Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea

4 posters

Go down

League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea Empty League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea

Post  King_Pikmin Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:02 am

Hey everyone, it's me King_Pikmin once again! I have been away for a while, but I have finally returned! I bring back with me a realization and game idea. Firstly, I realized the forums seemed to be lacking 2 main things: player versus player action, and games that truly has a ending, but can be played again without having to create a whole new storyline and such. I also realized a game called League of Legends combines both of these things, and would make a great R2D (Not to mention some strategy and such as well). I present to you, League of Rolling; a new R2D based on League of Legends.

[Game Ideas]
I am stuck with a difficult decision that I would very much like suggestions on which path to go. The first path is freeform. This very much promotes creativity in-game, but may cause issues of balance because of PvP, and people thinking the R2D is one-sided. The second option is to make it slightly more concrete, which may stifle creativity a bit, but balance issues are severely cut down.

Actions would be PMed to me, rather than posted, so that the enemy cannot base their actions on what the other team did. The roll would be displayed publicly, so everyone is aware of what has just happened.

Regardless of whether the game is freeform or concrete, the concept is the same. Each team controls a base, several turrets, and minions that spawn every turn or two. You gain experience and gold from slaying minions or enemies. Experience lets you level up which increases your overall strength. Gold lets you buy items from the shop that do individual things, varying from increasing certain rolls to giving unique abilities. The general goal is to destroy the turrets, which leads up to you destroying their base, aka victory.

**I will edit this part and add much more details once I determine what style to approach this in**

[Why you want to be a GM]
I enjoy GMing R2D games very much so (I've done it before many times with my friends), and I want to bring PvP to the forums.

[What style will your game be? (Fantasy, Scifi, Historical, etc.)]
Fantasy

[How often do you get on]
I am homeschooled and can therefore hop on the forums for however much time is needed, any time in the day.
King_Pikmin
King_Pikmin
Experienced Player
Experienced Player

Back to top Go down

League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea Empty Re: League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:36 am

We've already gone over this, and there are always flaws to be addressed about R2D PvP...

Meta-gaming. Sure, PMing the actions would solve some of the problem, but if the player wants to set up something that takes up multiple rolls (breaking into a base, crafting a secret weapon, and the like), everyone would see their preparations. It'd be a hassle to half two separate rolls and PM them to their respective players.

Absent Players. One missing person would completely alter the balance of the game.

Death? ...would occur frequently, as it should in PvP, and either it would mess up the balance of a game that would be supposed to last for a long time (it's R2D... not very fast-paced). We don't have enough players to fill in spots either.

I've always liked the idea, but I don't see how this can be rehashed multiple times without being repetitive, and I can't see it being implemented without a great deal of time and trouble on the GM's part. Rolls would take [i]forever[i].
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea Empty Re: League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea

Post  Rulyon Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:13 am

I think if he's willing to put forth the time and effort (which he apparantly IS, since he proposed the game), then that shouldn't be a reason to not (at least) give it a try. The worst that could happen is... the game fails. We've had numerous... failed games already, and the forums are still alive. This stands to add something unique to the games available here. Maybe it won't be a bad idea to give it a chance.
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Pikmin Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 am

bigkahuna wrote:We've already gone over this, and there are always flaws to be addressed about R2D PvP...

Meta-gaming. Sure, PMing the actions would solve some of the problem, but if the player wants to set up something that takes up multiple rolls (breaking into a base, crafting a secret weapon, and the like), everyone would see their preparations. It'd be a hassle to half two separate rolls and PM them to their respective players.

Absent Players. One missing person would completely alter the balance of the game.

Death? ...would occur frequently, as it should in PvP, and either it would mess up the balance of a game that would be supposed to last for a long time (it's R2D... not very fast-paced). We don't have enough players to fill in spots either.

I've always liked the idea, but I don't see how this can be rehashed multiple times without being repetitive, and I can't see it being implemented without a great deal of time and trouble on the GM's part. Rolls would take [i]forever[i].

What do you mean by "It'd be a hassle to half two separate rolls and PM them to their respective players."? The rolls are displayed publicly, not PMed.

Also, thanks for reminding me, a few more things I forgot to mention.
1. I am going to NPC (Decide on their actions for them) them for the time being.
2. A player death would only have them out of the game next roll, and then they respawn. Deaths also give the enemy team bonus gold and exp.
3. This isn't really a GM application right now. I mainly need help on deciding on whether to make this more freeform or concrete. Then once I figure it out, I'll edit my post and people can start supporting the idea.
King_Pikmin
King_Pikmin
Experienced Player
Experienced Player

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:55 pm

NPCing actions? How would that be a game if you would play it for them? I'm probably misunderstanding, but it sounds kind of strange Wink
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Pikmin Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:06 pm

bigkahuna wrote:NPCing actions? How would that be a game if you would play it for them? I'm probably misunderstanding, but it sounds kind of strange Wink
Agh, I keep missing out details in my posts. I meant to say if they are not posting their actions on time, I will NPC them. And do you have any thoughts on the freeform vs conrete issue?
King_Pikmin
King_Pikmin
Experienced Player
Experienced Player

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Can you give me an example of the differences between freeform and concrete? I haven't really grasped the issue.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Pikmin Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:29 pm

bigkahuna wrote:Can you give me an example of the differences between freeform and concrete? I haven't really grasped the issue.
In freeform I plan to have certain random events and such happen, such as encountering an enemy in the jungle while you were rushing to your turret (It would give gold when killed, so it would not slow player's progress down, and they do not necessarily have to fight it if they don't want to), and turrets and minions would have no real "absolute health", to avoid things from going stale and to allow more flexibility with actions. In concrete, stats and health would be solid values, maps would be drawn and updated to show the exact location of each player, turret, minion, ect. (In freeform I would still give a general idea of where everything is). Yeah, that's basically the main differences.
King_Pikmin
King_Pikmin
Experienced Player
Experienced Player

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Eh, stat values would make it more like a tower defense game, but a map showing where all the players are would negate stealth entirely, one of the major issues with PvP. Sneaking up to a base or turret takes more than one action, and since you show all the players the roll, they'd know to hurry back and guard their base.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea Empty Anouncement

Post  riaclefr Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:55 am

A ground persists past the realistic tree. The scream slaves around League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea. The biologist spins next to the world voice. An explanatory editorial cases League of Rolling, a new PvP R2D idea.

riaclefr
New Player
New Player

http://www.africanwomen.tk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down