Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Orcish Invasion - A Fantasy R2D

+4
its_crunchtime
Bigkahuna
Malregima
FLAMELASHER
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Orcish Invasion - A Fantasy R2D Empty The Orcish Invasion - A Fantasy R2D

Post  FLAMELASHER Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Note: In my mind, this is my last chance at hosting an R2D.

In the world of Galamar, there is an Empire - the Harmonan Empire - that rules a large amount of land. Plains, cities, mountains, towns, lakes, roads, villages, bases - you name it, they probably owned at least a bit. And it was made by their workers - some said slaves, but they were paid, if only a little. So when their workers start dying while working on a new town, they were worried. That's when the Orcs came. Harmona fought back, but soon the entire south of the country fell, and more was lost everyday. They pleaded their allies for troops. And they sent their best. Or, new recruits into their best organisations. Can they master their skill in time to save Harmona, or will it fall into ruins before they become skilled enough to stop it?

CLASSES

Your Character must have a class. Here is the list of Classes:

Ranger - The all round class, Rangers fight with Swords, Bows, Daggers and sometimes a Bomb or two. They also have basic stealth in forests and woods, and can make basic potions form herbs.
Assassin - The stealth class, Assassins fight with devices mounted to their wrists, elbows, knees and feet. It is a wooden tube with a blade inside. They slide the blade out and use it to stab enemies. They have extremely good stealth skills and sometimes use posion bombs.
Berserker - The most damaging melee class, Berserkers fight with Dual Axes, Swords and plenty of Bombs. They have lots of power but can't use defensive skills or wear heavy armour. Killing the enemy quick is vital, and it's what they do best.
Warrior - The warrior class, Warriors fight with Sword and Shield or Pikes, and are skilled in both offence and defence. They usually have fairly heavy armour and their only real weakness is a lack of ranged attacks.
Sharpshooter - The most ranged class, Sharpshooters fight with Bows, Throwing Knives and sometimes their hands. They pack a punch but up close are destroyed by almost any Orc. They have basic stealth skills.
Mage - The wizard class, Magi are extremely powerful and fight with deadly spells such as fireballs, explosive lightning and arcane shields. However, they need to draw power from Mana Rocks, which are rare, so they need to be careful.

COMBAT

The combat is done on a D20, the basic 'higher the better' approach, but with 20 being an overshot. Bonuses will not take you higher than 19. New skills can be learnt at trainers in Stronghold. Feel free to make up skill as long as they are balanced and suited to your class.

You also get to command your men, and early game only have 1 squad who travel with you. Later you get to take over the campaign, and fortify buildings, choose whether to attack or defend, and send groups of soldiers on missions elsewhere to you.

STRONGHOLDS

Strongholds are Harmonan buildings where their military lives and works. They are scattered through Harmona, and are usually orc-proof, but if the surrounding area is 95% or more Orc controlled then they will fall without the player's help, except for the most mighty ones. In strongholds players can heal, rest, get supplies and weapons and eat.

ORC CONTROL

As the Orcs take more of the land and squash more of the resistance in an area, their control will rise from 0% to up to 100%. The lower it is, the more survivors you can rescue, troops you can fight with and less chance of you dying to the hands of Orcs. If an area stays under mostly Harmonan control then they will send in tougher troops like Trolls and Warlocks.

ORC TYPES

Orcs come in many types, here is a list:
Grunts - Weak Orcs wielding clubs and axes, they are the first to attack Harmonan lands. Found anywhere Orcs are.
Warriors - Tougher Orcs with swords and axes, they are sent after Grunts. Found after an hours siege.
Archers - Weak Orcs with shortbows and sometimes longbows, they are sent with Warriors. Found after an hours siege.
Captains - Tough Orcs with swords, they are a harder fight than warriors, but rarer. Found after 10 hours siege.
Wolf Riders - Weak Orcs on tough Wolves, armed with spears and swords and deadly fast. Found after 10 hours siege.
Trolls - Huge, gray trolls armed with tree roots and hammers. They sometimes throw trees. Found after 24 hours siege.
Generals - Elite, heavily armed with swords and bombs. These are the toughest Orc warriors. Found after 24 hours siege.
Troll Elites - Armoured trolls with dual hammers or trees. They can throw boulders and trees. Found after 48 hours siege.
Assassin - Sneaky Orcs with powerful attacks but low health and no defensive power. Often attack leaders. Found after 48 hours siege.
Warlocks - Orcs who can throw fire and form arcane shields. They can also hover and blast wind at you. Found after 48 hours siege.
Warlock Master - A Warlock who makes other Warlocks look like newborn babies. Be very, very careful. Found after 96 hours siege.
From there the numbers increase. Multiple Warlock Masters appear after roughly 200 hours siege.

STARTING LOCATION

Players start the game in a Stronghold, where they are briefed on their mission and get to meet each other.

APPLICATION FORM

Character Name -
Character Class -
Character Looks -
Character Bio -

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

See bigkahuna's post just below, and my reply. Will put Questions and Answers here when there is more than one question.

Last edited by FLAMELASHER on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

The Orcish Invasion - A Fantasy R2D Empty Re: The Orcish Invasion - A Fantasy R2D

Post  Malregima Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Character Name - Malicia
Character Class - Berserker
Character Looks - Black hair, coal black skin, red eyes, broad shoulder, medium size, very very loud, quick temper but first to say sorry, likes to train at dawn and dusk, loyal to her friends.
Character Bio -
Spoiler:

Did I fill out the application correctly?

Malregima
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

The Orcish Invasion - A Fantasy R2D Empty Re: The Orcish Invasion - A Fantasy R2D

Post  FLAMELASHER Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Yes, you filled it in right. You are in. And the world of chaos thing couldn't be more accurate. I'm making a history for the world. Here's an extract:
Spoiler:
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Interesting! A tower-defense/territory capturing/campaigning R2D.

I've been wondering for a while about one of these styles working. Definitely a more promising one of your games, I hope it turns out well.

I have a few questions out of pure curiosity.

1. Mage/Mana Rocks. Drawing power from a limited resource is a dangerous mechanic to be using. How are you planning to use this? Couldn't you just use the mana rocks to limit the amount of power or 'mana points' the player has, limiting the power of their spells, or the spells they can learn?

2. The Battles. How will large-scale battles, army management, and campaigning work on a turn-based game? Will the battles be held from the perspective of the players doing what they can to change the tide of battle, or will it be them leading a group of soldiers in a more macroscopic perspective?

3. Strategical Mechanics. Will resource distributing, siege weapon building/maintaining, structure fortifying, spreading and allocating of manpower, and the like be implemented? Will the players be in charge of the campaign or just soldiers in it?
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:09 pm

@bigkahuna

1) Yes, it is risky to use a limited resource for a source of power, but the Mages are very powerful, and there is usually one in the area, however most are guarded by Orcs, so you need to work as a team to get to them. And they last quite a long time, giving the Mage lots of magic energy and they have between 5 and 7 charges.

2) Sort of a blend of both. You get two actions: one fighting in normal R2D style combat and one commanding any troops under your command. As for the scale of the battles, they are either large-scale battles for cities split into sections such as battle over bridges, strongholds and defensible positions.

About Army Management... You don't command an entire army, only about 30 men at any time each (180 total). And when managing them, it's fairly simple. They have a need for Food and Drink, and they will automatically use Food and Drink when they need it. They will resupply automatically at Strongholds. In battle, just say what you want them to do, ex. 'Swordsmen attack Orcs on Bridge, Archers take out Orc trying to swim through the lake.'

3) Towards the start players will only command a squad of people, who they can tell what to do in battle, and the only resource allocation is giving them weapons. Spreading manpower is important because otherwise they tend to not get results. Later in the game, you get more squads and get to do things like build Catapults and choose where they go, and what they do there. So you could be fighting Orcs in a forest while your men raid an Orc Camp. And Strongholds can take damaging, and you can choose to fortify them with metal plates and archers if you so desire.

TL;DR - Mana Rocks have lots of charge and add to strategy, you get two actions - one for you, one for men and start doing missions for a General with a squad, then later become leader of the campaign.
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  its_crunchtime Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm glad we finally have another game going, and this one definitely looks interesting. I'd join up, but I already "reserved" a slot in Rulyon's upcoming game, and I really don't want to be in more than 4 R2D's at a time.

Gotta give other players a chance to play, y'know?
its_crunchtime
its_crunchtime
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  AerynPierre Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Please do not save me a spot, I don't have reliable access to the internet at the present time.

Last edited by AerynPierre on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AerynPierre
AerynPierre
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 am

Add me in only if you need a 6th person to start. I don't want to take up slots Wink

Character Name - Kynek

Character Class - Ranger

Character Looks - 5' 11", black matted hair just covering his sombre green eyes, average build, a 4-in horizontal scar on his right temple, missing half of his ring finger on his left hand.

Character Bio -

Spoiler:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Not enough interest to start. :-( Maybe people are bored of this genre. Or just don't trust me. I'll try something else, but could this get locked?
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:47 pm

It hasn't been that long, yet. How about you wait a few more days -- make a thread in General Discussion about your game. Some people only check the threads for the games they're in, so you can make a little 'ad' so others will notice.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Ok, I will.
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  its_crunchtime Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Maybe if people started advertising this forum than we would have more players in games as well...
its_crunchtime
its_crunchtime
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  AerynPierre Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Is this dead?
AerynPierre
AerynPierre
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinobody Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:02 am

Nah, Flamelasher just gone on holiday for a week.
Shinobody
Shinobody
Roleplayer
Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 am

Yeah, Flamelasher is just waiting for applications, so feel free to sign up.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Character:
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Darien Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:50 pm

I'll join if this is still on. It looks like it could be something, don't give up on it.

Character Name - Alder
Character Class - Warrior
Character Looks -6'4 1/2,Brown hair, blue eyes, white of skin.
Character Bio - Born of a noble house, Alder had a good upbringing. For five years. He was playing in the top floor of the manor when he heard a door crash open down below, at first he did not think anything of it, presuming it to be his father or one of the servants. He instinctively hid, meaning to jump out and scare them, but when he heard screams from below he stayed hidden. A few men charged up the stairs, completely missing when Alder had sequestered himself, Alder watched as they tore through the upper floor, looting anything of value. As they moved to leave, one of them threw a torch on the bed, and the flames quickly spread throughout the house. Alder had managed to escape that day, but found himself impoverished and alone, not to mention too young for traveling. He could not say what drew him into the forest near the manor, but he went in and ran around for some time, until crashing into a woodsman. With his clothes and himself darkened by soot, his noble birth was unintelligible, so the woodsman took him in as a son, for he and his wife had never been able to have one. For many years he helped his new father, not wanting to adventure past the forest that he had grown to know so well. He grew tall and strong, but when word reached them of the orcish invasion to the south, he had a change of heart. Remembering what happened to his house because of simple bandits, he knew the orcs were even more bloodthirsty, and he decided to do what he could to stop them. Leaving his home and enlisting in the army, he was immediately sent to aid Harmona.
Darien
Darien
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:10 pm

If you guys still care, I could start this.

(Sorry about inactivity, my internet has been down for ages)
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Malregima Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:24 pm

FLAMELASHER wrote:If you guys still care, I could start this.

(Sorry about inactivity, my internet has been down for ages)
YES YES!!!
Finally!!! we can start the adventure Very Happy

Malregima
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:36 pm

"Hey," says the Guard as the Party assemble by the door to the armory: "Good to see you got here alive. I'm here to brief you and let you get your gear. So, as you obviously know, your'e here to help beat the Orcs. You'll be sent to a small, village first."

He got out a map and showed you it. A small village near a forest with caves south of it was circled.

"Yewfields. Named for it's famous Yew Forest and expanse of farmland. The scouts say Orcs are on the horizon, and will get there in about 4 hours," he continued, putting away the map: "We're kinda low on gear, so the stuff on offer ain't that good."

He pulled out his sword, which had a dent and was slightly bent.

"Even I don't get good gear! Although to be fair, my job is briefing others, so it kinda makes sense. Anyway, on topic again. Me and a squad of other guards are going to come with you for this first mission. And with no further waiting, I present to you - the armory!"

He swung open the door.

EQUIPMENT:

6x Bent Iron Sword (2d6)
4x Small Iron Shield
4x Dented Iron Axes (2d8)
4x Scratched Blade Tube Sets (1d10)
6x Twisted Longbow (1d8)
4x Bent Iron Pike (1d10)
8x Dented Iron Dagger (2d3)
4x Cracked Bomb (3d20)
4x Leaky Poison Bomb (1d3, Poisonous)
4x Dented Steel Helm (5 Armor)
4x Dented Steel Chestplate (10 Armor)
4x Dented Steel Pants (7.5 Armor)
4x Dented Steel Boots (2.5 Armor)
6x Leather Helmet (3 Armor)
6x Leather Vest (6 Armor)
3x Leather Pants (4.5 Armor)
3x Leather Shorts (4.5 Armor)
6x Leather Boots (2 Armor)
10x Dusty Cloak (1 Armor)

Last edited by FLAMELASHER on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Well, time for some typical Ranger equipment!

•Bent Iron Sword
•Small Iron Shield
•Twisted Longbow (1d8)
•Dented Iron Dagger (3d3)

•Leather Helmet
•Leather Vest
•Leather Pants (would do shorts, but no idea about climate)
•Leather Boots
•Dusty Cloak

And, what the hey.

•Cracked Bomb

Is this acceptable, or is there a limit?
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Take: 1 Leather Helmet, 1 Leather Vest, 1 Leather Pants, 1 Leather Boots, 1 Dusty Cloak.

Why does the pike have the worst damage besides the longbow? And how does a twisted longbow do any damage at all?

Also, are you using major/minor actions or freeform actions?
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 pm

@Bigkahuna - It's fine.

@8680 - The Pike is equal to the Blade Tubes and better than the Dagger. And the longbow is just twisted slightly somewhere, but not enough to stop it being usable. And Major/Minor actions is the format.
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Darien Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:44 pm

And I'll be the Human shield, keep behind me!

• Bent Iron Sword
  • Small Iron Shield
  • Dented Steel Helm
  • Dented Steel Chestplate
  • Dented Steel Pants
  • Dented Steel Pants
  • Dusty Cloak
  • Dented Iron Dagger

On another note, does the bow require arrows, or do they come with it? Just thought to clarify that, though I don't think I'll end up using a bow.
Darien
Darien
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  FLAMELASHER Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

It comes with arrows. Rangers and other bow-users get infinite quivers.
FLAMELASHER
FLAMELASHER
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next