

Roll directly in front of the entrance.

Right in the path of the figure coming down the entrance.

"****!"

You decide to play dead. You do quite nicely, considering that that's all you've been doing for the past week.

Player Status:

Game Events:
The room goes quiet. The silence is so loud, if such a thing is possible, that you can feel your ears throb at the slightest twitch. After what feels like a lifetime of waiting, a slow but steady sound of footsteps comes. One seemed louder than the others, for none follow, and it echoes into silence. After a moment, a rather anticlimactic and annoying beeping sound begins. Once it stops, the space above the trapdoor begins to slowly lower with a barely audible hissing sound.

As all of you discreetly poke your heads around the corner (or in Talkal's case, look up), you can see one, two, three sets of footsteps come down the short set of stairs. As if the three soldiers (for soldiers they were - in dark, mottled green suits which completely concealed their bodies) hear the sigh of relief, two of them brandish some sort of weapons while the other switches on a blue iridescent light. Quick glances at the three troopers' actions reveals the following:

1. that the trooper with the light is examining the prisoners with some sort of scanner.
2. if the said prisoner is awake, the other two quickly sedate him/her and place him/her above the trapdoor.
3. the sleeping prisoners are being passed up for the time being.
4. the trooper with the light also has some sort of communication device.

Points of Interest:
•The trapdoor is now open, but it would be difficult to get past the troopers.
•The soldiers are methodically making their way around the room to your hiding space.
•The trooper with the communication device could potentially sound the alarm.[/quote]
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:19 am

Roll #5

Zerovirus:

Lash out with my knife, trying to do a full disarm of the guy with a communicator by putting my blade up to his jugular and holding him hostage.

Gripping your pocketknife so firmly that your knuckles turn white, you wait until the soldiers have their backs turned. Swiftly you roll out from where you were concealed and...

[2] - dive for the the talky-man's legs but just miss. He turns around and practically pins you to the ground. Not in the least a pessimest, you try to think of some totally non-cliche action line and...

Coolness Check - UTTER FAIL

...completely miss the boat. "Drop the talky box or you'll be talky to my stabby!"

Behind the door you hear an audible facepalm. "My God, he's an idiot," says one particularly helpful member of the peanut gallery. Desperate to prove yourself, you try to disarm the man and...

[2] - he ends up disarming you and throws your knife behind him. Now you have everyone's attention, as well as being definitely pinned on the floor.

Flamelasher:

Sneakily check the unconscious people I am hiding behind's pockets. - 20

From the pocket of who would appear to be a mighty lord, you carefully purloin, to your surprise, a genuine stilleto! Should come in handy considering the circumstances.

Assassinate a soldier with a weapon. - 8

Holding your stilleto in your palm point downwards, you edge up to one of the soldiers guarding Zero, who is currently pinned to the ground. Unfortunately, he hears the sound of you crawling up to him and looks up; so much for the "assassination" part. As anyone else would be next to a maniac with an outheld stiletto, the soldier stared at you stupefied. You take your chance and...

[14] Stab at what appears to be a weak point in his clothing. It doesn't stab as readily as you thought it would - his clothing appears to be some sort of a light armour - almost a molded plastic or polymer. However, the stilleto with its razor sharp point penetrated the armour between one of his ribs. Staggering back and letting out a muffled cry through his helmet, he still manages to shoulder his strange weapon and fires it at you.

[8] - You barely move your head out of the way, and you can hear the strange projectile that proceeded out of the weapon's mouth whizz past your ear. Behind you, someone cries out and falls to the floor.

Athaiel:

Sneak up on one of the guys with weapons [stealth] and hit his weapon with my foot [Brute Force] trying to disarm him, also step on the weapon if possible. While I'm there, stab the guy with the light in the neck, attempting to kill him. - 14 - 2 = 12

Attempting to be as stealthy as possible during a veritable streetfight, you utilize a rapid army-style crawl towards the unoccupied soldier who's rushing over to his comrades' aid. As he rushes by, you lash out at him with your foot and...

[7] - manage to loosen his grip on his weapon. As the soldier's trying to register this new threat as well as respond appropriately, you...

[3] - swing your other foot around, once again at his weapon. With surprising speed, he catches your foot and yanks it strongly, causing you to collapse on the ground.

Weakly (and rather unconvincingly, to say the least...) you call out encouragingly. "Alright guys, lets pwn them!"
---------------------------
While the three of you are fighting it out, Derek and Talkal are having a little side-bar...

Derek Fox:
*whispering* "Give me my knife back you **** kleptomaniac! I will **** break your neck and take it by force if you won't give it to me right now!" *whispering*

Talkal:

*whisper* "I'm not a kleptomaniac, it was lying on the floor, If you want it so badly then take it." *whisper*

Throw ShadowKiller that knife

You toss the knife, regretfully, into the hands of the eager and rather diabolical looking Derek Fox.

Derek Fox:

Grab the knife.

You catch your knife from Talkal and grin widely.
"Let's do this."
--------------------------

Derek Fox:

When the soldiers are turned away from my direction, sneak up behind them [Stealth] and grab the one who is behind the rest and drive my knife into his temple (skull).[Strength] - 14

Whilst the enemy is busy fighting your noble friends who were not misguided by petty quarrels over personal objects, you sneak up behind them with your trusty serrated knife. Reaching out your free hand, you...

[3] - Reach out to grab his shoulder, but you miss. Your other hand slips and your knife clatters on the floor. Turning around, the soldier whacks you across the forehead with his weapon. Dazed but still functional, you...

[13 - 2 = 11] - manage to slash open the soldier's chest armour. Anyone who wished violence on him (certainly not you...) would now have a clear opening to his vital systems.

Talkal:

If those soldier are not seeing me, sneak behind one of them,and disarm him. - 7

Because you were lying on the ground, the soldiers paid no heed to you. Nonetheless, two of the soldiers, having fended off their attackers, would see you if you moved. The soldier with the light and communicator, however, was farther off in the hold. You sneak closer to him, making a sign to Zerovirus to stay quiet. When only about three yards of distance remain, one of the armed soldiers notices you and yells a warning in some other language. The talky-man takes his hand off of Zerovirus in time to spin around with his scanner...

[20] -
ENTERING STATE OF FLOW

But in that moment the fog of war over your senses clears, and suddenly all feels right with the world. Time seems to slow, and all but your enemy fade into the background as you prepare your onslaught. Siezing the soldier's scanner out of his hands, you use it to butt his head against the floor, grabbing his light and kicking his communication device against the wall as you do. You feel a rush, as if succeeding in this endeavor has elevated you to celebrity status in the eyes of your comrades. Without moving a muscle, you lay flat on the floor. The other two soldiers, who had been gliding over to apprehend you, collided as they missed their target. Cooly you grab their weapons and flip them over your shoulders.

You feel as if you now have enough skill to disarm a battalion. How will you proceed with this knowledge? (Go to the ability section on the first post for more information).

Buck:

Buck stares at you with wide eyes as your fight progresses.

Player Status:

Points of Interest:
•Talkal seems to have had some sort of revelation. How will he act upon it?
•The soldier with the communicator has been completely relieved of his equipment
•One of the armed soldiers has been stabbed between the ribs, while the other has his chest armour slashed open.
•Half of you have been forced to the floor, and the other half are disarmed...
•The element of surprise has been lost, but you seem to have turned the tide...
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:54 am

Roll #6

Zerovirus:

Well, since the guy who has me pinned obviously is distracted, I flip out from under him while kicking his nether region at the same time. Then, preferably, I dive-roll towards my knife. - [9]

Since the soldier, who until recently had your limbs pinioned to the ground, seemed rather preoccupied with re-obtaining his equipment, you manage to crawl out from beneath him. Glancing behind him, the soldier sees he has a clear path to his communicator and dives for it, grabbing his light as he does.

"I don't think so..." you mutter to yourself. Attempting to stop him, you...

[19] - ...perform a sliding kick, delightfully choosing to aim for his lower extremity. Needless to say, he drops to his knees in agony. As he does, the switch on his light flicks on, and a dazzling light effectively blinds him. You deem, with a pleased smirk, that he's adequately incapacitated. Seeing his gaze flicker back to his equipment, you collect his communicator as well as your pocketknife. Just in case.

Looking back to your friends, you apologize for your trite remark. "Okay, so we'll just default back to the whole 'screw you' scenario. That's okay, I wasn't much for original one-liners anyways."

Athaeil VanGoit:

Stab the guy I kicked, stab him, STAB HIM!!! - 12

Bristling with rage at having been so easily subdued, your vision goes into a red haze. You whip out your knife and stab him in the chest where his armour was slashed. He roars in pain and fire his weapon at you point-blank...

[20] -
ENTERING STATE OF FLOW
...But even in your weakened state you're more than a match for him. You knock his weapon up with your elbow and lean backwards to the floor while on your knees. Although the soldier is shocked at his miss, he still presents a worthy threat. Assuming an offensive, pseudo-martial-arts pose, he lunges at you. Immediately you match his flurry of blows, and the two of you are locked in a deadly dance of arms and legs. Blocking his every move, you stay focused on his chest while waiting for a weak moment in his concentration. You glance coldly into his visor, and he hesitates for a moment. Just a moment. You reach back with your leg, hook the handle of your knife with your toes, and launch it forward. Catching it in your hand, you revert to your original thought: "STAB!" Keeping with that simple plan, you plunge the knife into his heart, and after spasmodically twitching for a moment, he lay still.

Panting with exertion, you are still able to appreciate the elegance of your excellent defense. You feel as if you could learn more from this fight. What have you observed that may help you in the future, and how will you act on it?

Buck:

Finally gather my wits and dive for the nearest discarded/disarmed weapon. - 18

Seeing Athaeil dispatch one of the soldiers, you spring towards them, grab the weapon, and move into a prepared position.

I will attack, probably rather clumsily, the nearest opponent. - 10

You figure that you should start attacking someone. Seeing one of the other wounded soldiers sparring with Flamelasher, you decide to go for him. "I'll probably screw something up..." you think to yourself. You start to dash forward, ready to attack with your new weapon, when you realize you don't know how to fire the thing. "Oh darn."

Fumbling with the buttons, you decide to push the big red one (those are always promising). The kickback is surprisingly fierce, and you're thrust against the wall as a blast of energy comes out of the weapon's mouth. Looks like you changed the setting when you were pressing buttons. The energy blast is not on target, but it incinerates the soldier's helmet to reveal a young man, currently very fearful.

ShadoWKiller:
Your original target is dead so you turn around to the other and yell at him in defiance. "Time for a little PAIN!" You ignore his look of terror as you charge towards him. "He must only be about twenty or so," you think to yourself. Ah, well. He started it.

Stab the soldier in the heart, ignoring the ribs - 8

You slash your knife at your target, but he knocks it off course and it only manages to cut his armour and pierce about an inch deep, again at the ribs. "**** - the ribs again!"

Suffering from two knife wounds, and with a grim look on his face, he presses a few buttons on his weapon. After seeing what Buck did just a second ago, you're rather nervous about what's going to come out of that opening. You find out. Apparently he means business, as a huge blast of energy shoots out of his gun...

[8] - fortunately, it appears he's trying to save... ammo, is it? for at least one more shot. The energy is not life-threatening, but it does blast you and Flamelasher off your feet.

FLAMELASHER - Stab the soldier in his ribs - 17

Since you have no personal vendetta about rib-stabbing, you decide to stick with that. It seems to be the only succeeding plan so far. You expertly twirl your knife in your hands, when you're blown off your feet into the wall. Too far away to do any real damage, and with the soldier again preparing his gun, you throw the knife at him. Your aim is true, and...

[10] - it pierces his armour, "Probably breaking one of his ribs..." you think to yourself. This is probably the case, as the soldier seems to have trouble breathing. However, now he has your stiletto.

Talkal:

Grab the closest one and break his neck. - 7

The nearest soldier to you happens to be the one who has been stabbed in the ribs three times. Have you no pity? Anyway, you sneak up behind him, and grab his neck, pulling him down. However, his armour prevents you from twisting or breaking his neck. So instead, you try to -

Grab one of the soldiers guns. - 13

Since Buck has one of the guns, you decide to take this soldier's gun instead. It's easy pickings since he's on the ground and breathing hard, so you wrench it from his grasp.

Player Status:

Game Events:
The wounded soldier, having just lost his gun, holds up his hands in surrender. He says a sentence in a strange language, then presses a button on his suit and says something else. He repeats this process several times until you clearly hear - "Please, don't kill me. I surrender." By the looks of understanding on your faces he sighs in relief. The other soldier on the ground, seeing what his comrade did, presses the same button several times also. He grudgingly repeats the same sentence as his comrade.

Points of Interest:
•Athaiel and Talkal have both given impressing displays of combat. Perhaps if they tried learning something from this fight, they could apply it to further combat situations?

•The two soldiers have both submitted to your... mercy? It's up to you to decide what to do with them.
•The soldiers have some strange items that may be worthwhile to examine.
•The way of escape is open and waiting.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 am

Roll #7

Talkal:

When I recall the fight, I noticed I wasn't focused on hitting the opponent, I was trying to find an opening in his attacks; creating the Counter Attack skill tree, which allows me to look for an opening between attacks.

New Skill Tree: COUNTER ATTACK

With this ability, you will be able to look between your enemies' attacks to disarm them, or make an attack of your own. Currently you have enough knowledge to use this skill in disarming the enemy.

Bind them with rope.

You get your piece of rope and start to borrow a knife to cut it in half, when you realize that either way it's only long enough to tie one of the soldier's hands. You decide to pick the soldier who formerly had the communicator, as the other doesn't look like he'll be much trouble.

Athaiel VanGoit:

"Athaiel thinks about the fight, and how he successfully evaded a bullet even while in a state of rage, holding back until the perfect time. During this state of flow, he learned how to form an image in his mind of where and when a projectile will end up; creating the Projectile Awareness ability, the ability to discern where a projectile will land and how to avoid it."

New Ability Acquired: Projectile Awareness!

With this ability, you will gain a natural bonus to dodging projectiles [+2].

Take everything from the guy I killed; his weapons, tools, armor, anything and everything.

You decide to strip the soldier of his useful items. His weapon happens to be already acquired by Buck, but his armour looks like it might be useful. Sitting on the soldier's chest, you start to rip off his helmet...

Armour Strength - 12
Strength Check - 18

...and it comes off, but just barely. You're glad that you were able to remove it without having to cut it out, as that could damage some of the internal systems within the helmet. The rest of the suit, however, doesn't look so promising. The chest armour was slashed by Derek during the fight, damaging some of the electronic hardware within the suit and rendering its more advanced systems inoperable. You put the helmet on, and you're happy to see that some of the technical readouts are still working. Of course, you can't read them, as they're in a different language. You start to take the rest of the suit, but it appears that your prisoners are getting restless and your companions are about to start the interrogation; you don't want to lose your initiative.

Bad-Cop Action

You swagger over to the soldiers and attempt to look professional.

Coolness Check - FAILURE

However, as the ceiling is only three feet tall it's rather difficult to swagger and it loses the effect it would have normally. Unfazed, you kick over the wounded soldier and look grimly around at the others.

"What shall we do with this scum? I say we ask nicely for help and information, if they stop being useful, a nice knife down one's throats will make the other one speak."

Zerovirus:

I walk over and grab one of the soldiers' translator things. - 14

You take the dead soldier's translator mechanism out of his suit, but it currently has a few slashed wires and short circuits from Derek's hacking. You glare at him, but he just shrugs. You don't really need it at the moment, as the prisoners currently have their translators on. It could be useful to fix, however.

"Well... Let's start with some basics. What's you guys' names, and what're you doing here?".

The wounded soldier begins shakily. He obviously needs medical attention. "I-I am Bergil, and this is Ulfast."

You mutter to yourself. "Strange names indeed..."

"We're from the..." At this he cuts off and glances at his partner. They switch off their translators and begin conversing, but Derek stops them short with a savage kick.

"Mind telling the class what you're talking about?" he asks sarcastically. They ruefully turn their devices back on.

"Bergil needs medical attention," the less wounded soldier said, "if you look in my pack you'll find some."

You give a command to Flamelasher. "Flamelasher, do you mind?"

Flamelasher:

Grumbling about assisting the enemy, you walk over to the communications soldier. Assuring you that he's not handing you some sort of secret weapon, he hands you two small blue packets. Handing them to the wounded soldier, he presses a button on his side and opens his armour. You gasp in surprise, and then look away remorsefully. His upper torso was in terrible shape. He had about five puncture holes in various places, and one of his ribs was fractured. Taking the offered packets gratefully, he cracks one open and pours the contents onto his chest. Blue sparks flicker in and out of your vision, as if they were simply a figment of your imagination, and his skin began to knit itself together again. The soldier grunts in pain, and then sighs in relief as he can breath again. However, your stiletto is still imbedded in his rib cage.

Bug-eyed in your surprise, you ask, "What was that?!"

He looks at you askance. "A Mag-Pak. For quick healing on the go, we have our magicians infuse objects with a healing spell for later use."

Now it's your turn to look askance. "Magicians? Don't be silly. We all know that there's no such thing as magic. Now if you excuse me..."

Take my stiletto back.

Deeming he is healed sufficiently, you grab the handle of the stiletto and yank it out of his torso, inducing a scream of pain and incredulity. "WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?" he yelled angrily.

Your answer is rather sheepish and inadequate. "Sorry, but I really like that knife."

Practice my stiletto fighting (like learning to lunge better). - 1

Cheeks turning red with shame, you decide to practice your stiletto training to get the others' minds off of your mistake. Picturing an invisible enemy within your mind, you jab and parry, even though swordfighting techniques are not the norm when using stilettos, which are simply long and slim knives. Spinning around for one last lunge, you find that your invisible target has turned into a real one... and your stiletto, once again, ends up imbedded in the soldier's chest. He passes out from the pain, and from the way he is struggling to breathe you guess you punctured his lungs. However, none of your comrades or the other soldier seem to notice, so you hurriedly patch his chest back up with the Mag-Pak and decide that no harm's done.

Derek Fox:

Check outside for more hostiles

Search Check - SUCCESS

You take a peek outside the trapdoor, but you can neither see nor hear any more soldiers arriving. You hope that means that there aren't any.

Loot the dead soldiers. - 12

You would loot the dead soldier, but he's pretty much been picked to the bone. You take his gloves and boots for good measure, though.

Buck:

Scowl and try to look as intimidating as possible while the others question the soldiers. Perhaps even having the presence of mind to point the gun at the less-injured (and therefore most likely to try something) of the soldiers.

Coolness Check - SUCCESS

You sling your gun over your shoulder and glare at the soldiers on the ground, keeping an especially close eye on the soldier without the multiple knife wounds. The two prisoners look away nervously, to your lasting satisfaction. You'd like to think that you look something like this:

Spoiler:

--------------------------------------

Bergil is... asleep, so Zerovirus, Derek, and Athaeil have to be content interrogating Ulfast. He seems strangely calm for having been almost killed by some crazed half-asleep prisoners. And not to mention being guarded by Buck.

Athaiel: "So. Start talking."
Ulfast: "We are from NCIC, a branch of the Norsulan army. Also known as the Norsulan Colonization Initiative Corps."

Zerovirus: "Norsula? I've never heard of that country."
Ulfast: "Country...?"
Derek: "Forget this crap. Where were we extracted from, and why did you take us?"
Ulfast: "From Erial, of course. You, at least, are all from Airrok. According to your records..." Saying this he puts up a technical readout on his helmet. "...you were all collected in or around a tavern in the city of Nurnen."

At this you all remember fondly the Red Lantern and its ale, except for Zerovirus; he hadn't remembered much about his previous life and was mortified to learn that he was a drunkard.

Ulfast: "Well, as I said, we're from the NCIC, and we have been harvesting natives to power our Colonization Plan."
Buck: "'Harvestin', you say? Like the Strangers in the stories who come and harvest organs?"

A few of you blanch, as the old Stories were well known in your parts, and the tellings of them had been escalated with the rise of the Dissapearances.

Ulfast: "No, of course not. Think of it as 'extraction'."
Zerovirus: "But why? Why would you take innocent citizens of another country?"

Ulfast begins to become nervous. It appears it's a subject he's not fond of.

Ulfast: "Our goal was to save remnants of native populations before they became taken by... the darkness."
Derek: "Wow. I knew that these army types were rather thick, but this..."
Ulfast: "No - listen to me! Has your country experienced strange happenings recently? Such as disappearances, strange creatures, geological or astronomical phenomena?"

You nod uncomfortably about the first two items, which touch a sore spot in your memories, but remain rather clueless about the others.

Ulfast: "They're not just coincidences. Our scientists have been examining this anomaly, previously considered to be a coincidental shift of the cosmos. That was until the darkness came. From a distant, almost isolated group of seven planets in a Galaxy on the Outer Rim, strange readings began to appear. The planets were slowly... dying, corrupted by some cosmic material that took the life out of the planet. This solar system was quarantined and the people evacuated, but the infection just kept... spreading. Deciding to examine this... disease before it was too late, we examined a few of the polluted planets and were surprised by what we saw. In every planet, the infection was heralded by the arrival of otherworldly creatures - vicious brutes who proceeded to take over the planet, committing genocide on all its inhabitants. Seeing a pattern through the destruction, we decided that this was not a random occurence, but a brutal and calculated attempt led by a master of strategy. To control the universe."

All of you had listened in confused, but rapt attention throughout this narrative, but there were some (you thought) glaring errors that needed to be addressed.

Athaeil: "All this talk of 'planets' and 'space' is great and all, but how do you know all this? No-one has ever been into space."

Ulfast: He chuckles as if remembering some private joke of his own. "You want to get out of here, right?" You nod your assent. "Follow me. No, wait. I'm currently tied up. Someone carry me out of the trapdoor and follow my directions."

Warily Derek picks Ulfast up while Zerovirus gets the unconscious Bergil and you carry them out of the trapdoor, leaving the drugged prisoners behind. The rest of the prisoners had either passed out during the fight or elected to stay out of danger.

You ascend into an unnaturally bright hallway, with the walls and floors made of hardened steel. The light burns your eyes immensely after all those days in darkness. On the walls are luminescent lights like the one Zerovirus confiscated. To your right is a wall-length window.

Ulfast: "Look out the window and you'll see what I mean."

Turning to your right, you see...

The same thought is echoed in all of your minds simultaneously. "Oh, God."

A vast, neverending void opens up like a spreadsheet before your eyes, dotted occasionally with small pinpoints of light. Immense chunks of rock whoosh by at the speed of light, and one the size of a large ship comes towards you just to bounce off some sort of glowing shield.

Ulfast: "Now do you believe me?"
Zerovirus: "I-it seems we have no choice. But I must ask - why were we chosen?"
Ulfast: "Isn't it obvious? Your planet is beginning to obtain the first symptoms of this 'disease'. Already your atmosphere is surrounded by the Darkness."
Athaeil: "You mean..."
Talkal: "Oh God, don't say it."
Zerovirus: "Our planet..."
Buck: "And everyone in it..."
Derek: "Is dying...?"

Ulfast: "...yes. I'm sorry. I hope you now see why extracting you to a new world, far away from this threat, was the best course of action. Now will you choose to come with us, to a world of safety, or die with everyone else on your godforsaken planet? It's your choice."

Player Status:

Points of Interest:
•You're.... in space....
•Bergil mentioned something of magic...?
•Some of the Norsulan equipment may help on the ship.
•Deciding what your goal is would be a good course of action.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 am

Roll #8

PeterPorty (Athaiel VanGoit):

You're not a bit fazed about the whole "the-universe-is-going-to-be-destroyed" deal. Your just worried about what the whole thing will mean for you. Typical.

You start with the basics. "So why us again? For all you know, we're from a backwater town in the middle of a Stone Age civilization."

Ulfast apologizes. "Well to my eyes, it's a small town. Then again, the smallest village on my home planet is at least a kilostep across."

"So what - a thousand steps? That's not so big."

"No, more like 7 miles in your units of measurement."

Appeased for the moment, you continue with your line of questioning. "Why do you care what happens to us? It's not like we're that important - even on our own planet we're just regular guys."

Ulfast responds sarcastically. "Well, we thought that a few stray drunks would be a good representation of the nobler side of your planet." You bristle in anger, but than again he's not far from the truth. "Anyway, it's not that you are important individuals yourselves, per se; you, and all your other countrymen or people from your planet, here or down in those holds, are the last remnant of your civilization. Your culture, way of life, and history that you have remain with you."

"What - you mean everyone else is already dead?"

"No, but they will be eventually."

"Isn't there anything we can do to help them?"

Ulfast sighs in response. "If the greatest - well, the only - interstellar civilization in the universe could not stop this disaster, I don't know who else could. Now - can you untie me already? It's not like we're trying to kill you anymore."

Also inquire about this "magic" they mentioned previously.

Talkal:
"You said something about magic, would you mind telling us how it works?"

Persuasion Check: SUCCESS

Ulfast thinks for a while. "Well, I'm just a normal recruit. I'm not a magician or anything. However, if you do decide to go along with the system, and don't try to kill anyone, we have some people that could teach you the subject. In fact, I have a friend in the Force who could help you with that." He hands Talkal a type of business card.

Shadowkiller:

Untie the soldiers, apply the 2nd Mag pack to the wounded soldier and carry him in a piggyback. - 13

You untie Ulfast, who rubs his chafed wrists in relief. He doesn't look very grateful, though. You weren't expecting it after all the trouble you gave him. Turning your attention to Bergil, you see that he's already untied. You ask Flamelasher for the other Mag-Pak to heal any other injuries, but he mutters back. "I... already healed them all." Shrugging, you sling Bergil over your shoulder and go to join the others.

Rulyon (Buck):

Taking a deep breath, you prepare your rather slow but deliberate mind to assess the situation."Well, shewt, I feel kin bad now for us killin' that friend of yours, nowat we know you was jus' tryin' to save us. Ummmm... Can your magic do somethin, like make him alive a'gin? Or am I gonna have live with guilt the rest of my life? But y'all WAS goin' about it all suspicious-like. Gotta unnerstand why we all thought we was in danger. Are we in trouble? I hope not, this is a nice, shiney boat you got here, I'd like to look around. And I guess I'll shut up know, seein' as how all y'all's stares is telling' me I'm ramblin' again. But you know what I think? I think just learned somethin' important.

Turning to the window, you look dramatically into the distance to end your speech.

"We learned... HOLY SHEEYUT! THAT'S A BIG ROCK!"

You shakily point a finger at one of the planet-sized (in your perspective) asteroids that bounced off the ship's forcefield.

Shadowkiller (Derek Fox):

You sigh in exasperation. "Relax, Buck..."

You turn around to the others. "Well, guys. I never thought I'd see the day that something as weird as this would happen to me... But where to now?"

The others start for a second. Getting over the exciting but yet bewildering notion of being in space, you all realize that you don't know where to go from here.

Flamelasher:

Practice with my stiletto. [-]

Getting bored of listening to all this talk of death, you begin toying with an instrument of death. Starting to practice, you remember your former accident involving stabbing an already severely wounded soldier. You won't learn anything stabbing air. Besides, now's not the time to play around.

Zerovirus:

Acknowledging Derek's questioning stare, you nod and turn to Ulfast. "There's no way you made all this up, since we'd never believe you if you were trying to convince us of a falsehood. That makes all this true- and it also makes your claims at least somewhat acceptable. Is there nothing we can do for our planet?"

Ulfast shakes his head. "I'm afraid it's on an inevitable course. The most you could possibly do is hide in some hole in the mountains, but I doubt much can be done to avert its doom. We know too little, but the little we do know makes it clear that nothing short of a miracle would suffice."

I make a mental note not to worry too much about my past name. Names are ephemeral on a galactic scale.

You decide the fate of the universe is more important than what people call you.

"Is there any reason you didn't actually inform us instead of simply teleporting us in here with your voodoo magic?"

Ulfast glares at you in indignation. "Voodoo magic?!? We only use the most humane tranquilizers we know of. But think about it - would you have believed us? could we, a group of "alien Strangers", have gained your trust in time? if we had, how would you be able to leave your world behind?" You're uncomfortable about the situation, but you have to agree with his point of view.

After he answers, make sure to ask about where his leader is, where we are going exactly, what they know about this enemy, what they're doing to combat the enemy, and also recall what the strange phenomena in general are.

Ulfast answers this barrage questions calmly and dutifully to the best of his abilities without revealing vital information, knowing that he's still in the mercy of you six. "He's been trained well," you think.

Ulfast: "About your first question - the leader of the Norsulan government as well as the army are currently in Norsula arranging evacuations. We're currently en route to our colony in the 13th Delta: Wordok. Though with your fighting skills, we may have use for you elsewhere. About the enemy..." he shudders. "That information is currently classified, but once you are assimilated into the system you may have clearance to it."

Derek mutters to himself. "Well that's helpful..."

Ulfast continues. "With your leave, may I contact my superiors now? Or at the least can we head off to the main wing?" He holds out his hand for the communicator.

Player Status:

Points of Interest:
•What is your course of action?
•Will you give the communicator to Ulfast?
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:27 am

Roll #9

Your curious about what Ulfast and Bergil were doing to the unconscious prisoners. "I want to ask you just 1 more thing, what were you doing with those scanner things?"

Ulfast replies, "We were scanning their vital signs for any signs of consciousness or sickness. These were to be sedated and sent to Rehabilitation."

Zerovirus looks slightly perturbed. "Rehabilitation? So that's where we'll be taken? What is it, anyway?"

Ulfast looks apologetically at you. "Well, normally you would all be taken to Rehabilitation, where you would be wiped of memories of your world and such, to be replaced with memories applicable to the situation. Precautionary measures, of course; for most, the information you have learned would destroy their minds."

"But we're okay, right? We won't be sent to Rehab?"

"I'll have to check with my superiors, but I don't think it will be necessary," Ulfast answers to your relief.

Zerovirus:

I hand him back the Communicator and assume an unassuming position at the back of our group.

You finally hand the communicator back to Ulfast and step back.

"I want to help. Lead and I will follow. Not like I have a real choice now."

Ulfast looks relieved. You suppose that if you had refused, he'd be in a rather difficult fix after all the information he had imparted to you.

Rulyon (Buck):

Somewhat ashamed of his exclamations, as well as the way he's failed to prove himself since waking up, look outside and contemplate the beauty of space and his place in it now.

You step away from the group and stare outside the window, marvelling at how small and unimportant you are in the universe... so small... Some of your early fears come back, and you watch the asteroids to make sure none come past the forcefield. Then you see a rather small asteroid, going against the flow of the rest. Small flames are coming out of the back. You're no physics expert, but something seems strange about this. "Wait a minute..."

You shrug it off for now and try to remember your past.

You can't remember much since waking up, but you know that you weren't always so slow, and that "Buck" isn't his real name. All the townsfolk just call him that now. Snippets of memory surface... "There goes Ol' Buck. Shame what happened to him." You sigh in mild frustration, unable to remember anything else. Just those two bits of information. Your scalp itches, and when you reach up to scratch you feel the raised line indicative of a scar from a healed injury.

"Oh, well," you think to yourself, "best let the others handle the situation... 'Ol' Buck.' Just go with what they say, they'll understand it better."

Study the gun, careful not to point it at anyone, and try to recall the fight, what buttons he pushed. If he can figure out which one changed the settings on the gun, maybe he can figure out the rest.

Examine Check - SUCCESS

Without testing the gun, you make a mental note of the "FIRE" and "MODE" buttons. You want to try the others, but without being able to read the technical readouts you don't want to risk it.

You're still curious about magic. "I want to learn this so called magic you're talking about; it might prove useful at some point."

Ulfast rolls his eyes at you. "Like I said, I don't know anything about it. If you join the Force then we may be able to arrange it."

Ask for weapons and tools.

Persuasion Check - FAIL

"Can we have some weapons or tools? They may be useful later."

Ulfast shakes his head. "If I walk into the main wing with six "supposed-to-be prisoners" armed to the teeth, every one of us will be in more trouble than you civilians can imagine." His countenance darkens. "I'd also recommend taking off Aldor's armour. He never should've died in the first place, and looting him was a bad idea from the start."

Talkal:

You cock your head to the side. "You mentioned something called "the Force"... what is it?"

"Oh, it's the armed forces. It's just easier to call it "the Force"."

See what's inside the package I carry. [-]

You open the decorated package, and hold your breath... wait - nothing's in it. Phooey. You start to toss it away, when you feel something on the package...

Search Check - SUCCESS

It's a small bump. When you press it, a compartment slides out of the bottom! You shake the compartment into your hand, and a small vial with an even smaller amount of liquid comes out. "It must be very precious," you think to yourself. You carefully put it back in the case for now.

Flamelasher:

Clean my stiletto while staying with the others. [-]

You wipe your stiletto on your shirt and wait for everyone to make a decision.

---------------------------------------------

Ulfast stands up. "Alright. Follow me, stay close, and DO NOT wander off. I don't want any of you being waylaid by trigger-happy draftees."

Follow Ulfast, don't drop the guy I'm carrying. - 7

You try and secure Bergil more firmly on to your shoulders, but he slips on the ground. Thankfully, Ulfast is turning the other way, so you heft him back up and follow Ulfast.
---------------------------------------------

The eight of you walk... well, except for Bergil... towards the main wing of the ship. You six are rather nervous because your fate is entirely in the hands of a man you were trying to kill about 20 minutes ago. You trust him, of course, because how can you not trust someone with a shiny spaceship?

You exit the hallway you are in just to enter a larger one, like a tributary crossing into a stream. All the hallways appear to be whitewashed and lit by strobe lights. You guess that this must be a maintenance hallway or such in a long network of hallways, stairs, and wings. You're only partially wrong - there are no stairs. "On this ship, the NSF Behemoth" Ulfast explains proudly, "we have only the finest technology. These Molecular Beaming Systems are positioned around the ship, and transport you to the necessary station. Let's all get on, though keep about a 2-feet radius."

"Why?" Talkal asks.

"Well, you don't want to get your brains swapped during Transfer."

Humbled with this warning, you position yourselves as far apart as possible within the mechanism. You wait for something to happen, but the doors open and you walk out feeling no different. You suppose that it's a good sign.

Turning the corner, you see the first sign of life. A large group of soldiers and some others in normal clothing are coming towards you. They're on some sort of metallic wheeled cart that's moving incredibly fast. "Ulfast must've already sent a message..." you think to yourselves. The lead soldier pulls up in front of you. "We'll be your escort," he growls in an obviously automated voice, "please place all of your weapons here..." he points to a container on the cart. You put all your weapons in without (outward) complaint.

After about 15 minutes on the cart, having everyone watch you as if you were on the "Most Wanted in the Universe" list, you began to get more nervous as time goes on. Finally, you pull up to the side. You walk into a large room labelled "COMMAND CENTER" where about a hundred or so people stationed. "They must be very low-staffed," you muse. Being led forth to your judgement, you hear...

BOOM!

An enormous quake shakes the ship. On the screens around the room, red lights appear one by one. An automated voice says, "Hull Breach in Sectors: Alpha 2,6,4 ; Delta 3,7,2 ; Gamma 2,7,1" The un-armoured men blanch visibly, and you suppose the armoured ones do also. The military strongman leading your escort approaches the man you presume to be the engineer - he's the one pulling out his hair in frustration.

"What's going on?" he says, forgetting to revert his translator to his original language. The engineer changes his setting quickly. The soldier says again, "What's going on? Has an asteroid breached our shields?"

The engineer shakes his head, and in a flurry of activity checks a row of buttons, switches, and screens. Suddenly he blanches whiter than the other thirty-four currently blanching officers. "W-we-"

"Spit it out, man!"

"We're being boarded!"

"B-But that's impossible! Practically this entire galaxy is a no-fly zone!"

"Space Pirates aren't known to obey no-fly zones, are they?"

The soldier hesitates for a moment. "To battle stations!" he roars at everyone nearby. He reverts to his original language and announces the same on a loudspeaker.

"What about the prisoners?" one of the soldiers asks.

"Give them their own weapons."

"But sir...?"

"We've got little manpower as it is. I'm sure these six country bumpkins would like to save their own lives, wouldn't you?"

You nod furiously and accept the proffered weapons. The soldier gives you a quick rundown on how to hold and fire the weapons, and dashes off. The engineer grabs six helmets, presses some buttons, and thrusts them on your heads. A slew of readouts appear on your screen, thankfully in your language, but most of you aren't used to the double vision and develop nausea.

"It'll pass," the engineer says unsympathetically. "Right now you're looking at a map of the facility. To have the best chances of surviving, get to the Combat Stations before the lockdown. If these are truly Space Pirates, they'll cut off life support the first chance they get." A flashing red light appears on your screen. "Now GO!" He runs off with the others.

Boss Fight: Unknown # of Space Pirates.

Game Events: 2 turns until Lockdown.

Player Status:

GM Note:
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:58 am

Roll #10

-----------------------------------------
Zerovirus: He yells at the fleeing captain, "Can't you just lock some magic doors or whatever? Laser them with magic guns! I thought you guys were MAGIC!" However, the captain was too busy running to hear him.

Derek: He rolls his eyes at the officers. "Garbage. Who needs life support? I'm going in."

Zerovirus - "Now wait a min-- ...he's gone.

----------------------------------------------

Zerovirus:

I look at my map, specifically seeing where the life support networks are and the major fueling lines are, as well as where potentially valuable storerooms are located. - 15

Glancing at your map, you look around for some sort of "Key" or "Word Bank"... Finding none, you decide that the conveniently placed "♥" symbols around the map are the life support systems and the orange pipe-looking-things are fueling lines. There are so many rooms you have no idea where storerooms would be, though a symbol on the map has sort of a gun shape to it... Could that be a weapons storeroom? It's rather out of the way of the Combat Station, though.

---------------------------

Zerovirus: "I believe that our first priority is to defend a node or section of the life-support network. You heard what the captain said - the pirates will probably take those out first. Prolonging our survival is always a safe plan. Most of the soldiers have run off, but we should try to work with whoever's left. I think I've singled out some supply rooms along the route to the Combat Station - who's with me?"

Flamelasher: "Let's do this!"

Buck: "Well, now, I know I won't feel bad to-... eh, fight THESE guys!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Go into the breached sectors, when getting close peer into the corner before continuing forward. - 16

Ignoring your companions' council, the flashing red lights, and all the fatal warnings in general, you run towards the breached sectors and hope that you get out before the lockdown. Looking aroung the corner, you see...

5 - Nothing in particular, so you keep turning. Out from the shadows come three men, who you assume to be the infamous "Space Pirates". They're in cheaply hacked copies of the Norsulan's suits, but their blasters look just as deadly. Having the element of surprise, they open fire...

19 - But you dodge every one of their bullets, and even as they ricochet off the metal walls you duck; they come back behind you and burn through their chest armour. Letting off some shots of your own, you...

On first enemy encounter, 3 shots burst into the chest area. - 11

...Let off three energy bursts at the enemy. The gun has a surprising kickback, shoving you against the wall. But your aim is true - two of the shots hit one of the enemy, going through his weakened armour and incinerating his heart. The other ricochets off the wall and hits an overhead lamp, destroying the only source of light in the hallway. But that doesn't matter, because at the same time all the other lights in the ship go out. "I hope I didn't do that," you mutter.

----------------------------------------

Flamelasher:

Raise gun power and equip helmet.

Rulyon (Buck):

Equip the helmet and <pewpew> gun, adjust the power setting to 50%. Not really sure if it'll do anything, but feeling as though it will make me look "pro".

Before leaving, you both put your helmets on and adjust your power to 50%. It'll use up more energy, but your shots will be more powerful.

Athaiel:"I think that our first priority should be just to run around killing people. I mean, isn't that what this whole plan is for?"

Talkal: "Well how about we just start heading towards the Combat Station and work up from there?"

Follow the bulk of the space-guys army and shoot whoever seems to be a baddie... ^_^

Zerovirus:

From there I follow them to whatever united plan we set up.

Talkal:

Major - Run to the Combat Stations.

Seeing nods of assent, you all run off to the Combat Station. By now the captain, the engineer, and his men are far in front of you, but you can still see him clearly. Turning into an auxiliary hallway, you look around for a few moments and then see the captain turning the corner. Sighing with relief, you round the corner, only to have all the lights come out simultaneously. You hear a collective curse in a foreign language, and then can hear buttons being pushed and then more footsteps pounding away. Trying to do the same, you...

12 - spend about a minute pressing buttons with trial and error. Talkal exclaims, "Woah!" and tells you the button pattern. You all get thermal vision! Glancing around, you realize that the captain and his men ditched you. "Typical soldier type..." Buck mutters. You all have to rely on your maps, now. Following the map along the hallway, you hear a rumbling sound; a large portion of the ceiling comes crumbling down on your heads...

15 - you all manage to escape unscathed, but the hallway is now completely blocked. A tinny voice comes out of your helmets. "Obstruction detected... Recalculating." After about 15 seconds of flashing lights, a path flickers onto your screen. You follow it for a while, realizing that it is leading into an air vent... Footsteps are coming from where the rubble came down.

Character Status:

Game Events:
Lockdown of Combat Station and Breached Sectors in 1 Turn.

Points of Interest:
•Footsteps are coming from the site of the rubble.
•The original path to the Combat Station is buried; the quickest way is through an air vent.
•Derek is alone in the breached sectors.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:59 am

Roll #11

Zerovirus:

"Hey guys, let's turn back."

The group starts muttering in assent, but then you begin to hear banging noises behind you.

"...No? Fine, you guys go first then."

Foolish mutters to himself. "Ladies first..." "...What do you mean I'm blocking the vent? Fine."

Proceed to crawl down the wall as stealthily as I can while hoping that my weight does not bring me crashing. - 17

You carefully squeeze past the others and wait in the back, hoping desperately that the pirates behind you will not catch up. You took a roundabout route, so maybe they won't.

FoolishBalloon:

"Why are we here? What do we try to do?"

Talkal responds. "Well we're in the air vent because we're running away, but if you want a deeper explanation... we're here because our world as well as numerous others are being destroyed. We'll be relocated to some planet or some junk like that."

Major - Try to hide in the shadows [Stealth]

You're in an air vent. Don't be silly.

"Can someone give me a weapon? Like a knife or something?"

Zerovirus responds. "Sure - here's Pete- an unused knife..." He tosses you a long, sharp knife.

Flamelasher:

Hide and get ready to unleash hell with my gun. - 9

You crouch down in a decently concealed location along the wall of the room and prepare for some sort of memo that you should all start firing.

Talkal:

Change the power of my gun to 20%

You click a few buttons and hear the soft humming sound within the gun grow louder.

Stick with others.

You get into position.

Rulyon (Buck):

Curse under my breath at the sheer magnitude of the contraption their building.

You splutter in annoyance. "My that's big... I don't like the looks of that... 'ccordin' to this map, it's directly above those soldiers..."

Take C.A.R.E.F.U.L aim on an enemy...[Accuracy] - 8

You aim down at the thickest cluster of enemies, but excitement leaves your hands sweaty and shaky. You still have a decent grip on your gun, though.

You crawl over to your friends' side of the wall and give them a message.

"I'm going to be behind them so I need you to support me, so on my signal hose them from above."

Crawl behind the enemy and get down from the vent silently. Set my weapon to 35%. Wave my hand lightly at the air vent grates. - 12

You turn your gun power up and smile as you hear the happy humming sound coming from its center. Attempting to circumvent the enemies, you stealthily crawl along the walls, but are forced to duck behind a rafter as a pirate looks your way. This place will do.
----------------------------------------------------
Group Action: OPEN FIRE!

Zerovirus - 2
FoolishBalloon - 7
Flamelasher - 15
Talkal - 6
Rulyon - 8
Shadowkiller - 20!!!

Zerovirus, seeing that it's either "beat them or join them", decides to join the group. However, the pounding sound inside of the vents gets louder, and when he turns around he sees the space pirates rounding the corner. Zerovirus decides to defend the back flank of the group and opens fire on the pirates. The shots fire into the metal at the back wall of the vent, melting the supports and collapsing the vent, but behind the pirates - only managing to destroy a means of escape. The pirates...

Pirate Rolls = 11,15,14
Zerovirus Dodge = 5,18,10

...hit Zerovirus squarely on the helmet, shortcircuiting his readouts. He throws it off his head quickly, and by luck it intercepts another bullet, absorbing the shot. The third shot grazes him on the leg, giving him a nasty burn.

FoolishBalloon, having gained a knife, throws it at the enemies confronting Zerovirus and manages to imbed one's leg. With him screaming in pain, you run over to him...

Pirate Roll - 6
Foolish Roll - 10

...and pull the knife back out, keeping your weapon and inflicting greater pain.

Flamelasher peeks out of his sniping location and begins to fire systematically at the pirates, who by now are running around like a disturbed antpile. You down three men, who attempt to crawl away, and incinerate another's leg. The power system they were constructing is unheeded for now except for a select few who are taking strategic positions around it.

Talkal peeks out from behind a wall, hurriedly going back when several shots are fired at his position. Scavenging some scraps of courage, he begins to run to another position...

20 -
Entering State of Flow

Summoning the same mental state you experienced in the hold, you leap out of your cover and sprint to a better position. You begin dodging multiple bullets in swift and careful movements, when suddenly you slip and fall off the edge.

Yet it is not a freefall, but more of a dive. When a flurry of shots come at you, you utilize a complex corkscrew and pass through the middle of the energy storm. You land in the center of a posse of confused pirates all looking upwards. When they collapse under your weight, you take your advantage. You pull out your gun and shoot them mercilessly, jumping on a pirate whenever one moves until ten bodies lie under you. You run behind a wall, but after you landed like a mortar shell the others are afraid to go near you.

Buck finally gained enough confidence to pull the trigger, when Talkal divebombed and killed all your targets. Cursing, you look for a new one; searching around, you look in the scope and find that you are staring into the scope of another pirate's gun. You fire at the exact same moment...

20 (WOAH) -
Entering State of Flow

Your two projectiles meet in the center between the two of you; each of you stand speechless their battle. Glowing as orbs of power, the two blasts fight as if possessed for dominance over the other. Bending all your thoughts towards it, you mentally cheer it on. Suddenly it gains an inch, then another, and behind the power of your mountain of thought it blasts into the barrel of the pirate's gun and explodes, blasting him headless into the wall. You stand dumbfounded. "Did all that come from me?"

Shadowkiller - 20 -
Entering State of Flow

A maniacal rage comes upon you, and laughing at the puny group of pirates you practically tape your hand to the trigger. Moving it in a spiral pattern, the fleeing pirates are blasted flat onto their backs, and the armour piercing energy shots also go through walls. By the end of your frenzy there are six casualties and several wounded.

-----------------------------------------------

Character Status:

Game Events:

There are about 14 pirates left, more or less, with 5 wounded and 6 hiding behind the power supply. The other three are behind your group. The group of 6 pirates are frantically beginning to power up the mechanism. 2 Turns until Strange Mechanism Activates.

Points of Interest:
•Several of you experienced combat epiphanies.
•Escaping through the vents is now a no-go.
•One group of pirates is accounted for, but the other could come at any moment.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:48 am

Roll #12

Zerovirus:

"Hey guys, let's turn back."

The group starts muttering in assent, but then you begin to hear banging noises behind you.

"...No? Fine, you guys go first then."

Foolish mutters to himself. "Ladies first..." "...What do you mean I'm blocking the vent? Fine."

Proceed to crawl down the wall as stealthily as I can while hoping that my weight does not bring me crashing. - 17

You carefully squeeze past the others and wait in the back, hoping desperately that the pirates behind you will not catch up. You took a roundabout route, so maybe they won't.

FoolishBalloon:

"Why are we here? What do we try to do?"

Talkal responds. "Well we're in the air vent because we're running away, but if you want a deeper explanation... we're here because our world as well as numerous others are being destroyed. We'll be relocated to some planet or some junk like that."

Major - Try to hide in the shadows [Stealth]

You're in an air vent. Don't be silly.

"Can someone give me a weapon? Like a knife or something?"

Zerovirus responds. "Sure - here's Pete- an unused knife..." He tosses you a long, sharp knife.

Flamelasher:

Hide and get ready to unleash hell with my gun. - 9

You crouch down in a decently concealed location along the wall of the room and prepare for some sort of memo that you should all start firing.

Talkal:

Change the power of my gun to 20%

You click a few buttons and hear the soft humming sound within the gun grow louder.

Stick with others.

You get into position.

Rulyon (Buck):

Curse under my breath at the sheer magnitude of the contraption their building.

You splutter in annoyance. "My that's big... I don't like the looks of that... 'ccordin' to this map, it's directly above those soldiers..."

Take C.A.R.E.F.U.L aim on an enemy...[Accuracy] - 8

You aim down at the thickest cluster of enemies, but excitement leaves your hands sweaty and shaky. You still have a decent grip on your gun, though.

You crawl over to your friends' side of the wall and give them a message.

"I'm going to be behind them so I need you to support me, so on my signal hose them from above."

Crawl behind the enemy and get down from the vent silently. Set my weapon to 35%. Wave my hand lightly at the air vent grates. - 12

You turn your gun power up and smile as you hear the happy humming sound coming from its center. Attempting to circumvent the enemies, you stealthily crawl along the walls, but are forced to duck behind a rafter as a pirate looks your way. This place will do.
Group Action: OPEN FIRE!

Zerovirus - 2
FoolishBalloon - 7
Flamelasher - 15
Talkal - 6
Rulyon - 8
Shadowkiller - 20!!!

Zerovirus, seeing that it's either "beat them or join them", decides to join the group. However, the pounding sound inside of the vents gets louder, and when he turns around he sees the space pirates rounding the corner. Zerovirus decides to defend the back flank of the group and opens fire on the pirates. The shots fire into the metal at the back wall of the vent, melting the supports and collapsing the vent, but behind the pirates - only managing to destroy a means of escape. The pirates...

Pirate Rolls = 11,15,14
Zerovirus Dodge = 5,18,10

...hit Zerovirus squarely on the helmet, shortcircuiting his readouts. He throws it off his head quickly, and by luck it intercepts another bullet, absorbing the shot. The third shot grazes him on the leg, giving him a nasty burn.

FoolishBalloon, having gained a knife, throws it at the enemies confronting Zerovirus and manages to imbed one's leg. With him screaming in pain, you run over to him...

Pirate Roll - 6
Foolish Roll - 10

...and pull the knife back out, keeping your weapon and inflicting greater pain.

Flamelasher peeks out of his sniping location and begins to fire systematically at the pirates, who by now are running around like a disturbed antpile. You down three men, who attempt to crawl away, and incinerate another's leg. The power system they were constructing is unheeded for now except for a select few who are taking strategic positions around it.

Talkal peeks out from behind a wall, hurriedly going back when several shots are fired at his position. Scavenging some scraps of courage, he begins to run to another position...

20 -
Entering State of Flow

Summoning the same mental state you experienced in the hold, you leap out of your cover and sprint to a better position. You begin dodging multiple bullets in swift and careful movements, when suddenly you slip and fall off the edge.

Yet it is not a freefall, but more of a dive. When a flurry of shots come at you, you utilize a complex corkscrew and pass through the middle of the energy storm. You land in the center of a posse of confused pirates all looking upwards. When they collapse under your weight, you take your advantage. You pull out your gun and shoot them mercilessly, jumping on a pirate whenever one moves until ten bodies lie under you. You run behind a wall, but after you landed like a mortar shell the others are afraid to go near you.

Buck finally gained enough confidence to pull the trigger, when Talkal divebombed and killed all your targets. Cursing, you look for a new one; searching around, you look in the scope and find that you are staring into the scope of another pirate's gun. You fire at the exact same moment...

20 (WOAH) -
Entering State of Flow

Your two projectiles meet in the center between the two of you; each of you stand speechless their battle. Glowing as orbs of power, the two blasts fight as if possessed for dominance over the other. Bending all your thoughts towards it, you mentally cheer it on. Suddenly it gains an inch, then another, and behind the power of your mountain of thought it blasts into the barrel of the pirate's gun and explodes, blasting him headless into the wall. You stand dumbfounded. "Did all that come from me?"

Shadowkiller - 20 -
Entering State of Flow

A maniacal rage comes upon you, and laughing at the puny group of pirates you practically tape your hand to the trigger. Moving it in a spiral pattern, the fleeing pirates are blasted flat onto their backs, and the armour piercing energy shots also go through walls. By the end of your frenzy there are six casualties and several wounded.

Character Status:

Game Events:

There are about 14 pirates left, more or less, with 5 wounded and 6 hiding behind the power supply. The other three are behind your group. The group of 6 pirates are frantically beginning to power up the mechanism. 2 Turns until Strange Mechanism Activates.

Points of Interest:
•Several of you experienced combat epiphanies.
•Escaping through the vents is now a no-go.
•One group of pirates is accounted for, but the other could come at any moment.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:50 am

Roll #13

Zerovirus:

Weapon at maximum charge. Aim for any core or weak-point on the strange structure built by the pirates that I can see. Then I shoot it in its FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE place.

You turn your weapon to 100% charge, and it starts shaking violently in your hands and glowing a blinding, shimmering blue. Looking around at the structure...

Sight Check - SUCCESS...?

You see no weak spots at all on the outer shell. That gives you an idea. You dash out of your cover and sprint towards the machine...

13 - 2 = 11 - and the space pirates are too slow to react to your dash; you dodge their poorly aimed bullets. Running up to the structure, you realize how large it is. It's middle section would cover half of the Combat Stations. Wait a second...

You roll underneath the structure flat on your back and look at the bottom for any internal weaknesses. What you see takes your breath away. An enormous hole stretches out into shadow above your head, with a blue light glowing throughout it. (unwisely) Looking down the barrel of your energy gun, you see an uncanny resemblance. Then you understand. "It's an enormous energy gun," you realize in horror, "they'll all be massacred!" Suddenly your plan doesn't seem so bright anymore. One blast down that chasm and the whole ship could blow to smithereens with you in it.

Talkal:

Jump above the power supply and kill those pirates screaming "Ninjas are better then pirates!" - 3

Calling upon your ancient ninja ancestors, you whiz over to the power supply and attempt to leap over it, but trip over a wire and fall down. Undeterred, you decide to go around it instead. You scream in fury, "NINJAS ARE BETTER THAN PIRATES!"

16 - Yelling in rage at your cliche and uncalled for battle cry, the pirates are successfully lured out of their cover, and you shoot one squarely in the head, melting his helmet, and two others in their chest armour. Recovered from their surprise, the three uninjured ones flee and your targets turn on you...

Talkal's Rolls - 7, 2, 16
Pirates' Rolls - 13, 11, 1

The first two pirates shoot off their guns simultaneously, and the combined force of the blasts throw you against the wall, leaving two foul looking flesh wounds on your torso. Not good. The third pirate, who is without a helmet, grins and saunters over to you looking eager to finish you off. As he aims his gun, you think fast and grab your gun, shooting at his feet. The blast knocks him off his feet and knocks his aim off course; his full-powered blast launches into the power source. The obelisk of energy explodes with a massive concussion, blasting the three pirates sky-high and instantly killing them.

However, the mechanism did not shut down. It was too far gone for that.

After it's done go back to the group in glory

Coolness Check - FAIL

You walk Matrix-style (what's the Matrix?) back to your group, but they're all looking the other way. Phooey.

FoolishBalloon:

Find a pirate and cut his throat, fastily retreating back. Laugh high to scare the pirates after I cut his throat. - 20

Entering State of Flow

Drawing the knife out of the man's leg, you laugh cruelly and the pirate staggers back. But not fast enough. Whipping your hand forward you grab his leg and twist him around, yanking him back and jabbing your knife into his throat at an angle. The others step back, shocked by this display of martial arts, and holster their guns to fire at you. However, you grab their heads and knock them together, whacking their guns out of their hands with your elbows. As they fall to the ground you efficiently kick the pair off of the edge of the collapsed air vent, hearing screams as they hit the bottom. "That's right," you mutter to yourself.

>Continue my rampage with a scowl at a magnitude which was never seen before.

Intimidation Check - SUCCESS

Your face twisting into a grotesque grimace, you yell maniacally and jump from your platform. One of the wounded men has cardiac arrest just from the shock, and the other four try to crawl away while the three pirates left uninjured hide behind a wall...

19 - Continuing your ferocious onslaught, you mercilessly shoot the wounded pirates, melting their vitals until all that remains are their burnt corpses. You heartless animal. Shooting into the wall, you melt the steel, and the three remaining pirates leap out from behind their cover...

Shadowkiller's Rolls - 15, 14, 16
Pirates' Rolls - 15,15,10

...but you're ready for them. Shooting in their direction, you manage to hit one of the pirates in the shoulder, but in the process nearly get your foot melted. Good thing you had that "borrowed" armoured boots from the dead soldier. Glaring at the offending pirate, you fire a burst that melts the barrel of their gun, protecting yourself from another inevitable blast.

Rulyon (Buck):

Make a break for cover and fire at the nearest pirate. - 10

Currently out in the open, you look for a spot that you could hide in. Unfortunately, you were never in the army and had no experience of cover; you decide a mutilated steel box will do. Seeing Shadowkiller's quandary, you shoot out a few helpful blasts...

15 - And from the distance you're at, you're lucky to have one of your higher-powered charges hit them; the soldier collapses. You start to cheer, but remember you're supposed to be hiding and duck down just in time to dodge a shot.

Flamelasher:

Hide and turn off my gun if it glows. - 11

Not wanting to take part in any of the action. You hunker down near the air vents and cover up your gun with your shirt. It's not glowing very brightly, but you never know when it may become a problem. Suddenly, you hear footsteps coming through the vents. "It must be the other group of pirates!" you think.

--------------------------------

Flamelasher counted to 10 to steady his nerves, and then twisted around to confront the new threat, letting fly everything he had in his gun. His surprise was unmatched when all of his bullets flew past his head behind him. Hearing a few words muttered, Flamelasher was slowly lifted into the air, and a dark form came out of the air vent.

Flamelasher, flustered, waved his arms and legs, but was forced to simply watch the figure. The man stared at him, obviously extremely concentrated, and Flamelasher felt a tingling as if someone was poking around in his dead. Then he was put down. "You're not a Pirate," he said, sounding relieved, "and neither are your friends. Good thing, too, for my strength was nearly spent. Follow me - we have no time to waste!"

You motion to your friends with the exception of Shadowkiller, who is predisposed. They gather around the newcomer - suspicious after the little you've told them. "My name is Radgar, and I'm an Elemental Mage for the Norsulan Force. My name's on the business card you have in your pocket, Zerovirus." He smiles as you all wonder how he knows your names. "But now's not the time for introductions. You may have done an admirable job of cleaning up this mess, but that there," he points to the laser, "is too big of a job for any of us. In fact, it may be too late. I've seen this before - Catalytic Lasers are no trifle, and can take out a galleon or even a cruiser. The only way to incapacitate one is to shut it down internally, and we don't have time for that."

"Well then what can we do?" Talkal says.

"We'll have to use magic." All of you roll your eyes. No one had ever had time to teach you anything. "You won't have to utilize any complicated spells - I just need someone who has had basic magic training or simply has their mind attuned to it." He closes his eyes, and brightens after a second, looking at Buck. "You - you could do this! I can tell you have strong magical potential and have used it. I need your help - this could be our last hope. It will be dangerous, however. Will you assist me?"

Each one of you stare at him. "Buck?"

Character Status:

Game Events:

There are 2 pirates left, both fighting Shadowkiller. The Catalytic Laser is revving up. Activation in 1 Turn.

Points of Interest:
•A real mage!
•Buck could hold the fates of you all...
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:53 am

Roll #14

Zerovirus:

I shoot all the legs on one side of this artillery thing, distributing my battery percentage equally, and wait for the whole thing to fall flat on its side like a tree after a lumberjack epidemic. - 12

Examining the structure, you note that it only has eight legs - four on each side. Shouldering your gun, you systematically begin shooting the four legs on the right side of the Laser. Surprisingly, the supports don't seem to be as strong as you expected; after about four shots on each leg, the machine starts to topple...

13 - You roll out of the way in time to not be crushed by the giant machine, and are satisfied to see that the machine is lying on its side. Radgar yells in horror. "What have you done?!? Just look where it's pointing now!" Looking at the direction Radgar's finger is shakingly pointing to, you see that the laser is now pointing to the blastdoors. Which cover the airlock. Which means that when the laser fires, the airlock will be breached and the ship will be open to interstellar space, killing you all.

The Space Pirates, seeing their dilemma, just fight harder (supposedly in order to escape).

RAMPAGE [on the giant gun thing]! - 14

You come to the same conclusion Zerovirus did at the same moment, and the Space Pirates are forgotten. Dodging their blasts unheedingly, you RAMPAGE on the Laser, blasting its outer hull and melting it until you can see the inner circuits; any more shooting would expose its core and likely blow you to smithereens. Not knowing this, you start to fire again when you realize your gun ran out of charge. "****," you scream.

FoolishBalloon:

Pick up any weapons I can see and fire at 50% at the pirates. - 10

You pick up a discarded gun from the space pirates and begin to press buttons. You had noticed before how the others were altering their power levels and wanted to change your own. Apparently being successful, you grin and start firing at the Space Pirates, who are rushing in Derek and Zerovirus's direction. What happens catches you off guard - apparently you changed the mode on your weapon, and now the gun is spreading out broad streams of energy. A couple of the weaker blasts clip the space pirates and send them sprawling, but the others miss the remaining pirate and go towards your newfound acquaintances...

Zerovirus Dodge - 9
Shadowkiller Dodge - 3

Zerovirus, noticing the blast too late, dives and is clipped on his left leg, adding a burn mark to match the right leg. Shadowkiller is less lucky, however, and his gun hand is singed. "Sorry!" you yell, though you know it will do little to allay the pain you accidentally caused.

Flamelasher:

Help Shadow, as my sneak attack plan is foiled! - 18

Once again leaving your cover, you quickly jump out behind the running Space Pirates, creating a much more productive stealth attack than your previous failed one. After Foolish's attack sends two of the Space Pirates sprawling, you send a well-placed bullet into the fleeing Pirate's rump, and finish off the two incapacitated ones.

Talkal:

Kill any remaining pirates and hide. - [10 - 3 =] 7

Running headlong into the melee, you dive at the fleeing Space Pirates, when they all go down from the others' shots. Trying to look important, you finish off the other one, but not before he lets fly his last words (in the form of a kick in the shin).
---------------------------------------
With the Space Pirates defeated, the six of you can only watch as the Laser prepares to blow you all to kingdom come...

Rulyon (Buck):

Follow the Mage's directions.

You follow Radgar to the Laser; he is obviously very disconcerted at these past events. Honestly, you can't see what the fuss is all about - surely a shot into space wouldn't hurt anyone except perhaps a passing asteriod.

"What do ya mean magic? All I done is shoot a guy. But if'n ya think I can help, show me what to do."

Radgar sighs in relief. "Looks like your friend's shot has isolated the inner circuits, saving us valuable time. Now about your magic - apparently your... slower moving mind can only stay concentrated on one thing at a time."

You nod, as you had noticed this before. "Now this may not seem much of an accomplishment, but when your are thinking of something, it stays so completely focused that your mind is an inexorable machine. Coupled with the aptitude for manipulating energy, this constitutes the basis of all magic. Now what I need you to do is open your mind to me, let my power flow through, but stay completely focused on these circuits within the machine. Think of nothing else."

19 - Feeling a mental probe within your mind, you relax and stare at the circuits of the machine, contemplating the intricate components and electricity merged in an almost magic-like state. Totally immersed with your reflections, and with your mind open to the magical energy flowing through Radgar, your eyes are suddenly opened. Immediately you see what others cannot - the magical flow in the universe, the neverending waves of energy that encompass all things - animate and inanimate. You see the gentle but steady flow of life within Radgar, the furious and jarring sort of life within the machine, and the slow, almost incomprehensible flow of life inside the corpses - not life itself, but energy - energy stored within the rotting materials.

With this energy alive and moving within you, you feel a sudden urge to alter the world according to your will; whether it came from within yourself or from Radgar you know not. Reaching out with these new powers, you delve into the Laser's circuits - destroying, breaking, overpowering the complex machinery inside. Your mind becomes caught up in the task, carried away by the storm if you will. You feel yourself moving and acting within the stream of energy, joining the flow and becoming one with it. You hear a faint voice from the pit of your subconscious. "Come out of there, Buck!" It could be Radgar, it could be Talkal; it almost sounds like the voice of your father.

1 - Completely at peace with the torrent of life which you - Buck, the stupid one who never did anything right - created, created with a power you never fathomed was possible, you let it carry you at its whim. Suddenly, you feel a change in the current - the machine is dying. The furious pulse of life which you felt inside of it is dissipating. "Don't Worry", your mind seems to say. "This life that I have created will sustain me."

But that life too, with the withdrawal of Radgar's power, also begins to dissipate. With it, so does your life; your mind, too deeply ingrained within the flow of magic, joins the Great Sea of Magic which goes nowhere but is everywhere, and you depart your body in peace.

Radgar looks tired as he lets Buck's head rest on the ground. "He is dead," he finally conceded, covering his haggard face with the palms of his hands. "The flow of magic was too much for him, and he let it carry him away. Life and magic are powerful things, and can do great damage to those and through those who wield it."

Zerovirus mutters bitterly. "What's the point of life anyway? His life ended in an instant, and with naught to show for it. I wish that this had never happened to us."

Radgar shakes his head. "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Zerovirus, besides the will of evil. Buck saved us all, and many else on this ship; it was meant to happen. In which case, you were also meant to be here during these dark times. And that is an encouraging thought."

Character Status:

Game Events:

The Space Pirates are dead, and the Laser is deactivated. The corpses of the Space Pirates seem to have dissapeared.

Points of Interest:
•Many of you had combat epiphanies that you could now exploit.
•The pirates' bodies have disintegrated, possibly from a self-destruct mechanism or Buck's tampering with magical energies.
•Radgar could have much to teach you at an applicable time.
•Perhaps you should finally go down to the Combat Stations.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:55 am

Roll #15

You clear your throat after the awkward silence. "I'm going to the combat station, perhaps they will have something for my hand." Saying this you glare warningly at FoolishBalloon, who starts looking around nonchalantly.

I remember what I did there in the battle, I don't know exactly what it was but... It felt evil. It felt nice! During this perverted and twisted state of flow, I fell into a savage state and I think that I could do it again; creating the Absolute Rage ability.

The Absolute Rage Ability is a passive ability giving +2 automatically to all rolls involving brutal and/or savage actions.

FoolishBalloon:

Grab all weapons I can find. Find any way to escape from the ship, and hopefully will I be able to come closer the Darkness later. [-]

You look around for weapons, but again as you noticed earlier all the bodies have mysteriously dissapeared [See Game Events on the Last Roll].

You look at Radgar. "How do we get off this ship? This neverending blackness is making me nervous."

Radgar laughs. "You can't just walk off a spaceship into the void. It would just suck the life out of you. Though I have a feeling you may be making landfall soon enough."

Change my weapon to 50% power.

You press a few buttons (the right ones this time) and change your gun to 50% power, though you doubt you'll make use if it any time soon.

Talkal:

I think about what I did during the battle - when I dodged the bullets of the pirates. I also remember how Athaiel learned his new skills at dodging bullets. During this state of flow, I learned how to form an image in my mind of where and when a projectile will end up; creating the Projectile Awareness ability, the ability to discern where a projectile will land/hit and how to quickly avoid it."

The Projectile Awareness Ability is a passive ability giving +2 automatically to all rolls involving the conscious dodging of projectiles.

Rulyon (Buck):

Lay there, motionless.

You do that fairly well.

Start to stink. BAD. - 20

Entering State of F- wait, your dead.

Anyway, concentrating you're able to multiply the festering smells inside your corpse to trouble the living. Wait - how did you do that? Suddenly, you remember where you are - looking at your body does the trick. It seems that your spirit, integrated into the field of magic, lives on somehow. Bewildered by this revelation, you return to the only place you feel safe - inside the corpse of the giant machine you destroyed.

Flamelasher:

LOOT THA BODIEZ! [-]

Getting your loot-happy face on, you prepare to dive into the field of corpses to find useful objects. Turning around, you see... Nothing. No corpses. You could scream in frustration, but there is just nothing to steal.

Zerovirus:

"So is that it? For all the miraculous power your magic offers us, it does naught lest we risk our lives?"

Radgar shakes his head. "Magic isn't petty and scheming. Neither is it evil. On the contrary - it is the ultimate embodiment of the only thing worth living for: life itself. This is also the reason why magic is so dangerous. Buck did not realize its allure, and I should have told him - for that I am sorry. There are various ways to get past this... obstacle, the chief and most valuable of which is simply concentration. Quickly and simply, concentrating on the task at hand is a necessary distraction to keep your mind from straying. The reason Buck fared so is also the reason I needed him - he focuses like a laser, never straying from the thought he is on; this led to his mind being pulled into his task. None of you would have fared so, but the rest of us would be dead."

You ruminate on the all too recent event. You feel as if you're a thousand years old although it must have been no more than half an hour.

You look hopefully at Radgar, seeking answers. "...Where do our souls, minds, spirits, psyches- where do we go when we die? What afterlife is there?"

He shakes his head and smiles. "You have no idea how many scholars, mages, and politicians have debated that point for milennia. I may be right, but I also might be wrong. There's no way to know for sure without having actually been dead."

Radgar frowns and begins to pace. Magic isn't as powerful as it seems. Its power is not infinite, and neither is our knowledge. Some things are better left untold. Magic is simply doing the best with the life you are given." He picks up a piece of twisted machinery and examines it. He mutters quietly to himself. "Some believe that we are but dust - dust in the void, doomed to an everlasting darkness." He closes his eyes and visibly brightens, pocketing the machinery as if it were something precious. "But then again, maybe we are not as alone as we thought."

You snort frustratedly. "...Whatever. I want to learn magic. I will learn your ways of ignoring HOW THE WORLD SHOULD WORK. There has to be a better way than risking ending our existence here."

Radgar frowns. "You misunderstand the point. Magic isn't some gateway to instant and limitless power."
Derek pipes up. "Is it at least a shortcut?"

"No - it is more of a road. A road with infinite paths - ones that you must choose for yourselves. But all roads have a beginning. Learning magic is not a simple 'Master - I am here; teach me what you know'; it is not an art, or a hereditary power, but a science. A science that I am not prepared to teach. At least, not in the short time we have remaining together."

Talkal joins in the conversation. "What do you mean? Where are we going?"

"I believe that you are most likely to be sent to a former colony; a way of restarting your world and building another. I am part of the Force - I cannot simply abandon my duty to them."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The six of you eventually arrive at the Combat Stations, and receive much less of a warm welcome than you were expecting. The place is in shambles - enormous holes gape through the walls, bodies are strewn around, and large metal boxes are shooting out sparks by the hundreds. Not to mention that as soon as you walk in, the soldiers kindly confiscate your guns and clap you in bonds, with the exception of Radgar. He motions for you to be calm and talks to the gruff captain you met earlier. He starts darting looks at you five, and eventually he grudgingly gives an order to relieve you of your fetters.

He begins speaking even more reluctantly. "I must to say that I... thank you for assisting us when our peril was greatest. I doubt any of us would have survived if our central life support systems were severed. I suppose some sort of compensation is due..."

By now most of you are salivating over the rewards you are imagining - magical powers beyond your wildest dreams, mountains of gold, one in particular is dreamining of a particularly nasty looking gun.

"...I hereby name you honorary Voluntary Force Cadets. Bear your title proudly among your countrymen."

You sigh, but suppose it was the best he could do. Derek clears his throat. "I don't suppose we could have any weapons, or at least some supplies for our... grievous injuries..." The captain gives you an evil eye and practically throws some Mag-Paks at you, which you gratefully use. "As for weapons... Well, you won't exactly be using energy guns where you're going."
Six Hours Later

The five of you are jittery and faint. The five of you had earlier been relocated with your countrymen, but now more conveniently situated than a cargo hold. "So that was a 'hyper-jump'..." Talkal ventured. All of you groan and rub your aching heads. Zerovirus grumbles. "They could have at least had some sort of supporting restraints..."

Around you, your countrymen (now awake) are rubbing similar aches; several of you look away uncomfortably as you belatedly recognize several neighbors whom you had relieved of valuable artifacts.

Suddenly, the ship begins to shake - more violently and violently, until all of you are flat on the floor trying to suppport yourselves against the walls. When the noise and the rumbling sensation finally disappears, you can sense a sharp descent and then a smooth landing. Then something happens none of you expect.

The entire floor of the ship begins to shift, until the floor is transparent, and you can see an enormous, wild landscape beyond. Lush vegetation and untamed wildlife fill the plains, and you can see a few dotted buildings scattered around the portrait-like scene. Then it happens. The picture you see below you becomes a reality as the floor becomes a platform that lowers down onto the planet's floor. Looking up, you see the spaceship beginning to ascend; many of the men and women begin leaping up or banging on the platform, but it is futile.

A familiar face is looking over you. "Radgar! You're here?!"

He grimaces in reply. "I got stuck with you... at least until Orientation is done. But don't hope for anything."

Character Status:

Game Events:
You're... on another planet... Look around! Ask for information. You know the drill.

Points of Interest:
•Besides the obvious?
•Radgar is back to possibly help you...

Technical Statement:
Spoiler:

Last edited by mnewton1 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:58 am

Character Introduction

Character Introduction:

As the four of you are talking to Radgar, a woman walks up.

"You bunch look somewhat normal. Do you have any idea what's going on here?"

You all shrug, but Radgar steps forward. "I'm in charge of this expedition for now. Can you answer a few simple questions for me?" She nods. "Great. What's your name, and where are you from?"

She thinks for a second. "My name is Conoree Firewolf, and I'm from Farstown in Mavreek."

Radgar sighs. "You obviously haven't been through Rehabilitation. Well, join the club of open dissenters." He introduces you four and then leaves.

She glances at you five. "I went through their 'Rehabilitation', but I didn't let them knock me out. I saw what happened to the others."

Curious about what she meant, you go around and talk to the other people you are stuck with and get a variety of strange responses.

"Oh, what a glorious colony we shall establish!"
"Did they send any toothbrushes with us?"
"I'm grateful to be part of such a powerful nation as the Empire."

Derek grumbles to himself. "These idiots have been brainwashed. Let's go look around - we obviously won't figure out anything interesting staying in the group."

Radgar hears Derek and shakes his head. "Now now, don't go wandering off. I still have jurisdiction and the power to turn you all into a bunch of 'brainwashed idiots' if I so choose."
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:02 am

Roll #16

Zerovirus:

Apparently, your philosophical side has yet begin to initiate. "Does everyone here know what's going on? What can we do in the meantime? And how many of us did you get here in all, uh, Mr. Radgar? If you already said, I'm sorry for forgetting."

Radgar sighs. He seems to do that quite often. "When will you stop asking questions? As for answers - there are about a hundred and fifty of you here - 75... possible couples, if you don't mind me saying. No one except us five know what is going on, and meanwhile you can shut your never-closing mouth."

Unperturbed, you continue satisfying your curiosity. "Could you explain what you meant by magic being the true essence of life?"

Seemingly resigned, he answers. "Basically, all life is simply energy. Energy to breathe, energy to pump your heart, energy to function your brain. But as for the topic of extending life - none have yet discovered this. We can heal wounds with life energy, but who can heal damage done to one's soul? Attempts have been made at extending a life's span - successful, in fact, for a time. But as you get closer to the end of your time, many systems begin shutting down. It requires so much time, energy, and spells to sustain your failing body that you begin to live an artificial life, devoid of purpose and meaning, and eventually most lose the will to live anyway."

Rural villager you are, you ask for the next closest thing: bionic enhancements. "Can I be a robot or something, then? That'd be cool."

Radgar looks at you curiously. "Where did you hear of robots on your planet?"

"Oh, I saw them on a ship."

"Well, it would be extremely difficult; near impossible to transfer a soul and mind into the shell of a machine. It hasn't been done as far as I know... apart from Buck... but that obviously wasn't successful." He fingers something in his pocket for a moment before falling into silence.

Talkal:

You fish the vial of liquid out of its compartment and hand it to Radgar. "Master Radgar, can you tell what is this strange liquid?"

Radgar frowns. "Where did you get this? And I like the sound of 'Master Radgar'."

You shrug and turn around nonchalantly. "I... found it."

"I'm no chemist, but examining the ingredients..." he closes his eyes at this. "...this obviously contains a large quantity of poisonous substances. I would take care not to drink it or anything."

Subdued, you gingerly place it back into its case, careful not to break it. "What is this planet? Does it have dangerous animals?" You look around but see nothing but shadows within the trees.

Radgar thinks for a moment, and then pulls out some sort of device and examines some readouts. "Yes," he admits, "but when we sent our scouting parties to this planet, they stayed quite far away. Besides, not one man was eaten or anything. Once we get to our bunkers..." he points to the scattered buildings a few miles away, "...then we'll be fine for sure. It has all of our equipment."

FoolishBalloon brightens at the thought of dangerous animals, as well as Flamelasher. Foolish runs off, and after a moments hesitation Flamelasher follows.

You frown. "How long ago was this scouting mission?"

Radgar checks his device. "Err... about three hundred years ago in your time. I doubt much will have changed. Planet 'Earth' has always been a relatively quiet system."

FoolishBalloon:

Check out the dangerous animals! - 3

You gradually edge away from the cluster of people in your group, skirting around Radgar to avoid questions. Noting that Flamelasher is also going to come with you, you dash off to the enormous forests you saw earlier.

After going about half of a mile into the forest, keeping track of where your group is relatively, you hear an extremely large rustling sound coming through the trees. Hiding behind a tree, you look to see what it is; but a twig snaps behind you. "Flamelasher?" you say, but as you turn around, you see that it is clearly not.

Three human-sized creatures are coming towards you with claws the length of fingers, a mouth almost as long as your arm, and many rows of razor-sharp teeth...

Die Bravely. - 18

You yell as loud as you can in hopes Flamelasher will hear you. "RUN, FLAMELASHER!" The three animals hiss and leap for you, when through the trees behind you a smilar creature twice the size of a house bursts through the trees, roaring louder than a spaceship entering hyperspace. The three smaller creatures weave around the behemoth, snapping at its heaving flanks, but the enormous creature snaps one in half with its feet and butts the others away; the living two dash into the trees, making an odd croaking sound.

The creature then turns to you, small morsel as you are. Your nerveless hands drop your weapons and you stand stock-still. The creature pauses, as if it's unsure of where you are. However, when you slowly inch forward to pick up your knife, it notices you and opens its jaws to welcome you. Throwing your knife away, you grab up your pole, hold it outwards, grit your teeth, and charge...

You are Dead. Thank you for Playing!

Flamelasher:

Kill and skin some animals. - 10

Jogging leisurely through the woodlands, you look for any local wildlife you could relieve of their hides. You hear a rustling in the trees, and notice a large, skulking animal with flat feet and large teeth looking at you. "That's a prime animal skin right there," you think. Apparently it was thinking the same, because it leaps out of the tree with jaws open straight at you...

18 - But you duck, and it goes straight over you. Whipping around simultaneously, you circle each other, until a crashing sound in the forest distracts the animal for a moment. You take your chance...

20 -
Entering State of Flow

...and dive for the predator, swiping your arms to jab its leg tendons. It collapses, and you kick it over, holding it down by the neck. "It's a fearsome creature," you think, "especially with its jaws snapping next to my face." You dispatch it with a swift slice of the animal's jugular (you suppose it has a jugular). You figure that you could use the same method hunting such large predators again.

Suddenly, you hear FoolishBalloon scream. Stealthily moving through the forest, you hide behind a tree spattered with blood... "Not a good sign," you think. Looking beyond the trunk, you see the dead body of some massive creature - twice the size of a house, and a metal pole sticking out of its throat. FoolishBalloon... or what's left of him, lies on the ground next to it. "By the gods," you whisper. You cover him up with leaves, suppressing a gag, and run back to camp with your animal carcass as fast as your legs can take you.

Rulyon (Conoree Firewolf):
You listen to the others' conversation curiously. "Magic? It's real? I'd like to hear more too, but don't you think we have some more important things to do right now than talk about it? Like finding shelter? It'll be dark soon, and beyond that we have no idea what sort of predators are out here."

Radgar frowns, for the third time. "Yes, you're right. We'd better be starting towards the bunkers." He calls out to everyone. "All you people of... Everyone! Follow me - we are going to our shelter in the hills to our east." He points towards the bunkers. "Stay close, and do NOT wander off. We don't want anyone getting lost, or anything worse."

Derek looks around. "Speaking of getting lost, where are Flamelasher and FoolishBalloon?"

The question is soon answered. Flamelasher is staggering towards you, the carcass of some large animal in his hands. He drops it at your feet and collapses. "Nice catch," you say dubiously, "but that thing could've bitten your head off. I wouldn't wander off again. Where is the other guy?"

Flamelasher begins to stutter incomprehensibly, and it is a while before you can make out any words. "F-fewshlbloon... ihsh... FoolishBalloon is... dead." He has a look of horror in his eyes. "Some giant creature the size of those trees," he points to some very large looking trees, "ate him! Foolish must've taken it down with him, because it was dead with his old metal pole sticking inside his throat." Flamelasher takes to muttering to himself.

Radgar sighs, for the fifth time. "This is worse than I thought. It appears the food chain has much changed since our first arrival. We need to get moving now. Flamelasher, dump the carcass if you will. We don't want any more of these creatures on our tails."

Look around for something she could use to defend herself, be it a big rock or a sturdy tree branch.

Sight Check - SUCCESS

You look around for some sort of weapon; after that revelation you figure that you'll need one. You find a suitable walking stick, and considering you're going on a trip of a few miles it's probably better not to get anything larger. Picking it up, you brush away some leaves and walk back to the group. Once you get there, you notice a large rash on your hand. "Owch! What are those leaves over there, Radgar?"

He walks over to the plant and grimaces. "Those are 'Poison Ivy' leaves. They grow on most organic planets, in fact; I'm surprised they're not on yours. They induce rashes on carbon-based lifeforms." Derek rolls his eyes. "Meaning," Radgar explains, "animals and people."

"Cool," you reply, "these could come in handy." You carefully pick up some leaves with your stick and put them into your pack.

You listen to Zerovirus's questions and are about to leave, when Flamelasher breaks down crying in front of you. "I didn't know this place was so dangerous," you tell the group, "there's no way this place is as quiet as it seems!"

Walk away from the rest of the groups, make sure to glare at anyone looking my way looking like he wants to talk to me. - 8

You walk a bit in front of the group, keeping far enough away to avoid having to talk to idiots, but close enough to avoid certain death from hidden predators. "Just scouting ahead," you think. Looking in the valley below, you can see some dark masses moving around.

Character Status:

Game Events:
Shadows are beginning to stir in the forest, and in the valley down below. 2 Turns until Nightfall.

Points of Interest:
•You need to get into a safe location.
•There could be more fierce animals around here.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:04 am

Roll #17

Flamelasher:

Skin the animal carcass. - 20

Entering (Another) State of Flow.

Cutting a large slit in the middle of the strange animal, you drain most of the blood and begin to skin the carcass, cutting the ligaments and breaking the joints where they attach to the skin. It's very fluid and relaxing work, and you wonder if you had done this before. In fact, with your expert hunting moves in the forest and your skilled skinning moves at the moment, you wonder if you could learn any hunting skills from this that you could use later.

You end up with a nicely skinned carcass. Having nowhere to put the meat, you leave it in the carcass and simply hold it like you would a child. Several people look at you strangely, but what else can you do?

Talkal:

"Earth? What a strange name for a planet. Do you know how old is it?"

Radgar looks offended. "My son is named Earth. And no, we have no idea of this planet's age. Our most advanced dating methods..." Derek snickers at this. "...are still very ineffective, and we can occasionally err by hundreds of millions of years."

You look around at the forest. The shadows seem to be encroaching on you, drawing nearer to your encampment. "We better get moving, and fast, I don't like those shadows."

Radgar frowns. Zerovirus says in exasperation, "Would you quit frowning? It takes more muscles to frown than to smile." Radgar smiles, but not in agreement to your suggestion. "That's a common misconception. Frowning is actually easier than to smile. You should try it more often."

You all wonder if he's serious or not, but don't bother asking him.

"But yes, we do need to get moving. I'll give the order." Radgar does so, and you set out towards the bunkers, keeping a wary eye on the seemingly approaching shadows.

Derek mutters to himself in Zerovirus's general direction. "Pussy."

Zerovirus doesn't hear you. Oh well, there'll be plenty of time to insult him later.

Keep going ahead of the group, look around for moving things in our path and in the tree line [Scouting]. - 18

You wander away from the group, examining the groups of shadows wandering around the valley. Looking intently from the top of a cleft, you can clearly see... a large group of people! A dark mass with bobbing heads is slowly crawling in your direction, though they obviously haven't noticed you. Looking down over the bluff, you see a large horde of animals. They have stubby legs, are about 9 feet long, and appear extremely durable. They're not carnivores, as they are content on the plants and grass beneath their feet. You slowly back away as to not draw attention to yourself...

14 - And you manage to get to a safe distance. You run back to Radgar and the rest of your group to tell them of your find.

Ask to borrow a knife from someone. If they agree, use it to whittle a point on one end of my stick to fashion a crude spear out of it.

14 - You walk over to a random citizen. "Excuse me, sir, could I borrow a knife?"

He glances at you and smiles brightly. "Certainly! We shall have no need for such weapons in this new utopia we shall create!"

You shake your head and respond curtly. "Someone has just died. We need to keep careful watch, and stop wandering about like doddling fools."

His grin dissipates, and he looks puzzled for a moment. Shaking his head he goes back into the group, leaving you with an excellent knife.

[12-2 = 10] - You begin scraping the ends of your walking stick while walking, and in a little while have a tapered, if rather blunt, spear. The rubbing aggravated your inflamed hand and you're having trouble working on it any longer. Looking around, you see Derek running back, with apparent news.

Zerovirus:

You ask Talkal for some of his poison, but he shakes his head and rubs his pocket. You obviously aren't going to get any unless you ask nicely.

Stealth is somewhat agility-based, right? I climb a tree and hide in it. - 14

You figure that you can get a better view of your surroundings by... hiding in a tree... so you look for a suitable one. You see an enormous tree - at least 300 feet high - and decide that THAT is the one you will climb. "I was always relatively agile," you think to yourself. You swing from branch to branch, almost chittering like a squirrel as you do so. You note that your friends are watching you with a look between "amused" and "confused". They're probably used to your weight collapsing everything. You see a swathe of foliage near the middle of the tree and decide to head there. About 3/4 to your goal, a branch suddenly cracks beneath you. "Curse my weight!" you scream. Fortunately no one heard your tirade. Trying to catch yourself, you...

11 - ...manage to hook your legs onto a branch - the last one hanging beneath you, in fact. Subdued, you're satisfied with a screen of leaves and branches.
-----------------------------------------

Derek comes running back to the group. "What the hell is he doing?!" He yells, pointing at Zerovirus, waving to him from a tree. Everyone else shrugs, and Derek ignores Zerovirus. Zerovirus leans in to hear what he's saying, and slips off his branch - thankfully falling in a springy bed of moss.

"There's a large group of people down there," Derek says pointing to the cleft up ahead. "They were hunting some sort of animal - they're all dressed in animal skins or something like that."

Radgar replies dubiously. "Are you sure? It is getting quite dark - I don't think there is any sentient life on this planet - much less humans."

Derek shakes his head. "I know what I saw. Maybe we should capture one and make him tell us what's going on."

Radgar responds in the negative. "If there really are natives here, capturing one would just bring the whole place down on our heads. I'd suggest skirting the area, but then we'd have to go through the forest. What do you all think?"

Character Status:

Game Events:
Shadows are beginning to stir in the forest, and in the valley down below. 1 Turn until Nightfall.

Points of Interest:
•You need to get into a safe location.
•What will you do about the natives?
•How will you get to the bunkers?
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:08 am

Roll #18

Zerovirus:

You roll your eyes at Talkal. "Come on, Talkal. It's not like you're using the poison- if you're not going to let me use it, maybe you should dip your own weapons in it at the least."

He shakes his head stubbornly. "No. We don't know how this poison works, and we don't have a cure for it."

"It works by killing people! And I'm not going to stab myself or anything..."

Talkal sighs. "I just don't want to be too careful." He looks around and you nod your head. You feel the same way. The trees overhanging you look alive, with their boughs threateningly shaking at you.

Zerovirus - I vote avoid the Natives. I suggest that we head through the forest.
Shadowkiller - "If they are human we can always.. "Barter" (air quotes) with them if they won't let us pass. I say we go straight through them *evil grin* while killing them if the need arises."

You both quietly argue with each other and Radgar over which direction you should head in. Derek's argument is more sadistic, however. Radgar appears to be indecisive...

Persuasion Check:

Zerovirus - 9
Shadowkiller - 1

...but when Shadowkiller suggests mowing the natives down, Radgar immediately shakes his head. "We're in no state to afford confronting these natives. I don't exactly like Zerovirus's idea of climbing through the trees, but it seems we have no choice but to go through the forest. Let's keep an eye out for trouble, shall we?"

Thus appeased, you grin and continue your excursion through the trees.

I'll climb back on the tree and proceed to climb trees to follow my party until I inevitably fall off of a weak branch. If there's anything useful in the trees, I take that- maybe fruits or eggs. - 9

You warily climb up the tree again, staying about 35 feet off the ground to minimize the chances of grave injury while still keeping a safe distance away from possible predators. You follow your group as they weave through the trees, and keep your eyes out for useful objects and weak branches. Reaching the end of your tree, you take a deep breath and leap over to the next overhanging branch. You make it, and sigh in relief as it doesn't break on you.

You sense a shadow passing over your eyes for a swift second, and look up to see a large bird diving towards you...

1 - You cover your eyes, but that does nothing to help your predicament. The bird, wait - you can see it is definitely not a bird. It has small, beady eyes, as well as webbed wings. It's head is in the shape of a triangle, with the most fiercest point coming in the form of its beak. You lash out at it, but its sheer size prevents you from knocking it over; it grasps onto your shirt with its hooked claws and leaps off the branch...

10 - Not giving up yet, you grab its head as it leaps off into the void and yank it downwards. The beak ends up next to your face, snapping and trying to force its way out of your grip. You give one last heave downwards, which leaves the winged predator as well as yourself hurtling towards the earth...

You sullenly trudge through the forest with your band of nincompoops, regretfully wishing that you had been able to... initiate conversation with the natives. Looking up, you see Zerovirus tumbling down to earth, and are about to curse with frustration when you see the issue. You ready your knife and wait for when they make contact with the ground...

Talkal:

Look around for a stick and a sharp stone, and make an axe from it. - 6

There are plenty of sticks around. It takes you a while to find a stone, but you eventually find a sufficient one. You knock them together forcefully, and the stone penetrates the wood, but falls out soon afterwards. You're obviously going to have to find some sort of restraint to hold it together. You look around for something that may help...

Search Check: SUCCESS

... and find some tendrils of bramble. You tie the stone and the stick together. "It's probably a temporary fix," you think, "just until I can get some real equipment." You look up and see a large animal hurtling to you, as well as Zerovirus. "By the gods!" you yell. You do NOT want to be under Zerovirus when he falls. You dive out of the way...

8 - and get your foot stuck in some of the brambles you had found. You get it out just in time; the bird-like creature is now flopping furiously across the ground, with Zerovirus desperately trying to hold it down.

Flamelasher:

Turn the animal skin into a cape. - 18

"The skin is a bit too small for clothing," you think to yourself, "so I'll make a cape." You clean out some of the gore from the cape. Unheeding of the stench, the appearance, or the abhorred looks of the villagers, you drape it over your back, not trusting the skin enough to put your arms through it. You think you can see tiny, hungry eyes looking at your from the shadows at your cape.

In fact, one such miniscule creature fearlessly hops out of its concealment, strutting towards you. "It almost looks cute," you think to yourself. It's a small, green, four-legged creature, about a foot high with a long tail. You reach out to pick it up, when it nips at your fingers. Suddenly deciding it isn't so cute anymore, you lash out with your knife...

14 - ...and stick it in the neck, killing the small creature instantly. Instantly, the eyes in the forest go dark. You can hear intermittent 'Meep!' sounds emanating from the trees.

Continue whittling my crude spear into something potentially more damaging. [Weapon Crafting] -
[5 - 2 = 3]

You keep working on your spear while you walk, and are making fairly good progress when you trip and drop your spear. "Curses!" you mutter under your breath. Though, you suppose you should've looked where you were going. Looking down, you gasp; you tripped over a cute little creature, stabbed with a knife of some sort. Looking around for the culprit, the only person you see out with a knife is Flamelasher, accompanied by an unholy smell. Deciding to refrain from asking questions for now, you pick up your spear and continue on.

Hearing a grating noise, you look at Flamelasher to see if he has begun to plague another of your senses. But he is looking somewhere else; following his gaze, you see a tumbling mass of flesh and... scales or something of the sort. Gripping your makeshift spear, you sprint over to where you project they will land.

As the creature lands, lashing out and snapping with its powerful jaws, you stare into its eyes and let fly your spear into its open beak...

6 - But your aim is awry from such a distance, and the stick flies towards its wings. But the sharpening paid off, as the weapon pierces through the reptile's outspread wings, leaving a gaping hole the size of your fist. You run behind the creature to try and retrieve your hard-earned weapon...

12 - ...and grab it before the creature can turn about.

The five of you as well as Radgar a few others make a circle around the bewildered villagers, trying to fight off these dual threats.

Character Status:

Game Events:
It is nightfall. In this forest, the trees block out the starlight, obscuring your view.

Points of Interest:
•You need to find some sort of lightsource.
•Some small creatures of unknown numbers have been attracted to your group.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  mnewton1 Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:10 am

Roll #19

Flamelasher:

Fight the Jerks! - 7

After you start thinking about it, there are jerks all around you. You finally decide that the villagers pose no threat to you. No - the true jerks are the pygmy green animals trying to take your cape. Brandishing your stiletto, you step forward, confronting the field of eyes within the forest and yell defiantly. That didn't go over very well. A swarm of about thirty of the green creatures stampedes from the foliage, and suddenly they don't seem so helpless any more. All running towards you with hungry gleams in their eyes...

14 - ...you valiantly begin to fight them off. As four of them jump on both of your arms, you stab each one methodically, sustaining several bite marks. A few of them you crush as they get too close, and they hobble away. But the main force reckons that you're more of a target than they realized, and they circle you in formation, and all leap towards you at once!

13 - Claws and fangs assaulting you from every angle, you decide to run for it. As they gain grips on your clothing and begin to climb up your back and legs, you fall to the ground and roll over, shaking them off. You grab two of the - "Chompies," you decide to name them - and bang their heads together, throwing them back into the throng. The Chompies are easily distracted, and they circle back to feed off their fallen members. You shudder, and start sprinting back towards your group, who are by now circling the large vulture-like creature.

Zerovirus:

Capture the creature, slit its throat, perform general Xcut across chest and vivisect the bugger, making sure to keep any air bladders intact. Detach the wings whole. The beak and claws on the thing can go in my pocket, for now. - 13

As you circle the monstrous reptilian bird, which has a massive wingspan - about 25 feet - you attempt to wait for a vulnerable moment. When Flamelasher starts lashing out at the green animals, the creature is distracted for a moment. You sieze the moment and jump onto its back. It rears up and starts thrashing to get you off...

17 - ...but your grip is not loosened. Holding it by the throat and waving your other arm in the air, you decide it's actually kind of fun. You get your pocketknife and grab its throat - yanking it up for the kill...

12 - ...and you penetrate its throat, though not very deep. You suppose it's because your only weapon is a pocketknife. The bird flaps its wings and you fly off onto the ground. Looking up, you decide that the bird is definitely a male.

Back into the trees! I resume my hunt for comestibles in the high branches above, where no evil-cute lizards shall harm me. - 18

Waiting for a moment to take advantage of the bird's wound, you climb into a tree and find three large, round, hairy and brown objects. You have no idea what they could be used for.

You gleefully declare, "I am SO loving this planet!"

Jump on the bird (if it's not alive then on anything else) and grab it by the neck in a sort of grab from behind and drive my knife through its skull and body, then grab its wings, place my foot on its back and give the mightiest pull I can muster. [Strength] - 14

Seeing Zerovirus's success in exploiting the creature's blind spot, you run behind the recovering bird and jump on it, once again aggravating it to the point of thrashing. Before you can get knocked off, you whip out your serrated knife...

[9] - ...and manage to stab it in the back. However, your serrated knife couldn't penetrate through the scales very well, and it didn't penetrate very deeply. It's skull and beak are so thin that you can't drive the knife through it. Yanking your knife out again, you attempt to grab its wildly flailing wings...

6 - but can't get a hold on them without jeopardizing your safety. "Screw this bird!" you yell, and you decide to just go for one wing. You dive for it, and your legs begin to slip off the creature's back. In one last effort, you dive for the wing...

10 - ...and you just manage to get a grip on it. Kicking your legs up, you throw them over the bird's neck to stabilize them on its back. Pushing as hard as you can with the strength you can muster...

5 + 4 = [9] - ...you hear an odd squawk from the bird. It flaps its wing awkwardly, and you suppose you pulled it out of joint or something like that.

Talkal:

Ready the axe, and if an enemy gets near crush his head. - 18

Watching Flamelasher's bout with the green animals, you notice that several of the creatures give up trying to subdue the maniac of a man and turn to the villagers. Readying your axe, you rush out to meet the half-dozen beasts. Before they can react, you smash one of the creature's heads, and backhand another with the head of your axe, sending it flying into the clearing. The others flank you...

13 - ...but you step back before they leap, and they miss you to run into each other. You grab one and fling it by the tail into the forest, and another you crush with your axe while holding it down with your feet. While you're busy with this, the remaining duo gains a grip on your torso...

11 - ...but you shake them off and they run to find a new, less vicious victim.

Lacking any other equipment beyond my crudely sharpened spear and having only basic skills, I resort to the only means of defense I have. Seeing that the others are engaging the bird, I turn towards the Small Creatures of Indeterminant Number and face off.

Since my targets are small (and presumably elusive) I will resort to gripping my spear by the blunt end and swinging the crude point at them, hoping to land a solid blow to shatter fragile bones or maybe causing grievous wounds with the point. When if an opportunity presents itself I will stab one with a fast jab [Light Weapons].
- [10 - 3 = 7]

Seeing your spear do but little damage to the large bird and fearing to lose it, you turn to the Green creatures. You deem their number to be about 10, and decide that's not too bad. Charging towards them while Flamelasher runs the other way, you realize that they're a bigger force than you reckoned - about 20. You grab Flamelasher by the arm and pull him back. He shakingly pulls out his stilleto again.

You can tell the creatures are trying different tactics, almost like humans would. This time, they sprint towards you on their tiny legs, and when they get close enough to you for you to jab out your spear, you hit thin air. The Chompies all ran around or between your legs. You turn around swiftly, but not swiftly enough for them to climb up your back, pushing you down with their weight...

7 - ...you feel claws piercing your back, and you scream in pain. The noise, however, startles some of the animals, and you take the advantage to jump up and land on your back, unfortunately onto Flamelasher. He groans under the added weight, but the sandwhich of dinosaurs you created forces them to flee. As they try to escape, you jab your weapon at them, catching a few with the sharp tip. However, as you do so you catch Flamelasher also, and he yelps in indignation. The two of you scramble up and prepare to fend off another wave...

Character Status:

Game Events: FIGHT:
17 'Chompies', 6 of them crippled
1 Large Bird-like Creature, with a light neck wound and moderate back wound. Right Wing is pierced, and the Left is pulled out of joint.

It is nightfall. In this forest, the trees block out the starlight, partially obscuring your view.

Points of Interest:
•You are being attacted by a horde of fierce animals - attracted to Flamelasher's skin.
mnewton1
mnewton1
Archivist
Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Roll #20

You laugh maniacally, clenching your knife with a morbid gleam in your eyes. "Let's see you wrestle me when you ain't got a throat! AHAHAHAHA!"

> Wrestle the birds neck and flip it over, begin carving out its throat and belly. - [3 + 2 = 5]

You bolt towards the stunned bird, in order to ram it and continue your rampage. However, the creature regains a modicum of control and swiftly rotates around to face you. It gives you an 'uppercut' to the jaw with its dislocated wing, and you fall to the ground. Making a strange gurgling sound, it hobbles towards you on its thin legs...

2 - ...and walks directly over you. Quickly, you stab upwards with your knife, attempting to slice its chest before it can lash out at you. However, before you reach your target, the creature swiftly bends down and closes down on your arm with its beak. Its razor-sharp teeth make multiple perforations in your skin - your arm bleeding abundantly. You drop your knife and cry out for help, and Zerovirus hears your call. You stay still and try to keep the bird's attention directed towards yourself so that it will not sense Zerovirus...

13 - and you succeed at keeping its full attention, flailing your good arm about madly.

Zerovirus:

Can't grapple- it could easily take off with ANY of us. Stay away from the arms, get behind it- does it have a tail or is the butt like a fan of feathers or membranes? In any case, I try to get on the wing and slash the membranes open, so that its flight capability is incapacitated. Then I crawl up its back and stab it in the eye. - 11

Seeing Derek's plight but being powerless to help him from your tree, you climb down and position yourself behind the massive creature. As it looms over Derek, you dive at the creature, managing to get enough momentum to get a grip on its back, and stab your pocketknife into its right wing to get some leverage.

14 - The knife sticks, having pierced a location not guarded by the thin supporting bones or tendons. The bird, surprised and displeased, turns around to face you. With a firm grip on your knife, you stay firmly seated on the bird's back and continue to carve into the membranes making up the wing's structural systems...

4 - However, the edge of your knife is not strong enough to cut directly through the membrane; you suppose you'll have to use the tip again. Pulling the knife out of the wing, you prepare to begin stabbing the wing. The creature continues to turn around to reach your position on its back, and you trip again off the bird, hanging on the underside of its wing for dear life. As you grip the sides of its wing, the bird tips over due to your added substantial weight...

2 - ...and falls on top of you, pinning your arms to the ground and leaving you powerless to attempt your desperate gambit. "At least Derek was able to get out..." you think. Not hoping in the least to escape, you try to lift up and discover that the weight holding you down is not substantial at all. "The thing must only weigh about 80 pounds!" you think. You try to lift the weight off of you...

4 - ...but as soon as you get a foot off the ground, its beak - oddly positioned from the fall - is in a position to reach you and clips you on the chin. You decide to stay down after that.

Flamelasher: Get a killing spree - [20 - 4 = 16]
Talkal: Kill the animals! - 18
Rulyon (Conoree Firewolf): Go on the offensive, attacking the Chompies aggressively, hoping to kill or drive them off. [Light Weapons] - 9

The three of you form a rough triangle as about a dozen of the Chompies regroup. You're all thinking murderous thoughts of killing the Chompies, excepting Conoree, who'd rather not be so violent and instead just try to survive.

Instead of surrounding you, like you three expected, the Chompies sprint towards you in a single solid line. Flamelasher and Talkal rise to the challenge, axe and stiletto blending in a distorted... tango? Each time the Chompies attempted to recover and swarm one of you alone, they were repelled by these two weapons.

Flamelasher holds the handle of his stiletto loosely, using his hunting techniques to quickly dispatch the small creatures while fluidly mixing this with his combat skills. His arms are visibly bothering him, and the only reason they aren't bleeding more is that he is so accurate with his stiletto that he only needs to strike once, removing the added strain on his arms of multiple stabs.

Talkal wields his crude axe like a hammer, snapping necks and cracking tiny skulls left and right.

Conoree, rather left out in these proceedings, decided to take care of the ones who slipped past the two and drive off the crippled ones.

You see the half-dozen helpless creatures huddled together, and yel at them, brandishing your spear. They limp away into the forest, squealing in primal tones. You smugly turn back to the group, when you hear a twig snap behind you...

19 - ...and just in time, too. Two Chompies that had escaped from Flamelasher and Talkal spring at your face in an obvious failed ambush. For a split second, you think of how oddly intelligent these creatures are, and dodge out of the way for the duo to harmlessly fall in the grass. Before they spin around to inflict any more pain, you jab one of the Chompies in... where you think is the heart, killing him. The other...

13 - Bites your hand, but alone he poses little threat, and you pry him loose, throwing him into the forest to join his crippled green friends.

Checking on Zerovirus, Radgar, the villagers, and Derek, you slowly walk back to the main group, trying hard to see with the limited light. Coming about five feet from Radgar and twenty from the others, you see that the fight isn't going as well as you thought. Derek is lying on the ground, while Zerovirus is pinned down by a furious bird. Radgar is trying to keep the villagers calm, but he hasn't gotten into any of the fighting. Desperate, you plead to Radgar, privately annoyed that he's 'hiding' with the villagers. "I can't see! Ragnar, you said you have magic, is there anything you can do to help? Destroy them or make some light, anything?"

Radgar starts to nervously fret. It's so unlike him, you can hardly refrain from laughing. "I - I only took a class or two on combat magic. I minored in Elemental Magic, but majored in Telepathic Magic, and neither seem to have an application here." You yell at him. "JUST DO SOMETHING!"

Radgar, realizing his plight, begins to stop shaking and begins to concentrate. He closes his eyes. When he opens them, they faintly glow with a bright, clear light. Staring at the bird, he... just stands there for a moment. About to open your mouth again, you stop and stare as the bird slowly lifts off the ground, still flailing madly. Zerovirus takes the opportunity to grab Derek's knife, put it in Derek's pack, and carry Derek out of there.

Radgar slumps over, visibly fatigued from his effort. You suppose you won't badger him any more about making a light source for now.

The "Chompies" are gone, leaving only a visible defeated bird in their place. You suppose it won't give you much trouble anymore, but aren't so sure after the most recent bout with it. What will you do with it?

Character Statuses:
Spoiler:

The "Chompies" have ran away, leaving a practically crippled bird lying on the ground. It has a small slash mark in its neck, a minorly slashed right wing, and a dislocated left wing.

It is nightfall. In this forest, the trees block out the starlight, partially obscuring your view.

Points of Interest:
•Flamelasher's bloody skin could attack more creatures.
•The bird looks ready to lay down and die - what will you do with it?
•Radgar showed you yet another impressive display of magic. You suppose on the verge of death in an alien planet that he may deem yet to teach you if you can find the time and a safe location... And what will you ask considering the types of Magic he mentioned?

Last edited by bigkahuna on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Roll #21

Flamelasher:

Remember the kills and skinning I aqquired with my Stilleto (henceforth refered to as Bob), and try to turn the memories into a skill known as Stilleto Mastery that allows me to perform better with Bob and any other Stilleto I come across.

Wiping your stiletto off, you ruminate on all the fighting you've been doing lately. You've been starting become better acquainted with your stiletto (which you decide to name 'Bob') than you have most people. Fondly looking at it, you decide that from now on you will focus on mastering the intricacies of the stilleto and weapons like it.

New Skill Created: Knife Mastery!

This skill works by increasing your natural ability in using weapons such as knives, daggers, and stilettos.

Zerovirus:

You talk to Conoree about keeping the bird."Well, there's not much we can gain from it if we kill it- maybe a beak helmet or a few claws and teeth at the best. But if we keep it, we can nurture it and convert it to a helpful flying beast. Since there's no easy access to the bunker, having an aerial beast of burden will allow us to clear a path more easily and give us the chance to ferry passengers, possibly even at a profit until the path is made.

Also, we get awesome pterosaur pet. How cool is that?"

Conoree shrugs. "Okay."

Wow, that was easy.

I splint the bird's broken wing while not reattaching it. I attempt to bandage any place that it is bleeding from, maybe with big broad leaves or strips of whatever it is I'm wearing, and restrain it if possible. Anyone got some rope we could use? Any vines around that look like they'd work?

I find a rock and try to crack open one of the hairy brown things. Maybe it's a fruit or something? Or an egg?

But if the bird dies, I call dibs on the head. It'd make a cool trophy or whatever.

You carefully try to approach the bird and not provoke it, but it isn't looking very promising. You call out to Radgar. "Can you do some of your voodoo stuff and lift the bird for me?" He grimaces and sits down. You think you hear him mutter to himself.

"It's not voodoo..." He gets into his creepy magic-mode and immobilizes the bird for you, and you look for some vines or something that might be useful in binding its wounds.

Search Check - SUCCESS

Talkal mentions some vines he found, and you get some for yourself. Walking over to the main group, you ask some of the villagers and such for some bandages...

12 - Awed by your posse's recent display of combat prowess, they quickly hand you squares of cloth and whatnot, but no one has real bandages. Apparently the gods above decided you wouldn't need any when they dropped you on this worthless planet.

Walking over to the imperceptibly floating bird, you hope Radgar's magic doesn't have a time limit or anything while you proceed to check its injuries...

17 - The bird glares at you but can't move in its current state. You compress its wing against its body, feeling a tingle as you enter the magical field around it, and bind the wing with some of the vines, putting a patch on the knife wounds you and Derek inflicted. "Sorry, boy," you say, hoping to placate it. It glares at you some more. You tie a similar impromptu bandage around its back wound. You decide the neck wound is too light to need treatment, and besides - it might choke the bird.

You pick up a giant rock and pull out the brown objects you found in the tree. Time to find out what's inside...

5 - You heft the rock above your head and smash the object. It immediately implodes, spilling the contents and obliterating the outside shell. Wait - spilling? On closer examination it appears that a white liquid was inside the center of the object. You're not sure if it's good to drink, though. You feel the same way about the white, fleshy substance lining the center of the object.

Shadowkiller:

> Grab my serrated knife and cut parts of my shirt, use said parts to wrap around my arm and stop the bleeding. - [5 - 3 = 2]

You get your knife and cut off parts of your shirt to stanch the bleeding. Wrapping it around your arm, you quickly see that there was more blood than you thought. It quickly soaks through the wrappings, and since your shirt is made of a thin material, it begins to seep through, leaving it incapable of stemming the steady flow of blood. You curse and wonder if you should ask for assistance.

Rulyon:

"Well, that could have gone better, but it could have definately also gone much worse. How is everyone?"

Derek grumbles, and tries to wave you away but flinches.

Look for sticks, branches, stones, and so forth with which to build a fire pit. Light a fire.

You search for some tinder or other flammable objects, for obvious reasons. A fire, you reason, will probably scare small predators away, as well as giving you some light. Or then again it could attract predators.

Search Check - SUCCESS

You build a circular structure with stones and fill the center with a few large branches as well as some smaller twigs for tinder. You have no ideas about what you should use to light the fire, but take a stab at it anyway...

20 - Picking up a stick, you peel it in half to reveal the lighter colored wood inside of it. Grabbing a sturdy twig, you begin to twist it between your hands, with the center digging into the inner part of the peeled twig. It takes you a while, but eventually you have a beautiful fire warming you. You call everyone else over to share your warmth, and they gladly join you. Radgar heavily sits down, looking tired. You give a sharp glance to the bird, but it makes no signs of escaping.

You see Derek's obvious discomfort. "Hey Derek - that wound looks pretty nasty. Do you mind if I take a look at it?"

He nods, grateful for your discreet offer to help.

Use the fire to heat a rock. Tear a strip off the bottom of my shirt an use it to insulate my hand. Use the hot rock to cauterize shadow_killer's's wound and then wrap the torn strip of my shirt around his wound for a bandage. Pay no mind to the fact that I exposed my midrift to attend to someone. [Wound Treatment] - 11

You decide to cauterize Derek's wound, but then decide you might as well take a look at its extent, first. You glance at Derek's wound, and sigh in relief as you realize it does not have an infection and won't need to be cauterized. You weren't sure how the procedure would work out, anyway. You create a makeshift bandage our of your shirt, ignoring the awkward glances you and your torso get. Radgar clears his throat.

"Now now, everyone. I think there's been enough peeling of shirts."

Smiling, you prepare to treat Derek's wound...

15 - ...and your bandage holds. It looks like his preliminary treatment soaked up most of the initial blood, enough for you to stack it on top of his to stem the flow. He sighs in relief.

With that dealt with, you turn to Flamelasher. "Hey, do you think you could clean that cape before it attracts some more scavengers? I think we can I'll afford another night like this one has gone so far, and you smell like a mile of dead duck's ass."

He seems rather perturbed by your blunt comment and quickly turns away.

Talkal:

Craft torches. [Tool Use]

You decide to make a few torches to take advantage of the fire already prepared. You don't have any tools, but you suppose you can make do with what you have. You ask Derek for his knife, and he regretfully loans it to you. Looking around for some suitable branches...

Search Roll - SUCCESS

...you find four of them. That should be enough.

(Using Knife instead of Tool = -3 Penalty)

Torch Requirement - 10
Talkal Roll - [(1+5)-3=3], [(14+1)-3=12], [(4+4)-3=5], [(12+3)-3=12]

You start carving out some torches, but without your tools... it's tough. You make one of them too small to ever burn correctly, and the other one is too misshapen to use. A couple of them will do, however. As you carve you question Radgar.

MAGIC DISCUSSION: CASTING SPELLS IN GENERAL AND ELEMENTAL MAGIC

"Radgar how does this... this 'elemental magic' work? It sounds interesting."
At this Conoree also butts in. "I'm actually interested in hearing more about telepathic magic, too."

Radgar leans back on the log where he is sitting and lets out a luxurious sigh. Then he falls backwards off the log. Sputtering, he regains a bit of his composure while you all grin. He straightens his imaginary tie and begins speaking.

"Well, if you must know... Basically, elemental magic is simply altering the elements as they currently exist. Of course, I mean the most fundamental elements - fire, water, air, earth, and energy. Each has a certain amount of innate energy, meaning you won't expend as much power trying to manipulate them."

Zerovirus chimes in at this. "What - you use up your energy while using magic?"

Radgar responds, "Well of course. It takes energy to do anything, even the most simplest of tasks. Including this, one must obey the laws of entropy and such." At your blank stares, he sighs.

"When manipulating magic, one cannot disobey the laws of nature or of the universe. One such group of laws are the laws of entropy. It entails that one cannot make order without increasing disorder, or increasing the energy of the surroundings. In a physical task, the energy naturally leaves your body while completing what needs to be done. However, during a magical task, the energy is siphoned from your body to fill the need left by the task you accomplished, depending on the magnamity and complexity of the task. This is why it is vital to ensure that you know your limits in magic.

We use Elemental Magic because the elements in question, in their natural form, are ripe for manipulation, since they are already in useful forms that can be readily used. This means one must only learn how to manipulate the one element that corresponds for each task, and less energy is needed to change the element in question to the form you want.

However, each element is so fundamentally different from each other that they must be learned individually. Each influence the laws of the universe and alter with manipulation in many different ways, and these ways must be studied to make sure that a spell doesn't fail, or worse - backfire.

When a spell is cast, no matter what happens it must go through. Once the energy and the intent are released there is no going back. If you know your limitations and the specifics of the element you are altering, as well as the effect on entropy and other such boundaries, you will do fine. However, misplaced a spell can have dangerous consequences. When the natural laws are violated, there is a backlash of energy created from the spell; if it is not re-directed in time, it converges on the source of the magic and can cause much harm. Including this, a spell could siphon all of your energy - killing you. This is why each School and Branch of magic must be learned separately and with much care.

I plan to teach each of you some magic, if you are willing and understand the implications of what it entails."

At this you begin to brighten, but your spirits fall again during his next words.

"Now the only reason I plan to do this is that..." his voice lowers so that listening ears cannot hear him. "...is that I fear to get off this planet alive at this rate. Orientation was supposed to consist of a tramp to the bunkers, introducing the geography of the planet, retrieving necessary tools and supplies, and building the colony for a year or so. Obviously, things have changed. No one can possibly live here."

Derek looks thoughtful. "Those natives managed to survive."

Radgar shakes his head. "Yes, but I doubt they'll welcome us with open arms and teach us all of their survival techniques. As far as I know, we're on our own."

Zerovirus speaks up again. "You never talked to us about Telepathic Magic..."

Radgar smiles, for once. "So full of questions... Telepathic Magic is a much more specific branch, focusing on manipulating brain waves and such to complete tasks. It's also full of grave dangers, and is near impossible to learn with the limited magical potential you now possess. No - the areas open to you at this time would probably be Elemental Magic or Wave Magic - not brain waves, but waves of light and of sound."

Character Statuses:
Spoiler:

Points of Interest:
•Talkal has some torches made, and there is a ready-to-go campfire right in front of you. Lightsource, anyone?
•Flamelasher's bloody skin could atract more creatures.
•The bird looks slightly less vicious now that it has had some 'medical treatment'.
•If you could get to the bunkers, Radgar promised he'd teach you some Wave or Elemental Magic.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Roll #22

Zerovirus:

I carefully pry another of the round things open with my knife, and take a sip of the liquid; if, as I expect, it is sweet and consumable, I try to feed the remaining liquid as well as the white flesh to the bird. If the bird is purely carnivorous, I will drink the coconut milk myself and chew on the white fleshy stuff. After that, I feed the bird the dead Chompies' bodies. It can definitely eat meat, and I intend on placating it with food. - 16

Carefully jamming your knife into the object, you gradually pry it open with your knife to reveal the contents inside. Warily sipping the liquid, you decide it tastes rather nice, if it isn't completely to your liking. You take it over to the bird.... YOUR bird?

17 - But it declines it. You shrug and consume the rest. The fleshy insides are also rather passable, you muse. Holding onto one of the mutilated Chompies by the tail, you toss it to the bird, and it tears it apart ravenously. "Too bad it isn't a herbivore..." you think, although you doubted it from the start.

I construct a framework for the now immobilized avian, out of sturdy branches, the remaining cloth, and more vine, tying the bird to the entire stretcher. Then I try and recruit a villager to help me carry the bird, or if that fails I make the stretcher a bit longer than it has to be so the bird doesn't scrape along the ground and drag it along. - 14

Well, looking at your pitiful pile of supplies, you realize that there won't be enough cloth to make a hospital worthy stretcher for your injured bird. Instead, you get two sturdy branches and lash them together with some smaller branches, using the leftover vines and cloth as a cushion. You walk over to the villagers.

"Hey - would one of you mind helping me carry this bird?" you ask. They take one look at the bird and shake their heads. Ah, well. It was worth a shot. You try luring the bird over to the stretcher with pieces of meat...

7 - ...and it's agreeable enough, following the trail you lay directly onto the stretcher. However, you didn't account for its slender feet and the size of its wings. Its legs go straight through the stretcher you made, and you sigh in frustration. The bird, however...

19 - ...untangles itself and hops up again, looking rather peeved at the stretcher. You slap yourself and realize it probably never needed one in the first place. "Well, it looks friendly enough..." you think to yourself. You slowly walk up to the bird, and it doesn't try to eat your face off again. It looks healthy enough - perhaps it will be able to follow you until it can fly.

I ask Talkal for a torch and light it on the fire.

"Hey, good idea with the torches, Talkal."

"Thanks."

"... Can I have one?"

"Oh yeah, sure." Talkal hands you a torch, and you light it. His craftmanship was true, and the torch burns brightly, creating a flickering halo of light around you.

After hearing Radgar's instruction on magic, you decide to put it into action. "Let's give it a try..."

Pick up a small pebble and hold it on my palm, look at the nearest tree (without anyone between me and it) and imagine the rock flying into that tree. Try not to imagine the tree explode instead. - 5

You pick up a pebble off the ground and glare at it, willing to fly into the tree on your left. Nothing happens. Next, you try looking back and forth between both targets, willing the stone to move. Nothing. Finally, you mutter at the stone with all the fierceness you can muster: "Stenr, rïsa!" "Stone, MOVE!"

It might have twitched, but you'll never know. You doubt you'll get anywhere without actual instruction from Radgar. The way he put it, magic was more complex than you would have ever guessed.

You grin at the others, gesturing at the corpses lying all around you. "Anyone up for a barbecue?"

Gather some Chompie corpses, cut the meat up, impale it on some sticks, and roast it over the fire. - 13

You delicately grasp a couple of the Chompies by the legs, carrying them over to a bare patch of earth by the fire. Holding your spear like a utensil, you proceed to carve out the intestines, burying the entrails far enough out of the way of scavengers. Next, you carve off some of the meat and put it on a stick. It's crude, but it will do. You're starving anyway. Holding it over the fire...

4 - ... you pull it away to find it a burned mess. Ah well. You peel off the burned outer crust to find the inside, at least, partially edible. You gesture to the others to share with you, feeling a slight - only slight - pang of guilt for not including the villagers in your impromptu meal. Well, they didn't do anything during the fight.

Talkal:

Try to lit torches and give them to somebody. - 12

You acknowledge Zerovirus's gratitude, and then light a torch, careful not to ruin your precious creation, and hand it to Flamelasher. Suddenly you smell the most wonderful odor.

"Is that sausage?!? ...No? Well I want some of whatever it is."

Flamelasher:

Ask to learn FIRE MAGIC.

Listening to Radgar, you imagine the thousands of things you could do with magic. "Hey Talkal - could I have a torch?" He wordlessly hands one to you. Seeing the flames dance before your eyes gives you a primal thrill. If you could control such limitless power... You get up from your seat on the ground and look down at Radgar, still on his log.

"Radgar- I want to learn FIRE MAGIC!!!!1"

Derek chuckles. "Try to not burn my face, as you would NOT like what will happen to your balls."

You ignore him and stare intently at Radgar.

Radgar laughs. "Calm down... all in due time. I'd imagine it would be rather dangerous to manipulate fire this close to all these people... next to a forest... riddled with massive predators.... Perhaps wait until we could get to a safer location?"

You five sit around the fire, roasting marshmallows sausages pieces of 'Chompy' over the fire, greatly enjoying yourself. The villagers glare hungrily at you, and you suppose that if you don't want a mass mutiny you need to find a larger supply of food - and fast.

Zerovirus notices it, and thinks for a second. "I think we should head in the direction of the bunkers. What do you guys think?"

Talkal shrugs "Well, we don't really have a choice... I say we head out. There should only be a mile or two left to go." Everyone else seems to agree, more or less.

You set out on the last leg of the journey. Zerovirus is delighted to find that the bird has followed them from a safe distance, hobbling along on its thin legs.

About an hour later, accounting for the slowness of some of the... less athletic villagers... you come in sight of the bunkers, seeing by the light of your torches. They don't look like much - small metal structures sticking up out of the ground.

As if sensing your thoughts, Radgar says, "Oh, don't worry. It's a lot bigger than it seems. Most of the bunker is underground."

Walking up to the latch that Radgar points out to be the entrance, Talkal attempts to open it. Not having much luck, he knocks out of habit. He wasn't surprised when nothing happened, but was rather embarrassed. What did suprise him was the fact that someone answered.

A lazy voice called out in a foreign tongue. The six of you, Radgar included, stood shellshocked until Radgar hastily replied in the same language, coming up with a quick response. Unfortunately, whatever he said did not work, as the man inside opened a slat on the door and gasped in surprise, shutting it quickly. What do you do?

Character Statuses:
Spoiler:

Points of Interest:
•Talkal has some torches made, and there is a ready-to-go campfire right in front of you. Lightsource, anyone?
•The bird looks slightly less vicious now that it has had some 'medical treatment'.
•If you could get to the bunkers, Radgar promised he'd teach you some Wave or Elemental Magic.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Roll #23

Zerovirus:

I carefully pry another of the round things open with my knife, and take a sip of the liquid; if, as I expect, it is sweet and consumable, I try to feed the remaining liquid as well as the white flesh to the bird. If the bird is purely carnivorous, I will drink the coconut milk myself and chew on the white fleshy stuff. After that, I feed the bird the dead Chompies' bodies. It can definitely eat meat, and I intend on placating it with food. - 16

Carefully jamming your knife into the object, you gradually pry it open with your knife to reveal the contents inside. Warily sipping the liquid, you decide it tastes rather nice, if it isn't completely to your liking. You take it over to the bird.... YOUR bird?

17 - But it declines it. You shrug and consume the rest. The fleshy insides are also rather passable, you muse. Holding onto one of the mutilated Chompies by the tail, you toss it to the bird, and it tears it apart ravenously. "Too bad it isn't a herbivore..." you think, although you doubted it from the start.

I construct a framework for the now immobilized avian, out of sturdy branches, the remaining cloth, and more vine, tying the bird to the entire stretcher. Then I try and recruit a villager to help me carry the bird, or if that fails I make the stretcher a bit longer than it has to be so the bird doesn't scrape along the ground and drag it along. - 14

Well, looking at your pitiful pile of supplies, you realize that there won't be enough cloth to make a hospital worthy stretcher for your injured bird. Instead, you get two sturdy branches and lash them together with some smaller branches, using the leftover vines and cloth as a cushion. You walk over to the villagers.

"Hey - would one of you mind helping me carry this bird?" you ask. They take one look at the bird and shake their heads. Ah, well. It was worth a shot. You try luring the bird over to the stretcher with pieces of meat...

7 - ...and it's agreeable enough, following the trail you lay directly onto the stretcher. However, you didn't account for its slender feet and the size of its wings. Its legs go straight through the stretcher you made, and you sigh in frustration. The bird, however...

19 - ...untangles itself and hops up again, looking rather peeved at the stretcher. You slap yourself and realize it probably never needed one in the first place. "Well, it looks friendly enough..." you think to yourself. You slowly walk up to the bird, and it doesn't try to eat your face off again. It looks healthy enough - perhaps it will be able to follow you until it can fly.

I ask Talkal for a torch and light it on the fire.

"Hey, good idea with the torches, Talkal."

"Thanks."

"... Can I have one?"

"Oh yeah, sure." Talkal hands you a torch, and you light it. His craftmanship was true, and the torch burns brightly, creating a flickering halo of light around you.

After hearing Radgar's instruction on magic, you decide to put it into action. "Let's give it a try..."

Pick up a small pebble and hold it on my palm, look at the nearest tree (without anyone between me and it) and imagine the rock flying into that tree. Try not to imagine the tree explode instead. - 5

You pick up a pebble off the ground and glare at it, willing to fly into the tree on your left. Nothing happens. Next, you try looking back and forth between both targets, willing the stone to move. Nothing. Finally, you mutter at the stone with all the fierceness you can muster: "Stenr, rïsa!" "Stone, MOVE!"

It might have twitched, but you'll never know. You doubt you'll get anywhere without actual instruction from Radgar. The way he put it, magic was more complex than you would have ever guessed.

You grin at the others, gesturing at the corpses lying all around you. "Anyone up for a barbecue?"

Gather some Chompie corpses, cut the meat up, impale it on some sticks, and roast it over the fire. - 13

You delicately grasp a couple of the Chompies by the legs, carrying them over to a bare patch of earth by the fire. Holding your spear like a utensil, you proceed to carve out the intestines, burying the entrails far enough out of the way of scavengers. Next, you carve off some of the meat and put it on a stick. It's crude, but it will do. You're starving anyway. Holding it over the fire...

4 - ... you pull it away to find it a burned mess. Ah well. You peel off the burned outer crust to find the inside, at least, partially edible. You gesture to the others to share with you, feeling a slight - only slight - pang of guilt for not including the villagers in your impromptu meal. Well, they didn't do anything during the fight.

Talkal:

Try to lit torches and give them to somebody. - 12

You acknowledge Zerovirus's gratitude, and then light a torch, careful not to ruin your precious creation, and hand it to Flamelasher. Suddenly you smell the most wonderful odor.

"Is that sausage?!? ...No? Well I want some of whatever it is."

Flamelasher:

Ask to learn FIRE MAGIC.

Listening to Radgar, you imagine the thousands of things you could do with magic. "Hey Talkal - could I have a torch?" He wordlessly hands one to you. Seeing the flames dance before your eyes gives you a primal thrill. If you could control such limitless power... You get up from your seat on the ground and look down at Radgar, still on his log.

"Radgar- I want to learn FIRE MAGIC!!!!1"

Derek chuckles. "Try to not burn my face, as you would NOT like what will happen to your balls."

You ignore him and stare intently at Radgar.

Radgar laughs. "Calm down... all in due time. I'd imagine it would be rather dangerous to manipulate fire this close to all these people... next to a forest... riddled with massive predators.... Perhaps wait until we could get to a safer location?"

You five sit around the fire, roasting marshmallows sausages pieces of 'Chompy' over the fire, greatly enjoying yourself. The villagers glare hungrily at you, and you suppose that if you don't want a mass mutiny you need to find a larger supply of food - and fast.

Zerovirus notices it, and thinks for a second. "I think we should head in the direction of the bunkers. What do you guys think?"

Talkal shrugs "Well, we don't really have a choice... I say we head out. There should only be a mile or two left to go." Everyone else seems to agree, more or less.

You set out on the last leg of the journey. Zerovirus is delighted to find that the bird has followed them from a safe distance, hobbling along on its thin legs.

About an hour later, accounting for the slowness of some of the... less athletic villagers... you come in sight of the bunkers, seeing by the light of your torches. They don't look like much - small metal structures sticking up out of the ground.

As if sensing your thoughts, Radgar says, "Oh, don't worry. It's a lot bigger than it seems. Most of the bunker is underground."

Walking up to the latch that Radgar points out to be the entrance, Talkal attempts to open it. Not having much luck, he knocks out of habit. He wasn't surprised when nothing happened, but was rather embarrassed. What did suprise him was the fact that someone answered.

A lazy voice called out in a foreign tongue. The six of you, Radgar included, stood shellshocked until Radgar hastily replied in the same language, coming up with a quick response. Unfortunately, whatever he said did not work, as the man inside opened a slat on the door and gasped in surprise, shutting it quickly. What do you do?

Character Statuses:
Spoiler:

Game Events:
It is nightfall. You are near the Bunkers - a group of four small, metal buildings inside a valley surrounded by trees.

Points of Interest:
•Zerovirus's bird has remained with the group and is at the top of the valley.
•If you could get to the bunkers in safety, Radgar promised he'd teach you some Wave or Elemental Magic.
•It appears that someone else has occupied the bunkers...
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next