Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Archive]Of Magic and Metal R2D

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Archive]Of Magic and Metal R2D Empty [Archive]Of Magic and Metal R2D

Post  Bigkahuna Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Title: Of Magic and Metal
Author: its_crunchtime

Of Magic and Metal

The Game:
Gameplay:

About Magic: The effects on the world:
Magic: Which is which?:
Setting:

To join:

Currently Playing:

Shinobody (Rhyanon)
AerynPierre (Vitr)
Rulyon (Jayk)
8680 (Kreja)
Natania (Malregima)
Anailater (Klyen)

Waiting List:

The Honored Fallen
Flamelasher (Character: Nameless.) Slain in an assassination attempt on Ordal.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

[Archive]Of Magic and Metal R2D Empty Re: [Archive]Of Magic and Metal R2D

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Roll #1: Prologue Begins

The silence in the cavern is unnerving. Other than the sounds of metal on rock from the Metal One’s pick, there is no noise. Up above, in the High Mines, there is constant noise, either from the clanking of golems, the clashing of picks, the drone of machinery…
Without it, the world seems a much more abandoned place.

Edging away from the others, Vitr{5} holds his arm out to his side a bit, and moves his hand in small circles, trying to see if the Metal One standing in the middle of the cavern moves it’s head to observe the movement. The Metal One’s head does not change position at all.
Without a word to the others, other than a small nod to each other, Gerrick, Jayk, and Kreja run towards the Mine-Ward. Jayk{10} covers the distance silently, and leaps the last few feet, swinging his pickaxe at the Mine-Ward.

Jayk
Attacking: rolling D7 (Pickaxe: +1 to attack)
Effects/Traits: None
= 6

Mine-Ward
Defending: rolling D6
Effects/Traits: Unaware (-6 to defense, lasts until end of defense)
1 – 6 = 0

The pickaxe thuds into the Mine-Wards right kidney. He stays completely still, other than swaying to the left a bit. A slight whine escapes his lips.
Gerrick{2} trips and falls on a loose bit of scree on the floor. He lands flat on his face with a sharp smack, and a cracking sound leaves no doubt that something is broken.
Kreja{8} follows Jayk’s exact path, avoiding the loose scree that littered the floor of the cavern. As she nears the Mine-Ward, she swings her pickaxe at his head.

Kreja
Attacking: rolling D7 (Pickaxe: +1 to attack)
Effects/Traits: None
=7

Mine-Ward
Defending: rolling D6
Effects/Traits: Immobilized with pain (-6 to defense, lasts 1 turn)
= 5 – 6 = 0

With a crunch of bone, Kreja’s pickaxe slams into the top of the Mine-Ward’s head, and his body falls to the ground.
Nameless{8} watches the Mine-Ward fall, dead, and gives a slight chuckle as Gerrick falls flat on his face.

The Metal One’s both stop moving, staying completely still for a long moment. Both Metal One’s heads suddenly jerk back, and the Metal One that had been mining‘s arm turns back into a long, pointed, metallic arm. They both turn towards Kreja and Jayk, and the Metal One in the middle of the cavern begins walking towards them, it’s four pointed legs knocking chips out of the rock wherever it stepped. When they both stood side by side, facing Kreja and Jayk, they both incline their heads.
An “O” seamlessly forms in one of the Metal One’s face, and a smooth, metallic voice filled the cavern.
“Thank you for restoring life to us. We are in your debt. This, however, does not sit easy with us.”
Each Metal One lifted one of their arms, and a small metal disc falls onto the floor in front of each of them.
“If ever either of you have need, press down on the square in the center, and call out our names. I am El. This is Se-e. We will come.”
With that, they both turned and walked across the cavern, disappearing through a tunnel that led away to the north.

The five of you stare after them, stunned. It had never occurred to you that creatures that were created by MetalCasters had sentience.One thought runs through each of your minds: Perhaps we should tell Ordal? You each consider this a possibly crucial piece of information towards the escape.
Kreja and Jayk each pick up a disc and pocket it.
“Should we wait for Ordal?” Gerrick queries.
“Unless we want to wander lost down here, I think that would be a good idea.” Nameless responds, looking at the Mine-Wards body. His torso is criss-crossed by multiple leather straps that hold an assortment of items you can’t identify, while his black pants and boots appear fairly ordinary. A strange metal handle, striated and contorted, pokes out of a short sheath on his side. His whip lies on the floor beside him.

The cavern is a good bowshot in width, and roughly equal in length. You stand the right, near the middle of the cave. To the north is the tunnel the two Metal-Ones left through. Another tunnel is a few meters to the left of it. Another tunnel leads out of the cavern to the west. To your south lies the large, metal building. It takes up the whole of the south side of the cavern. There are no windows, and a large, closed door is the only entrance. A long elevator shaft travels from the roof of the building, pierces the roof of the cavern, and continues upwards. Thats how you all got down here.

Two turns until Ordal arrives.

Character Information:

Heh. That was a shorter roll than I thought it would be... They will be longer in the future, since this roll really didn't have much going on. Gerrick rolling a two should've had a more severe penalty and injury, but what can I say.. it was the first roll. I was lenient.
What I am surprised at is how you guys slaughtered the Mine-Ward.. I was already thinking of a sort of boss battle between you five, him, and the Metal Ones.
Also, something I forgot to put in the main post. Meditating will also show you how much experience you have, and in what areas.

Last edited by Bigkahuna on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Roll #2

With the Mine-Ward gone, this has been one of only a few times in the months you’ve been imprisoned that the five of you are without scrutiny by the men and women who enforce control over the workers and miners in the mine. This knowledge makes you all relax a bit, but underneath is still the hard layers of tension you’ve accumulated over time.
Jayk and Kreja stand side by side, examining the discs the Metal Ones had given then. Though neither of you knew any element of magic, you knew that generally objects like these needed certain runes or glyphs carved on them to function. Neither of you were able to descry any, which challenged your knowledge of magic, meager as it was. You wondered if you should bring up the topic of magic with Ordal. You doubted that he knew much about it, but he had struck you as a worldly and knowledgeable person; the kind who knew the answer to most questions, no matter what they were.

“While were waiting…” Gerrick{8 -1 = 7 + 2 = 9} mumbled, as he sauntered over to the patch of soul rock. He examined it with a critical eye, born of two months spent extracting minerals and rock such as this from nature’s walls. The Metal One had done most of the work, and with a few quick, accurate blows, sent the Soul Rock falling to the floor. As it lands with a thud, a small, jet black mineral falls out of the head-sized hole the Soul Rock had left. You look at the stone, noting its dull black sheen, before pocketing it in your belt pouch. Then you look at the far more interesting item in your opinion: the Soul Rock you managed to get out. It was about the size of your head, and while you did not know what it did, or how valuable it was, judging by the reactions of the Mine-Ward, it had some value. You stare at it, debating whether you should break it into smaller chunks.

Meanwhile, Jayk pockets his disc in one of the small pouches on the belt of his jumpsuit, before walking over to the Mine-Wards corpse. He grabs the whip, giving it a cursory glance, but it was nothing special. It was made from stout leather, now worn with use, with a small metal spike at the end. It had a cold handle made out of a black metal that you are not familiar with. You wonder if it has any special properties, before pushing it behind your belt. Making sure it’s secure, you then bend down and unbuckle the short, sheathed blade from his belt. You hold the sheathed weapon closer to the ceiling, trying to catch as much of the rather dim light as you can that the small glowing stones emitted.
The handle had a shiny, silver trim on all of its edges, which were many, as the handle twisted and contorted itself in such a way that you had no idea how to hold such a thing. The rest of the handle, as well as the short sheath, was a deep black shade, not unlike the handle on the whip.
You try to grasp the weapon multiple times in different spots, before finally finding a comfortable position between two of the handles striated pieces. A bar sat there, and you had no doubt that this was where it was meant to be gripped for use. Taking a short, excited breath, you yank on the handle, looking forward to see the blade of the weapon.
It doesn’t budge.
You try multiple times, to no avail. With a frustrated sigh, you buckle the sheath onto your belt, resolving to discover the mysteries of the weapon later.

Walking a short way away from your companions, Jayk{4} takes the whip and sheathed weapon, and thinks back on the events that led him to this point.
Your mind immediately runs into a thick wall. Your mental self pushes at it, pounds at it, and shouts at it, to no avail. It doesn’t seem to be your day. With a sigh, you open your eyes and watch Gerrick, still staring at the Soul Rock with a pensive look on his face.

Vitr{4} gives a small smirk and a rueful shake of his head at how quickly these recent events have happened. With a quick, slightly envious look at Jayk’s whip, you walk over to Gerrick.
“I would have helped you with that.” He points out, hoping to get a piece of the rock in return for your kind intentions, as you bend down and examine the rock. Its hard edges quickly draw you in as you follow them as they form ridges and valleys along the deep blue stone. The flecks of white look like small patches of stone, and the more you stare at them, the larger they seem. In fact, they seem to be growing. Soon, they will engulf the whole stone! You have to stop them! You-
“’Course you would. And, for your kind intentions, and my small problem with the size of this rock, we shall split it.”
You are brought out of your fascination with a start. You give a quick glance at the stone, fearful of how easily it drew you in, but respectful of its unknown powers. With a sharp nod to Gerrick, he brings down his pick on the stone.
But his aim is not true, and he shears off a quarter of the material instead of half.
Gerrick, hearing a strange sound as he hits the rock, quickly examines his pick. A chunk is missing from the end he hit the stone with.
“Definitely not trying that again,” He says, handing you the smaller piece. “Ah well, I worked to get it out anyway. Fair is fair.”

Nameless{6 + 2 = 8} walks over to the area directly below the large mushroom, and begin practicing his mining on the caverns wall. After a short time, you stop, panting from the task of hammering a heavy pick against the rock. You feel like you learned a good amount, and are pleased with your effort. Walking over to Jayk, you squat beside him, trying to catch your breath.

Kreja{7} walks a few meters away from her friends. Hefting her pick, she begins slowly swinging her pick in precise, though a bit shaky, movements. She gradually speeds up, intending to end swinging as fast as she can, but as she swings her pick at just half of what she feels she can do, her arms begin screeching in protest, and she must stop. Resting the picks head on the floor, and leaning on the haft, Kreja casts her gaze around the cavern as she catches her breath, wondering if the cavern somehow has sapped her energy.

One turn until Ordal arrives (Malregima, you are added on this coming roll. You will be added at the end, so you have no need for an action yet.)

If there are any errors in this, please point them out. It's late for me, so I'm expecting there to be a few.

Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Roll #3

Movement on the top of the cavern catches all of your eyes, and you all turn to see an elevator car slowly descend from the ceiling.
Gerrick{3} drops on the spot, and begins to do push-ups. He is able to do a few, before attempting a jump push-up. He cannot get his hands down in time, and smacks the side of his head against the hard rock. He immediately gets up, and leans against the wall for support while he checks the side of his head for damage. The side of your head is a bit sore, but nothings broken. You try to walk away from the wall, but immediately fall down. Looks like you’ll have to wait until you can keep your balance until moving. That is, if you don’t want to fall down.

Kreja{6}
walks over to the mushroom stalk and leans on it, resting as she regains her breath. She watches Gerrick fall, thinks that he must be very clumsy, then sets off running around the mushroom. She keeps the pace for awhile, then increases it. You run until you’re lathered with sweat, and stop, breathing hard. You don’t feel as if you’ve pushed the boundaries of what you can much, if at all. With a sigh, you walk in small circles so your muscles won’t cramp up.

Vitr{2} tucks away his small shard of soul rock, before setting off at a run, following the path Kreja took. You take no more than two steps before hitting the same patch of scree that Gerrick tripped on before. You fly through the air, your head hitting a large rock, and you immediately black out, but not before a wave of pain crashes through you.

Jayk{3} steps away from the rest of the group, and searches out a suitable rock outcrop on the wall. Finding one, he uncoils his whip and pulls back his arm. You pump your arm forward, and cry out in pain as you are whipped across the back of your neck, tearing open your skin. You drop the whip and clap a hand to the back of your neck. You sit down next to the rock and ponder how to actually use the whip. It looks like you will need some more practice.

Nameless{5} squeezes himself into his hole. You try to pile rocks overtop of the entrance, but find your arms are stuck. With a yank, you free them, but you can see that the hole is too small to hide in.

The elevator car finally drops out of site inside the building. You all watch the building expectantly, expecting it to be Ordal, when the sound of an explosion echoes from the building, though it does not appear altered in any way. You all, with the exception of Vitr, who’s unconscious, stare at the building, not knowing what to do. A long moment passes, then another….
A grating sound fills the cavern, and the metal door in the side of the building opens, and a tanned women with jet black hair, save for a few strips of green highlights, pops out. Sprintingt towards you, she skids to a stop and, after catching her breath for a few seconds, says:
“Ordal and the others need your help! Quickly, quickly! Come on!” She pulls at Gerricks hand, trying to get him up off the floor. She succeeds, but Gerrick immediately slumps back down.
“Who are you?” Nameless asks warily.
“My name is Natania, but this is not the time! We must help Ordal!”
“You don’t even have a weapon.” Jayk observes. “How will you help?”
“Then give me a weapon! Lets go!”
Sounds of fighting echo out from the now-open door, and none of you are too thrilled at the prospect of fighting in a building that you haven’t seen much of on the inside.

New player: Natania (Malregima)

A worthy GM note: The more dangerous the situation is, the worse the consequences of fail rolls will be. That’s why most of you got off with little to no negative effects.
Speaking of fail, that roll was full of it!
Looking back... wow. That is a small roll.

Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Roll #4

“Quickly! Let’s go! They’re in danger!” Natania cries.
“Calm yourself! What happened in there?” Nameless asks.
“We… that is.. me, Ordal, and a few others, stepped out of the elevator, and walked right into a group of soldiers, and a Metal One. The Metal One turned around and fired some sort of explosive… The entire room tore apart. I got flown across the room, and out a hallway. After regaining my senses, I realized that some sort of alarm was triggered. Then I ran, following signs that pointed where the exit was. Ordal had told us that we were going to retrieve some people, so I figured you’d be out here.” She craned her neck around, counting. “Only five of you?”
“We need a plan before going in here… It’s obvious we can’t just-“ But whatever Jayk was going to say was drowned out as Nameless let loose a roar, and charged the building. He skidded to a stop before the open door, turning around and asking:
“Anyone coming?”
Kreja walks over to join him, flowed by Gerrick, who lurches to his feet and stumbles over. Jayk hands Natania his whip saying a quick:
“Here, use this. Give it back once you find something else.” With a quick nod, Natania takes the whip. She turns around and flicks it in the air a few times, then, satisfied she has the gist of how to use it, follows Jayk to the door. With a shared look, you all enter the building, Nameless first.

Seems you all forgot about Vitr.

You all enter in a rather large, circular room. The entire place is covered in dull, grey metal without any decoration. A flight of stairs is to the right, at the end of a hallway. Three hallways pepper the walls of the rest of the room. You can all hear a loud “whirrrreeee” sound, presumably the alarm. Pieces of wooden furniture are scattered around the room. Whovever placed them obviously has no talent for interior design.

“Natania, which hallway did you take?” Nameless asks.
“Umm…. I don’t remember… I was running so fast… Just look for signs that point to the exit, and go the opposite direction they point.”
Suddenly, a squad of four soldiers descends down the flight of stairs. They are garbed in chainmail, with a few scattered plates, and a completely black tabard overtop. They wear smooth, black helmets that cover their entire face, save for an opaque-at least from your side- black lens across their eyes that is a lighter shade of black.
The lead guard hefts a crossbow. “Stand down and drop your weapons on the floor!”
“Not likely.” Nameless responds. The five of you scatter, dropping behind pieces of furniture for cover, as the guards open fire in unison.

Olson
Equipped weapon: Standard Crossbow, T1 design. (+2 to ranged attack)
Effects/Traits: Crossbow/Gun LVL 1: Good Shot(+1 to crossbow/gun rolls)
Well Armored (+2 defense)

Attacking Nameless
Rolling D6 + 2(Crossbow Bonus) + 1(Crossbow/Gun Lvl) = D9

Nameless Dodge: Rolling D6

The lead guards bolt whistles down the hallway towards Nameless, who shrinks against the chair he is behind. The bolt thuds into the top of the chair, and you breathe a short sigh of relief. You burst from cover, sliding behind a thicker and larger couch, where Gerrick and Jayk both hide.

Rednick
Effects/Traits: Well Armored (+2 defense)
One-handed Sword LVL 1: Proficient (+1 to sword attack, +1 to melee defence)

Attacking Natania
Rolling D6 + 2(Crossbow Bonus) = D8

Natania Dodge: Rolling D6

Natania throws herself away from the bolt. Or at least, she thought it was away. She puts herself into the bolts path, but the guards aim wasn’t true, and the bolt clips her shoulder, leaving a good-sized gash.

Erd
Effects/Traits: Well Armored ( +2 defense)
New soldier (More likely to break and run)

Attacking Jayk
Rolling D6 + 2(Crossbow Bonus) = D8

Jayk Dodge: Rolling D6

The bolt flies towards Jayk, through a small gap in the couch, and strikes him just above the knee. He cries out in pain, and slumps over a bit.
“Stay strong!” Gerrick whispers. “Our turn is next.” He hefts his pickaxe.

Kell
Equipped weapon: Omnite Longsword and Omnite Circular Shield. (+2 to melee attack, +2 to defense)
Effects/Traits: Well Armored (+2 defense)

After the other guards fire, Kell moves up and plants himself in front of them, hefting his shield and sword. Olson shouts:
“Fire on the same person, fools! On my mark! Kell, you hold your position until they all die, you hear me?”

“ATTAAAAAAAAACK!” Nameless{9} roars, leaping from cover and charging down the hallway. He clears the space between Kell and him in a few short bounds, and with a roar, brings down his pick.

Nameless
Attacking Kell
Rolling D6 + 1(Pickaxe) = D7

Kell defense roll:
Defending against Nameless
Rolling D6 + 2 (Armor) + 2 (Shield and Sword) = D10

Nameless brings the pick down with all his might. Kell effortlessly blocks it with his shield, then brings his sword around in a strike to Nameless’s neck. Nameless ducks and drives the flat top of his pick at Kells knee, and is rewarded with a sharp crack as his knee is staved in. Kell falls down on one knee, and bashes Nameless back with his shield.

Kreja{10} bursts from cover and sprints down the hallway, not even slowing as she neared the fallen guard. With a cry, she jumps and brings down her pick.

Kreja
Attacking Kell
Rolling D6 + 1(Pick) + 2(Momentum) = D9

Kell defense roll:
Defending against Kreja
Rolling D6 + 2 (Armor) + 2 (Shield and Sword) = D10
9 – 2(Broken knee) – 1(Pain) = 6

Kell brings up his shield just in time to block your pick, and both your arms are jarred heavily from the impact. You both recoil, Kell as much as he can with a broken knee. Kreja turns away from the guard, anticipating a counterattack, and dives to the floor, rolling back to her feet beside Gerricks crumpled form.

Jayk{1 – 2(Bolt in knee) – 1 (Pain) = 1) Attempts to stand up, but his injured knee fails him. He falls back to the floor, breathing heavily, as his vision goes blurry. A shake of his head, and his vision is back to normal.

Gerrick{9 – 2 = 7} lurches to his feet, and unsteadily runs down the hall towards the guards and Nameless. You almost get there before you collapse, your head still reeling from your failed push-up attempt.

Natania{4 – 1(Cut shoulder) breaks cover and runs to the entrance of each hallway, searching frantically for a sign leading the way. She cannot find any, and, as she whirls around, strips on a chair and falls to the ground, smacking her nose against the unyielding metal floor.

“Stay strong, Kell! Hold them for another volley!” Olson calls, as he and his soldiers begin to reload their crossbows.
Hostiles Information:

Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Roll #5

Vitr’s eyes slowly open. He gazes impassively at the ceiling for a while, wondering where he was, and why his head hurt so much.
Then his memories came back, and he sits up so fast, he feels a bit woozy.
Shaking himself a bit, Vitr{9} crosses his legs, folds his arms, and closes his eyes. He turns his thoughts inward, directing his body’s energy inside him. He dives headfirst into the Pool of Vitr, and comes up with a startling discovery.
As Vitr swims around inside himself, he notices a bright light in the middle of his lake. He swims there, neither caring about he light, nor directing his movements. Inside himself, Vitr is at peace.
As he swims leisurely into the bubble of light, it pops. Suddenly, he is standing on a piece of rock, floating in space. Small, bright lights zip around him. They seem so full of energy, so full of life, you can’t help but try to take one for yourself. Reaching out, you slowly close your hand around one. Just as its light would disappear inside your hand, it flares brighter than ever, shining deep into your soul. You smile with pure joy, then-

With a start, Vitr comes out of his meditation. He glances around, searching for what had wakened him. As he does, he idly scratches an itch on his right hand; the hand that grasped the light. Glancing down, he sees that his entire hand has been drained of color, leaving him with a stark, alabaster-white hand. You prick your hand with a sharp stone, and the contrast with your red blood on your startlingly white hand is stunning. You turn your hand around and see a circle with multiple lines shooting out of it on your hand. It takes up your entire palm, and is a deep, dark black. You poke it, but it feels just like the rest of your hand. Remembering your experience inside yourself, you take a deep breath, and gather your bodies energies. Casting your hand to the side, you focus your energy on the circle, and release it.
A short hum fills the air, your hand feels hot, and a white beam, the same shade as your hand, streaks out of your palm. The beam of energy collides with the wall on the other side of the cavern, and a small explosion blows a few medium-sized chunks of rock away. Vitr grins, and wonders what else his hand is capable of doing.

Gerrick{4} jumps to his feet, and advances towards Kell, his pick at the ready. Infact, Gerrick is so focused on Kell that he doesn’t notice a small hole in the metal floor. His foot plunges through the floor, burying his leg up to his knee, and the sharp metal sides slice through the jumpsuit and leave some rather painful scratches. You hope that it doesn’t get infected-those sides look none too clean.

Natania{3- 1(Bruised) = 2}(Ouch… sorry, Malregima… this will be a bad roll for you…) searches for a boulder to hide behind, but there are none in this room of the building. She settles on crouching behind the curve of the wall that curves away from the hallway the soldiers and a few of your companions are in. Shielded from their view, you utter a few choice curses as you clap your left hand against your wound. Suddenly, your hand begins to feel hot. Too hot. With a shout, you yank your hand off your wound. Your palm is burnt; a few layers of skin are gone, and you can feel your shoulder begin to feel intense heat. That bolt must have been poisoned! You can do nothing but bare your teeth in a snarl as your shoulder begins to heat up. It feels as though its on fire, and the pain continues increasing. You hope one of your companions will help you soon, otherwise you will be in big trouble.

Jayk{2 – 1(Pain) = 1} grits his teeth. He spits out a short, “Aagh! That hurts… Vitr better show up soon…”
With a quick breath, you steel yourself, and grasp the bolt. You yank on it, and with a sharp snap, whatever you are holding onto comes out. A sharp, menacing wave of pain crashes into you. You fall back as you are suddenly unable to hold yourself up. You sit there for a time, shaking, as the sounds of bttle roll down the hallway towards you. You are dimly aware of Malregima let loose a shout of pain, and wonder what happened. Soon you are able to move again, the pain abating slightly, and you cast your gaze towards your knee.
You see the metal head of the bolt, flush with the skin of your knee. The wooden shaft is gone; you hold it in your hand. The metal bolt head had gone completely into your knee, through the bone. The wooden shaft was the only piece of the bolt that had been showing. You stare at it in complete and utter dismay: How would you get it out now?

Nameless{- }(Roll not required: Standing close to target) gives a humorless grim as he says: “ You have lost the right to your eyes, soldier. Allow me to REMOVE THEM!”

Nameless attacking roll
Attacking Kell
D6 + 1(Pickaxe) = D7

Kell defense roll
Defending against Nameless
D6 + 2(Armour) + 2(Sheild) – 1(Pain) = D9

Nameless feints with his heavy pick as best he can towards Kell’s injured knee. Kell takes the feint, moving his shield down, and Nameless pulls his pick away, and swings it with a roar at Kell’s head. The pick shatters the eye lens, and the tip of the pick splatters through Kell’s eye, and then punctures his skull. Nameless pulls his bloodied pick out with a roar, shaking it at the other three guards.

Kreja{3} sees Kell fall, and jumps towards him with the intent to use his body as a shield against the crossbows. She tries to lift him up, but he is too heavy with his armor. He rises to Kreja’s chest height, before his shield slips from the dead mans slack grip and falls on her foot. The heavy shield cracks her foot, and she cries out in pain, dropping Kell’s corpse.

The three remaining soldiers look up from reloading their crossbows as Kell falls dead. Erd immediately throws down his unloaded crossbow and breaks from the triangle formation and runs up the stairs. Olson glances back at the sound of footsteps and shouts a curse at Erd’s retreating form. “Retreat!” Olson cries, as he and Rednick follow Erd up the stairs, slinging their crossbows on their backs as they go.
An explosion shakes the building, and you all can’t help grimace at eh sound. You worry about Ordal, and figure you had better keep moving as fast as you can.

Hostiles Information:

Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Roll #6

The soldiers gone, Nameless shakes his pick up the stairs at them, shouting obscene phrases at their retreating backs. He notices a small crystal flashing red in the wall, and he pushes it. It grinds back a few inches, and the flashing ceases. A few seconds later, the incessant noise of the alarm ceases. It’s too late, and the entire mine probably knows that something is wrong, but at least your ears will not have to suffer anymore. You do start getting worried, however. What kind of forces could even now be moving your way? You hope that the mineshaft is the only way down, so you won’t have to deal with soldiers at your backs.

Vitr(Thank you for not meta gaming!){9 – 1(Bonked Head) = 8} notices that the doorway into the large metal building is now open. Glancing around the cavern, and noticing for the first time that your companions are gone, you begin to walk towards it, shaking your head. Obviously this group is not yet so tight-knit that they would help a fallen member. With one last glance at the cavern, you stick your head through the door.

Greeted by the sight of Jayk kneeling with a small pool of blood around his right knee, numerous pieces of furniture, some overturned, and with bolts sticking out of them. You next see a random woman, her teeth bared and staring some distant point. Her hand seems badly burned, and the shoulder of her jumpsuit is burned off, revealing a disgusting, pulsing mass that is an angry, inflamed red. You identify that she needs help the most, and step inside. Seeing the rest of the gang down the hallway, you have a quick urge to show off, and fire a small ray down the hall. It crashes into the wall next to Gerrick, showering him with bits of metal, and he jumps and stares at you, along with Kreja. You flex your right hand. You feel as though you’re a bit more familiar towards firing off your strange rays.

Bending down, Nameless{ - (No roll needed, looting is a minor)} takes Kell’s shield from the floor near Kreja’s broken foot, and slings the strap attached to it over his shoulder. Satisfied that it won’t slip off, he begins the task of unstrapping Kell’s armor. It is quick and easy work, the armor attached with only easy-to-undo straps and buckles, and soon, Nameless is garbed in the same gear as Kell was. The helmet’s eye lens is shattered, and the helm itself is slick with blood, so you leave it off for now. If you do put the helm on, however, you assume that the other guards would assume you are one of them, a potentially handy tool. You tuck that knowledge away in your mental drawer, and watch the top of the staircase warily, making sure that no other guards appear to ambush your group.
From this way, at least.

Kreja{5 – 2(Pain) = 3} unstraps Kell’s belt, along with the attached sheath. She loops it over her neck and shoulder so that the sheath pokes a bit above her left shoulder. She then sticks her pick through the makeshift baldric so that the head catches snugly. Satisfied that the pick won’t fall out or injure herself if she must move quickly, she scoops up Kell’s sword. She sheaths the blade on her back and sits down across the wall cross-legged. Closing her eyes and opening her mind, she breaths in deeply and launches herself deep into her mind. Kreja immediately runs into a solid wall. Casting her mind along it, she searches for any cracks or seams.
None at all.
She flies her mental self as high as she can go, but still the wall stretches on upwards. oOpening her eyes, Kreja suppresses her disappointment. She hopes that the wall will dissipate soon enough, since Vitr’s strange new abilities sparked a kernel of envy inside her. She watches Nameless strap on his armor for a time, before getting up and walking back down the hallway to the others. Finding Jayk and Natania both clearly in pain, she wonders what she can do to help.
“Maybe water could douse Natania’s shoulder?” Kreja queries at Vitr.
“Where would we find water? I could blast off the part of her shoulder if it beigns to spread, but I would rather not. As for Jayk, if he cannot get that bolt out, his only hope would be for us to amputate it, before it gets infected, or worse. Who knows where that bolt has been?”

GM Note:

Natania{7 – 2 (Pain) = 5} croons an old healing song her mother taught her ,but it did nothing to take her mind off of her burning shoulder. She tries to meditate, but the pain is too great, she cannot concentrate. Focusing her gaze on a small crack on the far wall, she loses herself in it, trying to take her mind off the burning pain gnawing at her shoulder.

Gerrick{1 – 2(Foot in metal hole) – 1(Cut Leg) – 1(Pain) = 1} yanks his leg out of the hole, growls in pain, and limps over to the dropped crossbow. Picking it up, he hooks the small snag on its handle on his belt. Casting his gaze around, trying to ignore the fierce burning in his leg, Gerrick sees a piece of metal hanging off the wall across from him. It is of a medium thickness, and is probably sharp enough to create some good bolts. If its not sharp enough, you could sharpen them anyway. He limp over to it and, grasping it gingerly, gives it a good, hard yank.
The metal comes off in a great sheet, pulling with it a wooden beam that obviously was not in secure.
Too bad the beam secured the ceiling.
With a great, groaning sound, the section of ceiling collapses on Gerrick, burying him in large pieces of metal, wood and rock that made up the ceiling and structure. In the span of a few seconds, all Nameless can see of Gerrick is his left hand, protruding out of the large stack of items piled atop him. Vitr and Kreja come running, and you all stare at the pile, wondering if Gerrick is even still alive.

Underneath it all, a twist of fate caused a bit of rock to form a teepee with a sheet of metal above his head and midsection. His entire lower body is crushed, and Gerrick reckons, struggling through the intense pain emanating from his lower body, that he only has enough air to last a few minutes.
Well, at least your left leg injuries don’t matter anymore; you will be lucky if you can ever even walk again.

GM Note:

Jayk{1 – 3 = 1} grinds his teeth until he is worried they will be nothing but stumps, trying to do away with the pain. “This will hurt like hell. But I have no choice.”
Intending to pull the bolt out of his knee, he knows that first he will have to be able to reach it. Grabbing a nearby piece of metal that tapers down to a sharp point, you prepare to do the grisly work. You notice a faint red sheen to the metal, but you dismiss it as inconsequential.
You gently begin to pierce your skin, trying to create a hole where you can grip the side of the bolt. As soon as blood touches the piece of metal, it rips itself out of your grip and thrusts downward, going through your leg and the bone, severing it just above the knee, and burying itself deep into the floor. You stare at your severed leg, blood pumping out, before you fall unconscious, where the intense pain of your corporeal body cannot reach you.
With half of your group injured quite badly, the other three realize it would be futile to try to rescue Ordal with your number so diminished. Hopefully he can survive until you are all at least in some semblance of good health.
---------
Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Roll #7

As the clanging above increases its tempo, Vitr{2 – 3(Pain) = 1] focuses his mind on the sound, trying to block out the pain from his legs. A certain section of the clamor struck a chord within him, and in his mind’s eye he followed it deep within himself. He follows the trail, seeing that it leads to a mote of a shining, variegated blue. Suddenly, a lance of pain strikes him down, and his eyes snap open. Inside you, you feel a sort of turmoil. You don’t think that you will be able to search yourself for quite a while… and even then, it will be difficult. Both Jayk and Kreja look at you with concern as you come out of your mental search.
“I’m fine, tend to the others first.” Vitr tells them, trying to ignore the pain emanating from his legs.
“Very well.” Jayk says, but a cry from down the call steals their attention.
“HEY! Someone make me a wheelchair!” Gerrick’s{8 – 4{Pain} = 4} voice echoes down the hallway, but no one has the inclination to help him with the wheelchair. Jayk instead begins to pull himself towards Gerrick using his arms. “Better idea, I will heal you instead!”His voice strained with the effort of moving only with his arms, and one leg.

Down the hall,Nameless{3 – 1(Headache) = 2} lifts his head out of the cradle of his arms and watches Jayk crawl towards Gerrick with a bemused expression. Closing his eyes, Nameless pushes the pain of the headache out of his mind, and once more searches himself to try and learn an ability involving healing. Searching deep within himself, he ends in a pitch black room. In the middle floats an iridescent orb. Though it appears to glow, it illuminates none of the surrounding room. Striding confidently towards it, you reach out your hand-
And the full force of your headache crashes back into you. The orb winks out of existence, and you find yourself falling back into your worldly body. Opening your eyes, you find that your headache has stopped, but you have a sickening feeling that you will never be able to learn how to heal. You feel as though a part of your mind has been blocked off. You have a feeling that it can be healed, but only by someone who knows what they are doing with magic concerning the mind.

Her head lolling against the wall behind her, Natania{3} lies unconscious, wandering in her mind’s eye amidst her dreams. She sees the one from her childhood that had always plagued her, the one with the thorn and the old man. There is the one involving the sword, along with her father and mother, and, one of her happy dreams: Where the rabbit shows her how to fly. Thinking back on it, it really makes no sense, but that’s why it is a dream. Thinking back on the song her mother sang for her, she realizes that she was missing some crucial element… but what? The answer escapes her, and Natania decides to search within herself for the answer. Deep inside herself, she finds a place she has never been before: A locked door set against a wooden wall. Natania takes a step forward, intending to force the door open, she is pulled back into the waking world, as her body restarts itself. Wrenched away from the spiritual energy so abruptly, Natania worries that it may be difficult to attempt such a journey again. But the thought is pushed out of her mind, as the pain from her shoulder crushes all other thoughts that are not of it. You know you need to be healed soon, before this poison takes a permanent toll.
Other than the scarring, of course.

Kreja{8 – 2(Broken Foot) = 6} hobbles over to Vitr, snatching up a rock on the way. Crouching down on her left knee, she holds her right foot off the ground, and begins scraping the drying metal off of Vitr. It is surprisingly fun work, the meta –you know not what kind it is-peeling off in great sheets. Within a few minutes, you have freed Vitr off all the molten metal, revealing his badly burnt legs. You can see that they will heal, though. Releived by that thought, you take it upon yourself to practice your sword skills. If your group is attacked by more soldiers, it would do you good to know how to use this weapon. Limping to a clear space in the room, you begin swinging your sword around in simple movements, shuffling your feet as you do so. Though your broken foot prevents you from learning much, you do feel as though you have learned a bit. Taking a seat next to Vitr’s prone form, you give a sigh of relief as the weight is lifted off your broken foot.

Meanwhile, Jayk{7} has finally reached Gerrick. Placing his right hand on Gerricks pelvis, Jayk reaches inside himself for the restorative energy. It comes in a swift, easy flow, filling him with a warm feeling as the rope snakes it’s way through your body, which acts as a conduit between Gerrick and your Mark. You wonder if the warm feeling could melt ice, or, with training, more solid materials. Suddenly, the energy flow cuts off, your distracting thoughts having misdirected the flow. Looking down at Gerrick, you see that while you have not healed all his wounhds, you have reformed his legs so that he can now walk again, though not without pain. He no longer appears to be in pain either, you note with a pleased expression. You have not done all you had hoped for, but you have done enough.

The clanging suddenly reaches a crescendo that causes all of you to look up, Nameless, Jayk and Gerrick all walk back to the room to see what is happening, Gerrick leaning heavily on the two.
Suddenly, there is shouting, and the clash of swords against some other metal. You hear someone shout:
”Move, you incompetent fool!”

The clanging stops, and, two seconds later, a large section of the metal roof peels back, crumpling itself against its left side. Immediately a man jumps through the hole, followed by two women. Then one more person jumps through, garbed in a brown cloak with a black stripe that conceals their entire body, and a hood with an opaque veil obscuring the persons face, except for their eyes. The person straightens, looks back at the ceiling, and waves its arm across it. The crumpled metal immediately shoots back to its original position, but not before a soldier tries to jump through.

His midsection is severed by the metal, and a shriek is heard as the mans lower body falls to the floor of your room with a thud, blood spraying as it collides with the unyielding metal floor.
Suddenly, you all recognize the other man as Ordal, and the two other women are garbed in the same jumpsuits you all are. Ordal, however, is wearing a dark grey corselet, with a drawn longsword. The two women grasp pickaxes similar to yours.

“Greetings, my friends.” Ordal rumbles, his thick beard and heavy features somehow coexisting with the rather light tone of voice he speaks in.

“Ordal!” Natania manages through her pain. Ordal looks at her with concern, then hands Kreja, the closest person to him, a small glass vial with a clear liquid inside.

“Give this to her.” He murmurs. ”She won’t last long otherwise.”

Kreja accepts the vial with a nod, and opens her mouth to speak, but Ordal has already turned away. ”This is Sala, and her sister Reyna.” He says, pointing to the two women in turn, who both nod at each of you, Sala giving a tired smile. He then turns to the other man, who had walked to the mouth of each hall and, with a wave of his hand, sealed each entrance with a thick layer of metal. “This… this is Talvik. He is one of the Metal Casters who was captured while traveling with me and my squad.”

Talvik gives a bow, then pulls down his veil, revealing a deeply tanned face and hard, though far from ugly features. Seeing Natania’s shade of skin, similar to his own, he touches his small finger to his chin and says: “May you find Tuniac this day.” To which Natania responds as best she can: with a small nod.
Noticing Vitr’s white hand, as well as Jayk’s stump of leg, he inquires what happened.

“We have discovered that there is a certain power within us that allows us to… access certain abilities.” Jayk says, careful not to say too much about what exactly they are capable of, still not explicitly trusting Ordal.
Clearly unsatisfied, Ordal does seem pleased. “I knew it…” He murmurs to himself, before saying to all of you: “Seems that I was right to come down here for you five! Now, I have much to ask you, as well as I am sure you all have much to ask me as well, but now is not the time. We must get to the Upper Mines before all the elevators are closed off.”

“How?” Gerrick asks. “Is this elevator not the only one near here?”

“No. There is one that we control currently, a few hours walk from here. It was our first place to seize, ever since the Break started a few hours ago. Can all of you walk?” Seeing a few grimace at the thought of walking, and Natania clearly in no state to, Ordal utters a curse. He inspects Gerrick’s wounds first, then hands him a small, triangular jar filled with a purple liquid. He hands a container with a disgusting-looking yellow liquid inside it to Vitr, and then hands another container to Kreja, this one with a black liquid filling it.

“I have gone through great lengths to get these potions, so please drink them quickly, then follow me.”

You have 1 turn to finish up any business here, before the setting will be changed.

All the other halls out of the room have been closed off.

Character Information:

GM Note:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Roll #8

“-so please drink them quickly, and follow me.” Ordal says, looking at you all expectantly

Gerrick{-} (No roll required, action is a minor), not feeling like going against such a blatant order, quickly quaffs the potion. Immediately a sharp pain pierces you, straight down to your soul. You worry for an instant that Ordal has betrayed you, but then the pain evaporates as quickly as it came. You stay slumped in your chair that the others had deposited you in for a few moments, before, with a sharp crack, your broken arm straightens itself out, and you lower body tingles all over. You massage both your arm and your legs, checking to see if they were really fully healed. They were.
You stare up at Ordal, gratitude in your eyes.

“Thank you, sir! May your potions always stay in ready supply!” Gerrick quips, pocketing the small, empty jar. It could be useful.

“Don’t count on it,” Ordal replies, “That’s all I had.”

Vitr{5}, seeing Gerricks new, healed form, immediately drains the jar he holds, grimacing past the pain his injuries still cause him. Savouring its sweet taste, it reminds you of your mother’s pies, back home. You wonder how she, and the rest of your family, are doing for a moment, before the same brief pain that lanced Gerrick strikes you. You gasp, but the pain is already gone. A tingling sensation soon slowly comes into being over your legs, but especially in your head. After a long moment, you feel new skin replacing the old on your legs, and the wall of energy that was erected in your mind comes crumbling down. With a smile and a nod to Ordal, you jump up, flexing your legs. You figure that now would be a good time to practice your strange, but useful ability. What secrets could it hold?

You pull back your hand, preparing to fire one off, when Talvik snatches your wrist and yanks it down to the floor. Without a word, you twist your wrist and pull your arm back towards you, breaking his grip. He is stronger than you would think, since he is around the same height as you, and you figured that all he did was wave his arms around to work his magic. Fixing Talvik with a piercing glare, he gazes at you impassively, unimpressed.

“Do not. This building is already too unstable. I can feel the metal… it is taxed to its limit. We fought a Metal One above, and it fired off numerous explosive… things… before we could finish it off. If one of your explosions hits the building at the wrong point, it may all come crashing down.”

Accepting his answer, but not his action, you pointedly walk a few steps away.

Kreja{8}, her inhibitions about the potion removed after carefully observing both Gerrick and Vitr, tosses the clear liquid to Natania, who manages through her pain to catch it. You take a few prudent hops away from the soldiers blood and spilled organs, not wanting to stain your boots; you don’t know how water-proof(in this case, blood-proof) these horrid-quality boots you were supplied with are. Quickly downing the drink, you experience the same as the other two, before you hear a crack in your broken foot, and feel the walls in your mind fall. Smiling slightly-the expression does not come easy to you- you sit down cross-legged, and search your mind- the vast, unexplored reaches of your mind- for new powers. You fly through a field, made from verdant globes of light, for what seems like ages. Finally, tiring from the act of willing yourself forward, you let yourself drop into the nearest sphere.
You are immediately encased in shadow. At first you think your eyes are closed; a few rapid blinks later resolved that thought. Fear grips you-or atleast it would. This is your own mind, and you are the master. You hold out your hand and will the shadows into it. They comply slowly, not knowing what you intend. Baring your teeth, you send out a mental blast that effortlessly sweeps them into your palm. You now stand on top of the same globes you just flew over, their emerald shade entrancing you for a moment. You stare at the ball of shadows in your hand, then on an impulse, will them into a blade form. They immediately whip around, sending long tendrils of shadow flicking out, before coalescing into a short , pitch-black dagger. You cannot make out any details, such is the shade of black, and you suddenly fall back into your body.

You stand up and watch everyone around you. You hold out your hand and once again will the shadows into your palm. The shadows of the room fly towards you, stopping in your palm. The room is immediately a stranger place, all the shadows having flown into your hand, giving everything a slight flat appearance. Everyone looks to you in alarm, as the shadows turn into a ball, then, at your command, flow into a dagger, which you send into the wall across from you. It sticks in the wall right up to its hilt, before dissolving, flooding the room with shadows once more. You inspect the wall, and find a perfect slice right through it.
Nice. What else is your power capable of?

Jayk{6} watches Kreja in amazement. Immediately filled with a desire to improve your own powers, you announce your intentions to everyone, then sit down and delve into the portion of your mind devoted to it. You had felt the small section in a corner of your mind as soon as you woke up from that strange incident with the Nine foot man… you really must investigate that. He seemed like someone important. But, really, who grows to be nine feet tall! He could have been your imagination.
Breaching the walls of the cordoned off area, you realize that it is a globe. Neat! The only object you see in front of you is a large rock. You could have laid down on it with your feet just touching the end, though it rose only to your waist. It is a perfect rock, you decide, it’s gray form flecked with small dark chunks, as well as small, lighter pieces. But a large crack mares the rock, splitting one of its ends. You walk over to it, purpose showing in your stride, before kneeling down and placing your palm on the crack, joining the two sides together with you fingers. You channel the energy from your solar plexus out, feeling it run through you in its hot cord. You open your eyes a moment later, and see the rock perfect once more, its crack mended seamlessly. With a satisfied smile, you wake. Getting up, you stride over to Talvik.

"Excuse me, Talvik was it? I don't enjoy imposing on someone else, but could I persuade you to fashion a prosthetic leg, a crutch, or something else to help me walk? We'd be slowed down that much less if I didn't have to crawl or hop."

Talvik eyes you for a moment, before nodding.

“I will, for the good of the group. Know this though; nothing I do, I do for free.”

He waves his hand, and the metal underneath Jayk’s stump shoots up, grasping his stump. The metal turns liquid, and molds itself into the exact shape his leg looked like before. Talvik waves his hand once more, and the excess metal folds back into the floor. Jayk moves his leg around in a few basic movements, the hardened metal acting and bending just as a real leg would. You nod your thanks.

Natania{7} didn’t see much of what was happening in the room; in fact, it was sheer luck that she had caught the potion. Unaware if it was good for you, or some horrible poison, you drain the container, your only thought to eliminate the pain. Just as the others had, you get the pain spike, followed by the soothing tingle. As you feel your skin heal itself, and the pain slipping away, you cannot help but smile. You jump up, beaming, and let out a clear laugh. Everyone stares at you; none of them ahd heard a laugh for some time, but you don’t feel embarrassed: you thought you were going to die, or at the very least, lose use of your shoulder and arm. Sitting down, your elation slightly subdued, you exhale, and search your mind for the key to the memory you had lost. Soaring through your memories, you see so many that you remember, and others that your mind blocked for your own good. One of these draws you in, and you find yourself in a dark room, alone except for your mother, sitting in a chair across a table from you, watching you intently.

“The key to learning the art,” She is saying, “Is to let your voice flow. Feel it move your heart; your soul. The truth that few know is that you do not need a song to work it. If you allow the sound to access your mind, whatever you want to, will happen. Now, finally, the part you have been waiting for.”

“Mother, please… I have not been waiting for any part!”

“You cannot trick me, love. You just want to know how to use the Song!” Your mother laughs: a beautiful, tinkling sound, similar to the one you had let loose in the room back where your body was.
“I was the same, at your age. Don’t worry, in time you will recognize that what I just told you is truly the more valuable part. Anyway, to access the Song…”

But the memory fades away, and as your eyes open, you feel as though it was blocked because of a traumatic incident. You know that your mother is dead, along with your father, and brothers.
What you don’t know is how. You are missing a key part of the memory, but you are almost there...

Nameless{3} watches the others successes, and feels as though he is due for some sort of ability. Closing his eyes, he sways from side to side, trying to access his mind. However, he sways a bit too powerfully, and falls hard on his left shoulder, bruising it badly. You get up, searching angrily for someone who would have pushed you, but no one is near you. When you try to move your left arm, your shoulder screams in protest. You feel as though it would be smart not to use your left arm for a bit.

You all turn and follow Ordal out as he leaves without a word, passing you all a small stone that glows with a soft light
You all walk for hours, following Ordal through large caverns, and small tunnels. There is no incidents, though every once and a while, a denizen of the deep that you stumble across flees from your light. None of you have any desire to speak, so it comes as a surprise when Ordal stops a few steps from a bend in a tunnel, and turns to all of you.

“Stones, please.” You all pass him back his glowing rocks, which he drops into a pouch at his belt.
“We are close to the elevator we have captured. Before we go, I would like to answer any questions that you all may have, while we still have time. It will be chaotic in the Upper Mines, and I want you all to go up there trusting me implicitly.”

Discussion now on. It will go until you all agree that you have asked the necessary questions, or until Ordal feels that you have spent too much time.

NPC Unanswered Questions/Others
-None currently

If you have all been paying attention, you will know that there is a multitude of topics to broach.

Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Roll #9

Not waiting for any other cue, Kreja immediately begins firing off questions:
“What is Soul Rock? What properties does it have? Why is it so valuable?”
“She does not bandy about with words; I like that.” Talvik quips.
Ordal glances around at all of you. “I hardly think this is the time to speak of this…”
“Please, Ordal? This could be extremely useful knowledge to share.” Natania says

Persuasion: Rolling D6

Ordal nods.
“Very well. But do not bandy this knowledge about; it could have catastrophic consequences.
"Soul Rock is, essentially, magic. Magic solidified into a corporeal form. Those who know how to properly access it can either absorb it, giving them a greater knowledge of the breed of magic that rests within the rock, or store it for use in a spell, or enchanting later. The spell would become super charged with power; few could withstand a blast from a “Soul Spell” as they are called. Artifacts of power are exclusively created by Soul Spells, since it gives items a measure of power that no average enchanting could do.

“It is valuable because magic only congeals into its solid form if it is incredibly old. Do you know how difficult it is for magic to last old enough without being used in a spell or other magical task?”Ordal shakes his head. “Old enough that it barely ever happens. If you ever find any Soul Rock, treasure it and let no one else see it. People would kill for such a powerful item.”

Not allowing Ordal any time to rest, Kreja begins her assault of words once more.
“The name of one of your party is the same as the name of this mine. Any connection?”

Ordal looks at you, obviously a bit perturbed at your direct questions. “No. there is no connection at all.”
Everyone else, including Kreja, and Talvik, look at Ordal curiously; he obviously is not a good liar.
Reyna, on the other hand, looks a bit worried.

“Ordal…” Kreja begins to speak.

Persuasion: Rolling D6

Wow…:

“-We need to know everything if we are to get out of here alive. You hiding important facts from us could end up being the very thing that kills us all.”

Ordal looks at you, suspicion in his eyes. Apparently, despite him leading you all blindly out of here, asking for your blind trust, he has none for you yet.

“Fine. Reyna is not Sala’s sister,” You all glance at Sala, who is nodding. She seems to have known this already. “She is a Swren, a spirit conjuring. I bound her to this Mine, and she adopted its name, as she must. Once I will it, the spirit will pass on, and this entire mining complex will collapse.

“She is my trump card, but as a bound spirit, she has no powers, and if she dies without being released by me, then the mine will not fall. We need the mine to fall. So protect her with your life.”
Reyna gives a small smile to all of you, seeming very frail and delicate.

Kreja tries to disguise her smile: Is there anything she asks that Ordal will not answer?
“How did you come to be here? Who were you before you came to be here?”

Ordal fixes you with a glare.
“I will tell you that when it is important!”

You prepare to attempt to persuade him again, but it is obvious that he will not be swayed, and you close your mouth for a moment, gathering your next questions.

Persausion not high enough to attempt.

Nodding, you continue.

“How can we learn magic? What is it about these caves that allows us to find new powers through meditation?"
“You can learn magic two ways, little sprasha.” Talvik says, as Ordal glances at him. “The first way is to find a teacher. This is the safest route, and you will learn much faster for it. The second way is to try and learn a spell yourself. I do not recommend this, as most that try it, die. I do not know the practice spell for Terralius, or the Elementalists, but for Metalcasting, try to manipulate and shape a small piece of metal.

“Or, I could just teach you. But now is not the time. Not to mention that it will cost you. Which reminds me…” Talvek turns to Jayk. “In return for creating you that new leg, I want your Sessimic Blade.” He points at the weapon that Jayk has been unable to unsheathe.

“You did not answer my second question.” Kreja states.

Ordal runs a hand through his hair. “Well…”

“Must we go through this again?” Kreja asks.

Persuasion: rolling D6

“No, we do not need to, because I will not tell you right now. It would take too long to explain. However, it is not the caves that allow you to do that. More, I will not say until we get out of these mines.”

Kreja frowns at Ordal, about to make him give an answer, but Gerrick steps infront of you and begins asking his own questions.

"What is the break that you said happened a few hours ago? What did you mean when you said 'You knew it'?"
“The Break is shorthand for the rebellion in the mines. As we speak, the miners and other prisoners are fighting their way up above us to get out. Some may already have made it out. And we need to move fast. If we are the last, we will end up going through the legions of guards all alone, and that is not an ordeal we will survive.
“Your second question is about the same as Kreja’s other, and I will not be answering it until later.”

Persuasion: Cannot attempt,same topic failed earlier in roll.

Gerrick fixes Ordal in a frown similar to Kreja’s, but Ordal stares him down until Jayk begins asking the questions that have plagued him thus far.

"What can you tell me about this dagger? What should we expect when we go up? Chaos like disorder or chaos like there's still fighting going on?"

Talvik answers before Ordal can even open his mouth.

“That dagger, your Sessimic Blade, is a weapon made out of Sessimic, a metal that is very easy to manipulate by us Metalcasters. Essentially, it is a dagger compared to a war hammer in how quickly we can shape it compared to other metals, but no less deadly for it. That sheath is enchanted so that only a Metalcaster can draw it, so it is useless to you. Oh, and I demand it as my payment for your leg.”

“As for your other questions,” Ordal begins.” Once we are up there, we can expect a lot of running. I wager that the guards and prisoners have divided into separate groups to escape and stop the escapees, so there will be a lot of group combat. The Upper Mines, as you all know, are a veritable warren of tunnels, caverns, and crevasses, so we must be on our guard so we are not ambushed. I would say that there will be both chaos as disorder, and chaos as in fighting. We do not want to miss this chance to escape.”

Satisfied, Jayk steps back to contemplate whether to give his Sessimic Blade to Talvik, though by Talviks reckoning he has no choice.

It is Vitr’s turn, and he wastes no time.
"You mentioned a hard battle against a Metal One...yet we managed to essentially "free" two earlier. Was there anyone speaking to the Metal One telling it what to do? If more are like the first two we encountered, they don't HAVE to be killed..."

Ordal stares at you, but Talvik nods, obviously knowing what you are talking about.
“There was another Metalcaster somewhere in the Upper Mines controlling it. Sadly, I knew not where he was, so we had to kill the Metal one.”

“Wait… what? How come you have not told me that they are merely being controlled!” Ordal almost shouts at Talvik, who fixes him with a fierce scowl.

“It was not important. Now you know, anyway. Try to kill anyone of importance near a creation of metal, and it will be freed. That is no guarantee that it will stop attacking you, though.”

Natania steps forward, and in her straightforward fashion, spews her questions forth.
“Do you know how to unlock memories? What are we going to do once we get out? Is there hideout? Do you have plan?”

“No, I have not a clue how. I would guess to look within yourself for the answer, since it is your own memory.” Ordal replies. “If we exit where I hope to, we will be in Rathmut Valley. Since it is winter, the entire place will be covered in snow. We will need warm clothes before we leave this place, and then we will exit the valley through a pass directly across from this mine. We will head to a hideout, yes. A place where we can hide from the swarms of guards trying to recapture us. So, yes, I do have a plan.”

Everyone else’s questions exhausted, Nameless steps forward.
“Can you teach me how to make fireballs?”
Ordal stares at him.” I am not a fan of humour, boy, and this is not the place for it even if I was.”
He looks at all of you. “Any more questions? After this, we will move out.”
One turn until end of discussion.

NPC Unanswered Questions/Others
-Talvik demands Jayks Sessimic Blade as payment.
- Do you question Ordals lack of information on your powers and his past?

Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Roll #10

“Yeah, I think we all have a few more questions.” Gerrick replies somewhat brusquely.
“Then state them, so I can answer, and we can get a move on.” Ordal says.
“First, did you conjure Reyna?”
“No. That job was handled by another, an outside player in this conflict, you might say.”

Somewhat surprised, Gerrick nevertheless asks his second question. “How was she bound to this mine, then?”
“I know not. I am a warrior, not a mage. You will have to ask one more knowledgeable in the art.”
Talvik bobs his head towards Gerrick, saying, “A spirit is bound through complex glyphs and intricate rituals, depending on the type of spirit, and its power. It is something you will not understand unless you take the time to study the art.”

“Very well. Lastly, do either of you know how to access Soul Rock, in order to absorb it?”
Ordal shakes his head, and Talvik looks at Gerrick somewhat warily. “I do not believe that now is the time for such things. Later, perhaps. Once we are out of this mine.”

Persuasion: Cannot attempt; poor timing.

Natania takes a step forward, and asks Ordal: “Do you have a map of the mine?”
“Not on me, however there is one up above, in the room where the elevator will take us. We will discuss our plan once we are up there.”

“Will Rathmut Valley have school for teaching any sort of art? Is there a way to disguise ourselves once outside or just steal from storage if we ever find one?” Natania continues.

“Rathmut Valley is a heavily forested area. So, no. Other than the Mine Towers, as well as the North Gate, there are no buildings in Rathmut Valley. However, once out of the gate, we will continue North, and up the pass at the end of the valley, near where we will turn off to my hideout, is the small village of Rosenbark. I would prefer to avoid it, however, since that will be the first place that guards from the mine will look, not to mention that Rosenbark exists purely for guards who are off their shifts to go to and get drunk. But there is a School of Crafting in the village, to teach those who come to the mine for forging tools, armor, and other items. If any of you stop there, it will be without me, since I will be taking whoever remains among us who is willing to my hideout.

“As for disguises, I figure that we will filch some from the storeroom that is near the North Gate. Similar to his,” Ordal jerks his thumb at Nameless and his worn guard armor. “But ones that don’t actually look like we killed the guard who had worn it before. Still, if you stand with your back to a guard, Nameless, you could probably trick someone.”

Nameless casts his gaze at Talvik, waiting until Talvik meets his gaze. Once he finally does, Nameless asks: “Can you teach me Metalcasting?”

Talvik looks at him, a bit surprised. “I can, but it will cost you. I would also prefer to refrain from any teaching until our lives are not in immediate danger. Ask me once we are at Ordal’s little hidey-hole, and if we can make a deal, we will get started.”

Vitr waves his hand in the air a moment to get Ordal’s attention, before saying: “Do you know the benefits of my White Hand? Am I more prone to damage from certain magic, or vice versa? Does it have any benefits or restrictions?”

“Well, Vitr, I can’t say that I have ever so much as seen another with a White Hand, much less know anything about it. As for its benefits, have you not already shown us? Firing an explosive beam from your hand is definitely something I would consider a benefit.”

Nodding his head, Vitr opens the question floor for Jayk, who wastes no time.
“Is there any hope of finding better weapons than these pickaxes? I am pretty sure that our chances of survival would go up with some more appropriate weapons.”

“Do not underestimate those picks, Jayk. They may be unwieldy, but they do the job. I do agree, however, and am sorry to say that other than the storeroom near the North Gate, we will have to take whatever weapons we can find.”

Turning to Talvik, Jayk addresses him, handing him the Sessimic Blade as he does so:
"Trading a weapon I cannot use for the ability to move under my own power without assistance again is an acceptable trade to me. However, as my prosthetic is metal, I may need to repair or maintain it in the future.
Talvik, would you accept me as your apprentice in Metalcasting? What would you ask in exchange for teaching me?"

Taking the blade and buckling it to the belt around his waist, he says: “I would prefer to speak of this with you and Nameless both once we are safe and sound. As to what I would accept… I’m sure I can think of something.”

Then Kreja takes a step forward, commanding everyone’s attention. Sala and Reyna, however, quickly whisper something to Ordal, who motions with his hand, and Sala runs off down the bend.
“Yes?” Ordal asks.

"Where are the points of interest in the mine? Guardrooms? Storerooms? Armories? Checkpoints? Chokepoints? Common areas? Is there any advice you have for us before we take this elevator to the chaos above?"

“Points of interest I will talk to you about once we get the map. Advice for you would be to stay together. If we get separated, we will probably be killed, whether by guards or scared miners."

Looking up, Ordal addresses you all. “Lets go! We have spent enough time here!”

Following him around the bend, you all exit the tunnel into a rather small, but high, cavern. A small river gurgles slowly through the middle of it, and a slim metal structure that reaches from the floor through hole in the ceiling is the only man-made thing in the cavern. Sala stands at the base of the tall tower, her thumb on a small metal disc. Soon enough, a grey metal box, inscribed with large runes on each of its sides, glides soundlessly down the tower, stopping smoothly on the floor.

“Everyone in!” Ordal calls, leading the way. You all pile your way into the box, which quickly becomes quite crowded. Sala enters last, squeezing between Nameless and Jayk, and slides the door shut. Ordal pushes a small grey disc identical to the one outside, and the box quickly rises. The box has no windows, and you all begin to pant as the air becomes stuffy. Soon after though, the door slides open, and you all tumble out into a circular chamber cluttered with uncomfortable-looking furniture. A table curves its way along the back side of the wall behind you all, and a closed door directly ahead of you seems to be the only way out. Walking to the table at the back, cluttered with various pieces of junk, Ordal sweeps them off, revealing a map built into the table.

It shows where you all are, in a small side chamber just off a large tunnel labeled "North Way" Numerous side tunnels protrude from the side of North Way, which are then peppered with more side tunnels. Small caverns on th map are frequently marked with "Guard Quarters", "Storage", "Forge", and others. At the end of North Way, and the end of the map, obviously showing only a small part of the massive mining complex, is a drawing of a large gate.

Map removed

“Observe it. My plan is to cut along the side passages here,” Ordal marks a line on the map, close to where you are now, that twist their way up towards the North Gate, with a stick of charcoal scavenged from the floor. “And continue through his passage here. We raid this storeroom, cross the chasm, and then slip out the North Gate, which should be blown by now, thanks to my friend Grassen and his gang. Any questions?”

Discussion now over.

Leaving in One Turn.

Character Information:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Roll #11

“Any questions?” Ordal’s catechizing tone echoes around the room.

“Not really.”Kreja{10} replies, leaning forward to get a better look at the map. What great quality! Whoever drew this must have been quite an artist. Turning around, she scans the room, looking for a comfortable chair. None are seen, so, settling for the least-uncomfortable one, she sits down and closes her eyes. Pushing the uncomfortable feeling of hard wood against her back and behind, Kreja inhales deeply, then exhales. Inhale…exhale…

Losing herself in her mind, Kreja once more falls into the sphere of darkness. But this time, she senses that she is not alone.

A great creature of shadow rears before her, it’s black shade deeper than regular shadow. No eyes are distinguishable, but a great clawed hand is, reaching towards you, clawed fingers outstretched. Raising your hand, you open the door in your mind that gives you control over shadow. Instantly, the creature is sucked into it, along with the rest of the shadows in the sphere.
You are shadows master; it belongs to you.

Opening your eyes, you realize how much more you can suddenly accomplish with shadows. A sense of…learning, perhaps? Floats about in your mind. You prepare to show the rest of your group, but stop. Perhaps this would be a handy ace to conceal up your sleeve if you are betrayed.

Vitr{4} walks over to the map. Looking it over, he then walks a short distance away with the intent to improve his White Hand. What powers could this do? What abilities do you have access to, though this? Eager to improve, Vitr does not notice a broken chair on the floor, and trips over it, sprawling on the ground. A loud CRUNCH sounds as you land, and you know that your glass container is no longer among the living.
Getting up, you carefully dig the glass out of your pouch, and heave a sigh. That could have been a useful item…

Nameless{7} gives a small chuckle at Vitr’s fall, before looking at the map himself. Satisfied he knows it, he begins searching around the room, overturning numerous pieces of furniture and sifting through piles of paper, searching for something… anything, he could scavenge. As he pushes over a small piece of rubble, a glint catches his eye. Under a piece of paper, there is a skinny, but long and sharp, piece of metal. You slide it through your belt, careful not to cut yourself, since there is not safe way to hold it. You don’t know what type of metal it is. Maybe Talvik could tell you?
Either way, it’s sure to be useful.

Gerrick{10 – 2(Learning Magic without instructor) = 8} walks away from the map, and takes a seat on a table, since it looks more comfortable than most of the chairs (except for the one Kreja is on). Not knowing what to do to even begin learning Terralius, you focus your attention on a large chunk of stone that must have pierced the metal wall ages ago. Staring at it, you harden your gaze and focus on ripping it out of the wall. Suddenly, something clicks in your head, and you suddenly feel one with the stone… no, you ARE the stone. Your skin is hard, and you are ageless. Your pores are deep caverns one could lose themselves in. You are stone; you were here before all else.

Just as suddenly, you lose the connection, and feel yourself again. Missing the feeling of stone somewhat, you nevertheless reach out your hand towards the stone, and then yank your hand back towards your chest.
With a grating sound, the chest-sized piece of rock falls out of the wall and to the ground, crashing to the floor with a frightfully loud sound, and causing everyone else to jump, other than Sala, who had been watching you curiously.

“Impressive, boy.” Talvik rumbles. “Not many can learn a magic on their own.”
You look around the room, savouring the expressions of surprise the everyone else is wearing. Ordal, however, is looking at you with an odd expression on his face; as if he is wondering how he can now use you.

Natania{8}, casting a quick admiring look at Gerrick and his new power, quickly bounds over to the map. Grabbing a piece of paper from the floor, along with a piece of white chalk lying on the table, she flips the paper to its reverse side, where there is not writing, and quickly scrawls down the map. Pocketing it, she then searches around the room for one of those glowing stones that Ordal had, or a lamp. Realizing that the light in the room has to come from somewhere, Natania scans the ceiling. Spotting a discolored section of rock, she climbs on a chair and prods at it with her finger. To her surprise, it goes right through. Sticking the rest of her hand through the illusion of rock, she feels something warm and fist-sized. Pulling on it, a small click sounds, and her hand comes down grasping a glow-stone that radiates a soft yellow light. Immediately the lighting in the room changes, darkening and casting shadows of Natania’s fingers that grasped the stone on the wall. Everyone stares at her, Talvik grumbling a bit; apparently he does not like the dark very much.

“Smart, Nat.” Gerrick says, grinning. Everyone else more or less agrees. There is no telling if the torches and other sources of light in the mines are still lit.

With a smile, Natania goes to pocket it, but stops. The room would be pitch black if she did! Switching it to her left hand instead, Natania scans the room for a pouch. Finding one on the table with the map, she hops down from the chair and scoops it up. Tying it to her belt, she leans against the table, and watches the others.

Jayk{6} searches around the room the same way Nameless did, hunting for useful items. Finding nothing but a small pack of food under a table, he notices Ordal has a somewhat worried expression on his face.
“What’s wrong?” Jayk asks, walking over.

“We have no food. I am kicking myself now for forgetting… out of the mines, it is a two-day hike to my place. If we don’t want to be caught, we must move quickly, something we cannot do without provisions.”
Raising his voice, Ordal addresses the whole group. “We will need to search the buildings in the Crevasse for food. If you find any while we are traveling along these tunnels, please hold on to it. Now, if everyone is finished, let’s go.”

You all file out of the building, and emerge into a rather large cavern, dotted with massive mushrooms growing out of the floor, at least twice the height of Ordal. Small glow-stones embedded in the ceiling light your way, and Ordal unerringly leads you all to the side of the cavern. A tunnel entrance opens there, the same grey-brown shade of rock that the cavern is. Instead of glow-stones, torches dot the walls at regular intervals, leaving the place rather well lit.

“In we go.” Talvik says with a sigh, as Ordal leads the way into the cavern.
You all walk for many minutes, the only sound your breathing and footsteps, so it comes as a shock when you all see a tunnel that curves off of this one ahead. Voices and shouts echo down the tunnel, and the sound of running feet.

Ordal pushes Reyna to the back of the group, Sala taking up a position in front of her. The tunnel is wide enough for the rest of you to stand side by side, so you all do, Ordal drawing his longsword, and the rest of you hefting your picks. Talvik just stands there, watching the tunnel.

“Why don’t we just run by?” Kreja queries, questioning the wisdom of preparing to attack whatever comes out of the tunnel.

Ordal looks at her. “Be my guest. You and anyone else can run on if you wish. I know my way. I will not continue on with potential enemies at my back, however, and if you leave, you would be wise to take Natanias map with you.”

The sounds echo closer.

----------------------------------
Character Information:

Map of North Reyna Mine:
Removed map from last roll. It is now in a spoiler at the bottom, but I would appreciate it if you guys only look at it if you are with Natania. (AKA, no meta-gaming please!)
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Roll #12

“I say we stay.” Kreja interjects, her sentiment quickly followed by Natania , Vitr, and Jayk. Everyone else is too busy preparing for the coming party to pay any attention.

“I don’t like the idea of running out of food… perhaps there is a building nearby with a guaranteed food supply nearby?” Natania queries at Ordal, looking worried at the prospect of starvation and dehydration.

“Check the map. There may be large amounts of food in the storehouse we are raiding, but that’s not definite. The one place there is sure to be food is in the Guards Main Quarters, but if you want to go there, you go alone. I won’t take the risk of being recaptured in here any longer than I have to, not to mention the uprising is even now being crushed.”

Nameless{2}, in preparation for the coming group, readies his pick and brings his shield up into a ready position quickly and efficiently.

Perhaps too quickly.

With a great clang, a low-hanging stalactite carves a deep furrow in the shield, its point puncturing it entirely at the end even as its point snaps off. Nameless wrenches his shield back down and examines it with dismay. With a dent like that, as well as the hole, it may still work, but it won’t be as nearly as effective as it once was.

The sounds of approaching people stop, and Nameless takes the opportunity to pull out the metal he had found earlier. Beckoning Talvik over, he asks:
“Talvik, can you recognize what type of metal this is?”

Talvik lifts it out of your hand and stares at it with a critical gaze. Handing it back to you, he says:
“It is Mansine. Soft, brittle, and easily sharpened. It is almost exclusively used to forge weapons that will only be used one time, for assassinations or the like, since it can be sharpened to an incredible level, but is prone to be damaged or broken.”

Nodding his thanks, Nameless tucks it away behind his belt once more.

Wow:
Kreja{10 – 2 (Learning Magic without a teacher) + 1(Residual Magic) = 9) also takes advantage of the lull in noise, immediately turning around to face the left wall of the tunnel directly.

I have conquered shadow, now I will conquer you. She thinks, glaring at the stone, willing it to change itself in accordance with her wishes. Her mind strikes out at the stone, slipping into its pores. She takes a mental hold on it, and gives a great yank.

A chest-sized chunk of stone slides off the wall and lands in front of Kreja with a thud and a crack as it strikes the stone floor. Everyone looks at her, and Talvik merely shakes his head, wondering why these people seemed to have such a talent for that which is normally impossible without a teacher.

“I always figured you were a rock-head. Appears as though you are more kin with the stone than I had first thought!” Gerricks attempt at humor fizzles with a flat look from Kreja, and Ordal buries his head in his palm with a sigh.

Kreja turns back to the stone, feeling as though she is close to learning more about it. Prodding at her mental barriers, to no effect, she sighs, resolving to try again soon. Turning back towards the tunnel, she draws her sword and takes a ready stance.

I really should practice more with this, Kreja thinks, looking at Ordal’s effortless stance and flawless way of holding his sword, compared to her own less-than-pefect grip. Shuffling her feet to mimic Ordal’s stance, she moves her attention back to the tunnel.

Vitr{8}, thinking on how to procure more weapons, suddenly remembers something that there was a forge on the map. Tapping Natania on her shoulder and holding out his hand, he quietly asks to see her map. Unrolling the paper, he scans the map, double checking for the forges area. Spotting them, he walks over to Ordal.
“Was there not a forge on the map?” Vitr conspicuously holds the map out to Ordal, his left index finger tapping the massive cavern housing the forges.”Shouldn’t we go there to see if we can find better weapons, better ones than our swords?”

Ordal looks at the map, then you, tapping the first intersection along the marked route. “Here is where we are. Truly, it is not a long trek. But the forges are sure to be heavily guarded, perhaps even now being attacked by other miners. It would be a dangerous mission, with potentially no gain to come from it if they have already been taken.

“As I said before, if you want to break off, go ahead. The others and I will meet you near the North Gate, if you do. But do not take too long. If I have to collapse the mine before you are with us, I will.”

Turning away and handing the map back to Natania, Vitr figures that he will bring the topic up with the rest after this approaching group is dealt with. Raising his white hand, Vitr fills it with energy, feeling the glyph begin to warm as a small, almost imperceptible hum fills the air around it.

Natania{2} searches around the immediate area behind the group, worried at the prospect of no food or water. Her glow-stone held high, her attention is caught by a strange discolored spot on the wall, and she doesn’t notice a loose stone on the floor. One thing led to another, and soon the glow stone is sailing through the air, colliding with the wall of the tunnel a few feet away.

With an intense burst and a shwok!, the glow-stone goes up with a blaze of fire, and a small shockwave ripples along the walls of the cave.

Staring dumbly ahead of her, Natania soon realizes that she actually cannot see a thing, her vision dominated by whiteness.

“My eyes!” Her screech echoes down the tunnel, and the others quickly rush over, drawn by the explosion and scream. Gerrick and Jayk quickly help her to her feet, and Ordal examines her eyes, which, to the rest of you, look perfectly fine, though the pupils are as dilated as possible, and the irises are flicking about the eye, searching for an image of something to relate to the brain.

“Your eyes are fine. You will see again as soon as the after image wears off. Though why you took your stone out while there are some on the ceiling I can’t fathom…”

The sounds of movement echo once more out of the passageway, and you all lean Natania against the wall, Reyna taking a position beside her as the rest of you bunch together in front of them. A piercing scream explodes out of the passageway, and the sounds of fighting reach your ears. A moment later, all is quiet.
You all wait in complete silence for half a minute, your ears straining to hear a sound.

A cracking sound behind you causes everyone to whirl around, and as soon as your backs are turned, the beast leaps straight to Sala, who is closest.

Panlal attack
D6 + 2(Creature strength) + 2(Claws) +6(Unaware target) =D16
1(Lol fail!)

The Panlal’s legs slip on the loose scree it perched on, and it falls heavily to the ground, causing the rest of you to whirl around and see it.

It is a huge, disgusting creature, about eight feet tall and almost as wide, it’s scales a flat grey the same shade of the ground it lies on. It’s three eyes stare at you, two flanking the one in the center of its elongated forehead that angles back so that it appears as though it is wearing some sort of rounded hat tilted way back. Its massive mouth opens in a snarl, revealing huge fangs, a long tail lashing behind it tapers to a bone spike that scratches the walls of the tunnel. It quickly scrambles up and spreads its two arms in front of it, revealing that they both end in six wicked claws.

“Panlal! Ware!” Ordal cries, leveling his sword at it.

Jayk{7} wastes no time. Charging at the creature, his pick raised high above his head, he screams a battle-cry. The Panlal leaps to meet him.

Jayk attack
D6 + 1(Pickaxe) = D7

Panlal defence
D6 + 2(Creature strength) + 2(Claws) = D10

The Panlal dodges Jayk’s clumsy swing, sliding around him like a snake, and raking its right claws across his back, slicing through the jumpsuit easily, and ripping open the flesh on his back. Jayk flies through the air from the force of the blow, landing heavily about five feet away, and staying down.

Gerrick{5} attunes himself to the rock around him, and accesses the flow of magic. Commanding a piece of rock to fly out and spear the Panlal, he swings his arm towards it.Gerrick feels the sudden shut-down of the magic flow, and, staring at the rock in surprise, all Gerrick accomplishes is looking like a fool.

The Panlal advances towards the rest of you, its elongated head and wide, fang-filled mouth a fearsome site.

Panlal:

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Roll #13

Jayk{3 – 2 = 1} stays completely still behind the Panlal, feeling his warm blood begin to pool on the floor. This could prove fatal if not healed.
Deciding to remedy that unfortunate fact, Jayk calls upon his Mark of Wonder, hunting for the thread to send the healing energies into.

…where did it go?

You search with your mind, knowing that if you panic it will be even harder to find. The thought does little to help your growing fear about the potential loss of your power.

Suddenly, you locate it, and you attempt to grasp it. It slips right out of your minds grasp, similar to how the Panlal slipped past you. Trying to grab it a few more times, you soon give up. You see the Panlal stalk forwards towards your companions, and you realize that if it notices that you can still fight, you will be in trouble. You begin to stand up, but you suddenly are immobilized by pain as you stretch your back. You feel the skin tear, and more blood gushing out. You tumble back onto the floor, barely staying conscious as the pain you are experiencing launches another attack on you.

Vitr{7 } watches as the Panlal moves closer, scanning for any weak points it might have. You notice that it keeps its tail safely behind it at all times. Perhaps severing it would have an effect?

“Try to sever it’s tail!” You shout, raising your White Hand.

Vitr sights the beast towards the center of his palm and fires.

Vitr Attack Roll
Ranged; No retaliation able from target.
D6 + 2(White Hand prepared) = D8

Panlal Dodge Roll
D6

The Panlal has no chance to get out of the way before the explosive beam strikes it. With a bright, scintillating fulmination (Yay for big words! My reason for them: Adds variety to an otherwise bland vocabulary pallet.) the Panlal is violently thrown back against the tunnel wall, landing a shrot ways away from Jayk. Growling and snarling, the Panlal pushes itself off the floor, black blood gushing from multiple holes and gashes in its large chest.

Apparently it needs more than that to put it down, its primal senses nulling the pain that would have incapacitated any of you.

Gerrick{2} takes a deep breath, preparing himself for the Terralius he is about to undertake. Accessing the flow of magic, he feels the connection he shares with the stone. He molds the rock below him, guiding the energy the earth already possesses. Flinging a hand out towards the Panlal, you command the pillar of rock to strike it.

Instead of appearing somewhere in front of you within striking range of the Panlal, the pillar of rock instead explodes from the ground behind you, sending you flying through the air to crash to the ground a short distance down the tunnel, frighteningly close to the Panlal. You immediately try to get up, but your legs won’t respond, even though you feel no pain. Curious.

The Panlal turns towards Gerricks prone form, its violent intent clear.

Kreja{1} watches the Panlal carefully, but discerns no obvious weak points. Hearing Vitr’s shout of where to aim, you decide that that it be prudent to concentrate fire there. You swirl one of you hands above your head, gathering the excess of shadow that forms in the recesses of the rock. Soon you hold a large ball of shadow above your hand, midnight-black, and seemingly motionless. The tunnels appear strangely flat without the shadow, but you barely notice, intent on your task. Attempting to mold the shadow into a shuriken, it suddenly seems as if it has a mind of its own. Leaping out of your hand, the shadow splashes to the floor in front of you. The now- liquid shadow coagulates, spiraling upwards, ramifying into six large branches of shadow, three on each side of the pillar that reaches almost to the height of the sixteen-foot tunnel (it’s a large tunnel). What can only be described as a head, pointed like a spear, slowly rises out of the swirling mass of shadow. Wisps of it caress the air around the pillar, some of it even reaching out towards your companions, who all stare at the beast in open awe.

And fear.

Even the Panlal, almost delusional with pain, stops its slow advance towards Gerrick to gaze at the creature.
The being of shadow seems to gaze at Kreja. A black presence suddenly fills each of your heads. While it makes no sound that you can understand, you all most definitely understand it’s intent.

Kreja tried to enslave it. Kreja must die. Along with her friends.

Natania{6} realizing that something is attacking, closes her eyes. The white is replaced with black, and she crouches low down to the floor to sense the vibrations of the earth. While not in tune with it as Gerrick or Kreja, she nevertheless feels a presence suddenly appear in front of Kreja. Black and wholly evil to such a level that Natania can sense it from the floor. Fearing for her companions, she silently wills her eyes to restore their sight, and she opens them to see when they do.

Nameless{2} wastes no time. He figures that with a good throw he can neutralize the Panlal right here, and thus allow the group to concentrate on Kreja’s created opponent. Rolling to the side to get a clear shot, you bring the pick above your head and unleash it in a wild throw, sending it soaring up to the ceiling of the tunnel, where it buries itself in a stalactite.

Just like that, your only weapon is gone.

With a battle-cry, Sala dodges around the shadow beast. Gerrick is vulnerable to the Panlal, even now lurching towards him. Her thoughts are similar to Nameless's: eliminate the minor threat to focus on the greater.

Sala Attack Roll
D6 + 1(Pickaxe) = D7

Panlal Defense Roll
D6 – 2(Pain) = D4

With a thwump, the pick pierces the side of the Panlal’s already-injured chest. The beast roars in pain, and falls to the floor. It is in no condition to fight now, and will probably lay there until it bleeds to death.

Ordal and Talvik both spring into action as soon as Sala goes charging off. Pushing Reyna back down the tunnel a bit, and out of harms way, Ordal scans the creature of shadow, realizing that it would be foolhardy to fight this thing up close.

Searching for vulnerable points
D10

The shadows six weaving arms immediately branch out in front of it, shielding its body from Ordal’s view. A tendril snaps out of the main pillar, curving through the air towards Ordal, its tip tapering into a wicked spike.

Ordal Dodge Roll
D6 + 1(Strong) + 2(Adept Blade Wielder) + 1(Omnite Longsword) = D10

Ordal’s blade is too slow to deflect the spear of shadow, and it pierces his shoulder before retracting back into the pillar. Ordal grimaces and claps his free hand to the wound, but it’s obvious that he can stand the pain. The beasts web of shadow soon dissolves, the arms continuing their waving.

Talvik draws his sessimic blade, and, with a wave of his hand, causes the blade to peel away from the hilt, soaring towards the creature of shadow, splitting into multiple sharp shards of metal.

Talvik Attack Roll
D6 + 2(Sessimic Blade) + 2(Metalshaper) = D10

Shadow-Beast Defence Roll
D6 + 3(Resistant to normal attacks) + 2(Shadow-Agility)= D11

The shards of metal strike home, ripping into the pillar and sending wisps of shadow back to the recesses along the tunnel where they belong. Talvik waves his hand once more, and the metal shards fly back to the hilt, reforming into a blade as they do so.

Shadow-Beast Attack Roll
D6 + 2(Shadow-Agility) + 2(2 arms devoted to attack) = D10

Sala Defence Roll
D6

The Shadow-Beast, seeing Sala easily dispatch the Panlal, decides that she is the largest threat at this time. Two of it’s arms shoot towards her, their tips tapering into spear-like points.
Sala sees them coming, and leaps to the side, just barley avoiding them as they slam into the rock floor, sending large chunks of rock flying through the air before the arms shorten back to their original length.
“Why, Kreja? Why did you unleash this beast on us?” Gerrick cries, having managed to roll over using his arms so that he could see if the creature was moving to attack him.

“Someone help Jayk and Gerrick! We have to slay this beast quickly, and our best chance will be with our full numbers!” Ordal shouts, still searching for a weak spot.

Gradually the white blanket is pulled off Natania’s vision, and the horrible creature is revealed to her. It is worse than she could have felt from the vibrations, and her breath is momentarily taken away.

Shadow-Beast:

Panlal:

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Roll #14

“I think I am more suited to the attack.”

Vitr{9} responds to Ordal quietly as he gazes at the shadow, searching for weak points.

The creature continuously weaves it’s arms around its body. The movements seem erratic… until you notice that there is always at least two near the pillar’s nadir, one in the back towards Rulyon, Gerrick and Sala, and the other in the front where the rest of you are facing. Deciding that that would be a good place to hit, you raise your White-Hand.

“The base! Hit the base of its body!” Vitr calls out.

Vitr attack roll
D6

Shadow-Beast defense
D6 + 2 (Shadow-Agility) + 3 (Resistant to normal attacks) = D11

The beam of power explodes from Vitr’s hand, bathing the walls with an intense white light and sniping towards the Shadow-Beast’s base. Instead of moveing out of the way, or even trying to turn it aside, the beast merely stays in one place, absorbing the bright bolt with the darkness inside it. Snaking an arm out, the Shadow-Beast lashes out at you, one side of its arm thinning to a knifes edge.

Ordal, seeing the shadow blade pass right by him, quickly swings his sword at the arm, hoping to sever it and save Vitr.

Ordal ally defense roll
D6 + 2(Omnite Longsword) + 2 (Strong) + 3 (Adept Blade Wielder) = D13

Ordal’s strike is true, and the blade cleanly severs the creature’s arm, the severed limb flying through the air, crashing to the floor in front of Vitr, before dissipating as the shadow returns to the recesses of the tunnel.
The Shadow-Beast rears back, its pillar straightening as it regards all of you.

Kreja{3} tries to focus on the creature, trying to reabsorb or dispel it before it kills any of you. You almost grasp your power, but then the Shadow-Beast feels your attempts to grasp at the magic that it is made from. Turning its upper trunk towards to, it lashes out with all five of its remaining arms, each tapering into a spear point as they whistle towards you.

Shadow-Beast attack roll
D6 + 5(Arms) + 2 (Shadow-Agility) = D12

Kreja Defense roll
D6 + 1 (Omnite Longsword) = D7

Kreja senses where each arm is aiming for, and where each is at the moment. Drawing her sword, she continues the fluid movement, severing the tips of three of the arms that had aimed for her chest, and turning aside the points of the other two in a quick strike with the flat of her blade that crossed in front of her legs. The creatures arms snap back to their normal length, the severed shadow flowing back into the walls.

Everyone else is momentarily distracted, stunned at Kreja’s sword prowess; especially since she had just gotten it a few hours ago, with no real time to train.

Jayk{7 – 2 = 5} tries to ignore the pain and heal himself, but the pain is too great. He cannot concentrate with the feeling of his own blood pooling out onto the floor, and the wrenching pain of his torn back. Gritting your teeth and steeling your thoughts, you hope that someone comes to your aid soon. But your vision begins to darken, and you feel your grasp on consciousness slipping…

Natania{4} realizes that both fighting and retreating are meaningless unless the creature is distracted, though after witnessing both Ordal’s and Kreja’s success, perhaps fighting is not completely out as an option. Rushing towards the carcass of the Panlal (You heard what it was, Ordal shouted out its name. You were blind, not deaf), you try to recall a protection song, but since you cannot even remember the secret to singing, you quickly realize that it is pointless to try. Skirting the Base of the creature, whose attention is on the larger group in front of it, you quickly dart behind the Panlal, which is even now gasping in the last vestiges of breath it can muster.

Nameless{3} knows that he needs his pick to be of any worth in this fight. Sprinting by the Shadow-Beast, leaping over a small tendril of shadow that tries to trip you, you attempt to use the Panlal’s still-breathing form as a springboard to the top of the tunnel. Indeed, it’s large form would be perfect for that… if your pick wasn’t back closer to the Shadow-Beast. But with a good jump, you figure that you could make it.
Leaping when you near the Panlal’s large body, you only get about four feet of air, and crash into the side of the Panlal’s body, your hands grasping at the top for a hold. Growling, the Panlal summons up it’s last reserves of strength, and swats you away with its arm. You crash to the floor, landing heavily ony our shoulder, dislocating it with a pop. Pain immediately strikes at you, but with a determined grunt, you slam your shoulder back into the ground, popping it back into place. The pain almost knocks you out, but it is quickly receding.

Gerrick{8} summons up all of his knowledge of Terralius. Feeling the rock answer his call, he quickly shapes it around his legs. Once his feet and shins are completely encased, he moves up further, and soon all but his upper thighs are encased in the grey-brown rock. You will the rock to move your legs under you, and once they are curled back, you push yourself into a standing position.

Talvik once more divides his Sessimic blade into shards, and sends them at the Shadow-Beast.

Talvik Attack Roll
D6 + 2(Sessimic Blade) + 2(Metalshaper) = D10

The shards whistle towards the Shadow-Beast, but just as they are about to strike the base, as Vitr advised, the Shadow-Beasts arms collect the shards together with a blinding movement, and drive them all into the floor, shattering them into tiny pieces, beyond even Talvik’s significant ability to call back.

“Beast! You destroyed my blade!” Talvik roared, flinging away the useless handle. “Strike it now, Sala!”

Sala takes the cue. While the Beast’s back is turned, she leaps towards it, swinging her pick at its base.
But she made the mistake of assuming that the creature only had two eyes.

Sala Attack Roll
D6 + 1(Pickaxe) = D7

But the Shadow-Beast was too slow in its movements as it whirled around, arms slapping towards Sala. Her pick struck home, driving deep into the Shadow-Beasts narid. A shudder rips along its length, the beast’s arms thrown away from Sala as it does so. The creature begins leaning crazily to one side, before toppling into the wall on the right side of the cave, frighteningly close to Gerrick. It’s pillar now is turned on its side on the floor, a mass of shadow tendrils wriggling on its base. From its position leaning on the wall, the Shadow-Beast is clearly at a disadvantage. It’s angle let’s only two arms go for anyone at a time, and it’s pillar is vulnerable as a result.

“Well done, Sala! Now, my companions, let us kill my accidental creation!” Kreja calls, happy that the beast seems like it won’t hurt anyone too badly from this position, and eager to right her wrong in creating this. Even if it was an accident.

“Aye, kill the beast! For the loss of my blade!” Talvik lets out a laugh. “Boy, you owe me a new one!”

Shadow-Beast:

Panlal:

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Incase you guys haven’t figured it out, the NPC’s get one move a turn, whether that is defending any of you, healing or attacking, etc…
If your action is to defend an ally, then as long as your roll is a success, the creature you are defending from has no chance to retaliate or block it. (Unless it has certain…special… abilities)
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Roll #15

Fixing the beast with a glare, Kreja{8} reaches her arm out towards it, grasping the shadow’s essence.

I made you. And now, I will destroy you.

With a cry of effort, she mentally grabs the shadow in a death grip, forcing through the shadows wall of will, and replacing its dark power with her own. She made this herself, and now that she has a grasp on its energy, she can see that it will be an easy thing to unmake her creation.

Kreja flings her arms out to either side while simultaneously accesses her power to rip the beast apart.

As if the Gods themselves had decreed that the beast must be destroyed, the Shadow-Beasts entire form is wrenched away from the wall, its very essence being torn asunder. With a sharp Shhhstttth, the shadow is gone, ripped apart by Kreja’s will, the inky blackness returning to the walls around you. Finally, the cave seems back to normal, the strange shadow-less tunnel that Kreja had created returning to its original state.

“Well done, Kreja. I suppose it is only fitting that since you conjured this beast, you were the one who destroyed it.” Ordal says, his voice echoing around the tunnel. Everyone is staring at you with some apprehension, wary of your power you just showed, both in conjuring the beast, and in destroying it.

You notice that Talvik is eyeing you suspiciously. Perhaps he believes this was an attempt to do away with your companions? After all, from his point of view, your display of swordsmanship must have seemed impossible for one of your skill.
Unless it was rigged, with the Shadow-Beast following your commands.
Dismissing the thought -after all, what does it matter? - Kreja walks over to Jayk, everyone else following.

Natania{6} examines the Panlal's corpse. It’s grey scales have faded to a murky brown, matching the dirt floor of the tunnel. Its spiked tail is now curled around its body, ending with the tip lying by the beast’s torso. Its eyes are open, but it is obviously dead, the light having left the eyes.

Idly wondering if it’s blood is poisonous, you jump out of the pool of Panlal blood you were standing in and walk over with everyone else to Jayk, worrying for his well-being. You pass Ordal, who is looking at the creature’s prone form with a worried look on his face. You wonder what that is about, but continue on to Jayk anyway, deciding that it probably isn’t important anyway. Atleast, not while Jayk lies gravely wounded.

Vitr{2}, now kneeling beside Jayk’s body, watches his chest rise and fall irregularly. Realizing that these wounds will kill him, you decide to delve into your mind for healing abilities, since Jayk obviously is in no state to heal himself.
“Stop trying to heal yourself. You will only make it worse.” You murmur, already lost in your mind, looking for some ability residing deep inside you that will allow you to heal.

You search your soul, soaring along the skies and the oceans of your mind. You begin to feel a pull, urging you down. Diving to the bottom of your imagined ocean, you encounter a chest, locked tight with multiple black,metal padlocks. You reach out with your mind and try to open them, but they are unyielding, even rejecting your mental tugs and clever tendrils of thought. You ponder how to open the chest, until suddenly a great black wave smashes into your back, sending you back to your corporeal body, and leaving you breathless and wide-eyed beside Jayk. You instantly realized what had happened:

Your mind had rejected your search for healing powers, and will not accept any search for rejuvenating revitalizing, or healing powers at this time.

You did not know it at the time, but what had just befallen you had earlier occurred to Nameless.

Nameless{9 – 1(Pain) = 8}deciding to pick up some rocks anyway, scoops up two fist-sized ones from the ground. Tucking them into the bag hanging on his belt, he follows his companions towards where Jayk lies. You wonder what a Panlal actually is, and wonder why you have never seen or heard of one before. Judging by Ordal’s worried expression, it shouldn’t be here. You resolve to ask Ordal about it later, but currently you are worried about Jayk. After all, if one of you falls, will the rest of you be powerful enough to escape this mine, filled with guards and rioting prisoners?

Gerrick {- (Action voided, target dead.)} lowers his arm as the creature is ripped apart by Kreja’s power. Exhaling the air you took in as you walk over to Jayk, you notice Talvik fiddling with something inside his robe as he looks at Jayk. What could that be?

Jayk{6 -2 = 4} shakily raises his arm, trying to twist around so he can touch his wounds and heal them. Suddenly, your arm stops receiving commands from your brain, and it falls back to the ground.
You stare at it, wondering, as your mind shuts down your body, trying to save you from the pain. You fall into unconsciousness, wondering if you will ever wake up.

“I know we’re all worried about Jayk, but we need to make a descision.” Everyone looks at Ordal as he speaks, commanding attention. “You all need to decide if you are going to go to the Forges or not. My advice to you all would be to not. If you are captured, then death is guaranteed when I destroy this place.”

“Are you not going to come if we do go, then?” Nameless asks, wondering what his motives for not going would be. Perhaps to set up an ambush for you?

“No. Me, Reyna, Sala, and Talvik, I assume? We are going to head for the North Gate. I will not risk recapture. I have things to do that I cannot do as a captured miner.”

“Ordal, it is fine. As long as one of us escapes to warn the Assalvik of Crasains intent of war.” Talvik says, obviously thinking that he is allaying Ordal's fears.

“Oh… yes, that. Well… you can handle that one, Talvik. I was referring to something else.”

“You and me must talk then, Ordal.”

“Aye, but not now.” Ordal addresses the rest of you. “So then, will you head to the Forges, or not? Of course, we will wait for Jayk to recover enough to walk, if he even survives, before we head on.”

You can all vote on where you want to go, either following Ordal or going to the forges, as well as giving normal Major-Minor actions.

Panlal:

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Roll #16

“I say we follow you, Ordal. We will have an easier time surviving if we stay together.” Gerrick says, his sentiments echoed by his companions almost immediately.

“Very well.”

Kreja{9} draws her blade and slices off one of the Panlal’s claws. A small amount of black blood spills out onto the floor, but it is quickly absorbed into the larger puddle that wets the floor. Pocketing the claw, being careful to not cut herself on its sharp tip. Kreja then strides away from the pool of blood, and places both of her palms on the wall of the tunnel. Realizing that to learn the healing aspect of Terralius, she must first increase her aptitude with manipulating the rock. Moving her hands in small circles, then slowly increasing the radius of her rotations, Kreja begins to swirl the rock. Soon it becomes the consistency of wet mud, and a two-foot portion of the tunnel wall slides out to land on the floor with a wet squelch.

A strange feeling wells up within Kreja, and she slumps against the wall, her eyes closing against her will. She suddenly finds herself standing in front of a chest made entirely of rock. Quickly discerning that this is all in her mind, Kreja strides forwards and kicks the top off the chest. A swirl of lights in earthy hues springs out of the chest and engulfs her. Her eyes wide, Kreja can do nothing but watch as the light is slowly absorbed into her body. Once all the light is gone, she is let in total darkness. Suddenly, her eyes close once more in her mind, and when she opens them, she is back in the tunnel with her companions.

Vitr{7} curses his ill luck at learning magic… or whatever this process of learning from your mind is called. Walking over to Ordal, who is quietly talking to Talvik, Vitr quietly stands behind him until Talvik jerks his chin towards you, catching Ordals attention. Turning around, Ordal inquires what you want.

“I could not help but notice that you appeared rather worried about this Panlal creature. Why is that? It did not seem so tough. It barely survived a blow from my White Hand.”

Ordal frowns at the mention of your ability. Obviously he does not trust you fully yet, since the very mention of your powerful hand seems to set him on edge!

“I am worried about the Panlal because there should be no Panlal here at all. They are creatures of the deep, normally only found in the depths of Undermines, or the Deepways, the vast network of tunnels under the surface. You should count yourself lucky that we killed that one so easily. Normally, one is a match for at least three seasoned adventurers.

“So, if a Panlal somehow found its way up here, what other creatures may have also climbed up here during this escape?”Ordal finishes the thought in a grim tone.

Satisfied at the answer, and more than a little worried about it, Vitr nods, and moves back towards Jayk’s prone form, wondering if he will ever wake from his unconscious state.

Natania{9}, seeing Kreja lop off one of the Panlal’s claws, decides that it would be prudent to do the same. Realizing that she has nothing with which to cut through the tough skin and bone, she asks to borrow Kreja’s sword.

Without a word, Kreja hands it to Natania, who quickly slices off a claw. Handing it back to Kreja and pocketing the claw, Natania walks back towards Jayk, worried for his well being. Deciding to take matters of healing into her own hands, she kneels down at his side and, ignoring the surprised looks her companions give her, places her hand, scarred from the months of tough mine work ,upon his back. Jayk’s hot, sticky blood immediately coats her hand, and anger wells up inside her. Suddenly feeling a tug in her mind, she mentally grasps the tendril and wrenches away. A silvery blue thread immediately streams out of her palm, and Natania feels a strange sensation through her body, as if someone was gently dragging a piece of string along the sole of her foot.

Everyone stares in awe as the shining rope gently brushes each of Jayk’s wounds, which then immediately scab over, before being covered in new, flawless skin mere seconds later. Entranced by the sight, no one can look away until every one of Jayk’s wounds are healed, and the light glow from the rope fades away.

“What did you just do, Natania?” Nameless breathes.

“I… don’t know.”

Gerrick{3} begins to feel a tingling in his legs, and has a sudden urge to itch them. Peeling away his rocky help reveals that his legs can once again support him, and all feeling has returned to them as well. Bolstered by this, he decides to work on his Terralius. Realizing that their little group could never have too many healers, and after seeing what Kreja did, Gerricks tries to replicate her feat, touching the rock and moving his hands in small circles. Nothing happens, so Gerrick grabs his magic more forcefully, trying to force it to do what he wants.
Like a bar of wet soap, the magic slips through his fingers, and Gerrick, try as he might, cannot find the magic again. Searching his mind, he does come upon a small area of magic akin to that like the one he lost, but it is noticeably smaller.

Jayk{10} comes awake again as soon as his wounds are healed. Realizing by following the incredulous stares that Natania had healed him, he immediately thanks her for saving his life.

“It was nothing.” She replies, and that was that. There are more important things to worry about!

Helped up by Sala and Reyna, Jayk finds that his arm is still unresponsive. While it causes him no pain, he realizes that if he could find out how to block the perception of pain from one’s mind, it could keep them in the fight longer. Delving right into this, Jayk leaps into his mind once more. Figuring that alleviating pain would be an extension of his current healing ability, he follows the path he took before. Finding himself in the clearing where he met the mysterious, towering man (who was he anyway!), Jayk wanders off down a path. Soon enough he finds himself in a dark clearing, seemingly lit by starlight though when he looks up Jayk can see nothing but a deep black. A glowing green cord gradually appears in front of him, pulsing eerily.

But this is Jayk’s mind, where he is in control.

Grabbing the cord, an intense flaming sensation immediately paralyzes him, and he is wracked with hot, burning waves of pain. Instinctively, he reaches into his mental self and grasps upon a nub of some sort of energy, and the pain instantly melts away. Before he can ponder what has happened, he finds himself back in his corporeal form.

Nameless{9}, seeing that Jayk is fine, walks over to Talvik. Prodding him on the shoulder, he waits until Talvik turns around, looking somewhat annoyed, before asking what he was fiddling with in his robe.

“What I was fiddling with in my robe is my business, and not yours.” Talvik replies somewhat coldly.

“I will not ask you again, Talvik. I do not trust people who I have met only a few hours ago, and you number as one of those. If you are keeping secrets from me that I need to know, then you will not last long.”

Persuasion roll
Nameless roll
D6 + 1(Agressiveness) = D7

Talvik roll
D6

“How dare you, boy.” Talvik growls, taking a step forward. “While I will not teach you a lesson in respect here, you can rest assured that once we get out of these mines, you will indeed be taught.”

Storming away to stand beside the others, you are left wondering if he really meant to carry through that threat.
Well, if it comes to that, he will not see another sunrise. Nameless thinks.

“Let’s get a move on everyone. Jayk, glad to see that you’re still alive. Natania, good work. Kreja… don’t summon another shadow creature unless it’s to help us! Right, lets move!”

Ordal’s voice echoes powerfully, and you all can’t help but think if it would be better to exercise a bit more caution. Regardless, you all follow him as he passes the fork, continuing on the straight path you were taking before. You march for about half an hour, passing two four-way intersections which you walk by, before Ordal calls for a stop near a bend.

“The storeroom we are raiding is ahead. Be on guard, everyone.” With that, he leads the advance around the corner.

You all filter out into a small cavern, perhaps a stone throw in length, and half that in width. A squat stone building stands at the other end of the featureless, gray area, beside a tunnel similar to the one you all just exited. Cautiously moving across the cavern, you all make it to the door of the storeroom without incident.

Talvik tries the latch, but it won’t budge. “Right, any ideas?”

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Roll #17

"Well, we have a skilled Terralius user that can manipulate metal, and another that is having success in developing the ability to manipulate stone. Plus, Vitr has that phenomenal energy blast... I don't think a stuck door should prove to be much of an impediment to our progress..." Jayk{4} says matter-of-factly, moving to heft his pick up to a ready position. It slips from his hands and the head strikes the rough, rocky floor of the small cavern with a loud crack. The sharp noise echoes throughout the chamber.
Hopefully no one was nearby to hear that, Jayk thinks, as his companions regard him with looks of mild amazement at your clumsiness.

Kreja{7} steps forward, gently prods Talvik to the side, and draws her longsword. With three quick strikes, the fine blade tears deep gouges in each side of the doorframe, cutting through the latch completely where it locks the door. As everyone stares at you, once more impressed by your sword skill, the door slowly creaks inwards on un-oiled hinges, revealing exactly what was expected: A small square room with stone slabs protruding unsupported from the walls for about a foot. On these were various folded pieces of armor, food, and liquids, the latter two being stored securely in neat transparent containers with labels on them. A small crate is pushed back in one corner, and two tables dominated the center of the room. On each of these was an orderly row of various armaments. The entire place is lit by two small glowstones in the roof.

Stepping into the room, Kreja takes a quick stock of what is available as everyone files in beside her.(See list at bottom)

As Ordal steps in, he notes the amount of weapons with a sigh. “This room is poorly stocked…damn. And only with the standard gear, I see.” He picks up a dagger and slides it out of his sheath. Inspecting the edge with a critical eye, he sheathes it and ties it onto his belt. Talvik steps up and does likewise with a shortsword, mumbling something about Omnite being stubborn to manipulate, and wishing that he still had the Sessimic Blade.

Reyna and Sala also each take a shortsword, leaving their picks by the table.

Gerrick{10} decides not to tunnel through the wall, opting instead to walk through the open door. Immediately after entering, his sense of Terralius, ever present in his mind, points towards the back of the room, the part that is flush with the wall of the cavern outside. Walking over to it, you can see a thin seam. Following it with your fingers, you find out that it is actually the edges of a doorway. Eschewing trying to open the door in favor of a more-intense route, you access your Terralius magic and sink your hands deep into the center of the hidden door, the stone parting before your fingers like mud. You begin to shape the rock, moving it easily, and soon you have a hole big enough to crawl through. Peering in, you see a small room with a single glowstone embedded in the roof. A rack leans against the wall facing you, and on it rest two strange looking objects. They each have a long, grey metal barrel with a metal grip in the middle. The barrel sticks out of a slightly thicker cylinder and a black metal handle curves off one end of this into a comfortable grip. Various glyphs are carved onto the barrels and grips, and two small, translucent orange rocks are sticking out of the end, pulsing a gentle orange glow. Smaller glowing stones also dot the entire contraption, making the thing look like it has tiny spikes coming out of it. Climbing through the hole, you glance around the room and, assured that nothing is there, grab the two weapons and climb back out of your hole.

Once back in the room, everyone looks at your strange things curiously.
“What are they?” Queries Nameless, somewhat suspicious of these strange looking weapons.

Ordal and Talvik both look at each other, then Ordal gestures towards Talvik, indicating that he should explain what they were.

“They are a new sort of technology. I’m surprised that this mine would be stocked with some, actually… they are very rare and expensive things to come by, despite the fact that they are very unstable.”

“What do you mean by ‘unstable’?” Gerrick asks, nervously setting them down on the table.

“Well… as I said before, these are a new technology. If you place some sort of projectile in the barrel-anything the right size will do, but if its round its likely to work better- and press one of the crystals at the back, it will fire. Generally it is held like this…” Talvik picks one up and places one of his hands on the handle, and the other on the grip, then holds it so the back is braced by his shoulder. “So that all you have to do is slightly press your shoulder forwards to fire. They are rare, expensive, and unstable because MetalCasters must combine with Elementalis-users to create the glyphs and enchant the crystals so that this thing will fire, as well as shape it from the metal. That is a difficult process, the glyphing and enchanting, so that makes it both rare and expensive. What makes it even more rare, and what makes it unstable, is that these are prone to misfire, or even to simply detonate if the crystals are overloaded with too much magic. That makes this very dangerous to the user. The trade-off is that these weapons are very powerful, likely to blow through all but the toughest armor.

Talvik places the gun back on the table. “These are being experimented with more as we speak. Eventually, a stable version may come out, but most people will probably still prefer the good old style: Sword, bow, mace… all of them. Which is just as well: these are too expensive to equip many soldiers with them, though the fact that any competent Elementalist can re-glyph them to change the factors of how it shoots makes them quite versatile. Use them if you want; I won’t be touching them. Just search for something to shoot with that will work better than rocks. There’s probably some ammunition for it back where you found them.”

“But what are they called?”Jayk asks, curious.

“Depends on the variant. I believe that these are termed Ora-shot, judging by the orange crystals used.”

Nameless{6}, seeing that the is opened and that there are no hostiles inside, contents himself with checking out the rooms contents, and doing a few push-ups and sit-ups on a whim.

Vitr{10} reaches inside the powers contained within himself, gathering them and channeling them into his White-Hand. As you do, you feel a strange knob of power that refuses to go where you will it to. Annoyed, you easily crush the resistance, and suddenly a new power courses through you, strengthening and enhancing the energies you fire from your White-Hand. Seeing that no one is inside, you hold onto the energy anyway, thinking that it will probably be needed soon anyway. Plus, the way the air glows white around your hand, and the slight hum that fills the air, very clearly states to your companions that you are the main offensive power in this group.

Natnai{10} pulls out her whip as the door opens, and she is not the only one who heaves a sigh of relief as it does so. Tucking away her whip, she steps inside, and takes a quick inventory check. Searching the room for some sort of material to make a handle for her claw with, she spots a small crate in the corner. Opening it, she is pleased to find a small rod made from a dull, black rock. Seeing that that is the only thing in the crate, she takes it and straightens, then gives a little jump as Talvik seems to materialize right beside her.

He gives a low whistle, nodding approvingly. “That’s Balzite. A rare find, Natania. That metal holds enchantments extremely well, and also is very strong. Guard it well, it is worth a lot of money, by anyone’s measure.”

Nodding her thanks at the explanation, Natania takes out her claw and visualizes attaching it to the tip. While a weapon that could potentially be easily and potently enchanted, tipped with a very strong, sharp, and deadly Panlal claw could be very powerful, she realizes that to do it properly, she would need the right tools. Briefly and wistfully wishing that she had two claws so that she could tip either end, she tucks both the claw and the rod away in her belt pouch.

“Alright everyone, gear up!" Ordal shouts in his typical group-address. "I would suggest armor, but since if any escaping miners will target someone who they think is a hated Mine-guard first, I am just going to stick with my current gear. Make sure to grab some food and water, as well. The Reyna Mountains are a deadly place, and the harsh conditions make it even more so. I hope to find proper mountain gear in Rathmut Valley, but food will be hard to find, so get it now.

“We leave in a few minutes! Hop to!”

Gear Available:
Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Roll #18

Wasting no time, everyone begins rushing around the room, grabbing items, armor and weapons. Ordal, Talvik, and Sala each take two food packets, and, seeing that an even number of water remains, Sala takes three, as does Ordal, while Talvik takes the remaining two, declining Ordal’s offer of the extra bottle.

Vitr{-}(roll not required, action minor) picks up a shortsword, and belts it on, doing likewise with one of the thick-bladed daggers. Leaning his pick against the table, beside the other two, Vitr picks up the Ora-shot, examining it’s form.

“That thing seems like it could be pretty nasty…” he mutters, setting it back down on the table.
“You got that right,” Sala says as she walks by. “I once saw one shot from one of those things blast straight through three long-tusked goblins. Make no mistake… those are deadly to whoever is facing one, and whoever is wielding one.”

Walking over to the shelves on one end of the room (and narrowly avoiding clotheslining Natania while she tries to tie on her bracers), he grabs three of the translucent water bottles, and three packets of food, noting that the packs are wrapped in an oily cloth that would shed any liquid. Storing those safely in a pouch, he leans against the wall, watching everyone else scurry about.

Gerrick{-} (roll not required, action minor) also takes a shortsword, grabbing the one beside Vitr’s. Tying it securely to his belt, Gerrick grabs a shield and slings the strap around his shoulder, settling it securely onto his back.

Grabbing one of the neat stacks of armor, Gerrick begins the painstaking task of tying and buckling on each piece. It’s not hard, but it is frustrating; the buckles and ties slipping through your fingers more often than not. Finally, once you are attired, you grab two water bottles and one packet of food. As you walk by towards the tunnel you made, you idly pick up a pouch, and lean your pick beside the rest.

Besides the table, you pick up an Ora-shot, and briefly admire its contours. A small bag is hanging from its handle, and you open it, realizing that it contains a handful of small, metal spheres. Presuming this to be the ammunition, you tie it securely beside your shortsword, and grip the Ora-shot halfway down its barrel, before walking over to stand beside the door.

Jayk{-}(no roll required, action minor) snatches up a pouch as he walks towards the weapons table. Darwing a shortsword and examining it’s edge, he gives a satisfied nod and secures it to his belt. Slinging the last shield onto his back, he also grabs three food packets, and four water bottles.

Kreja{7} leaves her pick beside the rest, and takes four packets of food and four bottles of water. Storing these securely, she then climbs through the hole in the wall, so she won’t damage the building or hurt any of her companions if something goes awry.

Sending tendrils of her magic into the floor, Kreja begins to draw up slender pillars of earth, slowly at first, then moving faster as she finds a rhythm. Soon, the floor of the room is covered in small stalagmites. Satisfied, Kreja goes back to join the others, passing an open-mouthed Sala on the way, as well as a slightly pouting Gerrick.

Natania{3} quickly grabs the remaining two daggers, four bottles of water and three packets of food. Belting on the daggers and packing away the food and water, Natania then quickly belts and ties on the pieces of armor, her nimble fingers having an easier time of it then Gerrick. Finding that her bags are now bulging, she removes the empty container to make room for the new items, and leaves it on the table.

(Inventory limits exceeded. Dropped container to compensate.)

Once attired, Natania searches around the room for anything to attach the claw and rod together, but after a thorough search, she finds nothing. With a disappointed sigh, Natania goes over to the wall, leaning against it beside Gerrick.

Nameless{-}(roll not required, action minor) mutters under his breath as he realizes that all the good items are now gone, besides the Ora-shot, which he has no interest in. Deciding that he needs no food or water, he contents himself with buckling on the remaining shortsword, taking a pick from the pile, and grabbing a new helmet that’s not damaged.

Ordal, seeing that everyone is finished, quickly takes the other Ora-shot, as well as the small abg of ammo it has attached to its barrel. “Alright, lets go!”

Ordal jogs out of the door, and everyone has no choice but to follow him at his pace. Obviously he is quite eager to get out of here, now that you all are in the area close to the gate. After a short walk through the tunnel beside the storeroom, you all emerge from the tunnel into a gargantuan cavern. A great chasm splits it in two, and three bridges cross it at varying points. Small, squat buildings are haphazardly littered around the cavern, scattered between stalagmites and lit by huge glowstones at least a hundred feet above, hanging from the ceiling among the stalactites. Shouts and cries of pain assault your ears, and your eyes are attacked in the same fashion as you all see legions of dead miners scattered around the cavern, and a lot less dead Mine Guards. Groups of miners are running all over the place, attacking tight-knit groups of Mine Guards, or even other gangs of escaping miners. Across the chasm, a group of at least fifty miners are trying to fight past a large block of Mine Guards, and one large metal-golem. It is about ten-feet in height, it’s thick limbs, solid body, and square-ish head bespeaking a solid, heavy form. It holds no weapons, but it hardly needs any, as its smooth, heavy limbs crush any who come near it with their sheer weight.

All of you are entranced by the sight for a minute, until Ordal fires off a question. “Talvik, can you handle that golem if we get close enough?”

“Errm…maybe… I would expect that a MetalCaster is nearby so the beast can easily be adapted to any situation. Until the caster is dead, I will have a hard time destroying that thing.”
“Alright. Everyone, I move across the bridge!” Ordal points to a bridge spanning the chasm not far away, where a small group of miners are charging across. “Stay with me if you wish.

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Roll #19

Ordal starts off, moving down a slight rocky slope, following a path of pebbles that leads to a bridge not far away, Reyna sticking to him like a shadow. Talvik and Sala both look at each other and shrug before following him as he enters a street that has a straight run towards the bridge, flanked by dozens of small, poorly built and crudely designed homes.

Vitr{1}, his gaze still captured by the golem, decides to try and eliminate this threat before it can threaten any of you. Raising his White-Hand, the prepped energy humming, he accesses his mind’s corner pertaining to those energies. Gripping them tightly, he prepares to mentally fling them into his hand, when suddenly they slide out of his mind’s grip.

With a crackling pop, a beam discharges from Vitr’s hand, flinging his hand to the side as it erupts from his hand with explosive force, creating a horizontal arc of pure energy that slams into a cluster of shabby dwellings, ripping apart the front walls of the homes with a colossal sound of shattering rock and exploding objects that echoes around the cavern.

All fighting stops, and everyone in the cavern turns to look at you, including the golem.
Deciding to try and intimidate potential hostiles in the room (and make it seem to your companions that you meant to do that), you lift your White-Hand high above your head, your feet spread shoulder-width apart.

A few miners break and run at that site, scattering into numerous side tunnels. Others send smiles your way, believing you to be helping them with the escape. The guards quickly form back up in their formations, and begin cutting their way through the press of miners. The group on the bridge directly in front of you begins moving forward, shoving miners back or off the sides of the bridge with their shields, advancing towards you.
“Oh, well done Vitr!” Gerrick says dryly.

“Thank you.” Vitr mutters, but his words are lost in the sudden return of noise as the fighting quickly escalates back to its previous level.

Kreja{6} sends a sarcastic nod Vitr’s way before starting after Ordal, who is looking at Vitr with a look of disgust on his face. You call upon the shadows nearby, forming two small daggers, one in each hand. No hostiles approach your group as you walk towards the bridge, but small gangs of miners are skulking around, keeping a safe distance from your group and hiding among the shanty homes. You keep the daggers formed, ready to throw at a moment’s notice.

Nameless{-}(Roll not needed, action minor) suddenly realizes that he did not take any water from the storehouse, and immediately whirls around to return and grab some, until he remembers that the remaining food and water was split among Talvik, Ordal, and Sala. Turning around, he runs over to Ordal’s small gang, progressing slowly towards the bridge as they warily eye the miners around them.

“How about sharing some food and water with me, guys?” Nameless asks.

“Why, are you hungry?” Talvik says, somewhat scathingly.

“If you need any, we will share with you. Fear not.” Ordal says, barely glancing back as he addresses you, his gaze fixed on the bridge, where the miners’ line had crumbled, and now were sprinting towards them in full retreat, the guards right behind them.

“They will reach us in two minutes, I think.” Sala says to Ordal, drawing her sword as she does so.
Just then, both Natania and Gerrick join with the group, leaving Vitr and Jayk the only ones left on the slope.

Natania{-}(roll not required, conditional action followed is a minor) brings her hands to the hilts of her daggers, one on either side of her belt. With a quick motion she unsheathes both, holding them ready at her side, and easily keeps pace with Ordal, glaring at any skulking miners among the dwellings who come near, eager to attack one of the hated guards that Natania appears to be with her armor.

Gerrick{-}(roll not required, action minor) swings his shield off his back and draws his sword, waving it at any miners who come near as he follows Ordal, hatred contorting their features. Perhaps taking the armor wasn’t such a bright idea after all…

Jayk{3} sees Gerrick ready his shield and sword as he follows Ordal, and you decide to do the same, seeing as combat will be imminent unless one of you does some fast talking. Figuring that now is as good a time as any to enhance your abilities, you delve into your mind, searching for the correct area where the powers pertaining to your Mark of Wonder reside. Finding it, you mentally command access to the blocked off sphere.
A powerful blast of rogue energy pulses out from the sphere, throwing you out of your mind with a start, and you almost lose your balance standing among the loose scree of the slope. Vitr stares at you curiously, but you disregard his look in favor of more important matters. You dive into your mind again, only to find that it rejects your access completely.

Fear wells up inside you, but your practical nature quickly shoves it aside.

You will try again later, and it will work.

Back down on the street, Ordal motions for everyone to stop. “Form a line!” He calls, and you all comply, your group of eight just large enough to cover the street from end to end. “Be ready… Here they come!”
The miners, sprinting towards you, dissipate among the numerous alleyways, leaving just a squadron of five guards sprinting towards you, a mere thirty feet away now, the rest turning to chase the rebellious miners among their alleyways.

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Roll #20

“I offer you the chance to surrender, misguided prisoners, and you as well, traitorous guardsmen. Else my blade, Frozen Fury, shall cleave you all in twain.” One of the guard spouts as he holds up his fist level with his shoulder, stopping the four guards behind him a few feet away from your group. He appears to be some sort of leader –another Mine-Ward, perhaps?

Except this one is armed and armored, unlike the one you all mercilessly slaughtered before. His armor is noticeably different than the other guards, who are garbed identically to the members of your group wearing armor. The Mine-Ward wears a black cuirass, trimmed with a grey material. Chainmail sleeves cover his arms up to the elbow, his forearms encased in gauntlets made of a black metal. A chainmail kilt covers his legs just below the knee in a similar fashion to the other guard armor, and heavy black boots guard his shins and feet. His helmet, while the same as the other guards, lens and all, except for its black color, has one other noticeable difference: Two horns protrude from the helms sides, curving down so that they end up framing his chin, making him appear like a sort of bug with two large mandibles. The end effect is surprisingly fearsome, and you have no doubts as to the skill of this warrior.

Your trepidation at combat is heightened by the man –and he certainly is no small man, perhaps 6’5 of muscle, heightened by his armor- as he reaches an arm back and draws a massive two-handed sword from his back. The blade is ice-blue, and a white fuller runs down its middle.

Ordal spits at the man’s feet.

“Attack!” The Mine-Ward roars, and they leap forwards, clashing against your group with a cacophony of screeching metal and battle-cries.

Vitr{10} and Jayk{10} both charge down the hill as soon as the soldiers attack, clearing the expanse of ground in no time, they run right past miners who watch the battle with interest.
A soldier is slamming his longer blade down on Sala’s, easily defeating her every attack. Obviously overmatched, she calls out for help, and Vitr answers.

Vitr attack roll
D6 + 1(momentum) + 1(combination planned) + 1(Omnite shortsword) = D9
8 + 0.5(Dagger(I assume you are dual-wielding)) = 8.5

Machan defense roll
D6 + 2(Helmet) + 3(Body armor) + 2(Longsword) + 1 (Dagger) = D14

Skidding to a stop a few feet from the guard, Vitr launches his combination as the man turns to regard him in the form of a swinging sword. Smacking the sword aside with his short blade, Vitr pivots on one foot as he brings the other up, knee bent. He extends his leg powerfully, smashing his heel into the man’s chin. The guard stumbles back, his helmet luckily having softened the blow, since otherwise his chin would be shattered by Vitr’s heavy mining boot. Quickly bringing his leg down in front of him as he pivots towards the guard once more, Vitr crouches down to the ground and spins, sending one foot into the back of the guard’s knee.

Disoriented and unable to keep his balance with his knee pushed out, the guard topples back, landing heavily on the ground. Vitr springs up and slams his knee into the guards groin, bruising his knee on the armor, but hopefully crushing the soft tissue underneath. At the same time, Vitr pulls out his dagger, pushes the man’s head back so his chin and neck are exposed, and sinks the dagger deep into the man’s flesh. Blood gurgles out of the wound as a strange gargling sound comes from the man, before he stops moving and is silenced.

Leaping back to his feet, Vitr is just in time to see Jayk assault another guard who was engaged with Gerrick.

Jayk attack roll[u]
D6 + 1(momentum) + 1(combination planned) + 1 (shortsword) = D9

[u]Kail defence roll

D6 + 1(Trained) +1(Axe) +1(Longsword) +2(Helmet) +3(Body armor) = D14

Jayk slams his shield towards the guards face, or at least where his face was before Jyak’s shield blocked his view. Stumbling forwards as he hit nothing but air, pain explodes in the back of his knee as the guards axe slices into it, sending Jayk fully to the ground.

Rolling over, Jayk sees the guard above him, sword poised to strike.

“Goodbye, silly insurrectionist.” The guard laughs, but that laughter ends abruptly as Gerrick{-}(no roll needed, action was minor), ever vigilant, strikes.

Gerrick attack roll
D6 + 1(shortsword) + 1(target caught slightly unawares) = D8

Kail defense roll
D6 + 1(Trained) +1(Axe) +1(Longsword) +2(Helmet) = D11

Gerrick’s sword slices through the air as it flies towards Kail’s head, who, like a snake, drops down in a crouch, avoiding the strike. Leaping back up (and away from Jayk’s prone form), Kail launches a combination on Gerrick with both his weapons, the axe smashing away Gerrick’s sword as the longsword dives in towards Gerrick’s stomach.

But the armor is quality, and the blade is mostly deflected, though the tip did get through to gash your stomach a bit. The wound is superficial though, and Gerrick brings his sword back quickly, smashing the back of Kail’s head with the hilt. As he recoils, Gerrick kicks him in the stomach, sending Kail stumbling back. The two circle each other warily, Kail slightly stumbling as his head continues to ring.

Kreja{-}(Roll not needed, daggers prepped) flings both of her daggers at one of the charging guards with a lazy flick of her wrists.

Kreja attack roll
D6 + 1(Shadow Dagger) + 1(Shadow Dagger) = D8

Isaac defense roll
D6 + 2(shortsword) + 2(shortsword) + 2(Helmet) = D12

Isaac flinches back as the daggers fly towards him, falling flat on his back unceremoniously. But his impromptu move works, and he gets back to his feet as Kreja draws her longsword. Advancing towards her, Isaac laughs.
“Perhaps if I spare you, you can share my bed!” His voice muffled inside his helmet, the lewd sentence still can be heard clearly.

Natania{5} quickly glances around to search for the golem. It’s towering form is easy to spot, and it comes as a relief to you when you see that it is still guarding the tunnel out of here, though it’s group of accompanying guards are now chasing a large group of miners fleeing among the haphazard streets. Luckily, they are running away from where you stand now.

Drawing her daggers, Natania dashes forwards towards the nearest guard. Ironically, it is Isaac, the lewd sentence guy, so you can imagine his surprise when he sees another female moving in with…
Yep. Isaac thinks to himself as he charges Natania. Daggers. Of course.

Natania attack roll
D6
2 + 0.5(Dagger) + 0.5(Dagger) = 3

Isaac defense roll
D6 + 2(shortsword) + 2(shortsword) + 1(Boots) = D11
11 (Two 11’s in a row! Go Isaac!)

“Traitor!” Isaac roars as he slams both of his shortswords down on Natania. Barely blocking them with her daggers, Natania crouches down to try and slash his ankles, but Isaac’s booted foot slams your chest, sending you flying back. Luckily, the armor shielded the blow, and you are soon up on your feet, ready for Isaac’s next attack as he advances towards you.

Nameless{9}(You are not on the hill, so I adapted your action) swings his shield off his back with a roar, and throws it like a Frisbee, the circular shield catching air remarkably well as it flies through the air towards a guard who approaches you in measured steps.

Nameless attack roll
D6 +2(enemy does not expect attack) + 1(crushing, fast moving shield) = D9

Arthur defense roll
D6 +2(Helmet) +3(Shield) = D11

Your shield flies in and slams into Arthur’s with the force of a fat tavern bouncer jumping on a thin man. Arthur’s shield is ripped out of his grip, and sent flying for a few feet, before landing and rolling down an alleyway and out of sight. Your shield bounces off of his and smacks into a wall, breaking through the flimsy mud-rock material and disappearing inside the house.

Drawing his shortsword, Nameless advances towards the guard. “Come on then, boy. Let us see who is the stronger!” Nameless growls, and the drafted soldier, barely trained and untested, very nearly flees right there.
Talvik draws his shortsword and waves his hand over it, detaching the blade from the hilt. With a wave of his hand, he sends it flying towards Serh’s chest.

Talvik attack roll
D6 +1(shortsword) +2(Metalshaper) = D9

Serh defense roll
D6 +4(cuirass) +2(adroit) + 4(Frozen Fury) = D16

Serh lazily brings up his sword so that the tip of his sword is pointed at the ground. His sword’s thick blade deflects Talvik’s missle, which, with a wave of Talvik’s hand, comes flying back to him, reattaching to the hilt of his sword.

Sala charges Kail, swinging her sword high for an easy kill at his head.

Sala attack roll
D6 +1(shortsword) =D7

Kail defense roll
D6 + 1(Trained) +1(Axe) +1(Longsword) +2(Helmet) – 1(disoriented) = D10

Kail quickly swings his axe up, locking Sala’s blade with his curved axe. Swinging his sword at her open flank, Sala cries out in pain as the blade slashes her side. A quick kick sends her falling back to the ground, her sword falling to the ground beside her.

“Who’s next?” He says quietly, swaying as he tries to regain his balance from Gerrick’s disorienting blow.

“Reyna, get back!” Ordal yells, and Reyna acquiesces, falling back behind your line. Ordal runs at Serh, who merely laughs and brings his massive sword up into a ready position.

Ordal attack roll
D6 +2(Longsword) + 3(Adept blade-wielder) +2(Strong) = D13
7 + 0.5(Dagger) = 7.5

Serh defense roll
D6 +4(cuirass) +2(adroit) + 4(Frozen Fury) = D16

Serh, obviously cocky because of his massive sword, lazily sends it in a sweeping circle, forcing Ordal back a step.

Ordal dives forwards with astounding speed, and swings his sword, slicing a deep gash straight through Serh’s cuirass, cutting him deeply across his chest.
A heavy gauntlet smashes into Ordal’s chest, forcing him back a few feet. Serh, no longer appearing overconfident, swings his word at Ordal in a great overhand blow.

Serh attack roll
D6 +2(adroit) +5(Frozen Fury) -2(pain) = D11

Ordal defense roll
D6 +1(Longsword) + 2(Adept blade-wielder) +1(Strong) +2(corselet) +1(Dagger) = D13

With a resounding clang, Ordal’s longsword and Serh’s greatsword meet in mid-air. Both combatants are jarred and pushed back a step, their arms aching.

Kail leaps forwards at Gerrick, his axe leading the way in a heavy swing.

Kail attack roll
D6 +1(Trained) +3(axe) +3(sword) -1(disoriented) = D12

Gerrick defense roll
D6 +3(shield) +3(armor)= D12

A lifted shield foils Kail’s attack, and a shortsword in the gut foils the other, if there even was one. Kail slides off Gerrick’s blade and falls to the ground, out of this fight, and with a wound like that, close to death.
Isaac approaches Natania, then stops and begins moving his swords in defensive maneuvers as he sees Kail fall.

Arthur charges at Nameless, ready to avenge the loss of his shield as he swings a sword at Nameless’ throat.

Arthur attack roll
D6 +1(sword) =D7

Nameless defense roll
D6 +2(sword) +2(helmet) = D10

Arthurs sword slips by Nameless’ attempt to parry, but his aim is not true, and the sword, instead of slicing Nameless’ throat sinks into the side of the helm, cutting the side on Nameless’ head but not doing any damage aside from bloodying Nameless, and causing him some pain.

The battle rages on!

Opponents:
Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Roll #21

Feeling the pain emanating from his sliced knee keenly, Jayk{9 -2=7}(Technically, your entire action is a minor, but you got a success anyway, so I just put it down) quickly reaches over and grabs Kail’s longsword from the man’s loose grip, unbuckling the sheath as you do so. Scooting behind the relative cover provided by your companions, you quickly assess your injury. It doesn’t look too bad, and the bleeding is nothing life-threatening. The pain still stings something fierce, however, so you figure that it would be better to abstain from healing yourself right now. Realizing that you are quite vulnerable on the ground, you heft your shield as best you can, keeping it in front of you as a ward against any potential attacks.

Vitr{9}, pleased at his quick kill, cuts the straps attaching the longswords sheath to Machan’s belt. Lifting the sword from Machan’s limp fingers, Vitr replaces it in its sheath, and quickly ties said sheath to his belt. Seeing that Isaac is fully occupied with warding against attacks from Natania, who is trying to strke through his blocks, Vitr decides to pull off a little assassination maneuver. Skirting around on the edge of his vision, you try and get close enough to slide your dagger between the exposed flesh at the back of his neck.

Sneak Check
D6

Isaac awareness check
D6

Isaac notices nothing other than Natania’s knife moves. Not your quick roll towards him, not your leap, dagger outstretched, and he notices nothing at all when your dagger slides into his neck, the blade ripping out his throat as well. With a gargle, he goes down, but not before Natania’s final attack, a thrust that Isaac had been moving to block, stabs home into his ribs.
“Nice combo.” Natania remarks as she withdraws her dagger. Vitr only nods.

Witnessing this, Arthur has seen enough. Throwing his sword down at his feet, he tears off his helm, hurling it at Nameless, and whirls around, running towards the bridge without even seeing if his hit lands. Nameless doesn’t even move, since the throw was wild and soars way over his head.
“Spare me! I surrender!” Arthur screams as he pelts down the street. He doesn’t get far when an angry miner intercepts his run with a thrown pick, flying end over end before its spike buries itself in Arthur’s back, severing his spine.
“Looks like you’re the only one left. Care to surrender?” Ordal asks, easily avoiding Serh’s wild swings.
“I fight to the death!” Serh roars, punctuating his swing with a lunge.

Natania{-}(Target dead, action is now a minor) sheathes one of her daggers and pulls out her whip. Coiling the end around the hilt, then tying it off securely, Natania is pleased to find that she has created a new weapon. Swinging it around a few times, to test if her knots will hold, she then places the dagger-tipped whip back on her belt.

Kreja{1}(uh oh) starts to defend herself, moving her blade around in swift, easy motions, but stops when Isaac gets slain, since Serh is completely tied up in combat with Ordal. Figuring that now would be a good time to try and summon a shadow creature, Kreja reaches into her mind and grasps hold of her shadow control. Taking hold of all the shadows nearby, Kreja commands them to coalesce together into a ball.
Channeling some of her power into the ball, you also send a mental command in the strange language of shadows that you innately know as a result of your power that pretty much amounts to “serve me!”
A deafening roar, defiant and powerful, blasts you back, and you are shocked to see the shadow form into a being that can only be described as horrible. Teeth as long as swords and claws…
But then suddenly it is gone. Huge wings of shadow sprout from it’s back, easily spanning the street, and commanding the attention of all nearby, including Serh and Ordal, who briefly interrupt their fierce battle. The creature pushes off with two powerful hind legs, and soars up into the ceiling of the cavern, disappearing among the dense shadows there. A monumental grinding sound immediately follows, and a stalactite the size of a tree soars down from the ceiling, spearing a house to your immediate left.

Taking advantage of the lull in combat, Serh obviously decides to go back on his previous words. Launching a swing that forces Ordal to jump back and stumble into Talvik, sending them both sprawling, Serh whirls around and sprints down the street, moving incredibly fast for someone in full armour, even if the armor is as light as the surplus mine-guard ones. A miner leaps out from an alley to intercept him, but Serh merely slams into him with his massive shoulder, and headbuts the man as he goes by, the helmets mandibles each stabbing the man in an eye. He goes down in a scream of pain, and Serh makes it to the bridge without opposition, slipping through the ranks of guards, and then disappearing through the tunnel that the golem still guards.
“Excellent, Kreja. Yet another of your shadow friends come to play with us?” Gerrick asks as he helps Jayk up now that the fight is over, oblivious to his winces of pain.
“Get off me!” Talvik shoves Ordal off of him, then leaps to his feet. “The Mine-Ward has escaped!”
“Yes yes, that’s awful.” Ordal climbs to his feet, looking nervously at the ceiling where the creature disappeared. “But we have more pressing concerns. Loot what you will, everyone. Then we must move. I do not relish the thought of spending any more time around an angry shadow creature than I need to.” Ordal moves over, helping Sala to her feet. Pulling a bandage out of his satchel, he quickly cleans and covers the wound, kicking Kail once as he does so, drawing an agonized groan.
Up ahead across the bridge on the left, another group of miners has surfaced, fighting the guards back near to the tunnel. You can all clearly see a robed figure standing on the floor between the golem’s feet that are set shoulder-width apart. He -or she- appears to be in the throes of some sort of spell casting. On the right across the bridge, the guards and fleeing miners have completely disappeared among the warren of shanty prison-homes.

Ahead of you all, a cluster of three miners have gathered around Arthur’s dead form. They are glancing back at your group nervously and muttering as they do so.

Other players actions voided since they are irrelevant now.

Opponents:
Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
To all players!
Minors are actions that are:
Looting, walking or running(JUST walking or running), entering defense mode, talking to anyone(unless you want to initiate a Discussion), buying or trading with someone, simple crafting, etc.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Roll #22

Four of Ordal’s words ring out in your mind: Loot what you will.

Figuring this to be a great idea, Gerrick{8} reverses his grip on his shortsword and buries its blade in the soft brown loam that makes up the street. Taking up Kail’s war-axe instead, you take no heed to his agonized mewling noises. Lifting the axe blade up in front of your face, you briefly examine the weapon. Nodding your satisfaction, you walk down the street a few feet, moving right past Jayk, who is looking at Kail thoughtfully.
Gripping the axe in your right hand, you begin to swing it around, at first flailing wildly, but soon enough you are moving it in calculated moves, spinning it around your shield sometimes, imagining that you are finding breaks in an imaginary opponents guard. Your arms begin to screech in protest after a while, so you stop, breathing heavily, fogging up the lens in your helmet. You feel much more familiar with the axe now, and are confident that you can use it better than you could your shortsword, which you leave in the dirt.

An idea forming in his head, born of the thought that allies in this dangerous situation are pretty much mandatory, Jayk{6 – 1 = 5} kicks Kail’s sword aside, sending it skittering away along the dirt, out of Kail’s reach. Placing your hand on his stomach, simultaneously holding your blade’s point just above his abdomen, you go to breach the mental barrier that separates your healing powers from the rest of your mind, your sliced leg sends out one final attack, the pain, slight as it is, distracts you and breaks your concentration. You immediately break the barrier and try to heal Kail, but that moment of distraction was enough, and Kail had already departed from this life.

With a sigh, Jayk straightens, staring down at Kail’s corpse with an empty look on his face. Despite the fact that Kail tried to kill you, you still feel as if you failed him by not saving his life. Noticing Natania standing beside you, you raise an eyebrow.

“I was going to try and help…”

“It’s fine. You could not have done anything anyway.” With that, Natania moves away.

“He would have betrayed us anyway, given the chance. We are war prisoners, Jayk. He is a loyal soldier of Crasain.” Talviks rumbling voice steals away your contemplations, and you give him a nod, deciding not to dwell on it any longer.

Vitr{6} gazes at the longsword on his belt, silently debating whether or not he should keep it. Being slower than a shortsword, it would definitely slow him down on the defense, but then again, it’s extended reach would make up for that, along with its heavier weight to really beef up your offensive game. Deciding to keep it for the time being –after all, you could always sell or trade it once you reach that town in Rathmut Valley- Vitr saunters over to Talvik and Ordal, wiping the sanguine blood off of the dagger onto your jumpsuit’s leg as you do so. The simple yet intimidating action catching the attention of both, you take the opportunity to ask a relevant question. "Could either of y'all enlighten us as to the nature of that spell caster...?"

Talvik gives a bit of a laugh at your question. “Well, judging by him or hers motions, they appear to be a metalcaster casting some sort of spell…” He squints at the mage for a moment, and then turns back to you. “Yup. A metalcaster casting an enchantment onto that golem, though I have no way of telling what sort of enchantment it is until I hear the incantation and see the components. Not really relevant, though, since that caster is our first target once we make it across the bridge.”

With a nod, you make your leave, moving over to a nearby house. You begin throwing your dagger at a house, aiming at a small crack halfway up the wall, and retrieving your dagger after each throw. The dagger bounces off the wall more times than it sticks, but you have made definite progress with your throwing skill.

Kreja{6} tosses her longsword down at her feet. Striding over to Isaac’s fallen form, she kneels down and snatches up his shortswords. Giving them each a quick twirl, you slice the sheaths off of Isaac’s belt, and then tie them on your own, cutting off the longswords sheath as you do so.

Closing your eyes, you extend tendrils from your mind into the nearby shadows. Instead of ripping them away to do your bidding, you instead gradually ease them into your grasp. It appears to work, the shadow moving along into your hands without complaint, feeling like putty, though when you try and grip it, your fingers go through the shadow. Realizing that you have figured out a better way to conform the shadow to your will, you release them, and resolve to control shadow that way next time.

Spouting off a few colorful and inventive curses at Kreja, who is not listening anyway, absorbed in her shadows, Natania{7 – 2(Learning magic without a teacher) = 5} watches Jayk curiously. Seeing what he is going to try, you move over to help him. You are about to ask how you can help when Jayk gives a little spasm of pain, and you see Kail finally go still. Jayk sighs and stands up, truing a questioning eyebrow on you once he notices you standing there.

“I was going to try and help…”

“It’s fine. You could not have done anything anyway.”

You nod and move away, an idea forming into your head. If you knew metalcasting, you could probably attach the rod to the claw. Closing your eyes, you draw out your rod of balzite and access your mind in a similar matter to the way you do when you use your palm of healing.

Nothing.

You try again.

Zilch.

You try different ways of accessing your mind, you visualize commanding the metal, a thousand different things, but the end result is always the same.

Nothing happens.

Frustrated, you tuck away your rod, and only then wonder if you should have asked Talvik fro help before trying yourself.

You are all distracted suddenly by a roar of rage from Nameless.
“What in the world is your problem?” Ordal asks, seeming annoyed.

“I’ll not have you guiding this group on a path of suicide any longer! Why, I bet you work for the Mine-Warden! Why else would you let the other one escape!” Nameless is advancing on Ordal now, his sword drawn. In response, Ordal merely sheaths his own.

“I assure you, Nameless, that I am on your side. After all, I am the one who orchestrated this whole insurrection!”

“What a convenient excuse for you! No, Ordal, I know your plan. I know where you want to go, and why. I’ll have none of it!”

“You know nothing.” Ordal whispers, and with that, Nameless charges, flinging one of his rocks at Ordal, who leans to the side slightly to avoid it, then leaping the distance, swinging his sword at Ordal as he lands in a diagonal swipe that would cut Ordal from thigh to opposite shoulder. Ordal moves one foot back, turning his body sideways, and Nameless’ blow sweeps harmlessly by. The attack is quickly followed by a horizontal strike, which Ordal ducks under, then leaps back up, smacking Nameless’ helmet with his palm in a stinging slap. Nameless launches a multiple-hit combination, Ordal nimbly dodging every single attack. All everyone can do is stare, transfixed by the fight.

Nameless ducks down low to the ground, stabbing up towards Ordal’s chest, who merely leans back, the stab narrowly missing him.

“This fight is over.” Ordal says, taking a step back. “I do not wish to harm you.”

“Hah! You cannot harm me, fool.” Nameless cries, lunging forwards.

In a quick motion, Ordal snaps his forearm under and up, deflecting Nameless’ stab up. Grabbing his wrist with his other hand, Ordal subtly twists, at the same time slamming his other palm into Nameless’ elbow.
A crack sounds, and Nameless’ sword drops to the loamy floor.

A cry sounds from within Nameless’ helmet, but Ordal has had enough. Drawing his dagger from his belt, Ordal sinks it into Nameless’ shoulder, immediately wrenching it out and sliding to the side, under Nameless’ other reaching arm, to slam the dagger hilt-deep into his other shoulder. A pivot and a back-kick sends Nameless falling to the floor, where Ordal immediately straddles him and sinks his dagger deep into Nameless’ neck.

Ripping out the dagger, Ordal wipes it on Nameless’ armor. Standing up, he casts his gaze around at all of you before replacing the dagger in his belt.

Nameless has fallen in battle, for better or worse. Thank you for playing!

“Let’s move.” Ordal says, and all of you fall in line behind him, Kreja stopping quickly to grab the piece of mansine in Nameless’ belt.

The trio of miners fall back from your group, and you all march across the bridge without opposition, stepping over the bodies of miners and soldiers. Once on the other side Ordal leads you all down a path for a time, where you step over more bodies. Soon enough though, you all take cover among some houses, a mere thirty feet from the golem and spellcaster, who is obviously lost in the casting.

“Alright, everyone. By my reckoning, we have a few minutes until the retreating group of soldiers gets back here. By that time, we must be long gone up that tunnel.”

“Wait, so this spellcaster is completely oblivious to everything right now?” Natania asks, peering around the corner of a squat building.

“Yes, until she finishes.” Talvik says, for now you can all see that the caster is a woman.

“Then let us just kill her with a quick stab.”

“You still have to get around that golem.” Gerrick pipes in.

“Dodge the hits, and get in close. A good plan, then! Let’s GO!” Ordal rises with a shout with his last word, and he charges around the corner, the rest of you following, though you could easily break out of the charge if you wish to.

The golem takes a few massive steps forward, it’s rough metal edges casting deep shadows all over it’s body. One single completely red eye stares out beneath folds of metal, looking like a pot of molten rock.

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Roll #23

Vitr{6} skids to a stop, digging a slight furrow into the dirt. Natania, Talvik, Darien and Kreja similarly halt their respective charges. Raising his arm, he grips his elbow with his other hand, and sights down his arm. Vitr’s companions race by, Jayk brushing by him as he speeds by.
A slight movement, but one that throws off Vitr’s aim just enough, as he releases the energy from his white-hand, the beam spiraling through the air, narrowly missing the Vitr’s companions, as it blasts into the mages left shoulder, ripping right through it. She is sent flying through the air, crashing heavily against the rock wall of the cavern, blood spurting from her rent shoulder as she falls to the floor.

A rumbling sound fills the air as the golem raises its fists, prepared to defend the mage with its life. The opportunity comes a moment later, when Jayk, leading the charge with his shiled covering his chest and his sword held out like a lance, comes within range of the golem. Jayk begins to fake to the right, when the golem lets fly with one of its fists.

Metal Golem attack
D6 + 3(creature strength) + 4(heavy) = D13

Jayk defense
D6 + 3(shield) = D9

Raising his shield in a pitiful defense, the golems fist slams into it, the force of the blow curving the sides of the shield around the golem’s fist. Jayk is sent flying back with a cry of pain, the arm that was holding the shield -having been ripped free of the straps- flopping wildly. He crashes into Reyna, who was trailing behind the group as per Ordal’s demand. They both fall to the floor, but while Reyna nimbly slides out from Jayk, he remains onto the floor, groaning. Reyna, uncaring of what happens to Ordal’s group, merely looks at him apathetically.
The golem, Jayk’s shield now encasing it’s fist, makes the rumbling sound again, but already the rest of the melee attackers having already run by.

Natania{6}, momentarily distracted by Jayk falling to the ground a few feet infront of her, quickly snaps back to the matter at hand. Wrenching her whip off her belt, she lashes out at the golems leg, hoping to make it trip.

Natania attack roll
D6 + 1(dagger-tipped whip) + 1(tripping) = D8

Golem defense roll
D6 + 4(heavy) = D10

The whip coils around the golem’s leg, the dagger tip scratching the metal. With a yank, the golem, already off-balance from the punch, tumbles onto it’s back, narrowly missing Ordal.

Kreja{8} conjures up two blades of shadow, remembering to coax the shadow the way she instead of forcing it. Twirling the daggers around her body to ward off any missiles, Kreja quickly realizes that she is in no danger, and she launches her daggers at the mage’s prone form. They spin end over end, straight over the fallen golem, limbs flailing as it tries to right itself. The sight reminds you of a turtle knocked onto its back.

Then the daggers sink into the mages back, and her struggling ceases. A moment later, Gerrick’s rock that he just ripped out of the wall slams down on her head, and both Ordal and Sala slash her back with their blades.
The golems struggling ceases, it’s limbs locked into place in the air, appearing as if it just turned to stone.
Everyone stands there for a moment, surprised at the easy kill, until a groan from Jayk brings them back to reality.

“Natania, check his wounds! Make sure that he can still walk! Talvik, examine that thing! I want to make sure it’s really dead!” Ordal begins calling out orders, and the named jump to. The sounds of fighting seem closer, and you are all reminded of what happens if the retreating guards find you all standing here.

Gerrick{10}, slightly sheepish at his over-kill, runs over to the mages body, rummaging through her robes many pockets for anything of interest. Finding a few circlets, you smile at the feel of money in your hand. It’s been awhile, with your imprisonment and all, since you have actually held real, tangible money. Stuffing them in your pouch, you also find a few odd, contorted roots, a ball of twine, and a vial filled with some sort of green liquid.
Since space in your bags is limited, you leave the roots, but take the ball of twine and the vial of liquid, figuring that they would be more useful than the roots.

“His arm is broken!” Natania calls out, as she and Vitr help Jayk to his feet, whose face is white with pain.

Ordal stalks over, clearly displeased. Examining his arm for himself, he gives a slight nod.

“We’ll heal him once we’re down the tunnel.You two carry him in the meantime.” He then whirls around and jogs over to Talvik, who is running his hands along the golem’s side.

“Sure thing Ordal! And your welcome!” Natania mutters, as they help Jayk along towards the cave mouth.

“It’s a thankless job, for sure.” Vitr says with a slight smile.

“Thank you…” Jayk whispers with a rasp, his eyes clenched tight against the pain.

“It’s dead! Let’s move!” Ordal calls out, causing everyone to begin moving towards the opening in the wall of the cavern.

“Ordal? Is that really you?” A voice calls, and a rather small man nimbly steps out of an alley directly to the left of Ordal.

“Saima?” Ordal says, obviously surprised , “I thought you were dead!”

“Those soldiers almost had me, true!” Saima says with a laugh. “But a favorable explosion allowed me to escape! Along with this.” Saima unsheathes a shortsword as he speaks, the same kind most of you currently carry.

“That’s great. Good luck to you, Saima, and I hope to see you again, but we really must be off.” Ordal turns back towards the tunnel as he spoke, and motions towards the rest of you with his hand.

“Why don’t I tag along? Another sword arm cannot be a bad thing!”

“Oh… uh, sure. I had figured that you had other things to do, but if you are free, than by all means, join us!”

“What other things would I have to do?” Saima mutters to himself, as he falls in line with the others.

“How do you do, Saima? I’m Natania!”

Ordal leads you all through the tunnel, though your progress is slow at first, until Jayk manages to walk on his own. The tunnels are quite, and look identical to the ones you all traveled through earlier, glowstones and all. Passing right by one fork, you all begin to become bored with the uneventful walk.
Attempts are conversation don’t catch, however, and other than a few more introductions by Saima (who Natania claims is “much more fun than Nameless”) the trip passes in relative silence, other than the clump of boots on the tunnel floor -which erratically changes from rock to dirt, than back again- and the occasional kicked stone. Walking straight through a four-way intersection, your group continues onward once more.

“I’m bored.”

“Me too.”

“Why is there no one in these tunnels?”

“Shut up! Have you ever thought that it’s because we are being so quiet!” Talvik's sharp hiss firmly buries the notion of conversing.

Another fork is passed, and Ordal turns you all down a sharp curve, where another tunnel branches off. This too, is ignored.
Soon enough, the tunnel appears to open up into a massive cavern ahead of you all. Sounds of battle and cries of pain echo back to you, and Ordal stops a stones throw from the opening.

Turning to address you all, he says: “I give you a minute to prepare. There will be some fierce fighting ahead, as the gate is just inside that cavern. Someone see to Jayk’s arm, and I advise you all to prepare yourself.”

With that, he motions to Talvik, and they walk a short distance away, and begin speaking quietly.

One turn until move.
Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Roll #24

Vitr{6} flops down immediately, exhausted. Now that the adrenaline of battle has faded away, your body is letting you know that you need to rest. Knowing that that is not an option, you shake your head vigorously, trying to wake yourself up. You notice that your companions appear just as exhausted as you do, as they slump against walls or merely sit on the floor. Realizing that if you are not ready for the coming battle, any or all of your companions could die causes new energy to flow into your veins, and you close your eyes. Not out of any desire to rest, though. Vitr steadies his breathing and begins to meditate, racing through his mind, searching for the skills he had practiced in the past. Crashing headfirst through a mental barrier, memories suddenly swirl around you, and you remember.

Before the war, you devoted most of your time to practicing martial arts. In your case, one that utilized two daggers, held with a reversed grip so that they ran parallel to your forearms. With this style, you had to be quick, ready to dodge blows, since you cannot block a two-handed blade with just a dagger or two! Trained by the renowned Kia Daun, you became his star pupil, before you went off to join the army, drawn by promises of rewards and free land.

You remember a bit of the moves and techniques that you used to practice, and open your eyes, figuring that they will serve you well in the coming battle.

“Sit down, Jayk – there you go…” Natania{10} says soothingly, looking worriedly at Jayk’s broken arm whenever he is not looking. Never having attempted to heal a broken limb before, Natania is understandably solicitous. Figuring that she has to at least try, Natania sits down beside Jayk and closes her eyes, meditating and thinking about what she must do with his arm. Deciding that she must go further than she has before with her healing powers, Natania opens her eyes, already filled to the brim with energy, having inadvertently accessed her power. Gently placing her hand on his arm, Natania begins to allow energy to trickle into his broken arm like she normally would to heal a wound, when the energy escapes her grasp, blasting out from her hand with an explosion of light that causes your companions to cry in alarm, momentarily blinded by the harsh light. Jayk lets out a gasp of pain, and you are almost overcome with fear, thinking that you had only made it worse!
But then, spots dancing before your eyes, your vision returns, and you see that Jayk’s arm is straight once more – looking the same as it did before the golem had broken it. Grabbing his arm, you move it around in a range of motions, before dropping it, letting it flop down to Jayk’s side.

“All good.” Natania says with a smile, turning away to hide her tears of joy at seeing her companion free from harm once more. Preferring to think about that, rather than the dangers ahead, she leans back against the wall, not noticing that more energy is swirling around in her mind than before… the same sort of energy she uses for healing.

Figuring that he should really try to endear himself to these new companions so he is not left behind, Saima{6}overcomes his intrinsic tendency to be meek among strangers, and says, in a strong voice brimming with confidence:

"These times have been hard... Try to keep your spirits up none the less. I'm sure the freedom of day will soon hit our skin again."

Receiving nods of thanks for his reassuring words, Saima walks over to where Ordal and Talvik are whispering harshly. Tapping Ordal on the shoulder, you respond to his look of annoyance with a bright smile.

“It is good to see you again, my friend. I trust that luck has been decently kind to you?” Saima asks.

“She’s been a bit damning lately, actually.” Ordal says, a slight grim breaching the cold waters of his face. “Hopefully she has a few gifts for us once we try to get past the gate.”

“Aye. Judging by the state of things around here, we could all use a bit of luck.”

Moving back over to the others, Saima listens to the half-hearted conversations for a while, before closing his eyes and drifting off into his subconscious, trying to focus his mind and search for any skills. Never having done this before, Saima is doing it mainly to help focus his meditation, so he is, naturally, surprised when he suddenly can picture himself in his mind, controlling where he goes. But the inside of his head is not the pink mass of brain the doctors he listened to when he was little said it was … here he is walking through odd fields, filled with strange orbs that glow an odd, blue light. Sticking your head inside one that is floating in mid-air before you, an odd feeling of vertigo overcomes you, and you quickly recoil, but not before tiny specks of light shoot into your skin from the orb.

Waking with a start, you immediately notice a warm feeling suffusing your body. On impulse, you raise your hand, and push the energy out, using the tips of your fingers as a focal point. Thin streams of some sort of glowing, orange substance –reminding you of molten metal - flow out of the tips of your fingers, and as you wiggle them, the lines follow the path drawn by your fingers.

Then the warm feeling leaves you, and the energy stops flowing out your fingers, leaving you with a sort of glyph hovering in mid-air in front of you.

Having caught the attention of his companions, Saima, embarrassed, waves his hand, trying to shoo the glyph away. To his surprise, it is propelled a few feet forwards, where it smashes into the wall, burning the image of the glyph a few inches into it, before fizzling out.

“Not another one…” Ordal murmurs, unheard by anyone else.

“Um… what did I just do?” Saima asks, slightly shaken.

“I’d like the answer to that myself, since I still don’t know exactly how I am able to do this.” Vitr holds up one of his hands – which Saima only just realizes is pure white- and a beam of white energy shoots out from his palm, exploding on the wall across the tunnel and creating a fair-sized hole. The deafening boom echoes all around you, and your ears ring for a moment.

Ignoring Ordal’s glare, Vitr continues, “All I know is that once we try to find some sort of power, we generally find some. As you’ve already seen, Natania has a healing ability, as does Jayk. Kreja can do some sort of shadow control, and I can do that.” He gestures at the hole in the wall.

“So, none of you know how this works?”

“Nope. And before you ask, no, I have never heard of anyone able to do what we can either.”

Kreja{9} pulls the panlal claw from her belt, and drags the pointed end across the tunnel wall. The point cuts a line into the rock easily, sending small grains of rock bouncing down to the floor. Stunned that the claw would be this sharp – you didn’t even need to soften the wall – Kreja replaces the claw on her belt and gives a short whistle. After a moment of pondering what to do next, Kreja decides that improving her control of shadow would be prudent for the coming battle. Specifically, summoning more than one creature. Holding out her hand, she wills a small ball of shadow into it. Commanding the ball to form into a small humanoid shape, Kreja allows some of her energy to flow into it, giving it life. The small man stands up, its body the color of pitch. It’s neck cranes back, and though its head appears to be featureless, it seems to be looking at you.
The man gives a little wave.

Kreja, with a wave of her hand, wills the thing to split apart into another living shadow. Immediately, a force is pushing against her, beating back her shadow magic.

Gritting her teeth, Kreja pushes with all her strength, blasting through the force set against her, and splitting the small man into two. While each is a bit smaller than the original had been – they can both sit in the palm of your hand, with a bit of room to spare- they both have life, and both seem to obey your mental commands, as you send them scurrying up to your shoulder. After an arduous climb, the two little men are sitting on your right shoulder, waving at your companions and apparently having the time of their lives, which they probably are, since they were only just created.

“I want one!” Natania laughs, and everyone joins in, though it is more out of a desire to be cheerful in this cheerless situation, then the actual comedic value of her words.

“Natania!” Jayk{7} says, placing his hand on her shoulder to get her attention. “You have my thanks. That arm may have very well been my doom in the coming battle.”

“It was nothing,” Natania scoffs. “Besides, I’m sure you would do the same for me.”

Gerrick{-}(action minor) pulls out the chunk of black rock that has been sitting in his pouch for what seems like ages, and walks over to Talvik, prodding him in the shoulder to get his attention.

“Yes?”

“Can you identify this for me, please?” Gerrick asks smoothly, pressing it into Talvik’s hands, who holds it up to his eyes for a critical inspection. While waiting, Gerrick ponders how far he has come since the day he left Lebedos at the tender age of fourteen. While the place was now a ghost town, literally, populated by revenants thanks to the Skeleton Tree, a product of the ghastly invasion by the Cyzians, he still considered that town his home. How he hated the Cyzians with a passion for killing his friends and family! The last time he returned, he left in a hurry, pursued by ghosts who no longer recognized him, but as he thinks about it now, Gerrick vows to return with an offering, to honor the fallen, since he had known everyone in the town... even if they try to kill him as he does so.

Talvik's sudden voice startles Gerrick out of his thoughts.

“It’s balzite, the same thing that Natania found, remember? Very strong, holds enchantments well… no? Well, you should pay more attention, then!”

Nodding his thanks, Gerrick tucks it away, as Ordal motions everyone to stand around him.

“I know not of what we will encounter in there, but be prepared for anything. This is the last battle in our fight for freedom! Now let’s go!”

With that, you all troop down the tunnel, and emerge into a massive cavern, peppered with tunnels on both sides. The ceiling is a couple hundred feet overhead, lit with glowstones that pepper the massive stalactites hanging down. It is a good hundred and fifty feet from where your solidarity is standing to the other side of the cavern, though it could technically be called a tunnel, since on the map you are standing in North Way, just a few hundred feet from the shattered remains of the North Gate, a massive construction of metal that now lays twisted and shattered. A few stalagmites remain on the floor on the edges of the tunnel, but most are crushed into chunks of rubble on the floor, a product of the massive golems that carry metals and rock in and out of the mine through this passage. While normally the tunnel is crowded with them, the only one you see now lies across the tunnel, looking identical to the one you fought before, except a good fifty-feet taller, with its head missing, limbs cracked and a twisted body. A huge wooden crate is lying next to it, cracked down the middle. Piles of semi-precious stones and gems have spilled out, to pool on the floor around it, appearing like blood pooling from the golem's corpse.

A half mile down the tunnel, the way that leads deeper into the mines, a huge throng of mine-guards hold back what must be hundreds of miners, who are trying to fight through and escape. Cries of pain and the screeching of metal reach you all.

“That’s why I didn’t want to take the North Way.” Ordal says, though few of you are listening.

“The path to the gate is clear.” Talvik observes, and it appears to be true, with just a few handfuls of corpses, both guard and miner, sprawled across the floor.

Suddenly, there is a popping sound, and suddenly mine-guards appear right in front of you, weapons drawn!

“Weapons!” Ordal roars, and a wall of ringing steel suddenly separates your group from the guards.

Until another pop is heard, and even more guards appear behind you all, spreading out to encircle your group!

“Drop your weapons!” One guard barks, garbed similarly to the way Serh was, except his helmet is identical to the other guards, and he holds a sword and shield.

When none of you move, he merely shifts his feet, clearly waiting for something. While you cannot see his face on account of his helmet, he appears unnerved by the two shadow men on Kreja’s shoulder, who are even now making threatening gestures to the guards, who they know threaten their master.
The other guards appear to share their leaders sentiment.
Across the tunnel, you see a group of guards emerge, though these guards are wearing armor trimmed with black chain mail, and their armor is red.
Ordal swears softly, and all of you, having mined in the mine for months, know why.
These are the Red Guard, personal wards of the Mine-Warden himself. Judging by the circle formation as the handful of Red Guards exit the tunnel and walk towards you, there is someone in the middle, and it takes little thought to imagine who that would be. The tension in the air is palpable, and only Sala appears at ease, holding her weapon with little actual grip.

And so, surrounded by a good fifteen armed and armored guards, approached by the Mine-Warden himself, whose intentions you do not know, who will arrive in one minute, what do you do?
>Do you try and fight your way out?
>Or do you lay down your arms?

Or anything in between? Remember, there is always multiple ways to get out of a problem, other than fighting.

Character Information:
Map of North Reyna Mine:

GM Note:
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content