Novalia Roll 2 Dodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus

+5
Talkal
Rulyon
AerynPierre
Bigkahuna
9 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus - Page 4 Empty Re: Roll 2 Dodge: Invictus

Post  Bigkahuna Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 pm

That's okay, Talkal. Just try not to take a month to post an action next time Wink

Flamelasher is out of the game.

A new slot is open, and 8680 is the only one on the waiting list. I'll PM him and enter him in this next roll, which probably won't be coming this weekend (the world is hating on me at the moment).
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Name: Aranna (people don't seem to have surnames in this universe...)
Appearance: Gray eyes. Brown hair. Somewhat short, though not as short as Kyric. Wearing a mud-splattered gray enveloping garment of some sort (likely a cloak or some kind of long coat, depending on the prevailing fashions of the decade before I obtained it), a dark olive green scarf or shawl (depending on the aforementioned obsolete fashions), brown leather gloves extending to halfway between the wrist and elbow, a canvas satchel (containing a small amount of coin, a meager amount of food, and several pamphlets: a few about magic, one about melee combat, and one about ranged combat) worn under the enveloping garment, and whatever other clothes would be appropriate for someone wanting to be prepared for any length of travel.
Personality: Prefers to avoid conflict whenever possible, but will feel guilty about it if doing so resulted in negative effects for herself or others, and would fight if attacked — if she knew how. Somewhat socially inept, and prefers to not say much and stay out of the metaphorical spotlight. Has a sense of aimlessness and mild uselessness.
Goals: Learn about magic (primarily how it works, though I realize I'll probably need to learn how to use it first, and that would be a nice bonus anyway). In the shorter term, maybe learn some combat skills, just in case. In the longer term, I'd like to do something that would result in significant positive effects for people in general, but this is a quite nebulous goal.
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

8680 wrote:(people don't seem to have surnames in this universe...)

Some do, some don't. I don't list all of them either (the captain had a listed surname, though). You guys have a choice of a surname, and you can add one of you wish.

8680 wrote:...several pamphlets: a few about magic, one about melee combat, and one about ranged combat...

Sneaky way to get combat information Wink I'll allow it, though. You'll see when you read them in-game.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:44 pm

bigkahuna wrote:Sneaky way to get combat information
It wasn't meant to be sneaky.
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Sorry, then. It was fine either way. I just assumed it was, since I neglected to mention what items were permissible.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 am

Surname: Vandergraft

I big name for a small man!
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:01 am

Rulyon wrote:A big name for a small man!

Haha, nice. Kyric Vandergraft... nice ring to it Wink

How's your game coming, by the way?
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:49 am

Getting' there! I scrapped Talismentalist because it played WAY too much like the Alchemist from the Pathfinder Advanced player guide, so I decided to let players also have the option of using the APG classes as well: Alchemist, Cavalier, Inquisitor, Oracle, Summoner, and Witch. With the class I created (Communer) and the ten core classes that gives players a selection of 17 possible classes. Considering you can Multi-class up to three (at the expense of developing any single class fully) that gives you an astounding number of potential combinations!

I'm going through the other applications to see the questions asked of those GMs so I can presumptively answer the more common ones.

Of course, with a game with as much customization available as D&D a significant portion of the information will need to be provided to the players in the form of links. If I typed it all out that would be a Massive thread. (the Core Rulebook is over pages long. No way the players will need to know that much. So long as they know the basics I can answer any question they have.

It's been a mildly frustrating endeavor thus far. I keep getting OH SO CLOSE to being ready, then circumstances beyond my control interrupt me, and it takes a while to get back in the groove of things. I finished acclimating to my new job though, so I have more time to devote to gettin my application together.

I've also found myself invited to DM for two different Pathfinder groups too... Exciting developments! Speaking of that, check my new post in the Discussion forum.
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  JackBarber Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Add me to the waiting list?
JackBarber
JackBarber
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Welcome back, Jack! :-)
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Rulyon Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:26 pm

I just now realized I said "Pull the knife from Roald's hand"... when it was Rupin that had been pinned in place. Edited my action accordingly.
Rulyon
Rulyon
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  JackBarber Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:51 am

Man... Replies to these things sure take a lot longer than I remember them taking... Usually it it was a couple days through the week and/or Friday and Saturday...
JackBarber
JackBarber
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  AerynPierre Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 am

Yes, the site has definitely slowed down. And along with it, the speed of the games has slowed. But here lately, everybody seems to be engrossed in school and work, etc.
AerynPierre
AerynPierre
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm really sorry guys. I have read all your posts, but have ignored them until I can accomplish everything in one fell swoop Wink

For the past few months, I've been in this program that has been steadily taking larger and larger chunks of time out of my schedule. In recent weeks, it's been filling up the rest of my Tuesday time and Saturday time. It ends this weekend (!), so I will have some free time to update.

Again, sorry for the delay, should be back soon.

Welcome back Jack! I will update the front page when I'm ready to start writing the update.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  its_crunchtime Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:59 pm

I'd like to go on the waiting list, Bigkahuna, as this seems pretty interesting as far as I've read. Will finish reading the rest of the thread when I have time.
its_crunchtime
its_crunchtime
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:07 am

Crunchtime - I'll put you on there when I start updating everything else.

Status Update:

Finally finished my time-consuming program. Trying to catch up with academic junk after a few days of not being able to accomplish anything. Expect a game overhaul over the next few days and an update on the weekend.

Notes on Game Edits:

I'm going to be making some changes with the game. This whole thing has been an experiment to see how I could do as a Game Master as well as some personal experimenting to discover a writing style. JK Rowling (read the Harry Potter series for the first time over Christmas break... amazing) once said something like "you could write a hundred pages before writing one that you like," and that's pretty much where I am right now.

Basically, the writing style of the game is going to change somewhat dramatically, perhaps several times. I'm going to be experimenting with Point of View more as well as paying more attention to your characters' personalities and how you play your characters to influence how they react to situations.

I'll also try to fight the temptation of twisting the plot to my own devices Wink It's hard when you think you have it all thought out and a player throws a wrench into the situation -- either a lucky roll or an unforeseen action.

I really enjoyed Zerovirus's style of GMing -- no absolutes, minimal stats, heavily concept based -- but the whole idea is so nebulous (Zerovirus wasn't even able to keep it up) that I am going to add some stats in. The most I'm going to have is Mana, HP, and weapon damages, so don't worry. Enemies won't have their stats shown to you (buffs, equipment, skills, etc.), but I will probably have a character sheet for them. Skills will also be more defined once you gain them.

Enjoy my wall of text! Any questions will be answered to the best of my knowledge if they don't reveal spoilers.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Sorry for double-post!

Slowly making the changes I was talking about. I just went high-tech and moved most of my important files to Google Docs.

I made a page with your character profiles (Name, Personality, and Appearance), and I changed the security so anyone with the link to the page can comment on it. It's pretty nifty.

If you want me to change anything, leave a comment on the page and I'll get to it. I was going to leave it open for editing, but that would mean PMs and possible mistakes/SABOTAGE.

Here's the link. I'll also put it on the front page.

EDIT: To comment, press the "Comments" tab in the top-right-hand corner of the screen and click on "Show Comment Stream," or press the "Insert" button and press "Comment." Or type Ctrl+Alt+M.

EDIT2: I'll soon add equipment, skills, etc. on there and have more of a character sheet for you. That way, you'll help me catch my mistakes as well Wink

EDIT3: It even has a rudimentary chat system so that you can collaborate on a document simultaneously! If you happen to be viewing it at the same time as me, click on the "X other viewer button" to start chatting.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Saima Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Put me on the waiting list, pretty please. I'll give you my character information closer to my addition to the game, if that's alright with you.
Saima
Saima
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Everyone's front page status is updated besides Flamelasher's, and his will only be his manner of death.

Well guys, I've spent a long time agonizing over my magic system, and I think I have it finally figured out. I've also taken the time to actually plan out the NPCs' skills, equipment, and such. All-in-all, I'm a lot more pleased with the situation than I was a week ago.

The link on the front page will now show you your equipment, health, mana (when you obtain it), physical condition (injuries and such), skills, appearance, personality, and goals. Each character has their own page. I'll be using this instead of huge spoilers within each post. Any objections to this? Please tell me if I make any mistakes.

Next post of mine will be the roll!
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 am

8680:

...there's beer on my cloak now.

You had taken cover with a few other patrons of the bar after hostilities had begun, and were just now beginning to enjoy the perks of hiding under a table previously occupied by a dozen rousy drunkards.

"Get out of here, lady," the boy had said to you. He had to be no older than fifteen, but he was ferrying the people who were elderly and the few whose faculties had not been restored by the sight of drawn swords and were reluctant to leave their mugs.

And his face. Disdainful. His tone patronizing. You remember because he was too young -- had no right to be in a bar -- and yet he stood there, commanding you to leave as if you were in his way.

Am I just in the way?

The boy had come and gone, several times, until everyone was outside the bar. But you stayed. Finally, he too left -- a final derisive look of frustration as he passed.

Why am I still here?

It looks like some hit-and-run execution attempt went wrong. Some older woman. It could have been your own mother lying there. And those people -- church messengers, from the look of their attire. A few militia types, turned on by their own men. The bartender. He smiled at you.

What if...

No. They're casting magic! Magic, the stuff of dreams and legends. Your dreams. What power you would have -- to heal, to help, to save. But this... this was something different. Magic meant to kill. It shouldn't be like this.

What could I do...?

You have your dagger, and your dirk... They always say that a woman with a dirk up her sleeve is the most dangerous creature in the world. But could you use it if you had to? You've never fought before. You've read some instructional pamphlets and such, but would they work in practice?

There seems to be eight on each side of the conflict. One more trained fighter could change the tide of the battle. But... could you?

I'm out of my league...

What could I do...?

Why am I still here?

Rulyon:

You prepare yourself mentally for combat. Feeling the familiar rush of dread mixed with adrenaline-laced anticipation, you can't say that you're completely disappointed that things came to a head so quickly. Although, you would like to know what spirit-magician-whatever wanted with you. And to give him a piece of your mind for making you walk to this... place.

"Kill them all, no witnesses"? I didn't want to fight you, but you gave me no choice. It's you or me.

As the Lieutenant's screams continue to fill the room and Roald groans on the counter, clutching his shoulder, the hooded mage turns to his men.

"Spread out. Combat positions. Kill all of these -- the stragglers don't concern me," he says quickly. His voice seems to have lost its reverberating tone, but his natural pitch is just as forceful and all the more menacing.

The soldiers, strangely, only shift their positions- as if reluctant somehow... but the man just smiles.

"You are under my orders. Now do as I ask, and remember."

"But, what about the woman? ...Commander?"

"Leave her for now. Disposing of her will take more of my concentration than I cu-"

Rulyon:
Bring my crossbow to bear and shoot the hooded magician.

The magician turns his back on you- on all of you- as if you weren't a threat to be noted. Well, time to change that. Time to see what spirit-magician-whatevers are made of.

You draw the string of your crossbow and carefully place one of your bolts inside its casing. The action seems to take forever- the tension stretching out each moment. But the magician never turns his head; only continues to command his men. Slowly, you bring your crossbow to eye level and...

thwing

...the bolt flies true, heading towards the magician's neck, hidden though it is under the folds of his cloak. Heads turn involuntarily as the high-pitched whistle heralds the bolt's launch, but too late. Your bolt pierces the dark hood of the cloak- and then proceeds to exit the cloak at a different angle, coming to a quivering halt embedded in the wall.

A wrinkle of shimmering light encompasses the magician for an instant, but sparks and fades, and you see the second magician- a scrawny man with a hooked nose- flinch as the last vestiges of his magic are destroyed.

Wards. Hopefully that was the only protection on him.

Maybe he didn't feel it? Wait- he's turning around. He raises his hands, and you prepare to dive behind the counter, when a bellowing Earnan barrels into him.

AerynPierre:

Draw my short sword and power-charge at the soldier nearest me, hoping my quick action will take him by surprise.

Seeing that everyone was focusing on Kyric's crossbow and the incriminating bolt in the wall, you decide it's time for a little distraction.

"Oh- forgetting me, are you?!?"

The lead magician quickly turns his head, but any sharp retort- or spell- that would've been forthcoming was cut short when your sword connected with his shoulder with your full weight behind it, sending him crashing to the ground.

Commander Johannes Reik?

Pain. I had almost forgotten. Physical, of course. Mental is an entirely d- What is happening?

AerynPierre:

What was that...?

The cloak, with its supporting brooch severed, falls to the ground with him, revealing bright, steel chain mail. On the chain mail are two decorated plates with the Reik crest, only slightly malformed where your sword made a jagged gash through it, and around his shoulders are an astonishing collection of military trappings. Rather more imposing is the large broadsword dangling from his belt.

You've already expressed a less than complete knowledge of runes, but the flickering, glowing symbols along the sword definitely bring "magical" and "dangerous" to your mind.

Try to bowl the soldier over and (if successful), strike at the next soldier in line.

The magician, looking more stout and stocky than he did under his cloak, is causing quite a problem with his fall. With the other soldiers swearing and tripping over their fallen leader, you strike at the legs at nearest man to you, and the one whose balance is lacking the most- a brute of a man in full plate armor and wielding an enormous hammer.

You must have cut through the joints of his armor and hit a hamstring or something- needless to say, he goes down like a sack of bricks, taking a couple of others with him.

Selma, whoever she is, has managed to drag herself to a corner of the room and is lying there motionless.

The entire center of the inn is in chaos. Just how you like it. You step back and ready your sword and shield- the archers recovered more quickly than the rest and were retreating to the back of the inn.

Hopefully one of our people will send in some supporting fire.

Just then some supporting fire hit you in the shoulder.

Rulyon:
Then if I'm close enough, pull the knife out of Rupin's hand so he can move, while telling him: It seems the tide has changed, fight with us to kill this man!

The knife goes out easily enough, although the screaming does not. You'd think a lieutenant would be able to handle pain better, but there you go.

A series of images and sensations flash through your mind, vanishing in an instant.

A familiar presence...

"Come Lieutenant Rupin! The tide has changed. These men obviously are not who you think they are, and if you join the fight we'll have the advantage!"

His expression, clouded with pain and fear, finally clears and is replaced with determination.

"Right. Thank you..."

"Kyric."

"Kyric. Now- Cleff, throw me some of that water of yours. You and Pyle stay behind one of the larger tables and be our support. Terrell, get that woman to safety."

"WHAT!? Can't I-"

"Do it, Terrell."

Rupin takes the flask of water offered by Cleff, and pours some over his hand. Almost instantly, the hole begins to seal, flesh re-knitting and nerves connecting as you watch in revulsion, until it is completely healed, aside from some inflamed tissue on both ends of the hand. Rupin quaffs the rest, and charges into the fray.

Talkal:

Throw knives at the archers. After that, draw my sword and attack the nearest soldier, grabbing his sword.

What was that I just felt...?

You look into the chaotic jumble of human flesh within the inn, trying to single out the archers. There's one- struggling to escape from his fellows, ironic really, how th- wait. There's the other, already hiding behind a table in the back.

Carefully selecting your throwing knives from your equipment, you judge their weight in your hand for a moment. You felt as if you had been given the leftovers once you left on this mission.

"This is your chance to prove me wrong..." Holding a knife in each hand, you focus on the first archer...

whoosh
whoosh

But the behemoth in plate armor crashing to the ground was no little distraction, not to mention his fall causing people to fall left and right. The archers stumbled out of the way, and this- plus the smallest miscalculation on your part was enough to throw off the knives' trajectory. One knife came to a relatively harmless landing within a central beam, but the other continued into the crowd, eliciting a cry that was definitely not from one of the archers.

Woops.

AerynPierre:
GAH! MY SHOULDER!

Retreating from the circle of soldiers, you prepare to pull out the knife- these kind of weapons won't do to be left inside such a location- and grit your teeth, stabilizing yourself for the inevitable loss of blood. The main danger of throwing knives such as these was not the depth or length of the cuts they made, but the blood loss that several knives could incur. Well, here goes...

*$#@$*&&**&#*

The blood loss wasn't as bad as you anticipated, but you'll have to keep an eye on it.

You'll deal with the knife thrower later.

Commander Johannes Reik?

"...e our support. Terrell, get that woman to safety..."

These fl... of insight are ...turbing. What could it mean? ...Immaterial.... This fool... neuver... off guard. Must find... body strong mind weak... Oath... Selma

"FOOL!" You yell at the magician... his name you can't remember. These henchmen are useful, but have no creativity of their own. You thought that this group's trio had some promise, but apparently they do not function well without their larger friend.

"STOP HIM!" One of the other militia was attempting to escape with her. You don't have a clear line of sight at the moment... valuable time is being wasted. Any minute now He'll...

WHOOSH

A gust of wind blows the soldier off his feet. A crude, rudimentary spell, but you suppose it will suffice for this situation. At the least it will buy some time.

8680:

Look at that -- they're actually doing well...

They may have a chance after all.

I could help them.

Rupin and the others eventually join the fight, but by then the enemy has obtained a more defensible position. The two archers have retreated to the front and side of the building respectively, and the soldiers still on their feet are covering their fallen comrades.

How will you deal with this much-changed scenario?
Wait - where's Atem?

Summary:

NPCs:

Character Sheets

Spoiler:

Last edited by bigkahuna on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm; edited 9 times in total
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 am

I am abroad, and may thus be somewhat late with my action.
bigkahuna wrote:Saima, whoever she is, has managed to drag herself to a corner of the room and is lying there motionless. [...] These fl... of insight are ...turbing. What could it mean? ...Immaterial.... This fool... maneuver caught me off guard. Must find... body strong mind weak... Oath... Saima [...] Terrell is stunned, knocked against the wall, next to Saima, hiding in a corner.
You mean Selma?
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigkahuna Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Laughing Saima would get a kick out of that.

Yes, I did. Thanks. He must've been randomly on my mind then...

Were you satisfied with the initial portrayal of your character? She should be interesting to write for, especially since we will be getting into some rather combat-heavy sequences and diplomacy/interaction/plot-heavy sequences. Let me know if you're not satisfied with how I portrayed her, and how you meant for her to be shown.
Bigkahuna
Bigkahuna
Worldmaster
Worldmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  8680 Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Seems I won't be late....

Take out my pamphlets, study them, and study also the real combat, analyzing the chaos and noting any peculiarities of offense or defense in the combatants.

bigkahuna wrote:Were you satisfied with the initial portrayal of your character?
Yes.
bigkahuna wrote:She should be interesting to write for, ...
Good.
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  AerynPierre Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Continue my head on assault on one of the standing soldiers, using the sword as an attack/distraction. If an opportunity presents itself, strike at a weak point in armor (preferably neck) with the dagger I pulled from my shoulder.

I love the way you incorporated everybody's actions together. Did a good job catching the "chaos" of battle in this manner, etc. Only problem I have...is well I'm having trouble keeping up with the names of all the NPCs. But I guess my brain might just be working slow...school n all. Neutral

Last edited by AerynPierre on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
AerynPierre
AerynPierre
Avid Roleplayer
Avid Roleplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Saima Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 pm

bigkahuna wrote: Laughing Saima would get a kick out of that.

Yes, I did. Thanks. He must've been randomly on my mind then...

Were you satisfied with the initial portrayal of your character? She should be interesting to write for, especially since we will be getting into some rather combat-heavy sequences and diplomacy/interaction/plot-heavy sequences. Let me know if you're not satisfied with how I portrayed her, and how you meant for her to be shown.

Hah! I'm thoroughly amused. Did you see my request to be added to the waiting list? If not, I humbly request to be added to the waiting list Razz

Edit: Just checked again and I'm already added. Thank you Very Happy
Saima
Saima
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next